Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:31:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: London  (Read 4585 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: London
« Reply #180 on March 14, 2024, 12:05:04 pm by ncRover »
What the point you’re trying to make Selby? There has to be a language that is the second most common. A lot of my Polish patients have excellent English too.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on March 14, 2024, 12:16:13 pm by selby »
  I am not trying to make any point, just repeating the stats given on the radio, that Polish and Rumanian are the most common languages spoken after English in Britain, and the words most recognised with their meaning by non English speakers.
  Personally if two Polish lads or lasses were in a room together I would expect them to converse in their own language, it would be just natural.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #182 on March 14, 2024, 12:17:39 pm by SydneyRover »
Any chance you could treat those with Tourette's Syndrome on the forum nc?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #183 on March 14, 2024, 12:41:19 pm by ravenrover »
Funny you should say that Selby, my lovely Chiro is Danish as is her husband I asked her when they are at home do they speak Danish, of course not was her answer we speak English

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on March 14, 2024, 01:29:34 pm by ncRover »
Can anyone on here speak another language? I wish I could.

We’re lucky English is so universal though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on March 14, 2024, 01:31:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  Johnathan, I will go slow for you then, in a survey talked about on the Radio this last Monday Polish was the most common foreign language used on these shores with half a million recognising it as their first language to be used, Romanian was the second most commonly talked foreign language in Britain.
  F**K, Mother F***er, Ausie B*****d  etc were the most recognised English words by non English speaking foreigners.

What about all them bloody Asians who haven't assimilated?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on March 14, 2024, 01:35:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Learning to speak another language is an adventure. It broadens your mind. I've got passable Italian, taught to me by my half-Italian wife. It's a beautiful language. Elegant, poetic, expressive and surprisingly easy to learn. I was hopeless at speaking until one day I decided-a to-a ham uppada de style-a. It was astonishing from that moment how easy it was to get the pronunciation and the genders and the verb conjugations right. Never looked back.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on March 14, 2024, 01:58:17 pm by Not Now Kato »

Learning to speak another language is an adventure. It broadens your mind. I've got passable Italian, taught to me by my half-Italian wife. It's a beautiful language. Elegant, poetic, expressive and surprisingly easy to learn. I was hopeless at speaking until one day I decided-a to-a ham uppada de style-a. It was astonishing from that moment how easy it was to get the pronunciation and the genders and the verb conjugations right. Never looked back.

Reminds me of when I had a European role so decided to learn conversational French even though all the French guys I dealt with spoke excellent English. Enrolled for an evening course at Ridgewood school. It was amazing how few people so much as tried to pronounce words with the sort of sounds the French use, even though the tutor encouraged them to try the majority just couldn't drop their Yorkshire accents.  With words like Bonjour being pronounced bon-jew-er with no effort to try in spite of encouragement by the tutor it didn't take long for people to start dropping out and week by week there were less people until the tutor gave up and cancelled the course!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on March 14, 2024, 02:09:48 pm by scawsby steve »

Italian is a beautiful sounding language. I've just researched and found that after English, the most spoken languages in the world are Mandarin, Hindi, French, and Spanish.

I love languages. My only regret is that I got my TEFL qualification too late in life to use it.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on March 14, 2024, 03:14:56 pm by danumdon »

Offensive to Italians, You better than most should know this. Something done similar about any ethnic language would of had some on here up in arms.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on March 14, 2024, 04:10:52 pm by selby »
  I will leave that for you to decide Billy and the Bloody part you must be used to saying.
    I have got on fine with the ones I have played sport with, worked with, and employed, and have never thought of them as Bloody Asians as you describe them.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on March 14, 2024, 04:11:19 pm by Sprotyrover »

[/quote
I speak German with a  Niedersasche accent, so pass for a German when in Deutcheland

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on March 14, 2024, 04:26:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
All countries should learn to speak English. Not doing so is just plain lazy.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on March 14, 2024, 05:01:25 pm by Iberian Red »

Italian is a beautiful sounding language. I've just researched and found that after English, the most spoken languages in the world are Mandarin, Hindi, French, and Spanish.

I love languages. My only regret is that I got my TEFL qualification too late in life to use it.

