Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:43:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: James Coppinger  (Read 6396 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: James Coppinger
« Reply #60 on March 29, 2023, 06:30:52 pm by Upton Rover »
I’m sure it was stated by this board at the start of the season we had one of the best budgets in this league, now Copps says we are 12th and that’s right for our budget, something not right there, someone as a big nose, what if we drop another 4 places is 16th about right. I think Copps is trying to say he’s pissed off like most of us are.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 29, 2023, 06:49:02 pm by ChrisBx »
How on earth have we ended up with a mid-table League Two budget?

Absolutely shocking that they've just dropped this into the public domain with no substantial explanation as to what's gone wrong and how they plan to fix it.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on March 29, 2023, 07:25:48 pm by Pliskin »
The 7th largest home attendances in L2

Plus

The extra money generated from the Club Doncaster model (we'd be much worse off without it, we're told)

Plus

The extra money put in by the board (we'd be much worse off without them, we're told)

Plus

Taking a budget hit last season to pay off Covid debts (unlike all those silly other clubs)

Equals

The average League 2 budget

Must be missing something.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:33:08 pm by Pliskin »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 29, 2023, 07:31:19 pm by mushRTID »
The 7th largest home attendances in L2

Plus

The extra money generated by from Club Doncaster model (we'd be much worse off without it, we're told)

Plus

The extra money put in by the board (we'd be much worse off without them, we're told)

Plus

Taking a budget hit last season to pay off Covid debts (unlike all those silly other clubs)

Equals

The average League 2 budget

Must be missing something.

Don’t forget the funds put aside for January + Tomlins wages saved + knoyle wages saved + knoyle fee + Andrews going back + Clayton wages saved all pointing towards a cracking January budget….only to clearly cut costs not really strengthen.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 29, 2023, 07:39:48 pm by donnybez »
Okay...

So the budget due to others outspending us is now mid table. Okay, well I figured that was the case with the exits and the quality of player incoming. Frankly the boards attitude to the playing budget seems to be cutting it quite close to austerity.

I wouldn't be as upset if the team we'd amassed were entertaining and by that I don't mean 50 pass moves... I mean putting in a shift, taking shots on goals, putting in tackles , playing with some sort of purpose.

But they aren't. If we were winning more games, putting more shots on goal, putting in a shift and not endlessly hearing about the 'fundamentals' we wouldn't be so focused on this issue.

The reality is the budget is the issue we are focusing on because the squad and management have been so shocking for 2 solid years now.

For me more broadly though, the club needs to recognise it's decision making has for some time been woeful; its attitude to budgets has consumed all other matters to a detrimental effect; and that it's treatment of fans needs to improve drastically.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on March 29, 2023, 07:58:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »
This talk about league position broadly reflecting the budget can only be true if the capability of each club's scouting and recruitment personnel is comparable.  Us assuming that because we are twelfth that means we have a mid table budget could be way off the mark in either direction, although our recruitment has been rank bad for the last two or three years.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on March 29, 2023, 08:44:16 pm by roversdude »
Interesting interview. For me it just underlines what I believe already- that sustainable or not, the sporting element of the club (and the reason we turn up on a cold Tuesday night) is poorly run.

From the scoreboard being broken for months, to the PA system you can’t hear, to the catering obviously awarded to the lowest bidder without any concern for quality and value, to quite senior people now admitting that the budget isn’t enough, and most importantly to the dire football on display every week with abysmal results.

If not netto it’s Asda Smart Price!

Surely the catering would have gone to the highest bidder

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 29, 2023, 08:59:20 pm by TommyC »
Gavin Baldwin himself said that budget equates to league position.

His words, not mine.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 29, 2023, 09:33:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Personally don’t buy it that our budget is that low unless there’s some short term issues. As Philskin and Mush point out just on a simple comparison we should be bringing in the revenue to be higher.

All the talk of our none football income is a joke if with the 7th highest attendance we are lower than 7th in the squad spend.

Only way I can square it in my head is that we aren’t spending all our budget because of Tomlin, Knoyle, Clayton and more loans leaving than coming in. So maybe on actual expenses we are 12th but if we spent it all we’d be higher than 7th.

