Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:01:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game  (Read 2314 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« on February 08, 2023, 10:28:53 am by selby »
  Well a win is a win however it comes about, and for once lady luck was on our side against Tranmere and although we didn't exactly set the world alight with great football, at least we all worked hard, we did try to go forward with the ball, and players like Molineux who is not at his best put in a great effort off the ball and worked his socks off.
   I can deal with that, Miller my MOM for his graft, but others stood up and we got a break, something we haven't had many of this season.
  So a win to follow up on away at Swindon who are smarting from a loss at Newport where they felt hard done by when Rushian Hepburn Murphy was sent off in the first half and changed the complexion of the game, so they will have at least one change and be looking to take their frustrations out on us.
  As ever Swindon always seem to have someone called Williams as their top scorer on nine goals and sit in seventh place with a decent home record so it will not be easy, it never is there for us. Experienced Jody Morris has assembled a team of loanees and as ever cast off youngish players from the area that have been slowly improving over the season and will challenge for the top six.
  Tommy Rowe looks to have added to our long injury list, especially of central defenders although I fail to see us getting the best out of him in either the left back or central defence myself its now down to the bare bones with Faulkner away on loan.
  Our other best defender Olowu showed in short time last night what we have been missing and its great to see him back in the team, probably unfortunately playing to impress other clubs if we don't work fast and pin him down with another contract, it could be more good money thrown away.
  The new players added to our team last night and look good additions and hopefully some of our other players will draw some confidence from the result and show better form, and such as Biggins is not missing for long through injury.
  I would have no problem with Flint and Petch if he is not injured being back up defenders out of the u18s they could have decent futures Flint also can shove in at defensive mid fielder although not quite ready  if he pushes on he could be another gem coming through and it looks like needs must, Petch more the big stopper central defender again not quite there but good cover when needs must.  It just needs balls from the manager to trust youth of our own, something that has not been shown to the fore lately and could bite us in the backside in future.
  So a long journey to play a decent side, but at least we should be in a better place mentally, Trust the big word in our wide men taking the last players on, which we at least tried to do last night, trust in the new and young players, and hopefully players returning to the squad like Biggins who is a miss when not there, and stick with one of our best defenders and get Olowu on the field of play.
  What do you think? Are you travelling down? lots to discuss about the team and the game itself, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2023, 12:50:40 pm by selby »
  Again what we really need is a result and try and get a bit of momentum going forward.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2023, 07:21:26 pm by ncRover »
We are only 2 points off the play offs because it has been 13 games since we’ve drawn.

If Nelson is fit I’d like to see both him and Olowu in defence.

Lakin will keep his place, he was our best player v Tranmere.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2023, 08:18:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
Pretty average home record. 23 points from 14 games. We have 25 points over same games.

Have scored 8 goals in last 2 homes games, putting 5 past Grimsby and 3 past Gillingham.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2023, 08:53:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If we are to play 3 at the back it has to be Nelson Anderson and Olowu if they are fit. Williams ain’t going to improve any further unless Rashford comes every week

Other than that go for the same team as Tuesday imo.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2023, 09:17:15 pm by selby »
  Nelson like Rowe might not be fit for a while according to one of the lads last night at the game, he is easy on the eye but positionally not a great defender, the Hartlepool right side attack pulled him all over the place especially in the first half.
  The team that won and ended  the game last night needs another chance after a clean sheet, and it is about time we got some consistency in our selections unless because of injury.
  Olowu gives us stability and pace.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2023, 09:22:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
If Nelson is out it’s another justification for dropping the 3 at the back. It won’t happen but feels like we have to have an extra player to cover Williams. The simple solution is to drop him.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2023, 09:31:36 pm by selby »
  If Nelson Rowe and Long are out injured and Faulkner out on loan Sedwards, who would you bring in? and what line up, as you say it is not very likely not going with a three is going to happen.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2023, 09:47:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
  If Nelson Rowe and Long are out injured and Faulkner out on loan Sedwards, who would you bring in? and what line up, as you say it is not very likely not going with a three is going to happen.

Well if it was up to me I’d play Olowu and Anderson in a 4. Get another player, probably Lavery, higher up the pitch. Think everyone wants to see that.

It’s a choice to play 3 at the back not the law. For Swindon if DS still wants to play that then it’s the 3 that finished the Tranmere game by the sounds of it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 09, 2023, 12:59:38 pm by selby »
  I can't see that happening this weekend in this game, but could be changed to it during the game Seward if we have to chase it.
   We need to build on the Tranmere game, the mistake was the Hartlepool game chasing it and tinkering with the set up in the last quarter, and we need to make ourselves harder to play through, that has been the big problem this year when we lose the ball up field the front players and especially the mid field are easily played through, a lot of our problems have been heaped on the back line when they have had little help in front of them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:57:05 pm by selby »

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 09, 2023, 08:14:22 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
A lot of games this month so a good chance to finally get some consistency going, not easy games with us mostly playing teams around us but still in with a chance of the play offs and a win with 2 good team goals and a clean sheet should do wonders for confidence.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2023, 10:43:27 am by Bessie Red »
We need to go to Swindon with the mindset of firstly not getting beat and look to score on the counter. There were signs on Tuesday that we are capable of keeping a clean sheet so that should be the major aim on Sat. get a point min and get out of there. We need to start building some consistency and that starts with a solid defence.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2023, 12:58:43 pm by ncRover »
Charlie Austin vs RoShaun Williams?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 10, 2023, 02:33:09 pm by les@donr »
I think we might sneak a win down there

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 10, 2023, 02:46:39 pm by GazLaz »
We have a good record when we have low possession. That’s going to happen.

We are the worst team in L2 when it comes to confessing from counter attacks. Swindon are are not really a counter attacking team.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 10, 2023, 03:16:15 pm by steve@dcfd »
Let’s hope we can get something from this game. Anybody going need to support the players whoever they are or don’t bother going. They will have been selected by the manager and he manages them, recruited by Copps or the recruitment team and funded by Blunt. They will be trying to their best whether it’s good enough is down to the level of player we have.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2023, 05:01:15 pm by les@donr »

Just call me "Mystic Les"  :)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2023, 05:08:11 pm by scawsby steve »

Just call me "Mystic Les"  :)

You can come again, Les.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 11, 2023, 05:30:12 pm by les@donr »
Barrow have a poor away record, and with two wins on the bounce, confidence will be high in our squad, and now have some positive momentum, I predict we will beat Barrow on Tuesday, you heard it first here :)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 12, 2023, 10:09:59 pm by roversdude »
Pity that at the end of the game I couldn’t find the bloke who sold me the half time draw tickets pre game - he was quite vocally predicting that Charlie would get a hat trick

TinyPortal © 2005-2012