Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:46:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 3 reasons  (Read 2862 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
3 reasons
« on November 11, 2023, 05:10:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Three reasons why we won't be promoted this season, nor next season if these serious issues aren't eradicated. We CAN'T, as a unit, consistently defend crosses. We CAN'T, as a unit, consistently keep clean sheets. We CAN'T, as a unit, consistently achieve results away from home.

A high quality defender signed in the January window must surely now be a priority.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Re: 3 reasons
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2023, 05:12:45 pm by Nudga »
I would add a better level goalkeeper to that list.
Either one of our current goalkeepers could go for me.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 11, 2023, 05:14:47 pm by bpoolrover »
I would wait until the end of the season before getting any new players in permanently unless a top quality one becomes available, save the money till next season

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 11, 2023, 05:15:27 pm by roverstillidie91 »
7 points off the play-offs.

12 points off the top 3.

I imagine realistically if we are to finish the minimum of play-offs we 1. Need to keep in relative distance before the new year and 2. Recruit 2 or 3 players in January to see if we can close the gap

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 11, 2023, 05:16:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
I would wait until the end of the season before getting any new players in permanently unless a top quality one becomes available, save the money till next season

Agree with this. We have a big squad if most are fit.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 11, 2023, 07:27:06 pm by Jersey Rover »
We definitely need a keeper that commands his box.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 11, 2023, 07:29:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
4 clean sheets in 23. Playing in League Two. It’s not great.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 11, 2023, 08:36:47 pm by dickos1 »

Or 2 clean sheets in 7 games!
Not like you to look for a massive negative spin

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 11, 2023, 08:41:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
The season is determined over the entirety of the games played, not a small subset.

There is nobody on here who thinks 4 clean sheets is great.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 11, 2023, 08:53:58 pm by deebee »
We do with getting some shots on target as well.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2023, 09:14:15 pm by dickos1 »
The season is determined over the entirety of the games played, not a small subset.

There is nobody on here who thinks 4 clean sheets is great.

If that’s the case you’d be waiting until the end of the season before the negative bile. But you started after 1 game

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2023, 09:21:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think you are confused and perhaps have started on the shandies a little earlier this evening. There are plenty of decent low and no alcohol beers out there. You would benefit from exploring them.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2023, 09:38:36 pm by andyst79 »
Disappointing, but how far have we come in a short space of time under GM. Sort our defence frailties out next season and we're a real threat

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2023, 10:46:52 pm by scawsby steve »
Disappointing, but how far have we come in a short space of time under GM. Sort our defence frailties out next season and we're a real threat

If you're talking about better players and better performances, Andy, I totally agree with you. However, we're approaching the halfway point of the season and we're still lower in the league than where we finished last season.

I'm sure that we'll be higher than 19th at the end of the season, but I'm far from convinced that we'll be stitched on for promotion next season, because there are too many variables. We don't know for sure that GM will still be here; we don't know for sure that Terry will still be here, or whether he'll be prepared to put a load of cash in again.

Also, unless we finish very close to the play-offs, I don't think we'll shift the same amount of STs next summer.

The thing I'd like to see most is some strong recruitment in January, particularly in defence, but we'd have to get some players out to do that.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 12, 2023, 03:38:06 pm by i_ateallthepies »

You think two clean sheets in seven games is something to write home about?  Christ on a bike!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 12, 2023, 03:48:52 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The best we can hope for if the team continues to not be able to keep clean sheets, is the play offs. We are more likely be in mid table at the end, if the manager doesn’t notice that we need a top centre half. The team as a whole needs to work harder off the ball.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 12, 2023, 03:50:07 pm by Campsall rover »

You think two clean sheets in seven games is something to write home about?  Christ on a bike!
Although I am sure GM would welcome clean sheets I think his main focus is on creating chances and scoring goals. He wants us to outscore the opposition.
While I do love that philosophy we do need to keep more clean sheets because there are always going to be matches where we either fail to score at all or only score 1 goal.
No matter how good an attacking team we are or become in the future having a sound defence is the fundamental for success.
Very few teams finish in the top 2 or 3 in the EFL after 46 games conceding more than 55 goals
It does happen of course but probably only once in every 6/7 seasons in any of the leagues.

Yes we need to score goals. We all want entertainment but we also want winning football.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 12, 2023, 03:55:12 pm by Campsall rover »
The best we can hope for if the team continues to not be able to keep clean sheets, is the play offs. We are more likely be in mid table at the end, if the manager doesn’t notice that we need a top centre half. The team as a whole needs to work harder off the ball.
I think we do work very hard off the ball.
Don’t think that’s the problem.

Set pieces and lack of concentration, switching off and a keeper who is far too quiet & not commanding his six yard box are the problems SCK imo.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 12, 2023, 04:10:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can't we trade two keepers in for a better one?

Wouldn't solve all our problems but would help relieve boat loads of pressure at set pieces and crosses as you say.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 12, 2023, 04:24:38 pm by Campsall rover »

Wouldn't solve all our problems but would help relieve boat loads of pressure at set pieces and crosses as you say.
Well I think we need to give Lawlor an extended riun in the team. He has improved since he was last with us in 2019 under GM
Let’s see where we are at the end of this season regarding Lawlor. If we need a better keeper then I am sure GM will get one. I think if he shows he can consistently command his area then we will see less errors from our defenders. GM signed him because he obviously rates him.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 12, 2023, 04:37:23 pm by RoversInSpain »
It’s actually one reason.
If we could defend crosses we’d keep more clean sheets and in turn would get better results away.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 12, 2023, 05:56:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Well I think we need to give Lawlor an extended riun in the team. He has improved since he was last with us in 2019 under GM
Let’s see where we are at the end of this season regarding Lawlor. If we need a better keeper then I am sure GM will get one. I think if he shows he can consistently command his area then we will see less errors from our defenders. GM signed him because he obviously rates him.

