Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:36:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A (very) tentative defence of McSheffrey  (Read 6758 times)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
A (very) tentative defence of McSheffrey
« on October 08, 2022, 11:12:20 pm by JonWallsend »
I have been to the last two games and it would take a brave man to argue we were anything other poor in the first halves of each encounter. However, for me, a manager has to earn his corn at half time, and with 5 half time changes across the two games and a change of shape in both games, that has resulted in a marked improvement, you can argue GMac has done that.

Now I realise there are all kinds of counter arguments, in that the baseline was so low it would have been difficult to get any worse and if two up top resulted in a much better second half, then why revert to one up top in the first half today and ultimately we have only returned one point from both games

In terms of being reactive GMac has done that quite well. He now needs to think about homw he sets up from the off in terms of shape and personnel. Woltman looked a proper player when he got on, raw, but a proper player.

I understand there is more to it than just comparing our last two managers over one isolated game but GMacs changes got us back in the game. Richie's changes, particularly taking Moncur  and Archibald off, weakened them considerably and cost them the full 3 points that were comfortably theirs at half time.

Having said that it is a frustrating watch at the minute.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:14:25 pm by JonWallsend »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

anton123

• Forum Member
Re: A (very) tentative defence of McSheffrey
« Reply #1 on October 08, 2022, 11:35:50 pm by anton123 »
He now needs to learn to be pro active from the off ? He’s been in the job a year mate not 2 games man’s not gonna change now I’m afraid we either get rid or put up with him

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 08, 2022, 11:49:12 pm by Canadian Rover »
The second half was still crap. I can't see how I am one of the few to see this. The first half was abysmal, an absolute disgrace.

It appears the expectations are lowered on all fronts. This is League Two. We were supposedly a team with Championship aspirations.

I hate to be negative but watch the attendances drop with what is offered.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 09, 2022, 06:08:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Looking at it in a balanced way, he has just drawn against the top of the league, after being behind. A side that has dropped few points, but hasn’t played the amount of expected top ten teams as we have. We have far more points than we expected from the run of games we faced from the seasons start.

He started off from a deficit point after contributing to our relegation. He made many mistakes in that season. His recruitment wasn’t good. His tactical decisions seemed to go the wrong way on many occasions. He set teams up then reacted to it, often far too late.

This season we had a good pre season. He brought players in that he wanted. On the whole he has done ok with his recruitment. He has brought good players in but we still lack a bit of pace and legs around the side.
He is still picking over protective sides, because he lacks pace in certain areas.

Last season he got heavily punished for being too negative, this season he has got away with it more due to a drop in ability in teams at league two level.
He has again had terrible luck with injuries. He hasn’t had a regular centre back partnership, which in my opinion is one of the core deciders in weather teams do well.

The midfield has had to be chopped and changed on a regular basis, again not helpful.
We lack real incisiveness around the forward positions. We have a good goalscorer but many times Miller has been played up on his own, which has negated his influence.

The thing we keep coming back to is, has McSheffrey gained from last season’s debacle of relegation?. I think he has in making substitutions quicker in games. He just hasn’t got any better at getting that starting line up right from the start.
He reminds me of a lower league Sven Goran Eriksson, “First half not so good, second half very good!.

His points racked up against the supposed better sides in the league has given him a chance. His result against Orient again, gives him enough to still be in the job.
The worrying thing is if we don’t match what we did against some of the better sides from the start of the season, when we meet the sides around the bottom. The Hartlepool game being a case in point.

For me the title is there waiting, up for grabs. We have a squad good enough if the right side is picked. We start games looking to hit teams on the break. The manager needs to show more bravery in his selections.

Woltman needs to be starting just behind Miller. Molyneux and Hurst need letting off the leash.
Clayton and Close have to start doing more.
Williams at this level should be bossing it at the back, if he is that good.
Where is the Knoyle that was picked in a team of the year at a previous club?. Maxwell has potential but he needs to produce more, he’s better than he has shown.

The manager needs to show faith in his team. Stop protecting the back line and go to win games with attacking football. Crowds want to see entertaining football. Yes we stay in games which gives us a chance but so does getting another goal when one nil up.

Each player in that side has more to give. The manager has to give them the confidence that they can go out and beat anything they face in this league. The capability is there both manager and players must believe it for it to happen..

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2022, 07:30:57 am by ditch_drfc »
The second half was still crap. I can't see how I am one of the few to see this. The first half was abysmal, an absolute disgrace.

