Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:28:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 2012/13  (Read 1158 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
2012/13
« on January 14, 2023, 10:14:02 pm by phil old leake »
I was watching the Brentford v Bournemouth game today

2012/13 the mighty donny beat both to win the League 1 championship

10 yrs later we are mid table league 2 they’re both in the premiership

Where did it all go wrong

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: 2012/13
« Reply #1 on January 14, 2023, 10:37:01 pm by normal rules »
You have to look back at their history Phil.
From 1978 Brentford remained a third division club ( new lge 1) for 14 seasons. They have a consistency that Rovers have never had. And although they have flirted with the bottom tier for a handful of seasons, they have never dropped into non league. .add to that their statistical and mathematical approach to recruit, backed by some savvy spending and ambition by their board and the success recipe is clear to see.

Bournemouth are a different animal. Millions in debt in 2009. Bought by a Russian businessman in 2011. Jeff misty re appointed as chairman and then getting Eddie Howe as manager are probably the key ingredients behind their success.

Both clubs have spent money, wisely, and had good managers and had ambitious owners. Not without risk. But for both it has paid off. The planets have aligned for them. For now.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 14, 2023, 11:18:31 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
No accounting for which club billionaires choose to buy. Bournemouth is nicer than Donny if your a London based Russian billionaire I’d imagine.

We went wrong appointing Dickov in hindsight. Should have kept us up in the championship and made a hash of a big budget in L1. If your a swing club like Rotherham/Barnsley now you can’t afford to not swing back. Every year at the lower level makes it harder to get back up.

If we replaced Dickov after relegation with say Fergie then we’d probably not be here now. All a long time ago and in fairness the relegation from championship was so close it wasn’t too controversial to keep Dickov

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2023, 09:01:37 am by drfchound »
Yep, Mahrez thinking outside the box, then diving in to it has cost us much.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 15, 2023, 11:08:33 am by Chris Black come back »
We got relegated from the Championship in 2013/14 with actually quite a good side. The issue was that we lost a lot of them, and that summer transfer window Dickov signed a mediocre group of players and then the summer 2015 window an even worse group. By the time he was sacked in October 2015 we had a squad that was million miles away from promotion. 

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2023, 11:44:14 am by Cramby10 »
It was criminal that he was gifted the job of a newly promoted side, riding the crest of a wave to the Championship. He sucked the wind out of those sails very quickly. Apart from being a friend and neighbour of JR’s, he had zero justification or qualification in being handed that job. He was a fraud. Still rankles with me now.
Can you tell!! Ha ha.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 16, 2023, 06:44:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It was criminal that he was gifted the job of a newly promoted side, riding the crest of a wave to the Championship. He sucked the wind out of those sails very quickly. Apart from being a friend and neighbour of JR’s, he had zero justification or qualification in being handed that job. He was a fraud. Still rankles with me now.
Can you tell!! Ha ha.

Me and two other mates went to the Meet the Owners event when Dickov made his first public appearance. After the formal proceedings, he mingled and we managed to catch his eye and he came over for a chat. We welcomed him and asked what we could expect...He came out with a boat load of cliche's and I remember his final words "Any team who comes here will know they're in for a game. Even if we don't win we'll give em a right going over!"

Once he toddled off, I said to my mates "Well?", they both said simultaneously "He's full of sh*te!"

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 16, 2023, 06:52:17 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Can you tell!! Ha ha.

Me and two other mates went to the Meet the Owners event when Dickov made his first public appearance. After the formal proceedings, he mingled and we managed to catch his eye and he came over for a chat. We welcomed him and asked what we could expect...He came out with a boat load of cliche's and I remember his final words "Any team who comes here will know they're in for a game. Even if we don't win we'll give em a right going over!"

Once he toddled off, I said to my mates "Well?", they both said simultaneously "He's full of sh*te!"

... and he was notably "last minute" in all the transfer windows doing his "due diligence" as he put it. That would have been a fair excuse if most of the players he brought in had not been with him in his unsuccessful days at Oldham!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 16, 2023, 07:38:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
Dany N’Guessen.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2023, 09:49:27 am by ForsolongaRover »
The very archetype!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012