That's a pity SS.
A TEFL or TESOL qualification is an opportunity to work nearly anywhere in the world,this some of the more interesting countries won't give visas to over 40s.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on March 14, 2024, 05:16:20 pm by Iberian Red »
  Iberian Red is happy to come on here virtue signalling while living in the most racial country in Europe. Push illegal immigrants straight through into other countries back yard, and Brutally put down the Catalan movement when the rest of the EU just closed their eyes.
  No cries of crimes against humanity, no going to court in the Hague, and the ECJ just closed ranks, while the police went on a craze of beating everyone in sight up.

There's more than one country on the peninsula.
From your description(wildly inaccurate),it sounds like the place for you!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on March 14, 2024, 05:21:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Offensive to Italians, You better than most should know this. Something done similar about any ethnic language would of had some on here up in arms.

God help us. Does EVERY exchange have to end up like this.

It is not in any way whatsoever offensive. There is a reason why how their language spoken by them sounds different to their language spoken with an English lilt, exactly as NNK reflected on. Italian DOES have a vowel at the end of pretty much every word, and that gives the spoken language a certain rhythm. It's precisely why an Italian who is not very experienced at speaking English tends to add a vowel-a sound-a at the end of every word. Because it is unnatural for them to end words with a hard consonant. There's nothing offensive about noting that. It is a fact.

Equally, it is difficult for us native English speakers to get used to a language that doesn't have words ending in hard consonants. There's a tendency for us to put the emphasis in the wrong place. In particular, they almost never put the emphasis on the final vowel, and when we do, that sounds just like a foreigner speaking Italian badly. When I started consciously trying to mimic the way Italians pronounce the final vowel, everything else suddenly became easy. Like I automatically knew where the emphasis should go.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 05:31:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on March 14, 2024, 05:23:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tell you the bit I've never got about foreigners.

Every time we play a foreign team in the World Cup or Euros, the ref is a foreigner too.

No wonder we never win.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on March 14, 2024, 05:26:18 pm by Iberian Red »
It's a case of faux outrage#
Just like me being accused of phobias when I was clearly saying a certain poster was a man that enjoyed satisfying himself.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on March 14, 2024, 07:33:46 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
It's a case of faux outrage#
Just like me being accused of phobias when I was clearly saying a certain poster was a man that enjoyed satisfying himself.

on one of your other posts you mentioned 12" "things"  I just hope reference to that and your above "satisfying " post size-wise are mutually exclusive

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on March 14, 2024, 08:00:40 pm by ravenrover »

That's a pity SS.
A TEFL or TESOL qualification is an opportunity to work nearly anywhere in the world,this some of the more interesting countries won't give visas to over 40s.
That won't worry SS, he's not far off getting his birthday card from the King, so getting a visa isn't on his bucket list

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on March 14, 2024, 08:30:14 pm by scawsby steve »

That's a pity SS.
That won't worry SS, he's not far off getting his birthday card from the King, so getting a visa isn't on his bucket list

Cheeky bugger. That's it, Raven, you're definitely not in the team on Sunday.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on March 14, 2024, 08:42:55 pm by danumdon »

It is not in any way whatsoever offensive. There is a reason why how their language spoken by them sounds different to their language spoken with an English lilt, exactly as NNK reflected on. Italian DOES have a vowel at the end of pretty much every word, and that gives the spoken language a certain rhythm. It's precisely why an Italian who is not very experienced at speaking English tends to add a vowel-a sound-a at the end of every word. Because it is unnatural for them to end words with a hard consonant. There's nothing offensive about noting that. It is a fact.

Equally, it is difficult for us native English speakers to get used to a language that doesn't have words ending in hard consonants. There's a tendency for us to put the emphasis in the wrong place. In particular, they almost never put the emphasis on the final vowel, and when we do, that sounds just like a foreigner speaking Italian badly. When I started consciously trying to mimic the way Italians pronounce the final vowel, everything else suddenly became easy. Like I automatically knew where the emphasis should go.

BST, the infant/junior school i went to was adjacent to the local C of E school across the road, consequently i had to walk to school most days and have to fight every other day the local C of E kids because they were mimicking and harassing me with those definitions using the same words, now that was to me and kids like me deeply offensive regardless what you think. Language appropriation like that in this day and age seems to be taken very seriously and its understandable when people are offended.