It appears the expectations are lowered on all fronts. This is League Two. We were supposedly a team with Championship aspirations.

I hate to be negative but watch the attendances drop with what is offered.

Completely agree with this. How is anyone watching that and coming away happy with it? He made 3 subs at half time, but he gambled, he doesn't have a bloody clue what he's doing. It's the mark of a manager that's so out of his depth he's just putting anyone on. Woltman, not played a minute of football in how long? Alright he wasn't bad, but what kind of decision is that.

It's papering over cracks constantly. He needs to go. He HAS to go. How anyone can defend his abysmal managing is beyond me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 09, 2022, 08:11:06 am by Campsall rover »
Looking at it in a balanced way, he has just drawn against the top of the league, after being behind. A side that has dropped few points, but hasn’t played the amount of expected top ten teams as we have. We have far more points than we expected from the run of games we faced from the seasons start.

He started off from a deficit point after contributing to our relegation. He made many mistakes in that season. His recruitment wasn’t good. His tactical decisions seemed to go the wrong way on many occasions. He set teams up then reacted to it, often far too late.

This season we had a good pre season. He brought players in that he wanted. On the whole he has done ok with his recruitment. He has brought good players in but we still lack a bit of pace and legs around the side.
He is still picking over protective sides, because he lacks pace in certain areas.

Last season he got heavily punished for being too negative, this season he has got away with it more due to a drop in ability in teams at league two level.
He has again had terrible luck with injuries. He hasn’t had a regular centre back partnership, which in my opinion is one of the core deciders in weather teams do well.

The midfield has had to be chopped and changed on a regular basis, again not helpful.
We lack real incisiveness around the forward positions. We have a good goalscorer but many times Miller has been played up on his own, which has negated his influence.

The thing we keep coming back to is, has McSheffrey gained from last season’s debacle of relegation?. I think he has in making substitutions quicker in games. He just hasn’t got any better at getting that starting line up right from the start.
He reminds me of a lower league Sven Goran Eriksson, “First half not so good, second half very good!.

His points racked up against the supposed better sides in the league has given him a chance. His result against Orient again, gives him enough to still be in the job.
The worrying thing is if we don’t match what we did against some of the better sides from the start of the season, when we meet the sides around the bottom. The Hartlepool game being a case in point.

For me the title is there waiting, up for grabs. We have a squad good enough if the right side is picked. We start games looking to hit teams on the break. The manager needs to show more bravery in his selections.

Woltman needs to be starting just behind Miller. Molyneux and Hurst need letting off the leash.
Where is the Knoyle that was picked in a team of the year at a previous club?. Maxwell has potential but he needs to produce more, he’s better than he has shown.

The manager needs to show faith in his team. Stop protecting the back line and go to win games with attacking football. Crowds want to see entertaining football. Yes we stay in games which gives us a chance but so does getting another goal when one nil up.

Each player in that side has more to give. The manager has to give them the confidence that they can go out and beat anything they face in this league. The capability is there both manager and players must believe it for it to happen..
Great post SCWK i could have written that myself. Only thing missing from that post was Biggins.
Play him in the free role he had in the 2nd half yesterday and we will see a very good player and he may well get a few goals.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 09, 2022, 08:12:05 am by Chris Black come back »
It’s hard to avoid the conclusion that we are training him on the job and he’s making mistakes and hopefully learning, but we’re not here as a glorified YTS offering. After several years of relatively good managerial decisions, I think we have badly dropped the ball in recent years. It’s pretty chaotic truth be told.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 09, 2022, 08:16:25 am by colincramb »
He’s a poor manager, certainly at this moment in time. That’s the top and bottom of it. Not his fault really, you can blame those above for putting him in the position when he clearly wasn’t ready. He’s now ‘learning on the job’ and as anybody would do in that situation, is making plenty of mistakes. My worry is I see little evidence that he’s learning from them.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 09, 2022, 08:27:55 am by sedwardsdrfc »
What experience in football management did GM have to make us think he'd be a good appointment anyway! No 1st team pro experience as a coach, assistant or anything so it's not surprising he doesn't know how to set a team up.

If we saw him as a manager long term then i'd suggest he had a few years in that role under someone who he can learn from. At the moment we're asking to see an improvement from him that isn't just going to happen. So whats the long terms plan here. Some how sneak into the playoffs and go up and we will be struggling badly next year again. It's inevitable he will go it's like the last days of Boris why not just put us out our misery now and give us a chance.

