Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:28:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 4791 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« on April 03, 2023, 12:15:25 pm by selby »
  So our spectacular fall from grace over the last few games continued v Crewe on Saturday with probably the worst team performance in the first half since we last went out of the league in the 1990's and little sign that our much vaunted coach/ manager whatever he is just ignores what is before his eyes and carries on regardless.
  Will we ditch the dream football and be competitive at last on Friday, will we be the ultimate Easter Bunnies and roll over and die once again while religiously following the managers instructions of fast flowing football from dream land.
  Reflecting on Saturdays performance and the clubs dire position Clayton's ( the Bradford City player of the month by the way) and Tomlins stance are now not so surprising, it's hard to see seasoned professionals standing for so much bull shit and the showing up they were going to have to endure  knowing we were incapable of the managements vision of complicating a simple game with the players at their disposal some of which are not even Division 2 standard.
  The two shining lights were both from the academy and the youngest on show, Faulkner and the even younger Goodman, their problem being it seems keeping their place that their performances should guarantee, being from the academy seems to be a disadvantage and in Faulkners case the first one to be jettisoned from the team while more technical players give goals away week in week out farting about with the ball in the penalty area or having air shots the oppositions striker says thank you very much for take that 1-0 to Crewe.
   So on to Gillingham, the prettiest little town in England not, but a team that seems to have hit their bottom and are now getting better, at a place where we get nothing usually even when we were a decent team.
    Their last two home games were wins v Carlisle who mullered us and Crewe who made us realise how poor we are Saturday so not a good looking game for us to contemplate travelling all that way to watch, anyone that does really are die hard fans and have my utmost respect.
   Olowu's injury does not help if not fit, he is one of our better players, and no doubt our coach will be looking at his runes and planning a tactical masterpiece, although if the Gillingham manager phones the Crewe manager he will be able to tell him exactly what to expect no doubt.
   So what do you think? how will the names come out of the hat this week to play? who would you pick?
  lot's to talk about , please have your say.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:17:47 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

anton123

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #1 on April 03, 2023, 12:20:28 pm by anton123 »
One thing for sure , get your house on Gillingham

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 03, 2023, 12:22:07 pm by donnybez »
We'll put 11 players on the field.

They'll follow the process.

We'll lose.

Fans will vocally let our feelings be known.

The club won't listen.

Aaaaaaaaannndddd repeat.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 03, 2023, 12:46:29 pm by MachoMadness »
No.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 03, 2023, 01:13:54 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
One thing for sure , get your house on Gillingham

we couldn't even beat Gillingham Town at the moment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillingham_Town_F.C.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2023, 01:16:24 pm by tommy toes »
Remember those Hitler parodies? Someone did one about the Rovers.
Another one with Schofield as Adolf with his bemused lieutenants standing around too scared to argue would be about right.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2023, 01:38:26 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I%u2019ve probably been there almost as many times as I%u2019ve been to Doncaster in the past 4 or 5 years and I have disliked it even when we have (occasionally) won.

Their very vocal owner was unpopular for years and years and you would not have expected anyone to have wanted to take them over - yet it happened. And the previous owner is still hanging on to some of his shares. The other interesting thing is that Neil Harris has kept his job. Then again he has had success at other clubs and therefore a lot of experience.

I shall not go this time, but despite everything, I don%u2019t expect I will be able to resist the live stream.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 11:37:56 pm by ForsolongaRover »

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2023, 01:41:23 pm by donnybez »
Another one with Schofield as Adolf with his bemused lieutenants standing around too scared to argue would be about right.
If Saturday was owt to go by, one of his liuetenants Greeny seemed to very annoyed by the display and actually wandered up to point flaws out only for DS to shake his head?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2023, 05:41:02 pm by scawsby steve »
Gillingham spent big in January, and signed players like George Lapslie and Ollie Hawkins.

