Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 12:26:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Inverse of last season?  (Read 2868 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Inverse of last season?
« on September 06, 2023, 10:08:51 am by Dutch Uncle »
Last season after 6 league games we were W4 D2 L0 and it was the high water mark of our season, and we reckoned we had had the rub of the green in those matches.

The next 40 were W12 D5 L23

We are currently W0 D2 L4, the exact inverse of last season, and we have also been a bit unfortunate (IMHO at least)

A sign maybe this will be the low water mark? Hopefully.

Unlikely that the remaining 40 will be an exact mirror image, but if we did W23 D5 L12 then we would have 76 points, enough for playoffs more seasons than not.  :scarf: :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Inverse of last season?
« Reply #1 on September 06, 2023, 10:41:36 am by Bentley Bullet »
Good point well made!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 06, 2023, 01:38:31 pm by RoversInSpain »
Last season after 6 league games we were W4 D2 L0 and it was the high water mark of our season, and we reckoned we had had the rub of the green in those matches.

We are currently W0 D2 L4, the exact inverse of last season, and we have also been a bit unfortunate (IMHO at least)

Unlikely that the remaining 40 will be an exact mirror image, but if we did W23 D5 L12 then we would have 76 points, enough for playoffs more seasons than not.  :scarf: :scarf:
I’ll take that… football sometimes does this sort of thing. Just need to get some injured players back as well to help the recovery.
Come on Rovers keep gelling and getting better and better… improving performances will start to get us results.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 06, 2023, 04:48:32 pm by GazLaz »
Stop reading now if you think numbers are a load of b*llocks…

Going by some very smart data, average for and against goals performance-

First 6 games last season-

1.01 v 1.24

Last 6 games last season-

0.75 v 1.66

First 6 games this season-

0.93 v 1.46

Awful really. We need to create more chances. I’ve said it for two years and we still don’t sign proven creative players, especially in wide areas. They are really easy to find. Find them and put them in the team.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 06, 2023, 05:01:48 pm by Campsall rover »

Positive thinking DU.   :thumbsup:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 06, 2023, 05:21:39 pm by scawsby steve »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Awful really. We need to create more chances. I’ve said it for two years and we still don’t sign proven creative players, especially in wide areas. They are really easy to find. Find them and put them in the team.

It sounds that you rate yourself better at spotting talent than GM and his recruitment team, Gaz.

Maybe you're in the wrong job.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 06, 2023, 06:05:43 pm by GazLaz »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

It sounds that you rate yourself better at spotting talent than GM and his recruitment team, Gaz.

Maybe you're in the wrong job.

I’m seemingly better at spotting what we require based on the recent recruitment record.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 06, 2023, 06:32:39 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
...A sign maybe this will be the low water mark? Hopefully....

Is there a lower water mark?   :blink: :ohmy:

;)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 06, 2023, 09:08:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to this, but if we were to lose on Saturday, our record after 7 games (W0 D2 L5) would be identical to to the start of 97/98.

Whatever you think about performances, the results have been THAT bad.

Do any of the stattos know what is the longest we've gone without a win at the start of the season (97/98 omitted). I've looked at some of the obvious contender seasons and seen nothing beyond 4-5 games.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 06, 2023, 10:03:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to this, but if we were to lose on Saturday, our record after 7 games (W0 D2 L5) would be identical to to the start of 97/98.

Whatever you think about performances, the results have been THAT bad.

Do any of the stattos know what is the longest we've gone without a win at the start of the season (97/98 omitted). I've looked at some of the obvious contender seasons and seen nothing beyond 4-5 games.

After 1997-98 (20 matches D6 L14) the next longest winless league start was 9 in 1970-71 (0-2-7), and the third longest 7 in 2011-12 (0-1-6).

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 06, 2023, 11:03:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
D'oh, course! I forgot 11/12. And 70/71 is one of those seasons that doesn't register with me. Just before my time and bad but not horrific.

Not good omens though. Shows the task in front of us. Here's hoping for a win on Saturday and we can put those thoughts to bed.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 07, 2023, 06:58:15 am by Chris Black come back »
Still people saying we can win League Two.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 07, 2023, 07:59:12 am by dickos1 »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

I think those stats will look very different over the next 6 games. We’ve created more chances in the last couple of games than I can remember for a long time, whilst playing against two of the best sides in the division and one with only ten men.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 07, 2023, 09:07:07 am by Chris Black come back »
It was a good performance on Saturday in very difficult circumstances, but we had 3 shots on target. We had double that in losing 3-1 to Notts County and about the same (2) in losing to Newport County.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 07, 2023, 09:26:23 am by Michael Shaw »
No year since 1879 has any relevance to where we are now. We have a different manager and different squad to any previous years. GM needs to get a grip on this squad and make it work, and fast. The season is ticking away game by game and a lot of fans see us losing to Wrexham with yet another 3 points missing. We can't keep doing this without going down again at the end of the season. We can't change the past and need to fix now, or the future is bleak. A simply realistic view of where we are even if some don't want to hear it.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 07, 2023, 09:44:44 am by ncRover »
There’s no need to panic if we play in-keeping with recent performances and still lose to Wrexham.

