Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:51:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So when do we start questioning Schofield and Copps?  (Read 2554 times)

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
A simple 4-4-2 would get much more out these players.
We do not have have the quality for a supposed 3-4-3 which has never worked and is always a 5-4-1 with panic.

Simple structure which players understand for league 2 football.

A proper keeper wouldn't go a miss either. Loads of them available in transfer window, easiest position to recruit. 

4 at the back means we have the option of not playing Ro-Shaun Williams. He should never play again this season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: So when do we start questioning Schofield and Copps?
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2023, 09:56:12 pm by roversdude »
Easy on FM

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2023, 09:58:12 pm by danumdon »
A simple 4-4-2 would get much more out these players.
We do not have have the quality for a supposed 3-4-3 which has never worked and is always a 5-4-1 with panic.

Simple structure which players understand for league 2 football.

A proper keeper wouldn't go a miss either. Loads of them available in transfer window, easiest position to recruit. 

4 at the back means we have the option of not playing Ro-Shaun Williams. He should never play again this season.

1, We don't have the quality to play 442.

2, We play 521 because we have no quality.

3, Nothing is simple when you don't have quality players.

4, We could barely afford the one we have, where do we get the money for another one, who would take our current one off us?

5, Amazingly over the length of the season so far RSW has been the stand out centre half the we have fielded in a number of matches.

Basically you are questioning the wrong suspects, DS and JC are competing with their hands tired firmly behind their backs, you need to look further up the food ladder.

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2023, 10:12:57 pm by 1-0 to the Doncaster »

4, We could barely afford the one we have, where do we get the money for another one, who would take our current one off us?

5, Amazingly over the length of the season so far RSW has been the stand out centre half the we have fielded in a number of matches.

Basically you are questioning the wrong suspects, DS and JC are competing with their hands tired firmly behind their backs, you need to look further up the food ladder.
[/quote]

we don't play 5-2-1

RSW is hardly the stand out centre half - he's abysmal.

And our keeper is really really poor - which has been obvious since his debut against Rotherham.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2023, 10:15:14 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Disagree. 343 is not a way to try play with poor quality.

If you lack quality you keep it simple and try to play in the oppositions half. Burnley didn’t stay in the prem all those years because they had great players. Then aimed to be the best in both penalty boxes in a game. Like we did when we were champions of L1. I’m not saying we should become a direct team, it won’t suit the player, but play a way that lets us get players forward. We will concede goals it’s a fact so we have to score 2-3 goals to win.

It’s easy on FM to get rubbish players playing fancy formations that work well in the coaches training courses. In reality you end up with a striker getting very few opportunities a game

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2023, 10:18:17 pm by DonnyOsmond »

If you lack quality you keep it simple and try to play in the oppositions half. Burnley didn’t stay in the prem all those years because they had great players. Then aimed to be the best in both penalty boxes in a game. Like we did when we were champions of L1. I’m not saying we should become a direct team, it won’t suit the player, but play a way that lets us get players forward. We will concede goals it’s a fact so we have to score 2-3 goals to win.

It’s easy on FM to get rubbish players playing fancy formations that work well in the coaches training courses. In reality you end up with a striker getting very few opportunities a game

Have you ever played FM?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2023, 10:20:57 pm by danumdon »

we don't play 5-2-1

RSW is hardly the stand out centre half - he's abysmal.

And our keeper is really really poor - which has been obvious since his debut against Rotherham.
[/quote]

Initially i was going to say the 521 was obviously a typo but thinking about it we DO play like a 521.

Can you name me a centre half who has played well this season in more than a couple of matches?

Glad we agree on something, he cost us peanuts, where do we get one that actually costs us money and is better?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 28, 2023, 10:23:35 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Have you ever played FM?