Lawlor never has, and never will command his area. I'll grant you he did show improvement in the early part of the season, looking more assured but, neither he nor Jones will instinctively come for crosses, when their default position is the goal line. Occasionally, they have both gathered a cross or two, but that's a rarity, and how many times have we seen them punch when they should be able to catch the ball cleanly? Yes, there are occasions when a punch is less risky.

I would just like both of them to use their Kenny Everett sized gloves to good effect. Plus Lawlor has the height so he should fancy his chances of getting way above anyone else.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 12, 2023, 06:12:05 pm by danumdon »

Lawlor never has, and never will command his area. I'll grant you he did show improvement in the early part of the season, looking more assured but, neither he nor Jones will instinctively come for crosses, when their default position is the goal line. Occasionally, they have both gathered a cross or two, but that's a rarity, and how many times have we seen them punch when they should be able to catch the ball cleanly? Yes, there are occasions when a punch is less risky.

I would just like both of them to use their Kenny Everett sized gloves to good effect. Plus Lawlor has the height so he should fancy his chances of getting way above anyone else.

Ive always thought that skimping on the best keeper you can bring in is a false saving, in effect the standard of keeper affects so much more than just the odd save he makes, if this brittle defence was playing with a top level(for this league) keeper im quite sure they would all perform 25% better in everything they did just for the sheer realisation that they have someone covering their backs and they have full confidence in him coming out and killing pressure stone dead, especially from corners and set pieces where we have to be amongst the most porous defence in the FL.

It seems that out spine is very weak, we have an acceptable top end but the back end looks like a crippled hyaenas ass.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 12, 2023, 06:15:44 pm by acacia94 »
We just don't have the Rob Jones feel where a ball into the box usually got headed back yards out by a lanky Welshman with a huge heart. I guess these type of players with that character come by quite rarely. Cherish when we have em...

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 12, 2023, 08:06:26 pm by Butchers Red »
Many on here need a reality check about the standards you can reasonably expect from League 2 defenders and goalkeepers.

I am sure most of the detractors would be delighted if we swapped any of our centre backs for Aden Flint and either keeper for Christie Pym ??

Well check out their flapping yesterday against Matt Smith - he tore them a new one all game.

The notion that somehow,somewhere there are players out there without a mistake all game in them is simply barmy, but carry on..........

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 12, 2023, 08:33:57 pm by scawsby steve »
Many on here need a reality check about the standards you can reasonably expect from League 2 defenders and goalkeepers.

I am sure most of the detractors would be delighted if we swapped any of our centre backs for Aden Flint and either keeper for Christie Pym ??

Well check out their flapping yesterday against Matt Smith - he tore them a new one all game.

The notion that somehow,somewhere there are players out there without a mistake all game in them is simply barmy, but carry on..........

That was one game, BR, and yes, all players make mistakes. However, is 4 clean sheets in 23 games in all comps acceptable for a team whose remit from the board is promotion?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 12, 2023, 11:18:28 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Has that “notion” been expressed? No one expects perfection and the standard is the one we witness in opposing League 2 goal keepers. I can’t claim to have assessed the ability of all the goalkeepers we’ve encountered, but I’ve seen videos of all the goals we’ve scored and I cannot remember this season anyone as passive as Jones. Most of them visibly organise their defence and are a mobile presence in their penalty area.

And inventing further assertions from “detractors” and then debunking them hardly strengthens your argument.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 13, 2023, 07:08:59 am by ncRover »

Flint yes

Pym no

Mansfield still unbeaten
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 07:11:59 am by ncRover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 13, 2023, 09:01:19 am by Campsall rover »

That was one game, BR, and yes, all players make mistakes. However, is 4 clean sheets in 23 games in all comps acceptable for a team whose remit from the board is promotion?
SS the remit was to give it our best shot at promotion as far as I am aware.
I haven’t heard any board member or GM himself say that not getting promotion this season is not acceptable.

Realistically I am quite sure the hope was and still is we can make the play offs. If that was achieved it gives us a 1 in 4 chance.
Of course the Board are going to say Promotion is the aim.  Supporters don’t want to hear that mid table mediocrity is the aim in League 2.  Season ticket sales are at stake.
Yes of course it was the aim but if we fall short I guarantee GM will not be sacked.

Next season will be a different ball game. Less than top 7 will be considered failure and the goal will definately be top 3.
GM will be aiming for the title next season. Unlike Fergie he won’t let what happened in the last 5 games of 2016/17 happen.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 13, 2023, 09:09:54 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we do work very hard off the ball.
Don’t think that’s the problem.

Set pieces and lack of concentration, switching off and a keeper who is far too quiet & not commanding his six yard box are the problems SCK imo.

I don't agree with this. Jones is very vocal and he's done well for me this year.  If he was better at claiming cross after cross he wouldn't be in league 2 as his distribution and shot stopping are now very good.  I'd rather we persevered with Jones and allowed him to develop this season given promotion is probably unlikely.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012