Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:30:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yesterday's goals  (Read 1410 times)

Branton Red

• Forum Member
Yesterday's goals
« on March 08, 2023, 07:44:50 pm by Branton Red »
Just watching the highlights from yesterday www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkrNqovVC4k

A couple of things I didn't notice when viewing live.

First goal. Mitchell makes a truly tremendous fingertip save from the initial header. He's very unlucky with the ball coming back of the post straight to their man to score.

Second goal. Watch Ben Close when their number 10 picks up the ball on the half way line. He looks like he's going for an evening jog. Gets out paced by a man in possession. He must be able to see the goal threat developing yet when their player cuts across his path he slows down to let him pass by unhindered rather than putting a challenge in. Unbelievable!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CJK

• Forum Member
Re: Yesterday's goals
« Reply #1 on March 08, 2023, 08:14:46 pm by CJK »
Fantastic save from Mitchell.

Tackling, we don't seem to really do that do we? Stand off and try and Marshall seems to be our approach. Goes back to that goal Hartlepool scored, RSW should have just made contact with the bloke and taken a yellow if need be.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 08, 2023, 08:32:51 pm by Cramby10 »

Tackling, we don't seem to really do that do we? Stand off and try and Marshall seems to be our approach. Goes back to that goal Hartlepool scored, RSW should have just made contact with the bloke and taken a yellow if need be.
we’re not top of the “fair play league” for nothing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 08, 2023, 08:33:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The lad who set that second goal upq was the best player ln the pitch by a country mile.

We haven't picked up a loan signing of remotely that quality since Moore's time.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 08, 2023, 08:38:10 pm by Branton Red »
The lad who set that second goal upq was the best player ln the pitch by a country mile.

We haven't picked up a loan signing of remotely that quality since Moore's time.

Agreed. I thought he was excellent. Even though he was playing for an opponent I enjoyed watching him play.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 08, 2023, 09:34:48 pm by drfchound »

Agreed. I thought he was excellent. Even though he was playing for an opponent I enjoyed watching him play.

I picked number ten out early doors as a very good player and as the second half progressed i had suggested to my mate at the game that he would be the man who scored the winner.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 08, 2023, 09:40:28 pm by drfchound »

With regard to tackling, after reading the thread about the lack of it the other day, we decided to try to count the number of tackles made in the game last night.
Short range interceptions were not counted and neither were blocks from shots etc.
So, in the first half there were just three tackles made by both sides combined.
We were bored by the second half so forgot to do the counting in that period.
It isn't just us who doesn't get tackles in then.
Perhaps it is because players tend not to hang on to the ball much, instead it is often played first time.
Or maybe it is because players don't often try to dribble past opponents as was the case a few years ago.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 09, 2023, 06:27:51 am by andyst79 »

First goal. Mitchell makes a truly tremendous fingertip save from the initial header. He's very unlucky with the ball coming back of the post straight to their man to score.

Second goal. Watch Ben Close when their number 10 picks up the ball on the half way line. He looks like he's going for an evening jog. Gets out paced by a man in possession. He must be able to see the goal threat developing yet when their player cuts across his path he slows down to let him pass by unhindered rather than putting a challenge in. Unbelievable!
Absolutely pathetic by Stock any player worth his salt would have dragged the player back by his shirt at the very least. I've said all season I fail to see what he offers us. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 09, 2023, 07:42:38 am by drfchound »

Absolutely pathetic by Stock any player worth his salt would have dragged the player back by his shirt at the very least. I've said all season I fail to see what he offers us.

Strangely enough Andy, I can see why you might have subconsciously written Stock, instead of Close.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 09, 2023, 07:53:55 am by ncRover »

Strangely enough Andy, I can see why you might have subconsciously written Stock, instead of Close.

Yep, a poor imitation. I wouldn’t be surprised if the likeness was a basis for signing him.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 09, 2023, 10:06:46 am by i_ateallthepies »
No semblance of a similarity in footballing terms.

And just to comment on Close's contribution for the second goal, he wouldn't ever put on the Rovers shirt again for me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:29:27 am by i_ateallthepies »

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 09, 2023, 11:14:59 am by moses »
Our one chance from Luke Molyneux came from a centre forward winning a header from a long goal kick. Good to see a centre forward win a header.

Champagne Super Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 09, 2023, 11:48:57 am by Champagne Super Rovers »

l
He was already on a yellow so would have seen red if he had

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 09, 2023, 12:21:39 pm by danumdon »

l
He was already on a yellow so would have seen red if he had

The Stock reference made me chuckle and then longingly think back to what a Rolls Royce of a player he was for us at our level, Close on the other hand is for us a luxury player who we can least afford to carry, for me he just does not create or deliver that killer ball enough to warrant a place in what for us is a very lightweight midfield. On what we have just now it's got to be Lakin and Biggins just for the extra work rate if anything else, if he's not creating anything of note then we are very much reduced in our defensive play.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 09, 2023, 03:13:08 pm by andyst79 »
Ha ha sorry my bad, not fit to lace his boots

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 09, 2023, 08:14:55 pm by Lesonthewest »

Yes & we allowed him to be for the whole game, shocking management.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 09, 2023, 09:06:07 pm by andyst79 »
Our one chance from Luke Molyneux came from a centre forward winning a header from a long goal kick. Good to see a centre forward win a header.
It's not necessarily the winning of the header ( as long as we challenge for it at the very least)  it's winning the 2nd ball that's crucial . I remember reading an interview from Sam Allardyce years ago where he said the 1st thing he would do when he took over a struggling side was get the defence to pump the ball into the final 3rd and work on picking up 2nd balls and play from there. Pretty effective if you ask me, especially in League 2. The Molyneux chance is a prime example of what can be achieved, we simply aren't good enough to play out from the back and it just invites unnecessary pressure.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 10, 2023, 07:02:49 am by ncRover »
Lavery has a better jump than George but it’s a low bar

TinyPortal © 2005-2012