This away fixture is one of the toughest of the season.

The team has it in them to sneak a result though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:47:33 am by ncRover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 07, 2023, 09:51:49 am by GazLaz »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

I think those stats will look very different over the next 6 games. We’ve created more chances in the last couple of games than I can remember for a long time, whilst playing against two of the best sides in the division and one with only ten men.

Hopefully. We can revisit in 6 games and have a look.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 07, 2023, 10:00:05 am by BillyStubbsTears »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

We really didn't create a lot of chances against Swindon. Even with 11 men on the pitch. We were a lot more solid, but we didn't create a lot.

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 07, 2023, 12:16:14 pm by 1-0 to the Doncaster »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Gaz, completely agree with your point we don’t use data effectively. Interested in your view of “really easy to find” so who’s coming up on your data set as meeting this category?
I recall you gave some examples of players from last season who were signed as frees by Stevenage - any views on this year and ones we have missed?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 07, 2023, 01:31:29 pm by GazLaz »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Gaz, completely agree with your point we don’t use data effectively. Interested in your view of “really easy to find” so who’s coming up on your data set as meeting this category?
I recall you gave some examples of players from last season who were signed as frees by Stevenage - any views on this year and ones we have missed?

The two lads that ended up at Swindon, Dan Kemp and Jake Young, both very good  players. I like Tom Knowles at Walsall as well.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 07, 2023, 04:02:41 pm by Michael Shaw »
So 6 games in we are bottom. "Hopefully. We can revisit in 6 games and have a look." and then what?  So when if are still in the bottom 2 after 12 games, will it be 18, then 24, 30, etc. until the last game?  Just wondering because the last 2.5 years have been a joke and some fans have been in total denial that we are in serious trouble.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 08, 2023, 05:14:11 am by dickos1 »
It was a good performance on Saturday in very difficult circumstances, but we had 3 shots on target. We had double that in losing 3-1 to Notts County and about the same (2) in losing to Newport County.

I never mentioned shots on target

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 08, 2023, 05:24:22 am by dickos1 »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

We really didn't create a lot of chances against Swindon. Even with 11 men on the pitch. We were a lot more solid, but we didn't create a lot.

Rowe,
Westbrooke x 2,
Ironside,
The cut back from ironside where their defender just intercepted before molyneux tapped in,

All good chances I can recall off top of my head

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 08, 2023, 05:46:58 am by Rovers91 »

Don't get me wrong I don't think we will but nobody wins the league in August/September. With how many good teams are in the league this season everyone will go on a poor run at some point. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 08, 2023, 02:07:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Rowe,
Westbrooke x 2,
Ironside,
The cut back from ironside where their defender just intercepted before molyneux tapped in,

Not one of those justified the title "half chance". You cannot seriously be calling those good chances to score?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 08, 2023, 04:17:04 pm by drfchound »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Rowe,
Westbrooke x 2,
Ironside,

Not one of those justified the title "half chance". You cannot seriously be calling those good chances to score?

The Westbrook chance after he turned the defender following the throw in was much more than a half chance.
Had he shown a bit more composure instead of snatching at it he would probably have scored.
I would also have backed Rowe to score his chance instead of rattling the shot over the bar.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 08, 2023, 05:53:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Daft as that may seem we could win the league.
I am not saying for 1 min we will but it’s not impossible.
If we put a sequence of 7 wins on the bounce anytime soon we would be in the mix.
There is a heck of a long way to go. 40 games.
Having said that I would snap your hand off for 7th place right now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 08, 2023, 06:44:12 pm by drfchound »
Camps, it is very reasonable to say that teams can lose 15 games and still make seventh place in L2.
Not out of reach yet.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 08, 2023, 06:53:35 pm by dickos1 »

1.01 v 1.24

0.75 v 1.66

0.93 v 1.46

Rowe,
Westbrooke x 2,
Ironside,

If you don’t think westbrookes two chances are even half chances then I’m not sure what you were watching.
Rowe 18 yards out on his left foot is a great chance, and the ball across the 6 yard box is a couple of inches away from a certain goal.
Ironside turned his defender in on the edge of the box and had a clear shot on goal.
You think none of these were even half chances?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 08, 2023, 08:08:31 pm by BigH »
Daft as that may seem we could win the league.
I am not saying for 1 min we will but it’s not impossible.
If we put a sequence of 7 wins on the bounce anytime soon we would be in the mix.
There is a heck of a long way to go. 40 games.
Having said that I would snap your hand off for 7th place right now.
Can I have some of what you’re having Camps!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012