Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:50:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 10 Points  (Read 3960 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
10 Points
« on October 28, 2023, 11:00:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
I notice our league position after today’s games - 10 points off the bottom and 10 points from 2nd place.

Funny old game!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: 10 Points
« Reply #1 on October 29, 2023, 03:44:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I suppose statistically that means we're bang average!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 29, 2023, 05:08:12 pm by Nudga »

It doesn't feel like it though, I think we're a couple of players short of getting that consistency of putting 4 or 5 wins together.
If we can keep within touching distance of the play off places by January then I think we'll be in a fantastic position for a good run in.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 29, 2023, 05:28:10 pm by Goole Rover »
We’re doomed, doomed a sey.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 29, 2023, 05:40:43 pm by GazLaz »
We will end up with between 61 and 65 points.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 29, 2023, 05:51:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Pessimist.  ;)  I hope you’re wrong and we get at least 72 which will almost certainly be needed for top 7

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 29, 2023, 05:52:05 pm by dickos1 »

I think we’ll end up with between 70 and 75 points

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 29, 2023, 05:55:01 pm by dickos1 »
Last ten games were getting 1.8 points per game, even if we don’t improve on that we will end up with 74 points.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 29, 2023, 06:18:17 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have played a lot of dross in those last 10 games including the current bottom four (Sutton, Tranmere, Forest Green and Grimsby).

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 29, 2023, 06:53:51 pm by Campsall rover »
We have played a lot of dross in those last 10 games including the current bottom four (Sutton, Tranmere, Forest Green and Grimsby).
What’s your point CBcb. 
And we won all 4 of those games above.

We have 23 teams to play twice. It is how many points we have after 46 games, that’s all that counts.
Who we get 3 points off is not terribly relevant.
In the 1st 8 games all the teams we played were sitting in the top 8 when we played them except Harrogate as we were all on zero in the 1st game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 08:53:41 pm by Campsall rover »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 29, 2023, 06:59:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think if we can get to the top 10 this season that's good progress ready for a really good go at it next season.

I'd say we have better players than some.of those up the top but they have momentum, we are just starting to get some now.

Whilst we've done ok against some of the poorer teams we've not done much against those up there (results wise rather than performances) bar a hard earned point against Mansfield.  Though I'd argue we'd have more chance if the injury list was smaller.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 29, 2023, 07:09:00 pm by Campsall rover »
I think if we can get to the top 10 this season that's good progress ready for a really good go at it next season.

I'd say we have better players than some.of those up the top but they have momentum, we are just starting to get some now.

Whilst we've done ok against some of the poorer teams we've not done much against those up there (results wise rather than performances) bar a hard earned point against Mansfield.  Though I'd argue we'd have more chance if the injury list was smaller.
We played all those better teams when our team had only just been assembled.
If we played those same teams now how many points would we get?
We got 2 points from the 1st 7 games. I would be confident we would get at least 9 if we played them in the next 7 games.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 29, 2023, 07:22:10 pm by dickos1 »

We’ve also played Stockport, Crawley, Wrexham,

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 29, 2023, 07:23:48 pm by dickos1 »

Gillingham and Crawley were both in the top 3 when we played them, Swindon were up there too

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 29, 2023, 07:45:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Gillingham and Crawley were both in the top 3 when we played them, Swindon were up there too

The Swindon match wasn't in our last 10.

It's clear that we've had, on balance, an easier than average ten games. Regardless of that, we've still done well to gain 18 points. But we'll need to up our standard to keep that average up for the rest of the season. It's not easy to "just" keep gaining points at a rate that would put you in the top 4 over a full season.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:02:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 29, 2023, 08:18:28 pm by Chris Black come back »

Agree with this.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 29, 2023, 11:03:03 pm by dickos1 »

It's clear that we've had, on balance, an easier than average ten games. Regardless of that, we've still done well to gain 18 points. But we'll need to up our standard to keep that average up for the rest of the season. It's not easy to "just" keep gaining points at a rate that would put you in the top 4 over a full season.

Impossible to agree with that when we’ve played 3 teams who were 1st, 2nd and 4th in those ten games. And also the favourites to win the title.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 30, 2023, 12:06:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Impossible to agree with that when we’ve played 3 teams who were 1st, 2nd and 4th in those ten games. And also the favourites to win the title.

It IS impossible to agree with it if you only look at selected facts that support what you want to decide is true.

