Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:08:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The next eight games.  (Read 2865 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
The next eight games.
« on February 18, 2024, 11:43:09 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I firmly believe that we will have a strong finish to the season which will belie the performances & results we have seen for the majority of the season.

Before I go any further I want it known that I have not had any alcohol for 4 weeks.

I appreciate that some forum members swear by data. ‘Data may date, but it don’t lie’ I believe is the ‘mantra’.

So, I have spent a full afternoon on my Sinclair Spectrum & I now give you the results from the ‘East Coast Judges’…well judge.

These are our next eight league opponents & alongside, their current league position, my forecast of each game & the subsequent points gained.

Wimbledon (8th) H Win - 3pts.

Walsall (16th) A Loss - 0pts.

Brad City (13th) A Draw - I pt.

Crewe (4th) H Win - 3pts.

Colchester (21st) A Win - 3pts.

Swindon (18th) A Win - 3pts.

Forest Green (23rd) H Win - 3pts.

Crawley (15th) A Draw - 1pt.

A total of 17 points gained.

These set of results will leave Rovers with a running total of 53 points which should (according to my data) lift us into 16th place in the league (I did of course run all the next eight fixtures for all teams in the division through my computer).

With eight games remaining (this is heart rather than data driven) I believe we will have ‘grown’ as a team enough to enable us to amass sufficient points to see us finish in the top ten teams by the seasons end.

That ends the scoring of the ‘East Coast Judges’ (judge).

As an aside, I ran Joe Ironsides statistics through the computer before it started emitting blue smoke from the back.
Using the following analysis, the amount of running he does off the ball, the shirt pulling & leaning over on by opposing defenders which never deters him from the next challenge, the amount of sweat the computer calculated would be wrung from his shirt after each game (+4 litres), his determination to increase his xg’s (it was at that point the computer struggled to compute & started smoking…heavily) but not before it ‘spat out’ the following data.

Joe Ironside finishes the season with a total of 19 league goals….13 from ‘open play’.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:01:08 am by Colin C No.3 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: The next eight games.
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2024, 07:48:10 am by ncRover »
You’ll be pleased to hear Col that Joe is a man who defies the data.

He has 9 open play goals from an “expected” 6.

I would say that shows he has been clinical rather than lucky. Looking at shot conversion he’s one of the most efficient strikers in the league!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 07:56:37 am by ncRover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2024, 08:01:13 am by Campsall rover »
I firmly believe that we will have a strong finish to the season which will belie the performances & results we have seen for the majority of the season.

Before I go any further I want it known that I have not had any alcohol for 4 weeks.

I appreciate that some forum members swear by data. ‘Data may date, but it don’t lie’ I believe is the ‘mantra’.

So, I have spent a full afternoon on my Sinclair Spectrum & I now give you the results from the ‘East Coast Judges’…well judge.

These are our next eight league opponents & alongside, their current league position, my forecast of each game & the subsequent points gained.

These set of results will leave Rovers with a running total of 53 points which should (according to my data) lift us into 16th place in the league (I did of course run all the next eight fixtures for all teams in the division through my computer).

With eight games remaining (this is heart rather than data driven) I believe we will have ‘grown’ as a team enough to enable us to amass sufficient points to see us finish in the top ten teams by the seasons end.

As an aside, I ran Joe Ironsides statistics through the computer before it started emitting blue smoke from the back.
Using the following analysis, the amount of running he does off the ball, the shirt pulling & leaning over on by opposing defenders which never deters him from the next challenge, the amount of sweat the computer calculated would be wrung from his shirt after each game (+4 litres), his determination to increase his xg’s (it was at that point the computer struggled to compute & started smoking…heavily) but not before it ‘spat out’ the following data.

Joe Ironside finishes the season with a total of 19 league goals….13 from ‘open play’.
Love that Colin.  :thumbsup:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2024, 08:13:37 am by drfchound »

I didn’t realise that you were so up to date with technology CC3.
Working all that out would be way beyond me.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2024, 05:17:59 pm by Upton Rover »
I think we will still be end up 10points short of a playoff place, that’s not acceptable

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2024, 07:02:07 am by dickos1 »
So you’d sack the manager then ?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 20, 2024, 11:20:00 am by Colin C No.3 »
So you’d sack the manager then ?

Think you need to quote him dickos otherwise it’s going straight over his head in a ‘He can’t be talking to me’ sorta way.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 20, 2024, 01:24:24 pm by Metalmicky »

I'll go for the following.....

Wimbledon (8th) H Draw - 1 pts.

Walsall (16th) A Win - 3 pts.

Brad City (13th) A Loss - 0 pts.

Crewe (4th) H Loss - 0 pts.

Colchester (21st) A Draw - 1 pt.

Swindon (18th) A Loss - 0 pts.

Forest Green (23rd) H Win - 3 pts.

Crawley (15th) A Draw - 1 pt.

So a total of 9 points...

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 20, 2024, 02:57:29 pm by Butchers Red »
I'm going for 20 points minimum from next 8.

The only proviso in that is no more key injuries - keep the group we've had on the pitch over the last 4 games together and it's nailed on.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 24, 2024, 10:31:17 am by Colin C No.3 »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 24, 2024, 10:38:07 am by Colin C No.3 »
See the Wimbledon, Walsall, Stockport thread for the next ‘thrilling instalment’.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 24, 2024, 10:38:19 am by adamtherover »

100% Spot on so far!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 24, 2024, 10:38:41 am by roversdude »
Hope you put money on these Col

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 24, 2024, 11:35:48 am by Sprotyrover »
Dave Penny always said we needed 50 points to be safe!

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 24, 2024, 12:19:28 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Dave Penny always said we needed 50 points to be safe!

Where is Dave P. these days?…just asking!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 24, 2024, 04:38:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
Not 100% as we haven’t played Crawley or Colchester yet? But, near enough.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 24, 2024, 04:45:32 pm by adamtherover »
so of the games we have played he has 100% correct.  If he isn't 100%, what number would you give to his predictions?  Near enough as you say, what's that mean, 98, 99%, accurate? Give us A number? , and I did say SO FAR!!!!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 24, 2024, 04:52:23 pm by dickos1 »

He’s 100% of course he is

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 26, 2024, 04:49:04 pm by Pancho Regan »
Brilliant predictions there Colin!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 26, 2024, 05:58:17 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Brilliant predictions there Colin!

That’s very magnanimous of you however, the data I use is pretty sophisticated Pancho & no disrespect intended, but it’s what they call  ‘way above your pay grade’.

You see it’s not only xg’s to be taken into account, to really have your finger on the pulse you need to consider & input time series analysis which in effect means looking into rolling averages, lagging averages, finding trends & of course being aware of noisy data.

And all that’s before you even begin to consider lineament volumes & application, long studs, short studs & yes even no studs.
Long coach journeys, short coach journeys or no coach journeys.

Don’t even ask about the condition of playing surfaces to be factored in.

I have to hold my hands up & admit to you Pancho, there have been times, head in hands times, when I’ve thought to myself ‘Just go with your gut instinct’.

There, I’ve said it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:00:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 26, 2024, 07:20:27 pm by Spud »
Way above my pay grade too Colin, most of that went whoosh.
If you have any tips for a decent acca at the weekend though, I'm all ears lol.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012