Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 04:19:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger Interview RE Funds  (Read 5319 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger Interview RE Funds
« Reply #60 on April 15, 2023, 10:22:50 am by dickos1 »
It all depends what is the interpretation of significant funds.
We will only see when players accept contracts. We will see when the recruitment team bring in players to strengthen improve significantly the squad. If transfer fees are off the agenda especially for players like strikers and quality midfield players then are we improving the squad quality wise. This transfer window will show if the owner, chairman, HoF and manager know what is required both financially and player wise to achieve promotion next season.

Why wouldn’t players out of contract improve our squad? I just don’t get this logic at all.
We’ve signed dozens of players out of contract very the last 15 years who drastically improved our squad.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 15, 2023, 11:31:00 am by Sprotyrover »
Byzantine Politics! Significant funds could mean anything! I would hope TB intends spending enough money to get us promoted next season, and I would be that if not a penny was spent on Transfer fees we need half a dozen burly journeymen to kick and punch our way out of this division, the same again in league one, it’s when /if we hit the Championship that significant transfer funds are needed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 12:21:59 pm by Sprotyrover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 15, 2023, 11:36:13 am by steve@dcfd »
We will only see when players accept contracts. We will see when the recruitment team bring in players to strengthen improve significantly the squad. If transfer fees are off the agenda especially for players like strikers and quality midfield players then are we improving the squad quality wise. This transfer window will show if the owner, chairman, HoF and manager know what is required both financially and player wise to achieve promotion next season.

Why wouldn’t players out of contract improve our squad? I just don’t get this logic at all.
We’ve signed dozens of players out of contract very the last 15 years who drastically improved our squad.
We’ve also signed dozens in the last two seasons who have been a waste of money and no where near the quality required to improve the squad. They’ve have contributed to 63 losses in 110 games. So you carry on justifying the club.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 15, 2023, 11:47:11 am by Canadian Rover »

We’ve also signed dozens in the last two seasons who have been a waste of money and no where near the quality required to improve the squad. They’ve have contributed to 63 losses in 110 games. So you carry on justifying the club.

The whole point of Terry's statement was to acknowledge the lack of investment in the previous seasons and the impact that had. And that he was going to make a significant investment to right that wrong.

He's a proven businessman that's placed more money into this club than anyone else in its history.

Let's not judge the signings we haven't made yet... Let's look forward to seeing what happens.

If that means we are spending the budget on RSW & Mitchell as number one then we can expect failure in the future. But we aren't there. Finally we may have something to look forward to.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 15, 2023, 11:52:53 am by steve@dcfd »
The decision making between now and the start of next season will enable us all to see what happens we all want our down fall to change.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on April 15, 2023, 11:53:35 am by ravenrover »

And whose fault is that?
Got nothing to do with whether a player is signed as a free transfer or with a fee it's down to a poor decision made by whoever made the signing, nothing to do with justifying the club as you put it.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 15, 2023, 11:56:46 am by ravenrover »
The decision making between now and the start of next season will enable us all to see what happens we all want our down fall to change.
Sadly Steve I don't think that that is the case. There seems to be a number of posters on here who would be delighted to see us fail just so they can say "see, I told you so"

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 15, 2023, 11:58:33 am by steve@dcfd »
When insufficient funds are available then you making risky signings some have been that. The decision makers in the recruitment process should have had more backbone and said no we can’t sign  who we want. Now significant funds are available?? then we will see what the recruitment we get and one would hope they have a backbone and ensure we get the quality we need.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 15, 2023, 12:01:00 pm by StocksArmy »
I don't doubt that the funds aren't significant however there are 2 gigantic red flags and they are DS & JC. I don't trust them one bit to recruit well enough to even make a play off push. The fact that talks are ongoing over new contracts is a big one for me. Who can anybody want to keep any of those remaining players that are out of contract? The club need to take action before the funds are wasted. Imagine we spend a lot of money and get relegated? Would be detrimemtal to everybody involved with the club. To build bridges with fans you sometimes have to give in to what they want and the feelings are pretty much unanimous amongst us all. It will take some coming back from this.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on April 15, 2023, 12:35:03 pm by GazLaz »
What concerns me is the fact that in James’ interviews he always says, pretty much word for word, exactly the same thing. Schofield is the same. They’ve both spent time speaking to people to and have been exposed to people that know what they are doing, they’ve picked up the ideology and the spiel… but… I’m not sure they really have the capacity to implement what they think they believe.

There’s never any indication of what is happening from Copps. There’s never any nuance or detail that paints any picture of where any potential improvements will come from. The only thing I’ve ever heard him say that has changed recently is that we need to spend more money! We’ve painted ourselves into a corner with this whole situation.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 15, 2023, 12:50:01 pm by Canadian Rover »
We’ve painted ourselves into a corner with this whole situation.

Whilst we've painted ourselves into a corner JC has been painting the facilities at the training ground. The lack of investment and spending by the club has been pitiful. I really hope Terry's statement will make a huge difference to the club overall.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 15, 2023, 01:01:00 pm by GazLaz »
We’ve painted ourselves into a corner with this whole situation.

