Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:16:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: League 2 2023-24 The size of our task  (Read 1321 times)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
League 2 2023-24 The size of our task
« on March 26, 2023, 12:00:04 pm by Butchers Red »
Looking ahead to next season - and totally ignoring whoever comes down from League 1, and those sides who miss out on promotion - Rovers will have an almighty task to rise from this shambles and get anywhere near automatic promotion.

Just look below us at the teams likely to be joining us;

Wrexham - worldwide famous owners with deep pockets, built a strong and committed side who held their own against top championship sides in the FA Cup and are blowing their league away scoring over 100 goals already. Gates of over 10,000 in a 3 sides ground with a 4th set to take them to 15,000 plus gates. Great Manager in Phil Parkinson with massive experience and a great CV at league 1 / 2 level

Notts County - massive history, fantastic ground, hot on Wrexhams tails with over 100 goals and 1 striker with 39 to his name- over 16,000 in their ground yesterday- young coach but clearly knows his stuff

Chesterfield - arch rivals of ours, on a great run, gave West Brom a run for their money in the FA Cup and now getting gates of over 9,000, solid experienced manager in Paul Cook who also knows Leagues 1 and 2 inside out.

Barnet and Woking also not far away who have graced the EFL before.

None of those sides play a lone striker, but have cohesive,well organised sides who all fight for the cause and play entertaining football.

The football Schofield plays will be destroyed by all these sides- he has to go and go NOW

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
Re: League 2 2023-24 The size of our task
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2023, 12:04:59 pm by Bessie Red »
Looking ahead to next season - and totally ignoring whoever comes down from League 1, and those sides who miss out on promotion - Rovers will have an almighty task to rise from this shambles and get anywhere near automatic promotion.

Just look below us at the teams likely to be joining us;

Wrexham - worldwide famous owners with deep pockets, built a strong and committed side who held their own against top championship sides in the FA Cup and are blowing their league away scoring over 100 goals already. Gates of over 10,000 in a 3 sides ground with a 4th set to take them to 15,000 plus gates. Great Manager in Phil Parkinson with massive experience and a great CV at league 1 / 2 level

Notts County - massive history, fantastic ground, hot on Wrexhams tails with over 100 goals and 1 striker with 39 to his name- over 16,000 in their ground yesterday- young coach but clearly knows his stuff

Chesterfield - arch rivals of ours, on a great run, gave West Brom a run for their money in the FA Cup and now getting gates of over 9,000, solid experienced manager in Paul Cook who also knows Leagues 1 and 2 inside out.

Barnet and Woking also not far away who have graced the EFL before.

None of those sides play a lone striker, but have cohesive,well organised sides who all fight for the cause and play entertaining football.

The football Schofield plays will be destroyed by all these sides- he has to go and go NOW

Just to ne a pedant Woking have never been an EFL team, however I agree with your comments.
If Chesterfield don't go up, if I was Copps I would be approaching Paul Cook in the summer with an offer he couldn't refuse, then back him in the window. I reckon he would get us up to Lge 1 pretty sharpish.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2023, 12:13:52 pm by Donnywolf »
Well we saw yesterday that promotion from a poor Division is possible for a poor Team *

So if we "get our act together" , or DS gets his own Players , or The Club loosens the purse strings or a combination of those 3 we too could put one over on those Teams quoted

* I thought Northampton were fairly good but have been told by several people (8 or 10) that they were poor and had we not gifted them 2 goals it would have been 0 0 so I guess I was wrong

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2023, 12:22:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well we saw yesterday that promotion from a poor Division is possible for a poor Team *

So if we "get our act together" , or DS gets his own Players , or The Club loosens the purse strings or a combination of those 3 we too could put one over on those Teams quoted

