Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:21:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ben Sheaf  (Read 3814 times)

Drover

• Forum Member
Ben Sheaf
« on January 21, 2024, 12:44:43 pm by Drover »
Noticed he got a brace for Coventry yesterday,first one was a nice curler into far corner,plus nice to see Wendies lose again from it,he's not scored many,but a very good allround midfield player I liked watching when on loan with us,think he was unrated by a few of our fans.Wish we was playing in the championship with him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:47:49 pm by Drover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Ben Sheaf
« Reply #1 on January 21, 2024, 01:25:46 pm by MachoMadness »
Overshadowed by more racist abuse from the owls fans, sadly.

This rovers side is crying out for a Ben Sheaf style player though.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 21, 2024, 02:07:04 pm by ncRover »
That first goal was epic. Especially because it was the overrated little twerp Bannan that he expertly turned.

Also concerning that the “Wednesday till I die podcast” tweeted after the game:

“ I don't condone any racism whatsoever but he was at it all game inciting the fans.
He's not the innocent party in all of this.”

What the actual f*ck?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 21, 2024, 02:42:24 pm by drfchound »
The Wednesday keeper might have saved that first one had he stood more to the centre of his goal.   
Great strike though by Sheaf.
There is now a picture of the Wednesday fan doing a monkey gesture to the Coventry player.
He should be identifiable from that.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 21, 2024, 02:58:25 pm by tommy toes »
That first goal was epic. Especially because it was the overrated little twerp Bannan that he expertly turned.

“ I don't condone any racism whatsoever but he was at it all game inciting the fans.

What the actual f*ck?
I was out last night with a Wendy fan who was there.
He said much the same ie Palmer was winding the home fans up, and this was what triggered the abuse!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 21, 2024, 03:23:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »

What the actual f*ck?
He said much the same ie Palmer was winding the home fans up, and this was what triggered the abuse!

Give him stick then, don't call him a monkey.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 21, 2024, 03:25:25 pm by ncRover »

What the actual f*ck?

It’s no excuse at all. What triggered the abuse was that Wednesday fan being a disgusting scumbag.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 21, 2024, 03:27:45 pm by Filo »
The Wednesday keeper might have saved that first one had he stood more to the centre of his goal.   
Great strike though by Sheaf.
There is now a picture of the Wednesday fan doing a monkey gesture to the Coventry player.
He should be identifiable from that.

https://x.com/footbalifights/status/1749055352014782821?s=61&t=DCRm1C_BBr5pt7J45jXUsA

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 21, 2024, 03:35:35 pm by wilts rover »

What the actual f*ck?

It's your fault I'm a racist. Good luck in court with that one.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 21, 2024, 03:44:18 pm by jmt23 »
Ben Sheaf is now fully fit and this has aided the Coventry rise. Absolute quality player, who deserves a shot in the prem.
The best midfielder I have watched live - I never got to see Jacob Ramsey, which is a shame, he is another level above.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 21, 2024, 05:36:46 pm by NickDRFC »
Ben Sheaf is now fully fit and this has aided the Coventry rise. Absolute quality player, who deserves a shot in the prem.
The best midfielder I have watched live - I never got to see Jacob Ramsey, which is a shame, he is another level above.

How long have you been watching football? He may yet surpass them both but I’m surprised anyone would rate Sheaf in a Rovers shirt more highly than Stock or Wellens, or even Whiteman who he played alongside.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 21, 2024, 06:07:21 pm by RoversInSpain »
I’m no expert whatsoever, I just watch footy and enjoy it (or not).
I thought sheaf was steady but very ordinary, lots of sideways and backwards passing.
Decent goal v Gillingham.
Certainly nowhere near a Stock or Wellens or Ramsay.
However he’s done very well, got a very good manager mind.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 21, 2024, 06:10:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
He was very tidy and efficient. Clearly he has improved no end since then.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 21, 2024, 06:28:01 pm by bpoolrover »
People said all henderson did was pass backwards and sideways, but they dont notice all fhe time they break they play up and covering they do

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 21, 2024, 06:30:26 pm by drfchound »
Sheaf is still only 25 so probably not at his peak.
A bit unfair to compare him to Stock or Wellens who people will remember at their best.
A bit like comparing your new dog to the one no longer here, at his best.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 21, 2024, 07:26:43 pm by NickDRFC »
Sheaf is still only 25 so probably not at his peak.
A bit unfair to compare him to Stock or Wellens who people will remember at their best.
A bit like comparing your new dog to the one no longer here, at his best.