Not got a few years now but was well into it at one point.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2023, 10:41:21 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’ll answer the question posed in the thread title, the answer is yes

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 28, 2023, 10:48:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
Now

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 28, 2023, 10:56:05 pm by Red wizard »
Ds should go Monday morning. I don't think coops is to blame imo. Way our last appointments have gone copps will probably get offered the job. I just pray he don't take it as I'd hate his name get tarnished.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 28, 2023, 11:03:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Ds should go Monday morning. I don't think coops is to blame imo. Way our last appointments have gone copps will probably get offered the job. I just pray he don't take it as I'd hate his name get tarnished.
Don’t be ridiculous.
The last thing we need is another managerial change.  DS has only been in the job 3 months.

This is not his team. Give him time to build his squad this summer.
Clear out some dead wood. We do have some good players just not enough of them at present.
Based on today Brown and Lavery look decent. Maybe we can get Brown on a permanent in the summer if he looks the part.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:17:09 pm by Campsall rover »

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 28, 2023, 11:14:18 pm by Red wizard »
Maybe I am been harsh but I just don't think things will change under our current owners and he will eventually end up getting the sack and we will of wasted time. We need a leader, a proven lower league manager who has worked with a small budget. And no I don't have any suggestions but I'm sure there are some out of work who we could get. I hope I'm wrong and I never normally call for the manager sacked so soon but he was  the wrong choice. I hope I'm wrong and have to eat humble pie.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 28, 2023, 11:21:34 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Copps actually head hunted DS, if he’d been available in the summer GM would have been sacked then, as soon as DS became available GM was gone so yeah Copps is responsible not that I believe either should go, it would be nice for Copps to come out and say what they are trying to achieve but I’m not going to hold my breath on that. What I will be asking will depend on what happens after the window closes because with 3 weeks preparation today was totally unacceptable

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 29, 2023, 12:22:01 am by normal rules »
I said it before.
Copps instigated the HOF job, for himself. Right place, right time, right credentials.
Legend player.
Failing HOF as it stands, and waste of money.
Happy to be proved wrong.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2023, 12:28:24 am by andyst79 »
If it was me I'd look to play more direct.Miller's not necessarily a target man, but I'd be working on picking up the 2nd ball in the final third. Hurst , Molyneux & Biggins are dangerous around the box

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 29, 2023, 12:42:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We don't play 5-2-1. It just felt like we did today.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 29, 2023, 10:52:27 am by ForsolongaRover »
It’s a very simple proposition, but should we not expect a good coach to get more out of the less talented players, rather than effectively say they are incapable of improvement? Has he improved any of the players he inherited?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 29, 2023, 11:11:28 am by Canadian Rover »
Easy on FM

The opposite. 3-2-2-2-1 system with high pressing inside forwards with a complete centre forward and playmaking central midfielders alongside a box to box midfielder supported by 2 wing backs instructed to play the ball inside and shoot on sight leaving behind a three man defence with a sweeper keeper is much easier on FM as apposed to real life.

4-4-2 on the other hand seems easier in real life than it would on FM.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 29, 2023, 11:46:38 am by ncRover »
I thought the 2nd half formation looked promising enough. Maxwell and Brown are wingbacks so can’t really do a back 4.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 29, 2023, 11:52:32 am by roversdude »
Can’t really blame DS for yesterday, individual errors to blame in my opinion.
Really thought we would win when we pulled it back to 2-1, well for a couple of minutes.
We played like we’d not had a game for weeks.
Not sure about Nelson but the other newbies looked decent
Sounds like there may be more incomings yet

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 29, 2023, 12:03:08 pm by since-1969 »
Really thought we would win when we pulled it back to 2-1, well for a couple of minutes.
The buck stops with Schofield, he sets up the squad ,leaves better players out of the starting line up ,
he prepares the team tactics , he supposed motivate a team that’s being followed by over 1600 away fans . YES he is to be blamed !!!

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 29, 2023, 12:37:00 pm by Avsuptem »
This thread keeps drifting off topic. I may have been the first one to question the performance of our great legend but then I had good reason. One might simply ask what has he achieved ? It's looking a lot like a jobs for the boys appointment.
Sorry for the plain speaking but I was born and bred in Yorkshire and can't help it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 29, 2023, 01:00:38 pm by roversdude »
What better players did we have ? Basing it on the previous games Seaman played really well as has Molyneux. Both corrected at half time
If the players get motivate themselves in front of that support they are in the wrong profession

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 29, 2023, 01:11:49 pm by Filo »
I thought the 2nd half formation looked promising enough. Maxwell and Brown are wingbacks so can’t really do a back 4.

