Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:06:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Really good performance  (Read 2421 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Really good performance
« on December 29, 2023, 10:43:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
One of the few games I've seen in person this season and we played really well tonight. Generally solid at the back, limited them to very few chances and had a few ourselves. Our central midfield was sadly the weak point and were dominated frankly. Faal and Molyneux are clearly talented but better decision making would make them a more potent threat.

Fans stuck with the team and the players we're clearly fighting tonight. I hope the club make some solid, long term decisions this January.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
Re: Really good performance
« Reply #1 on December 29, 2023, 10:53:10 pm by RoversInSpain »
It’s strange, but you instantly knew we had purpose and a different desire from the way we kicked off the game, attacked straight away… not the roll back

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 29, 2023, 11:21:20 pm by ForsolongaRover »
If you were the manager would you just say “Great performance tonight” or would you be angry that they just sat back without seemingly trying in the previous 3 games?

So was this a team shamed and transformed by self motivation or one driven hard to “up their games” and their application by the manager?

We should expect this every match.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 29, 2023, 11:29:40 pm by Pliskin »
Much improved tonight from that shit we saw on Boxing Day.

We defended well. And while we're still a bit toothless in attack we gave them something to think about - with a bit more oomph in attacking areas we could've beaten them.

Their goal was a disappointing one to concede, Faal was favourite to get to the ball first but their lad seemingly wanted it more and beat him to it.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 29, 2023, 11:33:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think it's a tactical mistake for Faal to ever be in those positions in the first place and tonight showed why.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 29, 2023, 11:41:11 pm by Avsuptem »
Faal failed to do what any half decent Sunday morning full back would do and block off the run of the attacking player.
Rather inexcusable but then that is what one might expect of a loanee striker  given a defenders job.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 29, 2023, 11:56:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was an accident waiting to happen having Faal track that attacking full back. In fairness, we tweaked the formation after their goal, but it was a mystifying tactic to be starting with.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 30, 2023, 12:04:45 am by Avsuptem »
If you were the manager would you just say “Great performance tonight” or would you be angry that they just sat back without seemingly trying in the previous 3 games?

So was this a team shamed and transformed by self motivation or one driven hard to “up their games” and their application by the manager?

We should expect this every match.

I am beginning to form the opinion that its not that the majority of our squad are  below league 2 standerd as many people here seem to think but rather that we are just lacking 1 or 2 players who can enable the team to perform according to Mc Canns tactics. I. E. attacking aggressive, exciting football. I seem to recall that during his previous tenure as manager we got on the end of the occasional pasting from this approach. The previous 3 games were renditions of the price you pay, especially when short of a couple of boss players. Some good additions in January will make this a season of 2 halves.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 30, 2023, 12:08:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
McCann hit the nail on the head in the post match interview. A massive difference tonight was the movement and preparedness to look for passes. Bravery and "mesterliness" in not being spooked by a press.

The question really is, why has that aspect of our game vanished over the past couple of months, and are these players good enough to demand it of themselves in future?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 30, 2023, 12:13:04 am by roversdude »
The transfer window sounds promising funds made available

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 30, 2023, 01:01:19 am by selby »
  Faal was in that position because over the games he has played he has won more headers clearing the ball especially from corners than the defenders in past games, he made a mistake and let the lad in from behind, it happens
  The fact that Sterry was sold a big dummy and sent on a walk down the lane seems to be being overlooked, and a ball in went right through our six yard box to the far side seems to be overlooked by many , Sterry by the way otherwise had a great game, in at last a back four  that suited the players., Olowu especially looked more suited to the system and probably had his best game of the season, please Grant whatever you said to him after his performance at Notts County please repeat and repeat every game.
   I agree with midfield is our area to strengthen, but in fairness they did hunt the ball, made tackles, and worked hard, a much better performance.
  Joe ironside was immense, probably our best midfielder working back as well as a danger all the game, brilliant.
  That is now the bar set higher, and we need more performances  like tonight, it is the minimum requirement from now on.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 30, 2023, 07:31:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Agree with Selby.  We worked really hard last night and that's what most of us wanted to see.  Hopefully a bit more confidence to regroup.