I brought Stock and Wellens into it as jmt123 said “the best midfielder I have watched live”. I’m interested to know whether he saw Stock & Wellens play as it seems surprising to me that anyone would put Ben Sheaf above them. Given he played next to Whiteman I wouldn’t even say he was the best midfielder in the midfield he played in here!

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 21, 2024, 08:06:48 pm by jmt23 »
I did have the joy of watching them yes, I’ve been a fan since 85, but in my view they were not as good as Ben Sheaf - I also include Whiteman in that list. Shock jock stuff eh!
Not many fans liked him at DRFC, and it annoyed the hell out of me! He took some awful stick from supposed DRFC fans, he did have a slow start, he was then out injured for a couple of weeks, but came back a different level. His passing range was unreal, his ability to read play, the when you see his size, it was obvious ( to me at least) he would go way higher - I just hoped it was with us. I think someone said on hear at the time, the stick he got, visibly hurt and annoyed his parents and possibly killed any chance we had.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 21, 2024, 09:45:39 pm by Bills view »
Sheaf was quality. He was young but he had something when he was with us. I used to enjoy watching him like I did Kane.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 23, 2024, 09:06:39 pm by hamiltonrover »

Did you never see Herbie Kane?

He’s arguably the best player I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt, even better considering it was his first taste of men’s football. I would put Kane a few levels above Sheaf, I did think Sheaf was decent though.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 23, 2024, 09:33:46 pm by drfcsteve »

He’s arguably the best player I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt, even better considering it was his first taste of men’s football. I would put Kane a few levels above Sheaf, I did think Sheaf was decent though.

Why is Kane only playing in league 1 then?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 23, 2024, 09:36:09 pm by GazLaz »
Sheaf has matured into a very fine player. The fact we had him and Whiteman in the same midfield is incredible really. Two of the Championships best.

It wasn’t long ago we had Ben Sheaf, Ben Whiteman, Jacob Ramsey, Niall Ennis, James Coppinger, Devante Cole, Seny Dieng, (prime) Kieran Sadlier, Reece James, (prime) Tom Anderson, Jason Lokilo and Max Watters in the same team. Fair set of players looking back.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 09:49:23 pm by GazLaz »

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 23, 2024, 09:50:09 pm by hamiltonrover »

Why is Kane only playing in league 1 then?

No idea, I haven’t asked him.
When he signed for Hull and Barnsley they were both Championship Clubs, so he’s played at the same level.
Sheaf has just maybe kicked on and developed into a better player, but IMO Kane was better at Donny than Sheaf.
Similar to Whiteman, many thought he was a future star and it hasn’t really materialised, yes, he’s playing Championship football, so a good level, but most thought he was better than that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 23, 2024, 10:36:21 pm by drfchound »
It’s all about opinions though isn’t it.
jmt23 thinks Sheaf is the best he has seen live.
Others have suggested that players like Kane, Whiteman, Coppinger, Wellens and Stock are or were better but that is their opinion.
It doesn’t make jmt23 wrong.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 23, 2024, 10:52:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Sheaf for us was tidy and efficient. Not stand out. Kane was absolutely amazing for us. Very high quality.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 23, 2024, 10:56:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
Personally I thought while Sheaf showed potential, he gave the ball away far too many times while with us. Gone on to do very well & good luck to him.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 24, 2024, 07:15:25 am by 5minstogo »
Sheaf was like Mark Wilson. Outstanding for half the fanbase that know what they're talking about and rubbish for the other half who don't.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 24, 2024, 07:57:44 am by Lesonthewest »
I witnessed him give the ball to an opponent from 5 yards on more than one occasion, good player now though.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 24, 2024, 08:13:41 am by pib »
I thought Sheaf was good and Wilson average at best, and very very rarely outstanding. I must half know what I’m talking about.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 24, 2024, 09:17:17 am by Chris Black come back »
No way did half of our support rate Wilson!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 24, 2024, 01:38:24 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Sheaf was like Mark Wilson. Outstanding for half the fanbase that know what they're talking about and rubbish for the other half who don't.

Are you any relation to GazLaz?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012