Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:39:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 10 Points  (Read 3961 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: 10 Points
« Reply #30 on October 30, 2023, 02:47:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Last 6 matches 12 points, last 8  = 15 points, last 10 = 18pts.

It's an improving picture and in those last 10 we've played a variety of teams.

The next few games we play some teams in the bunch above us up to 9th spot where only 3 points separate 9 teams.

If we come out of this next 6 games on current form, it will set us up for those end of December matches v Bradford, Notts Co and Mansfield.  Beating any of those three would be a bonus and will put us right in the mix for the play offs at least.

Big IFs, but no reason why we can't maintain 1.8 points per game at least.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 30, 2023, 02:51:32 pm by Barmby Rover »
6 points from the play-off places, 10 from the bottom 2. Not a bad reversal of form from the first 7 matches. Credit where it is due, the management and depleted squad have done a good job over the last month and a half or so.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 30, 2023, 05:29:37 pm by adamtherover »
As mentioned previously, if we are anywhere near top 7 after 30 games, it's all to play for, as there's only one realistic playoff contender to meet in the last 4  months of the season...
How do you know Adam who will be a play off contender in the last 4 months?

Some may think Rovers now 17th are not contenders. I think we will be contenders.
Could there be another team that comes with a late run. Absolutely there could be.

It’s crazy suggesting one match is easier than another. On paper it might be. Football isn’t played on paper.

So no one can tell me we will definitely beat Sutton Utd away when we play them and we will lose to Stockport at home when that game comes round. Every chance the opposite will happen.
I have watched far too many football matches in the last 61 seasons to know the unpredictable nature of the beautiful game.
That’s what makes it the great game it is.

23 teams to play twice. Go out to try and win every game. Get as many points as possible. End of.   :that:

hence why I said realistic play off, contenders,   the 7 who the bookies have down as faves to finish top 7.. obviously no guarantees...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 30, 2023, 05:33:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We are not a 1.8 points per game team. How many points you get in the short term doesn’t always correlate with performance. We’ve over performed points wise. We are a 1.4-1.5 points per game team.

This.

We've won 12 points from 4 games against the worst 4 sides in the division.

We've won 8 points from 12 games against everyone else.

There's nothing yet in our performances that says we are a top 3-4 side over an average set of fixtures. Probably more like a 11-12th place side.

That's not to say that we can't improve on that as players hopefully return to availability. Having Hurst as an option made all the difference on Saturday.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 30, 2023, 05:38:42 pm by NickDRFC »
As mentioned previously, if we are anywhere near top 7 after 30 games, it's all to play for, as there's only one realistic playoff contender to meet in the last 4  months of the season...

Some may think Rovers now 17th are not contenders. I think we will be contenders.
Could there be another team that comes with a late run. Absolutely there could be.

It’s crazy suggesting one match is easier than another. On paper it might be. Football isn’t played on paper.

So no one can tell me we will definitely beat Sutton Utd away when we play them and we will lose to Stockport at home when that game comes round. Every chance the opposite will happen.
I have watched far too many football matches in the last 61 seasons to know the unpredictable nature of the beautiful game.

23 teams to play twice. Go out to try and win every game. Get as many points as possible. End of.   :that:

On the contrary I’d say it’s crazy to suggest that one match isn’t easier than the other. How can you say that playing certain teams isn’t easier than others? There’s no such thing as a dead cert on football but getting a win is much more likely against a poorer/lower placed team in the table.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 30, 2023, 05:50:22 pm by adamtherover »

On the contrary I’d say it’s crazy to suggest that one match isn’t easier than the other. How can you say that playing certain teams isn’t easier than others? There’s no such thing as a dead cert on football but getting a win is much more likely against a poorer/lower placed team in the table.
last game of the season and we need a win to make play offs, do we want to play Stockport who need a win to be champs,  or Sutton who are already relegated?  Timings of when you play teams is also a consideration..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 30, 2023, 05:58:38 pm by The Red Baron »
I think if we can get to the top 10 this season that's good progress ready for a really good go at it next season.

I'd say we have better players than some.of those up the top but they have momentum, we are just starting to get some now.

Whilst we've done ok against some of the poorer teams we've not done much against those up there (results wise rather than performances) bar a hard earned point against Mansfield.  Though I'd argue we'd have more chance if the injury list was smaller.

I agree. I think because we were allowed to fall so far over the preceding two-and-a-half seasons, it's going to be a two-season job to get back into contention for promotion to League One.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 30, 2023, 06:09:41 pm by belton rover »
I think there is often too much emphasis put on who we beat and who we lose to in attempts to analyse where we might end up. If we’d beaten top sides and lost to bottom sides rather than the other way around, there’d be outrage on here because we were only up for the big games.
We had an awful start that has been turned around  and I expect us to get better as the season progresses.
For me, it’s really that simple.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 06:13:03 pm by belton rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 30, 2023, 06:46:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
There’s also the additional factor of the January window, which is a complete unknown, presently. A couple of quality players in the right areas and we may be in for an exciting second half of the season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 30, 2023, 07:19:13 pm by Campsall rover »

last game of the season and we need a win to make play offs, do we want to play Stockport who need a win to be champs,  or Sutton who are already relegated?  Timings of when you play teams is also a consideration..
Well we are playing Gillingham away. Our 2nd worst bogey team to Reading in the entire EFL.
So shall we not not bother turning up?  No of course not. Who knows where Gillingham will be in the table.
My guess would be between 9th and 14th but who knows they could be much higher or much lower.
Would they be a good team to play on the last day if we needed a point or 3? 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 30, 2023, 07:33:57 pm by Campsall rover »
I think there is often too much emphasis put on who we beat and who we lose to in attempts to analyse where we might end up. If we’d beaten top sides and lost to bottom sides rather than the other way around, there’d be outrage on here because we were only up for the big games.
We had an awful start that has been turned around  and I expect us to get better as the season progresses.
For me, it’s really that simple.
That’s well put Belton. I am thinking exactly that.

