Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 09:54:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ODOH  (Read 4061 times)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
ODOH
« on January 06, 2024, 05:59:54 pm by Alickismyhero »
I admit I have not used stats in forming my wish to sign a player that would change our performances.

My boy, who did a Masters in statistics, tried explaining to me how statistics is used extensively in football. It went straight over my head.

If I had any influence I would BUY ODOH ASAP.

I thought he had a brilliant game today

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: ODOH
« Reply #1 on January 06, 2024, 06:01:44 pm by GazLaz »
He’s been good every time he’s played against us. Giving him the freedom of North Yorkshire today helped him mind you.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 06, 2024, 06:04:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I admit I have not used stats in forming my wish to sign a player that would change our performances.

My boy, who did a Masters in statistics, tried explaining to me how statistics is used extensively in football. It went straight over my head.

When you concede nearly 2 per game, opposition strikers tend to look good against you.

His record against most other teams suggests he's playing somewhere around his level.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 06, 2024, 06:15:01 pm by In the box »

If we signed every player who ran rings around our defence we’d have huge squad of wingers and forwards and nothing else . :lol:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 06, 2024, 06:21:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
7 goals in over 100 league appearances per Wikipedia.  His stats don't look amazing at all.

But he had a good game today. I just thought we defended really poorly against him. Their tactics were similar to what Wimbledon did to us, sit off, wait for us to commit and hit us on the break.

But it wouldn't have worked if we take our own chances, we were largely dominant.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 06, 2024, 06:23:46 pm by Alickismyhero »

When you concede nearly 2 per game, opposition strikers tend to look good against you.

His record against most other teams suggests he's playing somewhere around his level.

BST,

My gut feeling is that ODOH is our missing link up front,

Faal is failing for me, poor game today, ODOH is the man.

I can remember saying the same thing about a Peterborough midfield player, who's name I cant remember, He also destroyed us. I would have signed him but we never.

Just an opinion and its very unlikely to happen.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 06, 2024, 06:28:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BST,

I can remember saying the same thing about a Peterborough midfield player, who's name I cant remember, He also destroyed us. I would have signed him but we never.

I do understand what you mean. He has pace and busy-ness about him. I just suspect a decent defence would marshall him out of the game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 06, 2024, 06:28:43 pm by Donnywolf »
7 goals in over 100 league appearances per Wikipedia.  His stats don't look amazing at all.

But he had a good game today. I just thought we defended really poorly against him. Their tactics were similar to what Wimbledon did to us, sit off, wait for us to commit and hit us on the break.

But it wouldn't have worked if we take our own chances, we were largely dominant.

.... OR as I said elsewhere wait for us to drop an elementary b*****k and hit us on the break

And have to agree totally with taking our chances.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 06, 2024, 06:29:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We signed Biggins because he had a good game against us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 06, 2024, 06:44:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
We signed Biggins because he had a good game against us.

He knows the area.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 06, 2024, 07:15:03 pm by pib »
I thought Folarin looked the better of their front players before he went off. Dunno if he’s good overall though.

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 06, 2024, 07:18:58 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »

BST,

Are you referring to the Spanish lad posh had who ripped our midfield apart when they stuffed us 4-0 at their place 8 or 9 years ago?

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 06, 2024, 07:21:43 pm by Avsuptem »
Odoh is a brillaint striker if he is not tackled.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2024, 06:08:48 pm by scawsby steve »

BST,

Are you referring to the Spanish lad posh had who ripped our midfield apart when they stuffed us 4-0 at their place 8 or 9 years ago?

Erhun Oztumer. Actually, he wasn't Spanish, he was English, with Turkish Cypriot descendancy.

Great little midfielder.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 06:11:37 pm by scawsby steve »

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2024, 06:31:22 pm by RoversInSpain »
Christ, please don’t sign anyone who has a good game against us! Wrong criteria due to low base level.

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2024, 07:36:37 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »

BST,

Erhun Oztumer. Actually, he wasn't Spanish, he was English, with Turkish Cypriot descendancy.