I've a feeling we'll get blathered.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2023, 06:40:27 pm by Chris Black come back »
They have a superb recent home record - won 7 and lost 1 of their last 8 home league games. Most of them have been dross but still, a very good run.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2023, 06:58:50 pm by scawsby steve »
They have a superb recent home record - won 7 and lost 1 of their last 8 home league games. Most of them have been dross but still, a very good run.

You're right, CBCB, some of them will have been dross, but we're on a different level of dross to anyone in the league at the moment.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 03, 2023, 07:00:24 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Gillingham spent big in January, and signed players like George Lapslie and Ollie Hawkins.

How did they do that, SS?  Everybody knows there's no talent worthy of the word available in January.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 03, 2023, 07:14:56 pm by Upton Rover »
Can’t be bothered to take about it

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 03, 2023, 07:31:29 pm by scawsby steve »

How did they do that, SS?  Everybody knows there's no talent worthy of the word available in January.

Exactly. Apparently, they were taken over by new owners who've invested heavily in the playing side.

It shows that it can be done. I guess they're just lucky. Like Wrexham.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 04, 2023, 03:57:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
Who would have thought that investing in the playing side could actually improve things? Whatever next - getting an experienced manager in?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2023, 04:17:51 pm by TheFunk »
If Saturday was owt to go by, one of his liuetenants Greeny seemed to very annoyed by the display and actually wandered up to point flaws out only for DS to shake his head?

Aye Greeny was definitely not a happy bunny. Him and Chad were definitely not seeing eye to eye.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 04, 2023, 05:11:23 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
There’s your next rovers manager Paul Green.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 04, 2023, 05:22:34 pm by donnybez »
There’s your next rovers manager Paul Green.
*Interim*

I'm sorry but Butler, Wellens and McSheffrey have put me off ex drfc player managers

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 04, 2023, 07:44:55 pm by scawsby steve »
Any predictions of the score line against Gillingham?

I'm going 4-0 to Gillingham.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 04, 2023, 08:11:11 pm by monkeytennis »
3 or 4 nil I’d say. We’re going to get thoroughly rogered unless there’s been some kind of miracle between last weekend and this.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 04, 2023, 08:26:02 pm by idler »
Who would have thought that investing in the playing side could actually improve things? Whatever next - getting an experienced manager in?

Gillingham were spending to stay in the decision though. We were supposedly looking at players to not only get into the play offs but step up to League 1 if we were promoted.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 04, 2023, 08:32:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Any predictions of the score line against Gillingham?

I'm going 4-0 to Gillingham.

21 October 1995 last time Gillingham managed to score 4 at home against us (4-0).

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 04, 2023, 08:47:11 pm by eastender »
I can see us getting Crucified on Good Friday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 04, 2023, 08:50:16 pm by roversdude »
Yep they’ve only got to put crosses in and they’ll nail it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2023, 08:51:53 pm by drfchound »
But will we make a comeback on Monday?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 04, 2023, 09:08:54 pm by scawsby steve »

Gillingham were spending to stay in the decision though. We were supposedly looking at players to not only get into the play offs but step up to League 1 if we were promoted.

I think it's a bit more than that, Idler. Gillingham have spent a lot this January, and I reckon they're building a side for promotion next season.

Some of the players they have now would be OK in League 1 IMO.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 04, 2023, 09:16:30 pm by ravenrover »
Just out of interest, well not really, if games are stopped to allow breaking the fast for Ramadan what allowances should be made for devout Christians, we have at least one,  on Good Friday? A 20 minute sermon, prayers and a choir?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 05, 2023, 01:41:37 pm by selby »
  From past experience of visits to Gillingham for past games, if the players are not up for a physical challenge, and normally getting very little from the referee it will be a long journey back to Doncaster after the game.
  Another poor showing in mid field and we will be over powered.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 06, 2023, 10:50:30 am by steve@dcfd »
With Olowu out with a grade 2 tear of his hamstring then looks like Bobby should be playing every game now. So the back three and midfield have got to be up for a physical battle and they have skilful players aswell since January

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 06, 2023, 11:32:11 am by Chris the Rover »
Any supporter travelling down there to watch this deserves a medal. I fear a right mullering.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012