We probably should have scored more than one if we are being critical aswell. It was certainly a good away performance and point.  Ultimately despite the obvious weaknesses the players kept at it.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 30, 2023, 07:43:16 am by Rovers91 »
Let's hope we get January right because second half of season is easier than the first half of the season on paper.
We have played Notts and Mansfield twice. Wrexham, Stockport, Crewe, Accrington, Barrow, MK Dons and Wimbledon all away from home.
If we can use the second half of the season to get some serious momentum even if it leads to nothing this season be nice to start next season following finishing a season strongly.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 30, 2023, 09:39:22 am by drfchound »
It would be very good because in recent seasons our second half of season form has in the main, been poor.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 30, 2023, 11:32:07 am by ravenrover »
One player who has had dogs abuse just lately and not been mentioned much for his prrformance last night, Ben Close.
Dropping deep picking the ball up moving us forward, winning his tackles, for me an excellent all round performance shows what he can do

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 30, 2023, 11:37:47 am by Paul Simpson »
I’ve always liked Close. He looks fantastic with Westbrooke , another player that due to injury we haven’t seen enough of imo.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 30, 2023, 03:03:32 pm by philsky »
I’ve always liked Close. He looks fantastic with Westbrooke , another player that due to injury we haven’t seen enough of imo.

Close and Westbrooke were looking good together - with Molyneux adding flair

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 30, 2023, 03:19:13 pm by roversdude »
I’ll eat some humble pie in relation to Close, really thought his best days were behind him with his injury however he’s been class this season (in the main)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 30, 2023, 03:23:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I’ll eat some humble pie in relation to Close, really thought his best days were behind him with his injury however he’s been class this season (in the main)

He was excellent last night. Dropping deep to pick up the ball from defence and quickly instigating forward moves.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 30, 2023, 04:01:18 pm by Jonathan »
Close is capable. Too many times he’s just been nondescript but when he’s on it he’s decent.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 30, 2023, 04:15:12 pm by Copps is Magic »
We see the game differently it seems. Most of our possession last night was across the defense then outwide. I don't think Close or Biggins did nearly enough and were physically bullied.

But the stats say we're better with Close in the side....

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 30, 2023, 04:27:07 pm by Paul Simpson »
Just need a quality CAM to link up with Close and we’ll improve massively ! Over to you Grant.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 30, 2023, 04:38:10 pm by Prez »
I’ll echo most of what’s been put on here. Much better performance, we just looked a lot more mobile and resilient, and also always carried a threat. Passed the ball instead of just hoofing it.

I actually thought after we equalised we could go on and win it, though I understand us shutting the shop for the last 20 mins.

Strerry and both Jo’s were very good.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 30, 2023, 05:26:09 pm by ravenrover »
We see the game differently it seems. Most of our possession last night was across the defense then outwide. I don't think Close or Biggins did nearly enough and were physically bullied.

But the stats say we're better with Close in the side....
You did actually go to the game?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 30, 2023, 06:50:06 pm by selby »
  I would swop Maris or Brunt in a heart beat for Close, I don't think he would get anywhere near the Mansfield mid field line up, not their kind of player at all.
  Clough expects the full package in his mid fields on the ball and off it, not a luxury player.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 30, 2023, 07:14:31 pm by Campsall rover »
I’ll echo most of what’s been put on here. Much better performance, we just looked a lot more mobile and resilient, and also always carried a threat. Passed the ball instead of just hoofing it.

I actually thought after we equalised we could go on and win it, though I understand us shutting the shop for the last 20 mins.

We didn’t shut up shop.
Both teams were looking to get the winning goal. It was just Mansfield who had a bit more possession in the last 20 mins.
We were definitely not shutting up shop Prez and nearly won it late on.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 30, 2023, 07:37:53 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It's the first time we looked fitter than the other team. Mansfield I thought look sluggish and nackered

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 30, 2023, 08:25:57 pm by ravenrover »
They had one tactic for the last 20mins, lump it into the box

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 30, 2023, 10:21:08 pm by Prez »

We didn’t shut up shop.
Both teams were looking to get the winning goal. It was just Mansfield who had a bit more possession in the last 20 mins.
We were definitely not shutting up shop Prez and nearly won it late on.

Yes we did Paul, but we also started timewasting from around the 70 min mark. I wasnt impressed with Mansfield at all, as i say i really think we could have gone and won it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012