* I thought Northampton were fairly good but have been told by several people (8 or 10) that they were poor and had we not gifted them 2 goals it would have been 0 0 so I guess I was wrong
When you think about it, it probably would have been 0-0 had we not gifted them their goals. Other than that they were just as shite as us.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2023, 12:24:48 pm by bpoolrover »

the problem was Northampton had around 10 players injured

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2023, 12:28:09 pm by normal rules »
There is also the distinct possibility that the trapdoor down to non league will get a little bigger with talk of three up three down.
Not confirmed yet, but it could be in place for next season.
That has me more worried than the competition for promotion, if Schofield remains in place.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2023, 12:49:50 pm by Lesonthewest »
If things stay the same, I would take survival next season, seriously.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2023, 01:50:27 pm by monkeytennis »
Totally agree. There’s no ‘bouncing back decisively’ on the horizon as far as I can see.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2023, 02:04:38 pm by Campsall rover »

the problem was Northampton had around 10 players injured
They only had 3 regulars missing from their starting 11
The bench contained 6 players I wasn’t familiar with. 

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2023, 04:05:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Most of our problem is that we just don’t get enough of the eleven players on the pitch playing well. The formation isn’t helping and the rigid way the manager wants to play no matter what. It’s good he believes in something but with the players he has it isn’t going to work. He should be thinking what he can do to retain his job. He needs a run of good results to do that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2023, 04:28:41 pm by Campsall rover »
Most of our problem is that we just don’t get enough of the eleven players on the pitch playing well. The formation isn’t helping and the rigid way the manager wants to play no matter what. It’s good he believes in something but with the players he has it isn’t going to work. He should be thinking what he can do to retain his job. He needs a run of good results to do that.
It is quite obvious he isn’t going to get success playing the way he wants to in this league.  Not a chance.
He needs to go now.
New man in asap so he can assess what’s needed and start on the recruitment as soon as the season has ended.
We need to be seriously pro active on this and subsequent recruitment.  We need a manager who has a CV of success at this and or League 1 Someone who has the tee shirt.

We will see now whether the board are interested any more or not. 

Whatever it costs we can’t make the same mistake again. That seriously would be criminal.  That will cost a lot more i the long term than investing now to to succeed.  It’s a no brainier.

Who wants to buy a club with the team on its last legs in lower reaches of League 2 or struggling in the National League.
If they want to sell then surely we are much more saleable to a prospective buyer as a Club on the up  getting promoted or already promoted to League 1

It’s not rocket science is it.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2023, 04:40:46 pm by Draytonian III »
What is the closest pub to the training ground, because if Paul Cook became manager of Rovers he’d be doing a lot of business in there

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2023, 04:45:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Bechers Brook. Literally right outside training ground.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 26, 2023, 04:50:19 pm by Butchers Red »
What is the closest pub to the training ground, because if Paul Cook became manager of Rovers he’d be doing a lot of business in there

And how is that relevant??

Do Chesterfield's recent results, and his overall career suggest there is a problem with that?

13 year managerial career with a win percentage of 41.67%

Sounds like a rather snide, low blow comment that one mate.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:54:52 pm by Butchers Red »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 26, 2023, 05:05:35 pm by ravenrover »
Judging by the last 2 managers summer signings would we be happy letting DS loose with the kitty if he is still here in the summer?
Not so sure I would

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 26, 2023, 05:10:45 pm by Draytonian III »

And how is that relevant??

Do Chesterfield's recent results, and his overall career suggest there is a problem with that?

13 year managerial career with a win percentage of 41.67%

Sounds like a rather snide, low blow comment that one mate.

It’s not a snide comment, he’s known for holding court in a local pub with his staff, ask a Chesterfield supporter

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 26, 2023, 05:23:43 pm by scawsby steve »

Paul Cook can drink as much as he likes. He's f*cking light years ahead of Schofield as a manager.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 26, 2023, 05:30:11 pm by Campsall rover »

Paul Cook can drink as much as he likes. He's f*cking light years ahead of Schofield as a manager.
SS I have never even met you. But you will be light years ahead of Schofield as a manager.

That’s the problem he is a coach and a youth coach or u21 coach.
Setting up and managing an EFL Club 1st team is at beyond his capabilities.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012