Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:01:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier League Failure  (Read 1406 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Premier League Failure
« on March 12, 2024, 10:00:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68537402

Is this likely to be the nail in the coffin for Premier League clubs to govern themselves and dictate the rules?

The Parliamentary select committee had little confidence in McMaster to deliver on the promise of a better, more equitable, funding deal and surely now a regulator must be established?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Premier League Failure
« Reply #1 on March 12, 2024, 12:29:35 pm by silent majority »
The regulator role has already been advertised and appointed. We’re just waiting for parliament to do its bit.

The main topic though will be what power the IR will have when established. The financial argument is very strong and I was led to believe that a deal was very close to being agreed and set last week but yet again there’s disagreement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/martyn-henderson-obe-appointed-interim-coo-for-independent-regulator-for-mens-elite-football#:~:text=Henderson%20is%20the%20first%20appointment,be%20announced%20in%20due%20course.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 02:40:03 pm by silent majority »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 19, 2024, 10:28:21 am by idler »
I hope that the regulator will have the power to cut through the Premier League’s almost certain delaying tactics.
I’m sure that they will try to starve EFL clubs into desperately accepting an unfair deal due to financial difficulties.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 19, 2024, 11:15:04 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The football pyramid and League structure is one entity and it's what underpins our great game. Treating the Premier League as a separate Elite league with different rules is a nonsense. The reason the Premier League have been able to generate huge incomes is based on a product that is the sum of it's parts, built on a history of over 100 years of community clubs competing to be the best they can.

Without the league pyramid the Premier League is nothing.

All TV revenues generated from the game's popularity has to be pooled and competed for on a fair and equitable basis. We have to get away from this false notion that the PL is feeding the rest of the EFL and beyond. Without grass roots, there can't be an elite.

Once we can get back to the concept of linking spending to what clubs can earn through competition on the pitch, plus their own match revenues from ticket sales etc, then there should be more transparency and then be easier to regulate. Sponsorships and 'finance' should not be allowed to contribute to playing budgets but be limited to off the field infrastructure improvements and community schemes. There's so many loopholes that have been abused, that need to be closed off. Spurious sponsorships, stadium and training ground sales, income being used as collateral to generate more finance to enable spending beyond clubs means.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 19, 2024, 09:05:23 pm by ncRover »
Is it just me who is finding the premier league becoming increasingly dull?

TalkSPORT and Match of the Day was an endless debate on refereeing decisions before and now it’s on steroids after the introduction of VAR. I don’t care! Talk about the football.

Yes there is more passing football and elaborate tactics but I find the showing is becoming more drab and soulless.

There aren’t the same endearing characters on the pitch or in the dug out. I used to love watching screamers of the highest order on the goal of the month compilation but there doesn’t seem to be many goals like that either.

Or is my opinion clouded by nostalgia?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 19, 2024, 09:06:55 pm by drfchound »

TalkSPORT and Match of the Day was an endless debate on refereeing decisions before and now it’s on steroids after the introduction of VAR. I don’t care! Talk about the football.

Yes there is more passing football and elaborate tactics but I find the showing is becoming more drab and soulless.

There aren’t the same endearing characters on the pitch or in the dug out. I used to love watching screamers of the highest order on the goal of the month compilation but there doesn’t seem to be many goals like that either.

There are at least two of us with the same opinion nc.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 19, 2024, 10:53:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I've just seen this quote from David Sullivan in a BBC article. Really makes my blood boil.

"West Ham owner David Sullivan told Sky Sports: "The Premier League is the best league in the world so why change a winning formula?

"I hope the government don't wreck something that works. If over the coming seasons the Premier League ceases to be the best league in the world, it will be down to an interfering government."

He added: "Between the 20 clubs there is almost £2bn of debt, so there isn't really 'available cash' to give away."

His last paragraph sums up exactly why independent governance is required!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2024, 05:25:50 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Lifted from an article.

Many of us are quick to pour scorn on foreign ownership of our football clubs and even though this viewpoint is credible in many cases there are just as many unscrupulous owners who are not from abroad, this open letter published yesterday from the Hull City owner, Turkish businessman Acun Ilicali is very refreshing to hear.

OPEN LETTER TO FOOTBALL FANS FROM ACUN ILICALI.

To football fans everywhere,

As the proud Chairman of Hull City, it may seem strange that I am addressing this letter to fans of all clubs, but it is my strong belief that, at what could prove to be a watershed moment for our game, strength comes in unity.

Since arriving in the English game just over two years ago I have witnessed that unity and felt a real appetite for change amongst, not only the majority of clubs but also politicians and fans alike. So, it is with real disappointment and sadness that we have been forced to address the lack of progress in the Premier League’s discussions with the EFL over a new funding offer.

We were fortunate enough to take on a football club that was very prudently run in financial terms, but increasingly, particularly in the Championship, it is almost impossible to consistently balance the books and remain competitive on the pitch. With that in mind, we fully support the vision for revised financial redistribution combined with enhanced cost controls.

Our approach over the last two years has been a dual focus on investment into our squad and delivering an affordable product for our fans. We have seen this bear fruit in terms of our current league position and an increase in average attendance of nearly 100%. This, however, is not a sustainable model under current financial parameters and without change, will see the necessity for us to sell players and potentially increase prices for our fans.

Although I am now in a privileged position to own a football club, before all else I am a football fan and I fell in love with the English game many years ago. The competitiveness and subsequent drama in our game is unlike any other and it is of paramount importance that we protect that. I firmly believe that the Premier League has an obligation to be the leader in protecting that competitiveness and I would urge it to deliver on its commitment to deliver a new funding offer.

Of course, I understand the need for clubs to protect their best interests, but the strength of any pyramid is in its foundations. You only have to look at the recently announced England squad to understand the importance of the EFL to the very pinnacle of our sport. This is why we are also in full support of the proposed introduction of an independent regulator with sufficient autonomy and powers to make decisions for the benefit and long-term sustainability of the footballing pyramid.

At Hull City we have a motto of ‘One Family, One Dream’, right now I think the whole of the English game should have a shared dream – a fair and equitable sport for all, that preserves the competitiveness and excitement it has always had.

Yours in football,

Acun Ilicali

Football fan and Chairman of Hull City.

#HCAFC #HullCity

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2024, 09:22:27 am by Campsall rover »
It is in the long term interest of the PL to look after the pyramid below.

If this does not happen then game as we know it will not thrive, the incentive of reaching the PL is paramount. It is also vital that all EFL clubs have the opportunity to become sustainable as a Championship Club. At present it simply is not a level playing field with the parachute payments on offer to relegated PL Clubs.
The financial disparity for a promoted League 1 club compared to a relegated PL club is massive.
There has to be change in the way the pyramid is run. I am hopeful at last something might be done to address the current situation if the EFL shout loud enough for long enough with the help of an independent regulator.

The greed of the PL will eventually destroy the game unless they come to their senses and look long term at the big picture.
What goes round comes round.  The ball literally is in their court.
Action now. Yes now.
We have waited far too long.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2024, 10:42:25 am by pib »

I agree. It's undoubtedly as elite and high quality as it's ever been, but I think it's sterile and not personally what I look for in my fandom of football.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012