We've also played sides that were
13th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 23rd in the last 10 matches. Including 4 of the current 6 shortest odds side for relegation. We've won 12 of the 18 points in the last ten games against the sides currently occupying the bottom 4.

It IS possible to be positive and optimistic about this run while still being realistic. We've done well to turn our form round given the injury situation. But we will need to be a fair bit better to carry on winning points at the rate of a top 3-4 side when the fixtures level out. That's all I'm saying.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 30, 2023, 05:05:47 am by colincramb »
Wasting your time I feel BST.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 30, 2023, 10:12:06 am by IDM »
Let’s not forget we were rock bottom only a few weeks ago, so we have been beating teams with similar performance records to ours.

Like a wedding in Barnsley, it’s all relative..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 30, 2023, 10:41:31 am by dickos1 »

It IS impossible to agree with it if you only look at selected facts that support what you want to decide is true.

We've also played sides that were
13th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 23rd in the last 10 matches. Including 4 of the current 6 shortest odds side for relegation. We've won 12 of the 18 points in the last ten games against the sides currently occupying the bottom 4.

It IS possible to be positive and optimistic about this run while still being realistic. We've done well to turn our form round given the injury situation. But we will need to be a fair bit better to carry on winning points at the rate of a top 3-4 side when the fixtures level out. That's all I'm saying.

The point is, in any stretch of 10 games you’re going to be playing teams near the top and teams near the bottom.
So a run of ten games is going to be similar at whatever point of the season, so it’s daft to suggest these ten games were easy as we played a lot of dross, we also played sides at the top of the table.

The next ten is arguably on paper easier than this ten, but looking at the runs of ten games until the end, this one is certainly not filled with anymore dross than any other run.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 30, 2023, 10:56:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickos.

I didn't say the run was "easy". Reading what other people write would be a good start.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 30, 2023, 11:02:12 am by graingrover »
That’s how the world is ..for some we are doomed for others life is worth living!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 30, 2023, 11:13:23 am by dickos1 »
Dickos.

I didn't say the run was "easy". Reading what other people write would be a good start.

The whole conversation was started with someone suggesting we’ve only played dross in these ten games

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 30, 2023, 11:22:07 am by Chris Black come back »
Dickos.

The whole conversation was started with someone suggesting we’ve only played dross in these ten games

Nobody said that. It’s a made up statement.

What was said was that “a lot of dross” had been played. Which is correct given 40pc of that run was against the very worst sides in League Two, namely the current bottom four.

This is not to diminish an excellent run. It is to put this in context with fact and objectivity, not just making up statements.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 30, 2023, 11:44:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm struggling to see how the next ten games are easier than the ten we've just had.

In the next ten games, 5 are against sides currently in the top 7. Four of those are away.

Seven of those ten are against sides in the top half - 5 of them away.

We play only 3 sides currently in the bottom half. Only one of those is in the bottom 8.

If we get 18 points from that run, we will be doing VERY well.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 30, 2023, 12:58:40 pm by adamtherover »
As mentioned previously, if we are anywhere near top 7 after 30 games, it's all to play for, as there's only one realistic playoff contender to meet in the last 4  months of the season...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 30, 2023, 01:21:39 pm by drfchound »
When talking about runs of ten games or how well or otherwise we have done in games already played it should be factored in how well WE are now playing.
I think it is fair to say that the confidence within the team will be greater now than it was during the early part of the season and that in itself will be making a difference.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 30, 2023, 01:49:27 pm by Campsall rover »
As mentioned previously, if we are anywhere near top 7 after 30 games, it's all to play for, as there's only one realistic playoff contender to meet in the last 4  months of the season...
How do you know Adam who will be a play off contender in the last 4 months?

Some may think Rovers now 17th are not contenders. I think we will be contenders.
Could there be another team that comes with a late run. Absolutely there could be.

It’s crazy suggesting one match is easier than another. On paper it might be. Football isn’t played on paper.

So no one can tell me we will definitely beat Sutton Utd away when we play them and we will lose to Stockport at home when that game comes round. Every chance the opposite will happen.
I have watched far too many football matches in the last 61 seasons to know the unpredictable nature of the beautiful game.
That’s what makes it the great game it is.

23 teams to play twice. Go out to try and win every game. Get as many points as possible. End of.   :that:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 30, 2023, 02:13:40 pm by GazLaz »
We are not a 1.8 points per game team. How many points you get in the short term doesn’t always correlate with performance. We’ve over performed points wise. We are a 1.4-1.5 points per game team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012