Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 02:16:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger Interview RE Funds  (Read 5316 times)

donnybez

• Forum Member
Coppinger Interview RE Funds
« on April 14, 2023, 01:00:29 pm by donnybez »
Anyone else watched this yet?

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/coppinger-on-budget-boost/

I found his comment around the 2:15 mark about 'not having money to go and buy players' interesting - that does pour cold water on the 'significant' part of the new funds available I feel.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Coppinger Interview RE Funds
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2023, 01:11:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Anyone else watched this yet?

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/coppinger-on-budget-boost/

I found his comment around the 2:15 mark about 'not having money to go and buy players' interesting - that does pour cold water on the 'significant' part of the new funds available I feel.

Why does it pour cold water on it? The vast majority of transfer business is done without transfer fees.

Even with extra funding, I wouldn't want to be blowing a fair portion of that on fees unless there were no other choices.

I'd rather be competing better on wages than owt else for 'quality' players.

Common sense really.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2023, 01:16:22 pm by monkeytennis »
It’s just not very inspiring is it? I just wanted to hear him say something like ‘it’s great news, we know what we need and we’ve now been promised the funds to go and get it so we’ve got a very exciting shopping list and can promise our long suffering fans a great season this year’

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 14, 2023, 01:19:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Love to know which players would love to to join us because of how we play!

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2023, 01:24:00 pm by Cramby10 »
Wow. That is some breathtaking bullsh*t. I know he can’t be expected to say anything else but really.
Strong January? Players want to come because of how we play? Processes processes processes! Good lord give me strength!
I lose more respect for him every time he speaks these days.
Read the room mate.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2023, 01:24:11 pm by Batleyred »
He looks a man under a lot of pressure.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2023, 01:28:37 pm by mushRTID »
I thought he looked absolutely knackered too.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2023, 01:29:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It’s just not very inspiring is it? I just wanted to hear him say something like ‘it’s great news, we know what we need and we’ve now been promised the funds to go and get it so we’ve got a very exciting shopping list and can promise our long suffering fans a great season this year’

Yeah it sounds like the extra cash will hopefully help us stay up rather than push us into L1. Don’t know if he just doesn’t have confidence in himself to deliver or it’s just how everyone at the club talks

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2023, 01:38:39 pm by ncRover »
Baz is right Bez. If you’re spending money on transfer fees at this level you haven’t planned very well. We could put together a promotion XI of summer free agents.

Despite that, Coppinger just saying we need “more quality” is vague. I can’t say I’ve heard anything from this interview that reassures  me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 01:50:47 pm by ncRover »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2023, 01:52:32 pm by bpoolrover »
I have no problem with the interview apart from saying adding to the strong squad we have, that is not the case one but, we are never going to sign many that involve a transfer fee but we should be looking at lower leagues and spending on small transfer fees maybe

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2023, 02:23:50 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The point on the squad is fair, we don't actually have a huge squad in place for next season. There is probably only Close and Griffiths of the contracted players I'd not be bothered about keeping.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2023, 02:39:11 pm by wing commander »
 Love Copps as a player true legend.

However if this would have been anybody else who we had brought in to do the job. We would be calling for his head with the rest of our management team. He is away with the fairy's if he wants us to believe we already have a strong squad.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2023, 02:41:31 pm by silent majority »
It’s not the best interview by any means, but when does he ever?

But please don’t misinterpret what he says, when the club said ‘significant’ funds they meant it.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2023, 02:55:33 pm by wing commander »
  Right now nobody can be faulted for doubting that though to be fair mate.They have been very economical with the truth at times when it comes to giving information to the fans thats for sure

A year or so ago I was one of the biggest supporters of this board but now like everyone else.I will wait and see if they back it up as talk is cheap.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2023, 02:59:16 pm by Sprotyrover »
Looks like the Significant funds roughi equate to Three Bob and a ‘Blackies Egg’

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2023, 03:07:03 pm by roversdude »
Looks like the Significant funds roughi equate to Three Bob and a ‘Blackies Egg’

Why ??

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2023, 03:15:30 pm by elmsallrover »
Love to know which players would love to to join us because of how we play!
player's that are big and powerful but with little or no skill at all

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 14, 2023, 03:19:37 pm by silent majority »
  Right now nobody can be faulted for doubting that though to be fair mate.They have been very economical with the truth at times when it comes to giving information to the fans thats for sure

A year or so ago I was one of the biggest supporters of this board but now like everyone else.I will wait and see if they back it up as talk is cheap.

Or in the case of TB talk isn't cheap!!! Not for him anyway.

WC, when did TB ever issue a statement that didn't turn out to be correct?