We won't start building our attendances no matter our league position while the football is this bad. Anyone who is on the fence about coming to see how we are doing won't bother when reading the match reports.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 09, 2022, 08:36:56 am by DonnyOsmond »

Like others have said... That second half wasn't very good, it was still turgid hoofball, we were just a bit more effective at it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 09, 2022, 08:49:15 am by Campsall rover »

Like others have said... That second half wasn't very good, it was still turgid hoofball, we were just a bit more effective at it.
To be fair we were set up to be more offensive and we did pass the ball on the deck Moore than we launched it.
Just simply don’t understand why GM can’t get us playing on the front foot from the off.
His pre match team talk must be a very depressing listen, judging by the way the players are performing.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 09, 2022, 09:54:31 am by roversdude »
I’ve just listened to his interview on RS https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d5n124
He sounds a beaten man, not sure he should have asked them to be more positive it should have been a hairdryer type conversation

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 09, 2022, 10:05:48 am by dickos1 »
Up until we equalised the second half was good,
Can’t understand people saying otherwise,
We were camped in their half and missed a few very good chances.
We were playing a side that win almost every week

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 09, 2022, 10:38:04 am by Canadian Rover »
1st choice keeper

1st choice LB 1st choice CB (plus Faulkner who is a gem but was way down in order) 1st choice RB

A midfield and forward line all signed by the manager.

Yes we are missing Miller.

Taylor and Anderson are no doubt good players - but it would be similar to Liverpool banking on the fitness of Ox and Gomez.  Taylor and Anderson have now terrible injury records - it's a shame but also a fact.

We have the quality in the squad and I do want the manager to succeed- I like his interviews and understand he's always been involved in football. I do think we have missed the energy and enthusiasm that Sinclair brought to the sidelines (although as a exile I am not best qualified to comment on the energy from the sidelines).

We have looked unfit and lacked energy in the games. When we've pushed we've had success...but it's almost like the players aren't actually trying very hard (and it has been this way for years at the club). Something needs to change, maybe that doesn't need to be the manager. But it does need to be the managers/coaches attitude and energy...that must transfer to the players.

Watching the Rovers currently feels like a punishment, not an  enjoyment. And whilst the draining thing has been an issue from the manager this week he must see the fans are drained mentally
 We have lost enthusiasm, enjoyment and entertainment. Our defence of the manager seems to stem from...we can't keep changing manager can we? Of course not. But in equal measure we can't keep accepting this standard of energy, effort and enthusiasm from the team.

To quote the manager himself. There are non negotiables...the fans expectations shouldn't be negotiable either.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 09, 2022, 10:51:01 am by ditch_drfc »

And this confirms that you don't go to the games. We were absolutely not bloody camped in their half for any part of the game.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 09, 2022, 10:55:50 am by ForsolongaRover »
Yesterday was a stark example of how not to manage (the first half) and what might be learned and then done to rectify the situation in the second.

You wonder whether the Analyst’ advice is ignored when first half tactics were planned or whether the advice was poor. Either way, GM has to take responsibility and if George Miller (on iFollow) could see what was going wrong, so should McS. There is no rule against changing shape as the match progresses.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 09, 2022, 11:13:32 am by swintonrover »
The thing that annoys me is how defensive we are, and resort to Mitchell launching it long and immediately we're on the defensive again. In the second half we got it on the floor a bit more, Knoyle and Molyneux had way more success. Then, as soon as we scored, we resorted back to ultra defensive punts from Mitchell (half of which ended up in the stand). It's inevitable we concede in a match as we invite so much pressure we end up making a mistake. If we went out and attacked we'd have far more success, which is why we had all the late goals at the start of the season because we were at a point where we were trying to attack.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 09, 2022, 11:17:23 am by ditch_drfc »
The thing that annoys me is how defensive we are, and resort to Mitchell launching it long and immediately we're on the defensive again. In the second half we got it on the floor a bit more, Knoyle and Molyneux had way more success. Then, as soon as we scored, we resorted back to ultra defensive punts from Mitchell (half of which ended up in the stand). It's inevitable we concede in a match as we invite so much pressure we end up making a mistake. If we went out and attacked we'd have far more success, which is why we had all the late goals at the start of the season because we were at a point where we were trying to attack.

