Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:05:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Newport County game  (Read 4126 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Newport County game
« on April 19, 2023, 03:07:33 pm by selby »
  The return of Omar Bogle lately miss used of this parish and abused as well, who is currently Newport's top scorer on twelve goals and with one of the top form sides in the division.
  I suppose one of the biggest questions about this game is will we try and play in Newport's half of the field, something we looked not that bothered about at Stevenage playing most of the game in our own half.
  Things are getting no better, in fact are festering on with old respected supporters getting more and more frustrated with what is being dished up to them at the moment.
   What the club need to realise is that it is not just the results and poor play, but the lack of pride, the bull headedness,  and current lack of action to correct things that are obviously even to the most ignorant of football people not working and not taking action  that will be reflected in income streams that is of most concern to the fans.
  What options are open on the field of play to change personel are seeming to get smaller after every game with more injuries, so I don't expect many if any changes to be made, but surely a change of tactical approach could be tried, preferably one that suits the players we have better.
  Again, what would you do? is there anything open for us to try? please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Newport County game
« Reply #1 on April 19, 2023, 04:25:50 pm by steve@dcfd »
Unless we have other players fit the only changes could be Williams in centre of the 3 with two others. Also Westbrooke??

Boycie

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 19, 2023, 05:28:00 pm by Boycie »
Yet again we are decimated by injuries, we will be lucky to field a team, can only see yet another soul destroying defeat.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 19, 2023, 05:35:27 pm by Upton Rover »
No interest

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 19, 2023, 05:41:39 pm by normal rules »
I suspect the keepmoat will be a grim
Place to be this coming Saturday .

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 19, 2023, 06:10:15 pm by ForsolongaRover »
What is frustrating Selby is that although SM and the Shadow Board people assure us that senior management recognise concerns, what we really want to know is what they are actually doing about it?  It’s alright saying we talk to Gavin regularly and in normal circumstances we would be happy with informed dialogue, but this is a crisis as far as the fans are concerned.

It’s a bit like industrial action; what would the members say if their a union leaders told them - “Oh yes we talking to bosses regularly”. It kind of implies a close friendly relationship when really they should be saying the fans are about to desert the club and have lost faith with the Chairman, they don’t understand where Copps is in all this and the manager is unlikely to receive their backing ever again so “what are you going to do about it!”

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 19, 2023, 06:24:18 pm by Barmby Rover »
I will probably find something else to do on Saturday, I have got fed up with being fobbed off with a Sunday League team playing in Rovers colours.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 19, 2023, 06:58:20 pm by roversdude »
Has anyone contacted the club individually?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2023, 09:27:15 am by Donnywolf »
Lots of people expressing interest in Rosso Main v Horbury in Promo play offs

You know that the players will be trying 100% committed 100% and care about their result and consequences 100%

All things that lots of Rovers fans see as "missing" from the Keepmoat men at this time

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2023, 11:22:08 am by steve@dcfd »
If supporters are frustrated by the performances on and off the field by the club then don’t go stay away. Pointless going and then abusing our players and manager as nobody above him is listening. Unfortunately the club has had the season ticket money so they will be less inclined to be worried if supporters don’t turn up, but it will show the frustration of supporters with how the club is being run or in our case not run.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2023, 11:24:08 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Obviously will struggle to get anything out the game result or performance wise. I’ll be happy if we can just avoid another Omar Bogle thread on here.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 20, 2023, 12:02:21 pm by ncRover »
Right Selby, I’ve had some coffee and food so I’ll give this a better go.

Have just seen the team news that Nelson and Agard are out. But that Westbrooke is back training.

Rowe and Biggins are also going to be assessed but I wouldn’t yet risk the latter.

4-2-3-1 (an actual football formation).

Bottomley

Brown
Faulkner
Williams
Seaman

Rowe
Close

Barlow
Westbrooke
Molyneux

Goodman

A lack of left-footers in defence there and a lack of legs in midfield but hey ho. Danny will salvage some respect from the fans if he can pick a positive attacking team and get some support for the striker.

Some posters moan about the lack of quality but there isn’t much excuse at home on Saturday against a bottom half L2 side with the players available.

I can’t make this one as I’m moving house. I missed the Rochdale, Carlisle, and Barrow home games so that’s a good omen for Saturday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 20, 2023, 12:19:52 pm by selby »
  IT is no good NCR having left footers and easy on the eye players when on the ball defenders if they fall down and have air kicks that cost points and goals against us and passes across our own 18 yards line when it keeps us penned into our own half with midfielders that don't pick players up when we are not in possession or show for the ball to help them.
  They are the fundamentals of the reason where we are at the moment, seen as an easy touch who cannot cope with direct football and a physical approach, and roll over when under pressure.
  Nelson has just as much to learn from Bobby Faulkner, and I am sure he will to be a good defender, and Bobby has a lot to learn off Nelson to be better in possession than he is, at the moment he needs to be more agricultural and shift the ball first time like the Stevenage defenders, but as a defender when we are not in possession he is miles in front and the equal of anyone we have on our books at the moment, physically, in the air, and tackling, and has pace to recover as he showed at Stevenage, that most other defenders at the club don't have as they have demonstrated regularly all season.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:55:16 pm by selby »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2023, 08:47:55 pm by ravenrover »
Oh Selby you are doing it again I see another Liam moment in the offing Nelson is way ahead of Faulkener