I am aware you were using this in a different context but nevertheless it still makes me think of the crap that you had to put up with because your background happens to be slightly different to the majority.

I thought you may have understood this a bit better than others because of your Mrs background and also your own, but maybe not eh.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #202 on March 14, 2024, 08:54:18 pm by ravenrover »

That's a pity SS.

Cheeky bugger. That's it, Raven, you're definitely not in the team on Sunday.
Reminds me of Charlie Wagstaffe saying that.... you'll never play for this team again!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on March 14, 2024, 09:01:43 pm by SydneyRover »

BST, the infant/junior school i went to was adjacent to the local C of E school across the road, consequently i had to walk to school most days and have to fight every other day the local C of E kids because they were mimicking and harassing me with those definitions using the same words, now that was to me and kids like me deeply offensive regardless what you think. Language appropriation like that in this day and age seems to be taken very seriously and its understandable when people are offended.

I am aware you were using this in a different context but nevertheless it still makes me think of the crap that you had to put up with because your background happens to be slightly different to the majority.

I thought you may have understood this a bit better than others because of your Mrs background and also your own, but maybe not eh.

If you read wilts principles that kids are taught from age of 2 about respect etc and all of our parents had been taught the same then there would be more respect about where people live and how they manage their lives. And of course one would learn that not all parents had parents that were well educated and able to invest this in their kids, either to enable them to strike out and get better jobs and improve lives and so on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on March 14, 2024, 09:07:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

1) I wasn't doing it to harass anyone.

2) I absolutely wasn't speaking English in that way.

3) I did it for the single reason that it helped improve my Italian.

I'm genuinely sorry that you were given grief by d**khead kids, presumably with d**khead parents. But that has zero bearing on what I was talking about.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on March 14, 2024, 09:29:24 pm by wilts rover »

[/quote
I speak German with a  Niedersasche accent, so pass for a German when in Deutcheland

I worked in Bavaria most of the time I was in Germany so the bit of German I picked up was with a Bavarian accent. When I went up to visit friends in the north they all burst out laughing as there it's judged the equivalent of a West Country yokel.

Similar when I learnt Dutch from living in Amsterdam and had a Amsterdam. Apparently that's like being a cockney.

Weird how this thread has taken a turn from this mind.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on March 15, 2024, 11:41:22 am by Sprotyrover »

[/quote

I worked in Bavaria most of the time I was in Germany so the bit of German I picked up was with a Bavarian accent. When I went up to visit friends in the north they all burst out laughing as there it's judged the equivalent of a West Country yokel.

Similar when I learnt Dutch from living in Amsterdam and had a Amsterdam. Apparently that's like being a cockney.

Weird how this thread has taken a turn from this mind.
Yes when I visited the Harz Mountains they thought I was a Toff and even referred to it as.’the Queens German.
Back in the 70’s we could get East German Telly and their tv presenters had a very different accent to my local area accent!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on March 17, 2024, 08:23:19 am by SydneyRover »
And there is similar merde in France .............

''Aya Nakamura, the pop superstar at the centre of a Paris Olympic racism storm
Outrage from the far right over rumours of a performance at the opening ceremony has exposed deep divisions in France .....

....... ''Rachida Dati, the culture minister, warned against “pure racism”, and Lilian Thuram the former French footballer said: “When people say Aya Nakamura can’t represent France, what criteria do they base it on? I know the criteria, because when I was a footballer, some also said this isn’t the French team because there are too many Blacks.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/16/aya-nakamura-the-pop-superstar-at-the-centre-of-a-paris-olympic-racism-storm

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on March 26, 2024, 11:42:53 am by ncRover »
Has anyone seen the Conservative’s video on London? You’d think it was turning in to Mordor going by this.

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1772321715713982730?s=46

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on March 26, 2024, 12:46:22 pm by Sprotyrover »
What is disconcerting is the response from the Guardian which  is below, The Tories slashed£3.4 Billion from National Policing budgets and the Guardian article shows most of the country has higher crime rates than London..Shame shame shame!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/26/fact-check-has-sadiq-khan-really-overseen-a-surge-in-london

TinyPortal © 2005-2012