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 14, 2023, 03:59:24 pm by oggycompton »

But please don’t misinterpret what he says, when the club said ‘significant’ funds they meant it.

Are you aware of the funds being spoken about? Are we talking a genuine go for it kind of budget.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 14, 2023, 04:07:35 pm by dickos1 »
We do have some folk who are clueless supporting this club.

1, not many clubs pay transfer fees at league 1 or league 2 level.

2, what do you expect him to say? We’ve got shit loads of cash and invite other clubs to put 10% on any value of the player we’re trying to sign.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:19:10 pm by dickos1 »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 14, 2023, 04:15:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m less worried about what ‘significant’ means than I am about who is going to be doing the shopping!

I’ve seen enough of the shower that’s managing the first team to last a lifetime. God forbid we give the present incumbent the additional resources! Let’s get that sorted first and then, perhaps, we can all re-align again.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 14, 2023, 04:27:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Are you aware of the funds being spoken about? Are we talking a genuine go for it kind of budget.

Why don't you wait and see? I have absolutely no doubt folk will find ways to criticise the club one way or another whatever the budget. Shoot first and ask questions later seems to be a more common approach these days. Just look at the other thread on the same subject.

At the end of the day, it'll be more about how the money is spent rather than how much. It's another test of Copps and his preparation however, he has been given more of a head start than we've had for sometime. It should help him throw the net a bit further and maybe catch the odd bigger fish plus improve the depth of the squad. This is football though and we still have to be patient. Some things will be done quickly and others won't.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 14, 2023, 04:41:10 pm by ncRover »
We do have some folk who are clueless supporting this club.

1, not many clubs pay transfer fees at league 1 or league 2 level.

2, what do you expect him to say? We’ve got shit loads of cash and invite other clubs to put 10% on any value of the player we’re trying to sign.

Good second point Dickos, but some have an agenda to push and banners to justify.

Big spenders like Bradford’s business this year. Lots signed but only 3 they paid for, and these players aren’t even regulars.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bradford-city/transfers/verein/1027

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 14, 2023, 04:45:00 pm by oggycompton »

Why don't you wait and see? I have absolutely no doubt folk will find ways to criticise the club one way or another whatever the budget. Shoot first and ask questions later seems to be a more common approach these days. Just look at the other thread on the same subject.

At the end of the day, it'll be more about how the money is spent rather than how much. It's another test of Copps and his preparation however, he has been given more of a head start than we've had for sometime. It should help him throw the net a bit further and maybe catch the odd bigger fish plus improve the depth of the squad. This is football though and we still have to be patient. Some things will be done quickly and others won't.

Asking a question rather than shooting is precisely what I am doing isn't it?

I want to know as it will affect whether I get a season ticket or not. If it's untrue like Christmas 2021 then I won't, if it is true, I will. I'm not sure I'm alone in this.

Also as someone else alluded too, I'm concerned about who is identifying these players. I hope they are looking at recruitment as for the last 5 years its been absolutely appalling.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 14, 2023, 05:01:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Asking a question rather than shooting is precisely what I am doing isn't it?

I want to know as it will affect whether I get a season ticket or not. If it's untrue like Christmas 2021 then I won't, if it is true, I will. I'm not sure I'm alone in this.

Also as someone else alluded too, I'm concerned about who is identifying these players. I hope they are looking at recruitment as for the last 5 years its been absolutely appalling.

I referred to the other thread re the shooting first.

We'll all have to wait and see and look for signs as the proof is in the pudding. You're not alone but you're the only one who can decide whether you want to get that season ticket and when. Life is a gamble.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 14, 2023, 05:05:57 pm by ravenrover »
Well I thought it came over quite positively. Funds being available mean that negotiations with targetted players can progress more quickly and it looks like targets have already been sounded out.
Copps never interviews well and was being very careful with what he said.
Let's wait till the early part of close season to see if we get thr right characters with leadership skills and the right mentality and in the right age group in early

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 14, 2023, 05:07:15 pm by Cramby10 »
Whilst I’ve already stated what a horrendous interview this is, I really don’t understand people losing their heads over transfer fees. Just cos you pay a fee for a player doesn’t make them better than a player who’s chosen to let his contract run out. It’s just vanity. Wages is key.
Did we pay for Wellens for example??

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 14, 2023, 05:08:31 pm by EasyforDennis »
My guess is that the "extra funding" will be to balance the big deficit in season ticket sales for next season.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 14, 2023, 05:10:15 pm by roversdude »
Already been discounted EFD

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 14, 2023, 05:11:23 pm by Cramby10 »

SM do you believe Schofield will be the one to spend these ‘significant’ funds in the summertime?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012