Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:51:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goal kicks playing out from the back  (Read 1636 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Goal kicks playing out from the back
« on December 18, 2022, 12:25:37 am by phil old leake »
I don’t know if I’m out of touch with the modern game but I see keepers and 2 defenders inside the box at nearly all goal kicks on TV

I just don’t get it    They dilly dally around at the back and quite often look like they’re going to get into trouble and often after a few passes where they have made no progress the keeper gets the ball and launches it up the field.

Does anyone else find it a bit strange

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Goal kicks playing out from the back
« Reply #1 on December 18, 2022, 12:30:42 am by Chris Black come back »
It’s the high risk but unavoidable way of trying to beat the press, in the absence of having a midfield of Iniesta, Xavi and Copps who could play through the press. You draw the press upfield and then quickly try and get behind them. Can’t say it always works for us mind.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 18, 2022, 07:29:35 am by Jimmydee »
Pep started this method, he got rid of Joe Hart because of his poor dribbling ability even though he was the England keeper.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 18, 2022, 11:02:13 am by Draytonian III »
Yeah Pep started this method and it works when the team has his players in it, but it doesn’t work when it’s a League Two team, it invites pressure on in the final third

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 18, 2022, 11:05:10 am by Colin C No.3 »
It doesn’t work when Mitchell rolls the ball out to RSW.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 18, 2022, 02:56:50 pm by donnievic »
Teams do it to try and keep the ball and try and have full backs also out wide to open the space up to recieve it or so more space for midfielders to have,keeper going long it turns into a 50/50 ball then your also playing for 2nd balls which yes you could be winning and further up the field or quiete easily losing and being straight back defending

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 18, 2022, 03:47:36 pm by glosterred »
I don’t mind when we play out from the back, but it has never fills me with confidence when we do. I’m always expecting it to be f*cked up one way or the other.

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 18, 2022, 03:55:45 pm by drfchound »
I understand your trepidation gloster and it is natural to feel that way.
Even the best teams mess it up sometimes.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 18, 2022, 04:01:57 pm by scawsby steve »
Absolutely atrocious. An accident waiting to happen. When some of the best defenders in the world struggle with it, it tells you how difficult it is.

Lower league clubs shouldn't go anywhere near it.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 21, 2022, 09:22:46 am by KingKendrick »
Absolutely atrocious. An accident waiting to happen. When some of the best defenders in the world struggle with it, it tells you how difficult it is.

You’re saying lower league clubs should only play long ball?
I beg to differ. We lose the ball far less playing out from that back than we do Mitchell pumping out of play or straight onto their centre backs head to come straight back at us

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 21, 2022, 10:12:39 am by Silkscarf »
Are we now saying 442, big lad and little lad up front with nippy wingers getting crosses in is obsolete?

Call me an old fart but I always enjoyed that.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 21, 2022, 11:04:12 am by tyke1962 »
I think our manager Michael Duff has had it right this season .

Play out when you can whilst not dying on the hill of playing out at all costs .

Nowt wrong with a bit of long ball and win the duel up the park and play from there .

Plenty of ideological coaches buying in to the latest fad because Pep and Jurgen do it when common sense would have kept them in a job .

Nowt complicated about football , work with what you have and there's plenty of ways to skin a football cat .

The only people who complicate it are the idiots of which this game produces plenty .

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 21, 2022, 12:15:18 pm by swintonrover »
Are we now saying 442, big lad and little lad up front with nippy wingers getting crosses in is obsolete?

I reckon it's so out of fashion it would be very effective right now

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 21, 2022, 12:42:10 pm by turnbull for england »
Wouldn't mind peak Heskey / Owen starting  boxing day

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 21, 2022, 01:16:45 pm by Mike_F »

I can see the thought process behind playing out from the back and don't mind it as one of a variety of options to keep the opposition on their toes but I absolutely agree with the desire to play two up top.

We're in League Two and therefore we're not blessed with a cohort of world class players. Two big lads at CB, a target man and a pace man up front together, a stopper and an energetic box-to-box player in the middle and a couple of tricky wingers with overlapping fullbacks would do the job for me at this level.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 21, 2022, 04:21:54 pm by scawsby steve »

You’re saying lower league clubs should only play long ball?
I beg to differ. We lose the ball far less playing out from that back than we do Mitchell pumping out of play or straight onto their centre backs head to come straight back at us

Have a good look at Rotherham, KK. They're one of the most successful lower league sides of the past few years, so playing the long ball game hasn't done them any harm.

I don't see how Mitchell pumping it upfield is a bigger risk than rolling it to Williams in the 6 yard box.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 21, 2022, 04:41:33 pm by redarmi66 »
For me its about mixing it up. Otherwise a team just becomes predictable. Its down to the players on the pitch to make the right choices, the right pass in the circumstances etc. They also need that freedom coached. Freedom to take responsibility. You can see it sometimes when they have been told they must play out from the back and its not working. They just carry on or feel a pressure to do so. Thats when it causes issues.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 21, 2022, 04:47:01 pm by TheFunk »

Bring back Dave Penney!!! Sorry to all you SOD purists, but the football played by Penney's teams is still my favourite era.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 21, 2022, 06:11:51 pm by Cramby10 »

Bring back Dave Penney!!! Sorry to all you SOD purists, but the football played by Penney's teams is still my favourite era.
we even pumped it long under SOD fairly often with Matt Mills long diagonal punts to Mark Mccammon on the left wing. Variety and flexibility is key.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 21, 2022, 08:42:23 pm by ravenrover »
Trouble is we haven't got the big lad to challenge and win the long punt, and when we do win one there is no-one anywhere near to benefit from it

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 21, 2022, 11:11:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let’s be honest, it’s a bit shit at present. Hope it turns around soon.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 22, 2022, 10:16:42 am by Butchers Red »

I Couldn't agree more !!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 22, 2022, 11:20:58 am by Bentley Bullet »

we even pumped it long under SOD fairly often with Matt Mills long diagonal punts to Mark Mccammon on the left wing. Variety and flexibility is key.
All teams do long balls, but some teams pass them to a teammate while other teams simply punt them upfield in the hope of it reaching a teammate. A pass is intentional and a punt is hopeful. Mills' long balls to Mccammon were intended passes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 22, 2022, 12:08:42 pm by selby »
  It is not that complicated, I have no problem passing it out when it is safe to do so, if their is any risk attached to it at all don't bloody well do it, it just makes the area you are defending smaller and allows attackers to get in that area and cause problems that are self made.
  It's about intelligence, knowing when to do it, and midfielders and forwards getting into space to give the man with the ball an option not just standing about with their marker as in the games with Kings Lynn and Colchester.
  We have not got the players with the intelligence or natural ability to know when to mix it up to me, and if the management team insist that is the only way to play, which I cannot imagine they do, but if they do, we will carry on making blunders and looking foolish on occasions, unless the players in front of the back four take responsibility of positioning as well and give them the option of a pass forward, not just a return pass to the keeper keeping us penned into a small dangerous area in front of our own goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012