Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:05:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: London  (Read 4537 times)

selby

• VSC Member
London
« on March 09, 2024, 11:51:50 am by selby »
 Apparently the entertainment and night time economy is bombing, not surprising with the transport costs the Labour regime in power have imposed on the place and it not being seen as safe as many would like with knife crime and muggins an epidemic.
  Plus it isn't really an English city anymore is it? and you go on holiday for a change of entertainment and its cheaper.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: London
« Reply #1 on March 09, 2024, 12:03:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Keep pulling on the brandy until the memory of the cricket fades

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 09, 2024, 12:07:34 pm by Sprotyrover »
Keep pulling on the brandy until the memory of the cricket fades
If you can only post an insult, don’t post at all!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 09, 2024, 12:08:55 pm by SydneyRover »
priceless sproty

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 09, 2024, 01:36:44 pm by River Don »
Generally London public transport is cheaper and more convenient than the rest of the country, generally if you're going for a night out in London, your likely to be on the tube.

I think it's just the cost of going out, the cost of buying meals and drinks is so high. Probably higher than most places in the UK And people generally are under pressure, particularly young people in London who have to find fortunes just to pay the rent.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 09, 2024, 01:42:06 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Apparently the entertainment and night time economy is bombing, not surprising with the transport costs the Labour regime in power have imposed on the place and it not being seen as safe as many would like with knife crime and muggins an epidemic.
  Plus it isn't really an English city anymore is it? and you go on holiday for a change of entertainment and its cheaper.

Not sure where you’ve got your info from Selby, but as a long time resident of our fair capital I can assure you that public transport down here is light years ahead of the rest of the country. It’s fairly cheap, very convenient and pretty safe.

As River Don points out, a night out down here (in the centre of London anyway) isn’t cheap at all. £7 a pint isn’t unusual. Young ‘uns these days simply can’t afford it very often. Saying that, you’ll struggle to find an empty boozer in the west end on an evening.

About it not being an English city anymore, what makes you say that?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:45:42 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 09, 2024, 01:57:32 pm by Iberian Red »

Not sure where you’ve got your info from Selby, but as a long time resident of our fair capital I can assure you that public transport down here is light years ahead of the rest of the country. It’s fairly cheap, very convenient and pretty safe.

As River Don points out, a night out down here (in the centre of London anyway) isn’t cheap at all. £7 a pint isn’t unusual. Young ‘uns these days simply can’t afford it very often. Saying that, you’ll struggle to find an empty boozer in the west end on an evening.

Ignorance.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 09, 2024, 02:21:20 pm by ravenrover »
Stereotyping

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 09, 2024, 02:27:00 pm by knockers »
Regarding it not being safe you might want to
Listen to the report that was on 5 Live the other week on Croydon.
They’re really turning it round with community work so much so that there has been zero knife crime in two years and this was the knife crime capital of Britain a few years ago.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 09, 2024, 02:45:50 pm by River Don »
Apparently 1,100 clubs and bars have closed in London over the last 3 years. That tells its own story. Pubs and clubs might well still be full, there are just far fewer of them. The centre, Soho and south bank are probably all still doing well, with the tourist trade as much as anything.

When I was still living in Shepherds Bush I can think of 4 pubs in that area that closed. That was a while back now, but let's face it pubs have steadily been closing everywhere for quite a long period now.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 09, 2024, 05:06:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Apparently 1,100 clubs and bars have closed in London over the last 3 years. That tells its own story. Pubs and clubs might well still be full, there are just far fewer of them. The centre, Soho and south bank are probably all still doing well, with the tourist trade as much as anything.

When I was still living in Shepherds Bush I can think of 4 pubs in that area that closed. That was a while back now, but let's face it pubs have steadily been closing everywhere for quite a long period now.

Pubs have been shutting down all over the country, not just London.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 09, 2024, 05:48:47 pm by River Don »

Pubs have been shutting down all over the country, not just London.