Go back to the Bremner days, Billy Russell and Glyn Snodin, the full backs played like wingbacks back then

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 29, 2023, 02:28:50 pm by ForsolongaRover »
This thread keeps drifting off topic. I may have been the first one to question the performance of our great legend but then I had good reason. One might simply ask what has he achieved ? It's looking a lot like a jobs for the boys appointment.
Sorry for the plain speaking but I was born and bred in Yorkshire and can't help it.

I agree. It is time to ask what has DS and JC done, not drift into what people think needs to be done. I think he should have improved what he inherited and it would be useful to know from those who are able to go to games whether he has.  Recruiting players of his own choice is only part of the job.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 29, 2023, 02:42:19 pm by Campsall rover »

Go back to the Bremner days, Billy Russell and Glyn Snodin, the full backs played like wingbacks back then
Yes and so did O’Connor and Roberts.

If you have 2 good accomplished mobile centre backs and a strong midfield then in a flat back 4 your full backs can push forward, usually though one at a time depending which side of the pitch you have possession.
Our problem is our centre backs are not as good as Mills and Shakell. Not even Hird and Lockwood. Or McCombe & Jones.
Our midfield is a million miles away from Stock, Wellens, Green, Coppinger, Oster, Woods. Or any combination of 4 of those 6.  They are not even on the same planet as Keegan, Furman, Coppinger, Cotterill, Lundstrum, Bennett. Or any combination of 4 of those 6.

So to cut a long story short ( apologies ) that is why we have the security of 3 centre backs and 2 wing backs.
If we play the system of 4 wide players as we did 1st half yesterday we are going to be in big trouble because we are exposed in the middle of the park.
If DS comes to his senses and plays the 3-4-1-2 as he did most of the 2nd half with Hurst in the hole or almost a free role then we have the ability to hurt teams.
Defensively though we have a problem because none of our 3 centre backs look solid and assured for 90+ mins in any game.  There is always at least 1 massive clanger which costs us a goal or 3 goals as yesterday. 

Olowu needs to be back in the team asap. I do think him and Faulkner are our future.
Get rid of Williams & Long. Jury out on Anderson as he needs to step up to where he was before his injury.
If he is unable to be Thayer same player again then we need a new experience player in there. A leader a proper mister.
Ollie Younger is worth persevering with when he returns, but he is not that big commanding leader centre back we need.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 29, 2023, 02:46:31 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Don’t get why ppl think sacking schofield would change anything, he’s doing a good job imo, got us playing a style of football which is enjoyable to watch. On another day we would’ve got something out of that game and possibly won it (when hurst scored I was confident we were gonna win and would’ve done imo if not for the f**k up by Anderson and Mitchell.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 29, 2023, 02:49:11 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
I think the two up top is key. Lavery looks really decent based on that half, and combined well with Hurst and Miller regularly. it puts us on the front foot.

First half we had the Southgate-special of back five with two holders (Close and Biggins) and it just felt like we were inviting pressure on an already wobbly defence.

We've had most success this year when taking the game to the oppo, it's not time to change manager but he has to be much more pragmatic and get us up the pitch. 4-3-3 my formation of choice - Close, Biggins, Lakin Rowe giving good 'holder' options and Miller, Hurst and Lavery as first choice with Molyneux and Miller II to cover.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 29, 2023, 02:58:45 pm by roversdude »
Don’t get why ppl think sacking schofield would change anything, he’s doing a good job imo, got us playing a style of football which is enjoyable to watch. On another day we would’ve got something out of that game and possibly won it (when hurst scored I was confident we were gonna win and would’ve done imo if not for the f**k up by Anderson and Mitchell.

Well said Bailey

TinyPortal © 2005-2012