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2023, 09:00:03 pm by oggycompton »
Easy Newport win. Dwindling crowds and blinkered owners. Hoden and Schofield commenting on a different game post match. Ruin my weekend as its just an infuriating mess.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2023, 09:08:41 pm by selby »
 I agree Raven, we are in danger of making a mess of it again.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 21, 2023, 10:48:00 am by selby »
  Easy on some eyes Raven, as a defender? not in the same class.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 21, 2023, 11:08:20 am by steve@dcfd »
It’s not just about  Faulkner and Nelson both good young defenders with different skills. But if we were a competitive side at the top of league 2 neither of them would be in the team. Both still need to develop one will continue his development at Leicester and Bobby will continue his development with us if he doesn’t move on.
As for the Newport game only Bobby is available snd if we play with a three again it will be Bobby Williams and Long. Whether the team selected has any of the returning injured players we will see. The players will need a win who ever is selected to improve their confidence. DS will need a win to show he can select a team that will compete although injuries have not helped, but results were just the same with those players included.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 21, 2023, 11:33:19 am by selby »
  Agreed, both good young players with different styles of play, if both can develop the others gifted natural strong points they will be two very good players.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 21, 2023, 02:55:08 pm by danumdon »
We all know the head coach likes his process but i would like to think that this close to the end of the season, with nothing to play for except pride we should be looking seriously at what we have at the club(the ones still standing!)and see what we can gleam from this awful season.

We need to see some alternative formations tried and see if the tune we get from this lot is any better with a few tweaks to the setup. IF he's not willing and open to trying changes then i really do despair that we have a head coach that is so stubborn they will dig their own hole before too long into next season. Any coach worth his salt has to be adaptable to the tools at his disposal, when the default formation is lacking and proving unworkable then you have to have the flexibility to change the system, even if its just to put the opposition on the back foot, we must be so easy to prepair and play against because we don't adapt or ever consider a plan B.

The ironic thing about it all is that on the very odd occasion when he has tweaked the system it has shown glimpses of daylight, we have managed to cause the opposition something else to think about and created a little more than our usual one or two chances a game.

Clear heads and flexibility  required if nothing else, even now at this late stage he has opportunities to claw back something from this season, id like to see some light in that direction.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 21, 2023, 03:14:32 pm by roversdude »
Any news on injuries?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 21, 2023, 04:09:50 pm by Campsall rover »
We all know the head coach likes his process but i would like to think that this close to the end of the season, with nothing to play for except pride we should be looking seriously at what we have at the club(the ones still standing!)and see what we can gleam from this awful season.

We need to see some alternative formations tried and see if the tune we get from this lot is any better with a few tweaks to the setup. IF he's not willing and open to trying changes then i really do despair that we have a head coach that is so stubborn they will dig their own hole before too long into next season. Any coach worth his salt has to be adaptable to the tools at his disposal, when the default formation is lacking and proving unworkable then you have to have the flexibility to change the system, even if its just to put the opposition on the back foot, we must be so easy to prepair and play against because we don't adapt or ever consider a plan B.

The ironic thing about it all is that on the very odd occasion when he has tweaked the system it has shown glimpses of daylight, we have managed to cause the opposition something else to think about and created a little more than our usual one or two chances a game.

Clear heads and flexibility  required if nothing else, even now at this late stage he has opportunities to claw back something from this season, id like to see some light in that direction.
Based on what we have seen I think that’s wishful thinking.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 21, 2023, 04:45:54 pm by danumdon »

If we don't have hope then we don't have anything.

I have plenty of hope but i'm not expecting anything.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 21, 2023, 04:52:22 pm by Campsall rover »

If we don't have hope then we don't have anything.

I have plenty of hope but i'm not expecting anything.
Even my hope is fading.

If DS is staying and seems he is then we better baton down the hatches. It’s going to get very ugly if it goes pear shaped.

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 21, 2023, 04:56:33 pm by Pside »
2-0 defeat. I will not be attending till next season now. Thad also depend on DS still being here

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 22, 2023, 10:19:06 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Forgot we even had a game today and judging by this thread there’s not many looking forward to it. Can’t remember a game less talked about.

Big positive is only 2 more to go after today. Feels like we’ve been a football club without the football for a while now. Just pray we do something big in the summer because we can’t have another season of this.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 22, 2023, 10:22:18 am by silent majority »
What is frustrating Selby is that although SM and the Shadow Board people assure us that senior management recognise concerns, what we really want to know is what they are actually doing about it?  It’s alright saying we talk to Gavin regularly and in normal circumstances we would be happy with informed dialogue, but this is a crisis as far as the fans are concerned.

It’s a bit like industrial action; what would the members say if their a union leaders told them - “Oh yes we talking to bosses regularly”. It kind of implies a close friendly relationship when really they should be saying the fans are about to desert the club and have lost faith with the Chairman, they don’t understand where Copps is in all this and the manager is unlikely to receive their backing ever again so “what are you going to do about it!”

This isn't frustrating, it's annoying!

I seem to have been your number 1 target since you joined this forum therefore I shan't be responding to any-more of your points.

For the final time, I have spoken to the club, they are fully aware of how we all feel. Will they make changes, yes, but you, like everybody else, will have to wait until the club decide to make their position public. I've done my bit.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 22, 2023, 10:34:52 am by Chris Black come back »
They have for a side 18th in League Two, a very strong away record, which is the 9th best in League Two. They’ve only lost 7 away league games this season, which only 5 sides are in League Two have bettered.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 22, 2023, 10:43:25 am by Lesonthewest »
It will be interesting to see the attendance for today, actions speak louder than words.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 22, 2023, 12:19:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm going with an open mind and will take the game and individual players on merit.
Not expecting a great deal so anything we get will be a bonus and hope to see further potential from Faulkner, Ravenhill, Goodmayes, Barlow, Hurst etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012