If we had played the 1st 7 games in the last 7 we have played we would have got far more points.
We were and still are a team that’s getting to know each other. That takes time.
Instead of the 2 points we got from those 7 games, let’s say we got 9 then just look where we would be in the table now not 17th but 6th
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 07:37:07 pm by Campsall rover »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 31, 2023, 12:36:30 pm by ravenrover »
There’s also the additional factor of the January window, which is a complete unknown, presently. A couple of quality players in the right areas and we may be in for an exciting second half of the season.
as may a few other teams currently not in the mix

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 18, 2024, 09:19:12 pm by GazLaz »
We will end up with between 61 and 65 points.

Now we are entering the run in, interesting looking back to see peoples predictions. I’m going to be mighty close with 61-65 I feel.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 18, 2024, 10:08:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
as may a few other teams currently not in the mix

Not exactly a bad statement to make, back in October, when you consider how our season has changed since January! Obviously, one or two Clubs have picked up also, but our performances have changed dramatically for the better.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 18, 2024, 10:32:16 pm by Jonathan »

Now we are entering the run in, interesting looking back to see peoples predictions. I’m going to be mighty close with 61-65 I feel.

Not every prediction has been that good though, you did suggest we may come to rue our January recruitment come the end of the season.

Edit / Update - that’s not me claiming to be some kind of know it all either. The signings have turned out much better than I expected.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 18, 2024, 10:52:33 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Not every prediction has been that good though, you did suggest we may come to rue our January recruitment come the end of the season.

Edit / Update - that’s not me claiming to be some kind of know it all either. The signings have turned out much better than I expected.

We all had/have our predictions for the season more specifically since the Wimbledon game (perhaps?).

When we beat FRG on Saturday I’ll ‘hold back’ no further & not only give you my prediction as to how I believe the rest of the season will pan out for us but divulge where that prediction has come from.

Hush my mouth, I can say no more.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 19, 2024, 07:25:03 am by GazLaz »

Yes you are right. I’d also add that it’s not the end of the season yet as well. Hakeeb, Craig and TLT have all been good in recent weeks, it’s also probably now odds on that none of them will be here next season. Short term fix that has worked, likely to prove tricky replacing their output in the summer. Thats not me bemoaning signing them, we needed some sort of impetus, just an observation.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 19, 2024, 07:42:44 am by Bollinger »

Yes you are right. I’d also add that it’s not the end of the season yet as well. Hakeeb, Craig and TLT have all been good in recent weeks, it’s also probably now odds on that none of them will be here next season. Short term fix that has worked, likely to prove tricky replacing their output in the summer. Thats not me bemoaning signing them, we needed some sort of impetus, just an observation.

Are you sure about that? Why would it be tricky?

You said at the time of signing Hakeeb, ‘ I’d be odds on to find someone of a similar profile but better without much effort.’

Make your mind up.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 19, 2024, 07:51:15 am by Donnywolf »
I suppose statistically that means we're bang average!

Or does it mean we are almost in top half yet

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 19, 2024, 02:51:45 pm by GazLaz »

You said at the time of signing Hakeeb, ‘ I’d be odds on to find someone of a similar profile but better without much effort.’

Make your mind up.

Because other clubs make decisions on short term form as well. I’d still be odds on to find a better player for us. He’s had a fantastic 10 games, credit to him and Grant, but surely you have to judge players on longer than 10 games. He’s bang in form and clearly enjoying himself but he’s not turned into a 20 goal a season man overnight has he.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 19, 2024, 03:06:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Make your mind up.

Because other clubs make decisions on short term form as well. I’d still be odds on to find a better player for us. He’s had a fantastic 10 games, credit to him and Grant, but surely you have to judge players on longer than 10 games. He’s bang in form and clearly enjoying himself but he’s not turned into a 20 goal a season man overnight has he.

In fairness, some strikers do just click at certain points.

Marquis was very ordinary before joining us and suddenly becoming a 20-a-season player.

May, 18 months after leaving us, had scored 42 goals in 4 seasons and 12 of those were in the EFL trophy or against non-league sides in the Cup. Since then he's scored 73 goals in 2.8 seasons.

Why shouldn't Adelakun be another one?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 19, 2024, 03:21:31 pm by Barmby Rover »
I'm struggling to see how the next ten games are easier than the ten we've just had.

In the next ten games, 5 are against sides currently in the top 7. Four of those are away.

Seven of those ten are against sides in the top half - 5 of them away.

We play only 3 sides currently in the bottom half. Only one of those is in the bottom 8.

If we get 18 points from that run, we will be doing VERY well.

I agree with you completely BST, it will not be as easy to be successful in our last 10 games, but as an estimate what do you think it will take to make the top half of the table? And do you think we might get there?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 19, 2024, 04:11:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
66-67 for top half. And I'd be amazed if we hit that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 19, 2024, 06:19:06 pm by dickos1 »

Make your mind up.

If he’d been not very good for 10 games there’d be plenty laying into him.
And craig was getting a lot of criticism by yourself and others after one game.
Adelekun is the best player on the league at the minute and has been since since the day he signed. Nobody else has come close to his goal involvements since the end of jan

TinyPortal © 2005-2012