Whilst we've painted ourselves into a corner JC has been painting the facilities at the training ground. The lack of investment and spending by the club has been pitiful. I really hope Terry's statement will make a huge difference to the club overall.

If he did that he’s even worse at the role than I thought. We don’t pay him 6 figures to be a painter. Get the youth team to do it and he could spend his time more productively trying to find a way out of this mess.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 15, 2023, 01:04:44 pm by German Rover »
Anyone else watched this yet?

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/coppinger-on-budget-boost/

I found his comment around the 2:15 mark about 'not having money to go and buy players' interesting - that does pour cold water on the 'significant' part of the new funds available I feel.
Will they need to use some the money to pay up contracts just to get players out of the club before they bring players in … it may not leave much left to play with !

Why would it mean they have less money to play with? The payoff would be offset by not having to pay their wages all year
I thought that paying up a contract meant,  paying all what would have been earned in one hit ? But  I see what you mean , that the money for their salaries is already in the tin ! But why in the past have we had trouble getting players off the books that were not needed ?
If you give them 50% say of their contract and they get get another deal quickly they can  be earning rather than wasting away in the reserves and then scrambling for a deal elsewhere.

But they agreed a contract and have bill to pay same as rest of us. Why should they accept half their contract to go away? It's a job at the end of the day

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 15, 2023, 01:19:00 pm by Scooter »
I think there are 2 sides to every story. Copps is hardly going to reveal every intricate detail to the media.
Yes it’s great Terry is putting more money in but I doubt that will allow us to sign fantastic players. That money is likely to include other costs including the infrastructure and support staff. I doubt our budget will surpass the likes of Wrexham and Notts county.
We are in a slump which we need to wake from to avoid being another Scunthorpe.

We have had bad luck, ridiculous injuries, underperforming players, and individual mistakes. This triggers anxiety and negativity amongst the fans which in turn triggers anxiety and pressure amongst the players.
They are then exposed to constant social media abuse plus booing at games. If a player sees the comments online it will affect them.
Also, imagine trying your best at work and then at the end of your shift some random person is booing you and telling you to F off.

Danny is working under extreme pressure with limited resource and so far only one transfer window

I think we should write this season off, enjoy the summer and be refreshed and ready to go in August. Get behind the team as they need our support. A few good results and the outlook looks brighter

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on April 15, 2023, 01:36:28 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I think there are 2 sides to every story. Copps is hardly going to reveal every intricate detail to the media.
Yes it’s great Terry is putting more money in but I doubt that will allow us to sign fantastic players. That money is likely to include other costs including the infrastructure and support staff. I doubt our budget will surpass the likes of Wrexham and Notts county.
We are in a slump which we need to wake from to avoid being another Scunthorpe.

We have had bad luck, ridiculous injuries, underperforming players, and individual mistakes. This triggers anxiety and negativity amongst the fans which in turn triggers anxiety and pressure amongst the players.
They are then exposed to constant social media abuse plus booing at games. If a player sees the comments online it will affect them.
Also, imagine trying your best at work and then at the end of your shift some random person is booing you and telling you to F off.

Danny is working under extreme pressure with limited resource and so far only one transfer window

I think we should write this season off, enjoy the summer and be refreshed and ready to go in August. Get behind the team as they need our support. A few good results and the outlook looks brighter

Whilst I can follow your logic, it is a question of who should lead us and persuading the support, the majority of which are utterly disillusioned to get behind Schofield is unrealistic. I think Copps still has respect, but only if he breaks with DS.

The only way that DS might have a chance of rehabilitating himself would be if he won the rest of this season’s games.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 15, 2023, 01:48:24 pm by NickDRFC »
I don’t get it when people say things like “imagine people booing you at work”. It’s football. ‘Twas always thus, and anyone taking on a managerial role is aware that this is one of the major downsides associated.

If someone came and booed me admittedly I wouldn’t like it but my first reaction would be to be astonished rather than upset.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 15, 2023, 08:26:12 pm by dickos1 »

Come on Steve, that’s the whole point.
We’ve not been able to sign the better players out of contract.
But to suggest good players can’t be players that have run down their contract like Marquis did, like wellens did, like Anderson did is just nonsense

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on April 15, 2023, 09:39:57 pm by donnybez »
Free agents can make a huge difference - but at this level we are competing with FL1,2 and some VNL sides for the same pool of players and unfortunately we aren't exactly selling ourselves well at the moment. Team underperforming, stadiums half empty most weeks, and poor decision making leading to high staff turnover on field and in managers office. So if I'm unattached would I come to Donny who've been on decline for years, or head to somewhere with some sembelence of team spirit? and a feeling of 'going somewhere'.

Yes I hear you with regards to fees but as we discovered with Whiteman - we can sign better players for minimal amounts now and release some of the future capital should they go for big bucks - whilst slapping similar on the buying clubs.

