Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:29:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Got me thinking  (Read 2649 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Got me thinking
« Reply #30 on January 26, 2023, 08:38:14 am by Campsall rover »
OK. I go back a long way!
Best player - King Alick, no question.
Worst - any one of the 97/98 team apart from Lee Warren.
VFM - has to be Copps.
Flop - Long list but I'd go for either Aiden Butterworth or Justin Jackson.
Potential - Alick, (still head and shoulders above the rest even after injuries), John Nicholson, (tragically), and Tony Coleman - fantastic player but his own worst enemy.
Hard to pick out individuals after following Rovers for 60 odd years, different eras and all that. I've seen some brilliant players in our colours and some that were poor beyond belief. All part of being a Rovers fan I guess.
RTID
No way Aiden Butterworth.  He was a worker if nothing else. He also scored the winning goal at Valley Parade v Bradford City when we were down to 10 men ( man sent off ) Boxing Day game. Can’t remember the exact season. 1980’s obviously under Bremner.
He always gave 100% effort.
We have had 100’s worse than him imo.  As you say the entire 1997/98 team bar Lee Warren just for starters.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 26, 2023, 12:48:54 pm by BobG »
Sorry Camps. If you mean the Boxing Day game at Valley Parade where we were down to 8 men, it was Glynn who scored the winner - free kick, of course, just before half time. Butterworth came on as a sub in the second half - and, I am reasonably sure, was sent off about 3 minutes later.

That match was Ian Snodin's finest hour. A stellar performance marshalling 7 outfielders to repel a side who were top of the old third division. Parker, on loan from Barnsley, ran his nuts to water chasing everything that moved up front, and Ian organised a line of 6 strung across the pitch.  The cheeky bugger was even goading them. 'Come on then!'

BobG
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 12:56:27 pm by BobG »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 26, 2023, 02:08:31 pm by Campsall rover »
Sorry Camps. If you mean the Boxing Day game at Valley Parade where we were down to 8 men, it was Glynn who scored the winner - free kick, of course, just before half time. Butterworth came on as a sub in the second half - and, I am reasonably sure, was sent off about 3 minutes later.

That match was Ian Snodin's finest hour. A stellar performance marshalling 7 outfielders to repel a side who were top of the old third division. Parker, on loan from Barnsley, ran his nuts to water chasing everything that moved up front, and Ian organised a line of 6 strung across the pitch.  The cheeky bugger was even goading them. 'Come on then!'

BobG
I think Bob you are thinking of the game at Lincoln when we had 2 sent off. We then scored with 9 men & won 1-0 Ian Snodin scored.
Was it Billy Russell and Dixie Deans that got sent off. Or was Terry Cooper one of them?

I don’t remember us being down to 8 men at Valley Parade.  It was Boxing Day 1984.  I was stood on the open terrace behind the goal with Tony Elder who we sadly lost last May.
Maybe Butterworth didn’t score, I thought he did, maybe he got sent off as you say after coming on.
So are you saying we had 3 sent off? Don’t recall that at all.
Think Glynn did score with that free kick. It’s vaguely coming back to me.
I was certain we only had 1 sent off though in that game.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks!

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 26, 2023, 04:29:59 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
It was 2-0 at Lincoln that Tuesday night and Glyn Snodin was sent off not Billy Russell with Dixie Deans.Yes Ian Snodin had a right game.Remember the win at Bradford.Don't know whether I've seen them win away with 10 men never mind 9 since.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 26, 2023, 08:49:22 pm by BobG »
The match I am referring to was Bradford City away. Boxing Day. City were top of Div 3. Rovers were about 3rd. Glynn scored the only goal, direct from a free kick, before half time. In the second half Rovers ended up with 3 sent off. That led to Ian's finest ever performance.

And Butterworth was one of those sent off.

26th December, 1984.

BobG
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:06:24 pm by BobG »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012