Great little midfielder.

That's the bloke I was referring to. Good memory.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2024, 09:13:10 pm by bpoolrover »
What they had was loads if pace and defenders at this level hate pace, in fact its what we are crying out for

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2024, 10:50:06 pm by Prez »
Ramsey their right back, and O Conner centre back, are their best players, along with Thompson in midfield with 10 goals this season, would walk into our team.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:52:55 pm by Prez »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2024, 10:47:26 am by pib »
Harrogate have average gates this season of 2600, and their starting XI on Saturday consisted of a mixture of players who played for them in non-league (2 of the 11 even played for them in the National League North, and a further two such players featured as subs), plus a collection of low-key signings, mostly let go by other clubs, who can clearly do a good job at this level. I doubt that many, if any, of their XI on Saturday are paid more than any of our team.

Yet they are 12th in the league, two points outside the top 7, and have 9 more points to-date than we do - as things stand right now, I'd snap your hand off for Rovers to swap positions with them.

I don't mean this as an insult to Harrogate. Far from it actually. I think it shows that even with meagre resources at this level, if you have a clear and effective way of playing, and recruit to that identity, you can outperform expectations and outperform your budget.

A lot is said about using data and risk management in recruitment, which is something I'm in agreement we need to be much better at. But you look at Harrogate and they can't have a massive roster of staff working on these things. So how hard can it be with our undoubtedly more abundant resources to get our act together?

Obviously something they do have is a manager who has been in post for a long period of time, which I'm sure is an advantage to them rather than a hindrance, and I'm hoping that, given time, McCann is able to build something here. But looking at us at the moment, we are miles off it, and it does make your faith in the whole thing waver sometimes when we consistently lose games to teams with much more modest resources, but far more cohesion and competence behind the scenes than we have.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2024, 10:50:47 am by mushRTID »
Regardless of Harrogate's budget, league position, what level their players came from........I thought they were absolutely shite.

They won because yet again we cannot defend but on this occasion the added insult we missed some golden chances that would have put us out of sight.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:05:45 pm by mushRTID »

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2024, 12:29:21 pm by bedale rover »
Spoke to Copps at full time and he agreed that Odoh had been the difference for them

He did what Close should be doing for us

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2024, 01:16:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Harrogate have average gates this season of 2600, and their starting XI on Saturday consisted of a mixture of players who played for them in non-league (2 of the 11 even played for them in the National League North, and a further two such players featured as subs), plus a collection of low-key signings, mostly let go by other clubs, who can clearly do a good job at this level. I doubt that many, if any, of their XI on Saturday are paid more than any of our team.

Yet they are 12th in the league, two points outside the top 7, and have 9 more points to-date than we do - as things stand right now, I'd snap your hand off for Rovers to swap positions with them.

I don't mean this as an insult to Harrogate. Far from it actually. I think it shows that even with meagre resources at this level, if you have a clear and effective way of playing, and recruit to that identity, you can outperform expectations and outperform your budget.

A lot is said about using data and risk management in recruitment, which is something I'm in agreement we need to be much better at. But you look at Harrogate and they can't have a massive roster of staff working on these things. So how hard can it be with our undoubtedly more abundant resources to get our act together?

Obviously something they do have is a manager who has been in post for a long period of time, which I'm sure is an advantage to them rather than a hindrance, and I'm hoping that, given time, McCann is able to build something here. But looking at us at the moment, we are miles off it, and it does make your faith in the whole thing waver sometimes when we consistently lose games to teams with much more modest resources, but far more cohesion and competence behind the scenes than we have.

Well, is it because McCann is dealing with  what he inherited whilst implementing his own ideas?

As you say over time we all hope he can have sufficient influence and impact to turn fortunes around.

Unfortunately and I guess inevitably, folk will cloud the past with the present, particularly following defeats.

For example. McCann recently said they have been using data and more when doing their scouting and research, yet here we are the club is still being accused of not using this information effectively and suggesting things need to change.