If this isn’t the case I’m tempted to say Copps is chatting nonsense to cover for the terrible recruitment. Like Gaz says he sounds like a typical manager in the summer moaning about the signings he can make. It’s a deflection because he’s feeling a bit of pressure.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 29, 2023, 09:40:14 pm by aidanstu »
Like I’ve said all along the board have been gaslighting the supporters; how do VCS members who sit on the board or shadow board not know this; what’s the point in them. It’s either the case that they themselves have been lied to or they are complicit.

I made a statement the other day saying that the board are at loggerheads each month about the shortfall and how to make payment for players wages; I put this directly to SM and never got a response. Again SM are you going to confirm this is the case?

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 29, 2023, 09:48:30 pm by DD »
Regarding budget - it has been stated before obviously - but one large salary could be saved if we got rid of both Coppinger & Schofield - and replace them by one competent, experienced person!
And then hopefully we would know who was making signings, who was responsible for strategy & tactics - just ONE person - who is responsible to the board - measured on performance & thus hired & fired by the board

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 29, 2023, 09:50:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Regarding budget - it has been stated before obviously - but one large salary could be saved if we got rid of both Coppinger & Schofield - and replace them by one competent, experienced person!
And then hopefully we would know who was making signings, who was responsible for strategy & tactics - just ONE person - who is responsible to the board - measured on performance & thus hired & fired by the board

If our Chairman could be trusted to not let managers completely dismantle the squad and proactively appoint managers then Copps role wouldn’t be needed.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 29, 2023, 10:06:17 pm by BradwellRover »
Reads like an attempt to avoid responsibility to me and deflect blame.

If he was my employee I’d be having serious words about airing dirty linen in public as well.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 29, 2023, 10:16:14 pm by Dare to dream! »
Has anyone got an actual quote of Baldwin/board saying we have a top six budget this year?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 29, 2023, 10:28:15 pm by Alan Southstand »

Only one problem with that scenario - who picks the new manager? Because our record over the last 3 seasons has been questionable. And, once you think you’ve got the right guy, you need to back him with a budget that reflects where you want him to take the Club.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 29, 2023, 10:43:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »

We'd be back where we were 12-36 months ago which wasn't much better.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 29, 2023, 10:56:09 pm by Bessie Red »
Like I’ve said all along the board have been gaslighting the supporters; how do VCS members who sit on the board or shadow board not know this; what’s the point in them. It’s either the case that they themselves have been lied to or they are complicit.

I made a statement the other day saying that the board are at loggerheads each month about the shortfall and how to make payment for players wages; I put this directly to SM and never got a response. Again SM are you going to confirm this is the case?
You did get a response, he asked you who your so called reliable source was!

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on March 29, 2023, 11:02:27 pm by aidanstu »
How is that a response to a yes or no question ? I’m not revealing my source; I want to
Know whether he or anybody else is n a position to confirm, or deny it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on March 29, 2023, 11:32:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just a thought.

SM tells us (and there's no reason to doubt it) that last season's budget should not have seen us relegated.

If this season's budget is only midtable L2, that implies a large cut in the wage bill from.ladt season to this.

But now look at the players we lost from last season

Bogle
Dodoo
Hiwula
Cukur
Dahlberg
Ed Williams
Bostock
Smith
Galbraith
John
Vilca
Odubeko
Martin
Gardner

Think how few of those would improve the current squad.

Smith
Galbraith
Martin
Maybe 3 out of 14.

And in the summer we signed

Miller
Hurst
Molyneux
Long
Maxwell

Not all successes, but most at least on a par with the ones we lost.

We have a better or at least, not worse squad now, on, apparently lower wages.

What in God's name were we paying those deadwood players last year?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 30, 2023, 02:39:54 am by Campsall rover »
Just a thought.

SM tells us (and there's no reason to doubt it) that last season's budget should not have seen us relegated.

If this season's budget is only midtable L2, that implies a large cut in the wage bill from.ladt season to this.

But now look at the players we lost from last season

Bogle
Dodoo
Hiwula
Cukur
Dahlberg
Ed Williams
Bostock
Smith
Galbraith
John
Vilca
Odubeko
Martin
Gardner

Think how few of those would improve the current squad.

Smith
Galbraith
Martin
Maybe 3 out of 14.

