Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:27:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Grimsby Town game  (Read 4804 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Grimsby Town game
« on February 13, 2024, 10:49:14 pm by selby »
  After a slog of a game against an agricultural side in Salford when missed chances, probably a poor offside decision, and the keeper probably could have done better on at least one of their goals cost us a couple of points, its on to another hard game against Grimsby where it is never easy.
   Was I disappointed with the draw no, just that we only got a draw at the end, the team as a whole showing fight again and a togetherness and a work ethic we have missed up to the last few games and we should go again with the same team for this game injury allowing for me.
   On a soggy pitch Anderson and Wood did the basics of defending just right,  the two full backs battled and did well, and the mid field worked very hard and kept going, and when a team battles  in those conditions they deserve the rewards.
    Grimsby had their fixture cancelled so will be better rested  for the game but whether that is an advantage is debatable if the results are going well and we go into the game unusually three games unbeaten and confidence should now be a lot higher in the team than just a couple of weeks ago the three new loan players playing a big part all three playing well now they have settled in.
  Grimsby meanwhile are not having the best of times themselves losing to Stockport on Saturday at home 1-3 and are now bottom of the divisions last six games form league, but that spells danger to me as we are just the team to normally get teams going well again as we all know although they have let in a lot of goals at home, and don't have a player in the list of second division top scorers, and have only won one of their last six league games, so in a bad run, and we need to put our foot on their neck and keep them down.
  Can we actually go four games unbeaten? hopefully we can, with our new found grafting when we don't have the ball making a big difference at both ends of the field, defenders doing better and creating chances at the other end, quite a difference in our play, can we raise our game again? we will have a decent following so hoping so, and against a team going through what we have endured for a long while, and is hard to get out of a bad run of results.
   So after Salford its another well done , tinged with a little regret we could have come away with a win with a little luck, something we are not always blessed with. We need to keep up our work  rate,  keep matching the other teams determination and we will get better with some young players getting experience.   
    What do you think? the last three games are a pointer to me that we are getting our identity back lots to discuss about this game, please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Grimsby Town game
« Reply #1 on February 13, 2024, 11:30:08 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We beat them at home 1-0, earlier in the season . We face a side that apart from the 5-5 draw with Notts County, is really struggling for results. It’s a game against a side a place below us, in and around the relegation zone. They lost 1-6 at home to Walsall but did pick up a result against our opponents tonight, beating Salford 0-3 away from home. It will be a battle. More of the same from tonight, a bit more ruthless with with the finishing being picky.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2024, 06:59:46 am by colincramb »
I fancy this one for 3 points. Really do.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2024, 10:19:55 am by Colin C No.3 »

We’re starting (at long last!) to click & play as a team.

I’m with you colincramb for a win.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2024, 11:39:05 am by selby »
  Pick up a win and the three points and we will have averaged two points a game over the last four games, heady days at last if we can deliver on the day, and just what our loyal travelling supporters deserve to see after a couple of years of heart ache.
   Of course it is no good counting our chickens before they hatch, we still have a job to do, and Grimsby no way are going to lay down and make it easy, we will have to earn the right to play.
   Our little run has come more from upping our physical side of the game, as well as more basic defending in our own area than great technical ability, but that will come as confidence rises and some of our younger players get more experience when and where on the field they can try things. At the moment we want to keep our work rate going, especially on the heavy pitches we are coming across at the moment.
  We just need to keep doing what we are doing, the rest will come.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2024, 12:30:22 pm by Butchers Red »
How many are we taking?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2024, 12:32:04 pm by drfchound »
I might be wrong but I think we have been given just under 1200 tickets and they are just about gone.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2024, 06:48:40 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Another section towards the corner has been given on top now. Seems they don't sell their home end out like last season

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2024, 07:45:04 pm by colincramb »
Last 10 tickets according to our website. Looks like that’s our lot then

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2024, 08:35:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Grimsby have worst home defence in entire League Two. Concede on average 2 each home game. Last time they managed home clean sheet was 13 games ago on 2 September.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2024, 08:39:50 pm by selby »
  Now you have done it.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 16, 2024, 10:39:39 am by ncRover »
Grimsby seem preoccupied with trying to make playing out from the back work. When perhaps they don't have the personnel for it - we know how that feels. McCann will take note of Stockport's 1st goal here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqGoww6fzo

The consensus on here is that we do well against teams such as this and I think we will.

I watched an Artell interview this morning and he raised the fact that they have played better against the "better teams" at home. By that he means a 2-1 win over Crewe a whole 2 MONTHS AGO, and a 5-5 draw with Notts County (not exactly great that Dave).