To be clear Glyn, when I put pubs have been closing everywhere, I did mean everywhere in the country not just bloody London.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 09, 2024, 06:02:26 pm by wilts rover »

London not an English city anymore? What does he mean...

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 09, 2024, 06:18:20 pm by TonySoprano »

It's quite obvious, and you know exactly what he means

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 09, 2024, 07:28:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If you're going to be racist, at least have the strength of character to come out and embrace it explicitly.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 09, 2024, 07:41:28 pm by wilts rover »

I know that racists say London, with a population 46% non-white background, isn't 'British'. Are you saying that Selby is a racist?

And that non-white people, even if they were born in England and had maybe 2-3 generations of family who have lived here, can't be English?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 09, 2024, 09:09:50 pm by scawsby steve »

Were QPR your second team, RD, when you were living in Shepherds Bush?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 09, 2024, 09:46:28 pm by selby »
I am not a racist Wilts, its the modern way of closing realists down.
  It's Billy's go to get out and others. They prefer to sleep walk and shout.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 09:49:18 pm by selby »

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 09, 2024, 10:10:22 pm by Iberian Red »
When people begin a sentence with,
"I'm not racist..."
it's so predictable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 09, 2024, 10:14:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm not racist...but London is no longer an English city.

I'm not racist but I just like saying things that racists say.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 09, 2024, 10:23:08 pm by River Don »

Were QPR your second team, RD, when you were living in Shepherds Bush?

Nah, though I lived literally just two streets from the ground.

I didn't vandalise the Blue Peter Italian sunken garden either, which was also just a stones throw away.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 09, 2024, 10:27:09 pm by selby »
  You would know all about that Iberian

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 09, 2024, 10:28:00 pm by Pancho Regan »

Ignorance.

Ignorance.

Bigotry.

Racism.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 09, 2024, 10:42:02 pm by Iberian Red »

Ignorance.

Ignorance.

Bigotry.

Racism.

They do tend to go hand in hand don't they Pancho.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 10, 2024, 12:08:50 am by Pancho Regan »

Ignorance.

Ignorance.

Bigotry.

Racism.

They do tend to go hand in hand don't they Pancho.

They do indeed IR.

Selby, or one of his mates, might be along soon to tell us he was just casting his bait in order to catch one of us stupid, unsuspecting, ‘woke’ lefties.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 10, 2024, 04:33:13 am by Colemans Left Hook »
anyone remember this

2011 Census: 45% of Londoners white British

which makes you wonder what the 2021 (?) percentage was

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20680565

and this

AS usual make your own decision  - Mrs Coleman said "How does he manage when he is walking down the street ?" 

"BBC Radio 5 Live presenter Nihal Arthanayake has said an “overwhelmingly white” working environment is affecting his mental health."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/other/bbc-presenter-says-overwhelmingly-white-workplace-affects-his-mental-health/ar-AA1kIVmj?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ACTS&cvid=5b5d001c673a4dc8acd7383b77c4fb72&ei=21

BBC Radio 5 Live presenter Nihal Arthanayake has said an “overwhelmingly white” working environment is affecting his mental health.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presenter told a journalism diversity conference on Wednesday: “It’s really affecting me that I walk in and all I see is white people.”

His colleagues’ response when he told them this was to reply defensively that they were not being racist, he claimed as he said that was missing the point.

Speaking at the Journalism Diversity Fund (JDF) conference at BBC Media City in Salford, he said: “I’ve seen a lot of people leave this building because they couldn’t deal with the culture.”

He also said others found they had to try to be a certain type of person to progress with the broadcaster, adding: “If you want journalists to progress, they have to be who they are.”
“I don’t think there’s a single Muslim involved in the senior editorial processes” at BBC Radio 5 Live, he added.

He went on: “The hardest thing is to walk into a room, look around and nobody looks like you.”

The presenter made the comments in an on-stage interview with Jo Adetunji, editor of The Conversation, at the JDF’s annual equality, diversity and inclusion conference organised by the NCTJ, which trains new journalists.

