Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:48:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What happened to the high press?  (Read 1322 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
What happened to the high press?
« on August 19, 2023, 05:23:19 pm by Filo »
Their keeper had the run of his own half

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: What happened to the high press?
« Reply #1 on August 19, 2023, 05:40:04 pm by glosterred »
What happened to the high press, what happened to the press any press it was none existent today. As you said their keeper had the freedom of his own half

COYR

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 19, 2023, 05:45:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We did it well first 25 mins.  But I felt some of them gave up.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 19, 2023, 05:56:28 pm by roversdude »
Definitely gave up we seemed lost

The Loan Arranger

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 19, 2023, 05:59:04 pm by The Loan Arranger »
Notts County's No. 18 absolutely ran the game from midfield. He did nothing spectacular but played short passes, moved into space and was always available. He probably played more successful passes on his own than all of our team put together. We need a couple of players like this who can control a game.
He made it look easy, helped by the fact that we didn't compete at all in the middle.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 19, 2023, 06:05:11 pm by The Beast »
The problem is we can’t keep the ball for more than 3/4 passes, so the other team has all the possession. We or any team can’t press for the vast majority of the game, you can’t physically do it.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 19, 2023, 06:08:24 pm by TonySoprano »
Half of those players couldn't work a trouser press !

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 19, 2023, 06:12:02 pm by Fal »
Today was just a joke of a performance.

Yet again the midfield is totally non-existant, hardly anyone is supporting the player on the ball. So many times our player doesn't know what to do as there is no one in  space, at one stage i saw Sotona in central midfield trying to get the ball and into some space.

Richard Wood is just a liability, he gives me no confidence whatsoever and its clear to me he was protected by better players around him at Rotherham.

Faal and Sotana should be starting most games, they both want the ball and look like they want to create something, the only positives from todays game.

Surprised we actually scored though we didnt look like scoring all afternoon and we made a poor Notts team look amazing, they were there for the taking.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 19, 2023, 06:15:12 pm by StocksArmy »
I took a couple of mates today who never watch Rovers. Their overall reaction to the game was.... getting beat by the better team is fine but at least you have to sprint and come of the pitch out of breath. Bostocks weakness is to get in his face and not only Bostock, the whole league! Its how we beat Hull and we were fantastic. I do not understand how football works anymore if you can go from the Hull performance to being so passive. You can be poor but please just run your nuts off. I dont get it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 19, 2023, 06:17:17 pm by Filo »
Bostock showed how effective he can be when he has players around willing to do the running

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 19, 2023, 06:20:13 pm by Pliskin »
We're playing at home in the bottom division and we're sitting in our own half hoping to nick a goal against the run of play. It was the same against Mansfield. It's just negative garbage.

I can't work out whether it's a conscious tactical decision, or if the players are just crap.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 19, 2023, 06:37:43 pm by StocksArmy »
Bostock showed how effective he can be when he has players around willing to do the running

Disagree. He showed how effective he can be when a team buts him under no pressure. And the biggest insult was they took him off after 60mins and he had not broken a sweat!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 19, 2023, 06:44:21 pm by Lesonthewest »
Their first goal summed us up. Bostock had time & space to pick his spot for the cross, he stood  rolled the ball forward with his studs, had a brew, & put the ball in without anything like a challenge from any red shirt, utterly unnaceptable. As for their keeper having the freedom of their half, what a joke.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 19, 2023, 06:47:37 pm by Spilsby Red »
Agree first 20-25 mins. We pressed and got them agitated. Hence why they got 3 silly yellow cards. After that. Crap. Ironsides isolated. Bailey did ok.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 19, 2023, 06:51:20 pm by Filo »
Agree first 20-25 mins. We pressed and got them agitated. Hence why they got 3 silly yellow cards. After that. Crap. Ironsides isolated. Bailey did ok.

Not sure any of the cards were the result of frustration, McGoldrick got a yellow cad for kicking the ball away after he was offside, Bostock got one for a late tackle and I think the other was for gobbing off at the ref

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 19, 2023, 06:52:53 pm by drfchound »
Their first goal summed us up. Bostock had time & space to pick his spot for the cross, he stood  rolled the ball forward with his studs, had a brew, & put the ball in without anything like a challenge from any red shirt, utterly unnaceptable. As for their keeper having the freedom of their half, what a joke.

…..and that was the first time they had put a cross into our box.
We still can’t defend crosses.
Out of interest, they scored the next time they put the ball into our box too.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 19, 2023, 06:53:11 pm by mpc123 »
I thought we were very slightly on top then they scored and we stopped doing everything we should.

Roll on the next game!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 19, 2023, 08:57:49 pm by pib »
High press? Any sort of press would be a start. They played around us at will today and we didn’t even make them work that hard for the win. Not sure if it’s a lack of fitness, lack of effort, poor mentality or just poor tactics.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012