I counted 5 yesterday that Mitchell sent out for a throw in from his kicking. He is woeful at kicking.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 09, 2022, 11:25:17 am by roversdude »
According to GMc we never set up to give them that much room first half, personally I thought he had ala Huddersfield game

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 09, 2022, 11:27:48 am by mushRTID »

I counted 5 yesterday that Mitchell sent out for a throw in from his kicking. He is woeful at kicking.

His all round distribution is woeful and painfully slow.

But he gets away with criticism as he is “a good shot stopper”. Which is b*llocks as any professional goalkeeper should be.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 09, 2022, 11:29:22 am by Butchers Red »
I’ve just listened to his interview on RS https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d5n124
He sounds a beaten man, not sure he should have asked them to be more positive it should have been a hairdryer type conversation

Terrible interview, sounds absolutely drained and bereft of ideas how to change things. Doubtless GMC is a lovely bloke and doing his best but displays no signs of either managerial or leadership qualities, on or off the pitch.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 09, 2022, 11:30:08 am by roversdude »

But he gets away with criticism as he is “a good shot stopper”. Which is b*llocks as any professional goalkeeper should be.

Most of the time there is no one to throw/kick to quickly

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 09, 2022, 11:31:39 am by mushRTID »

Yes agree but it’s also probably disheartening to them that when there is a quick throw available he almost always ignores them.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 09, 2022, 11:33:33 am by ditch_drfc »

Disagree with your there. Yesterday molyneux spent most of the game up on the top left waiting for the ball, hand in the air, not once did it land to him. Instead, Mitchell kicks to the right wing, every single time. He's too predictable. If he's so bad at kicking, which he is, then play it short.

As for the comment about him not getting criticism above because of his shot stopping ability, I agree, he gets away with it. His slow distribution is painful, we've been ready to counter so many times and he looks lost.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 09, 2022, 12:33:33 pm by Lesonthewest »

But we weren't camped in their half though were we. We upped the tempo a bit for 15 minutes or so  & strung a few passes together going forward, but we were never ever camped in their half.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 09, 2022, 12:36:36 pm by Lesonthewest »

Terrible interview, sounds absolutely drained and bereft of ideas how to change things. Doubtless GMC is a lovely bloke and doing his best but displays no signs of either managerial or leadership qualities, on or off the pitch.

'Work hard & run around a bit, really?

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 09, 2022, 12:46:00 pm by POD »

Disagree with your there. Yesterday molyneux spent most of the game up on the top left waiting for the ball, hand in the air, not once did it land to him. Instead, Mitchell kicks to the right wing, every single time. He's too predictable. If he's so bad at kicking, which he is, then play it short.

As for the comment about him not getting criticism above because of his shot stopping ability, I agree, he gets away with it. His slow distribution is painful, we've been ready to counter so many times and he looks lost.

I think the reason that Mitchell kicks out to the right wing is that he is told to by the coaching staff.   There was no variation to this, again presumably because he has been told not to play out from the back as we haven’t got the players who are able to do this reliably.   

One other thing that frustrated me yesterday was the number of times we won throw ins in their half and instead of throwing it forward and having the chance to get into their box, we threw it backwards to a defender who was immediately closed down, resulting in a back pass to Mitchell who would kick it up the right wing again.   

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 09, 2022, 12:56:06 pm by ditch_drfc »

I think the reason that Mitchell kicks out to the right wing is that he is told to by the coaching staff.   There was no variation to this, again presumably because he has been told not to play out from the back as we haven’t got the players who are able to do this reliably.   

One other thing that frustrated me yesterday was the number of times we won throw ins in their half and instead of throwing it forward and having the chance to get into their box, we threw it backwards to a defender who was immediately closed down, resulting in a back pass to Mitchell who would kick it up the right wing again.   

You're probably right, but it's a tactic that doesn't make sense. Especially when it's every time. I just think if molyneux is that open, then occasionally it needs to be switched up to allow molyneux to get the ball and work it into the box.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:25:44 pm by ditch_drfc »

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 09, 2022, 01:15:10 pm by bobbymax »
I personally think that our horrendous injury list is keeping the manager in a job at present but the lack of an obvious game plan starting every week simply can't be ignored for ever. It's no good saying he saw what was wrong and changed things at half time. he persists in playing with just one up front and you don't need to do that against any teams in this league. A back three would be ideal when Oluwu and Anderson are fit and I'd be tempted to go with that even before they come back. Knoyle is a much better wing-back than full-back to start with.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 09, 2022, 01:30:11 pm by roversdude »
Anderson was out training pre game Agassi can’t be too far away

TinyPortal © 2005-2012