The JDF awards bursaries to aspiring journalists from diverse backgrounds who do not have the financial means to support themselves through their training.

here's the punchline
.....  Mr Arthanayake added that he has noticed a difference since moving north after living in London for 20 years.

He said: “Since moving up here, being called the P-word – that didn’t happen in London. You’d get a slap for that in London, not even from me.”

Following the interview, Cheryl Varley, a BBC Radio 5 Live producer, said the organisation is committed to tackling the lack of diversity in its newsrooms.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 05:04:17 am by Colemans Left Hook »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 10, 2024, 08:00:17 am by normal rules »
My lad lives in Balham. The weekend there starts on a Thursday. The pubs, clubs and restaurants are always heaving. Clapham too. And Brixton. And Wandsworth. Where most of his mates live.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 10, 2024, 08:32:07 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I’m genuinely interested to know why anyone would claim that London isn’t an English city anymore? What is behind this, specifically? Is it non-white people living here, the number of different languages spoken, maybe different religions? Or could it be the number of foreign cars on the roads, maybe it’s too many Chinese takeaways, or possibly that many folk who do the most ‘menial’ jobs are of foreign descent?

I’m not going to accuse anyone of being racist but I’d like to know, specifically, what it is about London that makes it ‘no longer English’?

Oh, and for the record, I’m sure that every single person of colour that I know and living in London classes themselves as English. They get up and go to work, they like to relax in front of the telly, some of them like a pint, most go to the football (West Ham & Spurs mostly), they want England to win at the cricket (There you go Norman Tebbitt), and they joined in the street parties for the Queens birthday. A couple of them even served in the armed forces too. They just happen to have skin that’s tinted a bit differently to mine.

So, if I need to tell them that their city isn’t English anymore then I’d appreciate a bit of rationale if possible?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 10, 2024, 08:54:43 am by SydneyRover »
I’m genuinely interested to know why anyone would claim that London isn’t an English city anymore? What is behind this, specifically? Is it non-white people living here, the number of different languages spoken, maybe different religions? Or could it be the number of foreign cars on the roads, maybe it’s too many Chinese takeaways, or possibly that many folk who do the most ‘menial’ jobs are of foreign descent?

I’m not going to accuse anyone of being racist but I’d like to know, specifically, what it is about London that makes it ‘no longer English’?

Oh, and for the record, I’m sure that every single person of colour that I know and living in London classes themselves as English. They get up and go to work, they like to relax in front of the telly, some of them like a pint, most go to the football (West Ham & Spurs mostly), they want England to win at the cricket (There you go Norman Tebbitt), and they joined in the street parties for the Queens birthday. A couple of them even served in the armed forces too. They just happen to have skin that’s tinted a bit differently to mine.

So, if I need to tell them that their city isn’t English anymore then I’d appreciate a bit of rationale if possible?

You won't get any HA, there's something gnawing away at selby, the last time he 'went there' Israel/Palestine was being discussed also.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 10, 2024, 08:57:07 am by wilts rover »
I am not a racist Wilts, its the modern way of closing realists down.
  It's Billy's go to get out and others. They prefer to sleep walk and shout.

I think you are confusing me with Tony Soprano, Selby. It was he who wrote that it was 'obvious' what your post meant.

I lived in London for 4 years in the late 80's-early 90's (Wembley, Islington, Caterham) & Bethnal Green late 90's. Also lived in Amsterdam, Nuremberg, near Tel Aviv and met a lot of people in those places who weren't born in those places.

In answer to Coleman's question above - I gave the answer in an earlier post. The data is here:
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/national-and-regional-populations/regional-ethnic-diversity/latest/

And adding to Herbert's above - there has always been a decent % of soldiers in the British Army who were 'non-white' - it's currently around 11%. Are they not 'British?
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/diversity-on-the-rise-in-uk-armed-forces-say-figures/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012