He also mentioned that fact that the stats in their 1-3 home loss to Stockport were quite even. Ignoring the fact that Stockport were 3 nil up after half an hour and likely took their foot off the gas.

Their fans are also very agitated. With a big crowd expected, things could soon turn toxic.

Their main attacking threats seem to be Rose and Eisa, who pose a more mobile threat than Smith did on Tuesday night. An aerial assault is less likely in favour of a more process driven approach. Because of this I would bring Olowu back in (who was excellent in the first half v Tranmere) for whoever out of Wood and Anderson is going to struggle to last 90 minutes.

If Senior is out for this it might not be that big a loss, as the game may be nice and open for Maxwell to attack (4 out of the 5 they conceded v Notts were from crosses). I fancy Billy Waters to get off the mark for Rovers tomorrow too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:47:15 am by ncRover »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2024, 11:07:12 am by Sprotyrover »
Should be a tough game they need the points as much as we do,UP THE ROVERS!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2024, 11:39:26 am by Barmby Rover »
A win for Rovers may be more likely than a loss, but our vulnerabilities are still there, we conceded two at Salford remember. A scrape by win 1-2 with a bit of luck.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2024, 11:49:46 am by selby »
  It is never an easy game there, and the pitch is hopefully in better nick than the one at Salford.
  Despite what others have said about their style of play, any team that plays against us would be fools with our record of conceding from open play and and set pieces not to get the ball across our goal as often as possible.
  The two central defenders and keeper dealt reasonably well with those situations at Salford, and I see no reason to make changes in the team after their display Tuesday, and an added incentive to play well, most are playing for a future in league football.
  If we play well we win the game or at least get a result, and in new territory a fourth game unbeaten. We need to keep our form going to the end of the season to gain supporter confidence going forward to next season, this season and the pressure cannot be allowed to peter out we need a result or if not a performance in all the games to the end of the season.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2024, 12:38:46 pm by colincramb »
Would love a repeat of the 5-1 drubbing we dished out there a few years ago.

Thing is, look at the team we put out there that day compared to what we field now. It’s night and day

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 16, 2024, 01:10:56 pm by pib »
Would love a repeat of the 5-1 drubbing we dished out there a few years ago.

Thing is, look at the team we put out there that day compared to what we field now. It’s night and day

What a day that was. It put us 10 points clear of Portsmouth and 6 points clear of Plymouth with 6 games to go, and we managed to finish below both of them.

Team that day: Lawlor, Alcock, Baudry, Butler, Blair, McCullough, Rowe, Mason, McSheffrey, Marquis, Williams.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 16, 2024, 02:27:16 pm by graingrover »
A free agent this summer !

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 16, 2024, 04:03:02 pm by ChrisBx »
I think we'll win this one. Grimsby really are poor and it seems like we've turned a corner.

2-1 Rovers.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 16, 2024, 05:14:23 pm by ncRover »

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 16, 2024, 07:19:27 pm by essexrover »

We’re starting (at long last!) to click & play as a team.

I’m with you colincramb for a win.
Ditto.....

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2024, 08:12:23 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Over on their forum they are confident of a win in their prediction thread. Then again some people have predicted an away crowd of 800 despite it being sold out with extra allocation

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2024, 08:59:22 pm by DearneValleyRover »
There’s a lot of discontent over there, they aren’t happy because they don’t have the players to implement the style the manager wants. Sounds a bit like us

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 17, 2024, 02:34:21 pm by ncRover »
Wood and Anderson start together again.

We defended pretty deep against Salford but I don’t know why we have to do it against Grimsby.

Unless we don’t and we’re going to get caught in behind a fair bit. Vernam is quick and Rose and Eisa aren’t slow either.

Hope I’m wrong.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 17, 2024, 02:40:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not sure what is happening with the midfield three. With Waters on the bench will he play Biggins in behind the from three, with Bailey and the Spurs lad sitting again? Guess Biggins has some form at their place.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 17, 2024, 03:10:11 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Squeaky bum time for Gaz.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 17, 2024, 04:02:39 pm by scawsby steve »

Absolutely. I believe that's 8 from open play in the league now for Joe.

However, it looks dodgy for CC3 as well. I think he's paying out for every position below 10th that we finish in.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 17, 2024, 04:04:47 pm by mushRTID »

Joe’s goals or tipping Grimsby to do well?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 17, 2024, 04:25:58 pm by Pancho Regan »

Absolutely. I believe that's 8 from open play in the league now for Joe.

However, it looks dodgy for CC3 as well. I think he's paying out for every position below 10th that we finish in.

I think that's 9 from open play for Joe.

One more to hit the 10 mark .... come on Joe.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 17, 2024, 04:32:28 pm by ncRover »
Joe now tied for his career best league return with 14 games left. Great value signing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012