And in the summer we signed

Miller
Hurst
Molyneux
Long
Maxwell

Not all successes, but most at least on a par with the ones we lost.

We have a better or at least, not worse squad now, on, apparently lower wages.

What in God's name were we paying those deadwood players last year?
Too much.
We do have a better squad this season BST imo.
As you say only those 3 players above would get into this team we have this season.

We have showed in 4/5 games we could be a very good team in League 2 this season but only in those few games.
This coach is destroying what flair and attacking ability we have. He is eroding the confidence of Mitchell, Brown, Close, Hurst, Molyneux & Miller in particular.
Not only is that happening but the whole team is deteriorating as an entity and DS is not only not improving them but actually making them look really poor as individuals. More and more mistakes are occurring as DS as a coach is asking them to play to such a rigid inflexible system.
The opposition know how we will play and it’s so easy for them to nullify us. We are so easy to play against.

If he is determined to stick with this “process” as he calls it then I believe we are in big trouble.

I know this season is now dead but we need to build some positive momentum going into next season.
I honestly now don’t see where the next win is coming from, especially as so many players are going down with long term injuries.
Strange when confidence is eroded more and more injuries are occurring. Coincidence or not?

Very worrying times indeed.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on March 30, 2023, 09:25:36 am by ravenrover »

Didn't SM also say it was nonsense?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on March 30, 2023, 10:05:38 am by ncRover »
Will Copps be whinging about the budget when Accrington and Sutton finish above us next year?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 30, 2023, 10:33:22 am by steve@dcfd »
Will Copps be whinging about the budget when Accrington and Sutton finish above us next year?
Why do you believe our budget is better than theirs now I’m not sure it not all about the budget. But it is when the Chairman believed we could get straight back in to league 1

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on March 30, 2023, 10:38:45 am by ncRover »
Why do you believe our budget is better than theirs now I’m not sure it not all about the budget. But it is when the Chairman believed we could get straight back in to league 1

Of course. I’m glad he has exposed the lies of the owners. I just don’t think it’s helpful for him to use it as an excuse going forwards when we need people to step up, be strong and take responsibility right now. We won’t have saleable assets if DS keeps worsening the football team and the right recruitment* isn’t made.

*playing and coaching staff
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:44:54 am by ncRover »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on March 30, 2023, 11:26:07 am by ravenrover »
Wasn't the comment about a top 6 budget made at the start of the season?

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on March 30, 2023, 12:29:40 pm by Petche »
All this talk about budgets, is it really the issue?
Imo the squad isn't that bad, they are under performing of that there is no doubt, but why?
For me it's back to the manager and his stubborn, unworkable tactics. Many things which have been discussed on here - playing Rowe in defence when it's clear he is more effective in midfield, playing a lone striker, arguably our most attacking threat (Knoyle) moved to Central defence, moving out a promising youngster (Faulkner).
None of it makes any sense and is suppressing any confidence the team had.
I just hope there are questions being asked of the manager because bringing in someone new and more experienced playing the basics would have us performing better.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on March 30, 2023, 12:45:47 pm by aidanstu »

Didn't SM also say it was nonsense?

No he didn’t; he avoided the question, boated of his own accolades and asked for my source.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 30, 2023, 01:01:21 pm by ncRover »
Wasn't the comment about a top 6 budget made at the start of the season?

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-chief-executive-gavin-baldwin-addresses-season-expectations-and-pressure-on-gary-mcsheffrey-3855367

An interesting read…

Why is Schofield being held to different standards to McSheffrey?

“It is understood Doncaster have one of the highest budgets in the division”

Tommy A

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on March 30, 2023, 01:14:25 pm by Tommy A »
I’m not sure why posters are taking a budget v mismanagement stance

The budget has been massively slashed over the last 5 to 6 seasons and we also have a crap manager, resulting in the perfect storm of shiteness that we now see on the field

The two are not mutually exclusively

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on March 30, 2023, 03:06:47 pm by Prez »
Has anyone got an actual quote of Baldwin/board saying we have a top six budget this year?

SM did say on a thread last year that we would be a major player in league 2 with a budget that would make us a standout contender.

Now that has to be better than an average budget what we have now don’t you think? And in Martins defence that’s what he was told I’m sure.

Somethings changed somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:01:04 pm by Prez »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012