I think whilst we have signed many a great free agent such as Rob Jones and most of that FL1 Title side, if we need to pay a reasonable fee to another club for someone that'll make up our teams spine for the next 3/4 years we shouldn't baulk at that investment and instead of one or other - lets blend the approach.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 15, 2023, 09:49:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think signing a loanee permanently for a transfer fee is ok. Like we did with Whiteman where you know he’s good and can see improvement.

But if we just go and sign other L2 players for cash it’d probably be a waste. Take Knoyle who is a good player at this level. I wouldn’t want us spending 100k on him. They’ll be free agents as good if not better.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 15, 2023, 10:57:28 pm by BradwellRover »
Surely the biggest problem here is that none of the people on the football side seem to have a grasp on reality, and no tangible plan?

The whole interview is delusional. 

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on April 16, 2023, 09:21:53 am by i_ateallthepies »
Paying fees for players nowadays is a nonsense.  You're just putting money into the clubs you're in competition with.  Use the money to attract the better players out of contract.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 16, 2023, 09:29:51 am by sedwardsdrfc »
What concerns me is the fact that in James’ interviews he always says, pretty much word for word, exactly the same thing. Schofield is the same. They’ve both spent time speaking to people to and have been exposed to people that know what they are doing, they’ve picked up the ideology and the spiel… but… I’m not sure they really have the capacity to implement what they think they believe.

There’s never any indication of what is happening from Copps. There’s never any nuance or detail that paints any picture of where any potential improvements will come from. The only thing I’ve ever heard him say that has changed recently is that we need to spend more money! We’ve painted ourselves into a corner with this whole situation.

Yeah sum up what I was saying about “right age” “quality” “good character”. Just a given we should look for that. With confidence in your ability been quite low genuine insights would give people confidence the money will be well spent.

It’ll always come down to what you do rather than say but you can buy yourself breathing space by selling the future to people.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 16, 2023, 10:37:24 am by ncRover »

Yeah sum up what I was saying about “right age” “quality” “good character”. Just a given we should look for that. With confidence in your ability been quite low genuine insights would give people confidence the money will be well spent.

It’ll always come down to what you do rather than say but you can buy yourself breathing space by selling the future to people.

George Miller signed on his character and right age alone without any thought as to how he would fit in to the team or compliment the other players.

I still remember James Brown coming here after Stockport and saying the group were better as “everybody got on”. Meanwhile they prioritise correctly and have put together an automatic promotion challenging team. Albeit with a larger budget.

Yes we don’t want Reo Griffiths-like signings but like you said that should be obvious. Recruitment really need to get real and think and try harder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:54:29 am by ncRover »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 16, 2023, 11:41:04 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We tend to recruit players with previous problems with injuries. We do this because most of the time they are cheaper wage wise I would think. That’s why season after season we have a run of injuries.

We haven’t spent on actual fees with the odd exception for years. I didn’t expect the increased money going to be put it would mean many if any where we paid a fee.

A lot of times when we have paid a fee that hasn’t worked either. It doesn’t guarantee you success. You can build a talented organised squad on free transfers, if you have the right manager.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 16, 2023, 03:08:36 pm by roversdude »
Sammy who have we signed who has come to us with injury problems (recently)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on April 16, 2023, 03:35:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
Low energy, low stamina, low intensity, low physicality, low speed, low concentration. These appear to be the main attributes we recruit for.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 16, 2023, 03:42:04 pm by Branton Red »
Coppinger "We've had a lot of conversations with players that want to come to us because of how we play"

Who are we signing this summer then?

A bunch of insomniacs?!!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on April 16, 2023, 04:42:05 pm by German Rover »
We tend to recruit players with previous problems with injuries. We do this because most of the time they are cheaper wage wise I would think. That’s why season after season we have a run of injuries.

We haven’t spent on actual fees with the odd exception for years. I didn’t expect the increased money going to be put it would mean many if any where we paid a fee.

A lot of times when we have paid a fee that hasn’t worked either. It doesn’t guarantee you success. You can build a talented organised squad on free transfers, if you have the right manager.

I agree with your point about injury prone players probably being cheaper, it always irks me that as a squad we always seem to never match up to any opposition we play, for a few seasons now we've looked leggy and slow with players who disappear after an hour due to fitness issues.

Is there something we can do about this?, of course there is, we should be concentrating on having strength and conditioning coaches at the club who can actually do the role, if the last few seasons are anything to go by then we have been sold a pub.

Small technical players with no strength and speed will always need some sort of a positive to get through the season, im sure with the right system we could of got at least another 20% out of this lot, if we had done so last year we would not be at this level now.

Very surprised this has still not been rectified, would you buy a race horse and then have your local pikey train him? (not aimed at anyone at he club)

You make a good point, which would be even better without the racist slur in the last paragraph.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 16, 2023, 05:00:24 pm by monkeytennis »
It’s still a slur no matter how you mean it. And it didn’t really add to the comment.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 16, 2023, 05:06:52 pm by monkeytennis »
Well you could have said caravan enthusiasts :-D

TinyPortal © 2005-2012