The same folk will compare us to other clubs where key personnel have been in place for years, and they have established some continuity in their approach to recruitment.?

How long does McCann need to work through what he inherited? Or will it be our league position that ultimately decides what time he has?

How many transfer windows has Weaver had at Harrogate to achieve their steady progression?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2024, 01:28:19 pm by ravenrover »
Will Harrogate ever progress from  League 2? I would think most unlikely

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2024, 01:34:08 pm by pib »

Well, is it because McCann is dealing with  what he inherited whilst implementing his own ideas?

As you say over time we all hope he can have sufficient influence and impact to turn fortunes around.

Unfortunately and I guess inevitably, folk will cloud the past with the present, particularly following defeats.

For example. McCann recently said they have been using data and more when doing their scouting and research, yet here we are the club is still being accused of not using this information effectively and suggesting things need to change.

The same folk will compare us to other clubs where key personnel have been in place for years, and they have established some continuity in their approach to recruitment.?

How long does McCann need to work through what he inherited? Or will it be our league position that ultimately decides what time he has?

How many transfer windows has Weaver had at Harrogate to achieve their steady progression?

I think he's definitely working through legacy issues. I've probably not emphasised that enough in the post but absolutely fair point. For now, he's stuck with players like Anderson, Biggins, Taylor, Lavery and Long. who aren't contributing enough for the wages they earn. That's got to be a hindrance.

But I think there's still a question mark over how we recruit and operate. Seaman was given a new contract in the summer, Lawlor re-signed, Wood signed, Sotona signed. Big question marks still over whether Broadbent will cut it. Not sure what data/process threw up the two new lads, but only time will tell on them. At the moment they look like more gambles that could go either way.

I'd give him as long as he needs to sort it, within reason. I don't think there are many better managers out there we can attract and I've staunchly backed him since day 1, even when we couldn't buy a win and others on here were calling him out. But the whole "legacy issues" line only goes so far, and it starts to wear thin a bit when you see a team struggling to do the basics as we do so often. If you're working with a limited bunch of players surely the first thing you do is get them doing the basics and get them organised - how long does that take?

We look like a team caught in a bit of a fantasy that we can go out and dominate teams and be expansive. I think it's been highlighted on here and on Twitter that we're actually better with less of the ball with the current set of personnel we have.

In any case, where should we be with the squad we've got now? I don't think it's one of the best squads in the league by a long way, but 19th? And with performance at best flatlining? I think we should be doing better even in the circumstances, and I doubt Grant would disagree. Privately he must be disappointed with the season so far.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 08, 2024, 01:46:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe some scope for some good questions at the Meet the Owners tonight.

"Why has the season not gone as well as you expected?"

"We currently have a squad of 35 players. Going forward, what number do you think is the optimum to be more competitive and how do you intend to get there?"

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 08, 2024, 04:15:53 pm by ncRover »
Odoh was right there to sign in the summer after his Rochdale contract ran out after playing 45 league games last season. I doubt Harrogate were offering money out of our price range. He could be on the left of our front 3 right now.

But we instead spent that (likely) same amount of money on the unproven Sotona and the substandard Seaman’s wages.

Just make sensible decisions. Whose contract is coming up to expiry? Are they proven at this level or excelling at the one below? Do they fit the style of play? Are they what the system is missing? Do they have a good attitude? Do they consistently stay fit?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 08, 2024, 04:56:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
At the start of the season, no reason to believe Kyle Hurst, Tommy Rowe, George Miller, Mo Faal, Luke Molyneux  etc aren't capable of performances and goals like that on Saturday.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2024, 07:07:13 pm by dickos1 »
Spoke to Copps at full time and he agreed that Odoh had been the difference for them

Close is a completely different player to odoh, not sure you could get two different players if you tried

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 08, 2024, 07:38:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Close is a completely different player to odoh, not sure you could get two different players if you tried

Tbf Lawlor is probably a bit more different

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 21, 2024, 08:12:15 pm by Chris Black come back »

Gone to Peterborough United.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012