Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:25:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistic signings  (Read 1684 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Realistic signings
« on April 12, 2024, 07:49:34 am by ncRover »
I thought I'd have a look at some players that we could end up signing. It's based on us staying in League Two as I've been adding to it over the last couple of weeks. Just a bit of fun to see if we get any. All are out of contract or loan options.

I'll start with Hakeeb Adelakun. I don’t need to justify this one. There’s a few clubs below Lincoln in the League One hierarchy who play a system that suits Haks that might want to take a punt on him: Rotherham, Wycombe, Leyton Orient. Hopefully no one bemoans the board for “lack of ambition” if we don’t pull it off.

Potential right-footed left wing alternatives with an eye for goal include Kieran Sadlier He turns 30 in September, so might drop a level and take a wage cut to reunite with McCann. Or perhaps Exeter might look to loan out ex-Halifax player Millenic Alli - who got a goal around 1 in 3 in the National League.  24 years old and Exter are easing him in so they may look for him to prove himself between the two levels. There is a link to Jack Senior and favourable geography for him.

Moving on to the centre forward position. The obvious option here is Maxime Biamou. He offers enough of an alternative to Ironside in being a bit more refined and quicker. He’s not as good a finisher as Joe but we’ve seen these two rotate really nicely without having to change how we play. Failing that, a choice in the striker position could be Amadou Bakayoko. Another ex-Coventry player and former team mate of Zain Westbrooke. This guy is big and quick. He is left footed and in the past has also played on the right wing. Could provide cover for two positions. 28 years old doing ok up in Dundee.

On goalkeepers I have no idea. I can’t find any who I know enough about. TLT isn’t happening. 1 year left on his contract, 21 years old and no weaknesses to his game. Unless we go up forget it. Same with Craig.

In midfield McCann will look to fill the spaces vacated by the potentially outgoing Harrison Biggins and Tommy Rowe. Charlie Lakin looked a better player than Biggins last year. He is quick and tireless. McCann looks for such qualities in the most advanced of his three midfielders. Six goals and four assists since signing for Sutton on loan in January. Seems obvious to me.

Accrington’s Tommy Leigh could be similar option. 23 year old attacking midfielder and perhaps soon out of contract. I’m sure we’d be able to offer more than Stanley. We are now an attractive proposition for league two’s most wanted. Combative and has an eye for goal. Another who can play in 2 positions as he’s currently filling in as a striker.

Another player I think it’s likely we go for is the highly rated 18 year-old Fabio Jalo. This would be a loan signing from Barnsley. He can play on the right wing cutting in on his left foot as well as apparently being able to play centrally in an attacking role. Potential cover for two positions. Molyneux can’t play every minute in every competition.

Jamie Sterry will also need some back up, Tom Nixon would be more than capable back-up and rotation for cup games if he’d be happy with that. We all like him.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 07:01:17 am by ncRover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: Realistic signings
« Reply #1 on April 12, 2024, 10:33:19 am by Draytonian III »
Charlie Lakin seems to spend a lot of time injured, I’m not saying he’s a bad player but his injuries concern me

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 12, 2024, 11:31:39 am by mushRTID »
Charlie Lakin was no better than we had last year.

Its only because he's in a crap team he is standing out every now and again.

If he was in a top 10 squad he would be on the bench and nobody would be talking about him.

Not what we need to move forward, all in my opinion of course.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 12, 2024, 11:44:56 am by Thorney »
Think charlie lakin would be a backward step. Did ok with us but wouldnt improve our current team. Dont think he would get any game time with us right now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 12, 2024, 04:18:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Lakin seems to have shown up well at Sutton and he's that busy type of midfielder we missed until Craig more than filled that void. Lakin nipped in with a few goals too.

I wouldn't say no.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 12, 2024, 04:22:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
I doubt we will be signing Nixon now that Sterry is so firmly entrenched. Nixon is a good player but would be relatively expensive and I don’t think he would want to sign and not only not start but perhaps often not make the squad as at present.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 12, 2024, 04:24:56 pm by Spilsby Red »
Irrelevant of what division we are in next season, I think we can get Craig again on loan. THFC must be happy with how he has played and just maybe they will be happy to loan him to us again, esp if Craig is happy here and he is playing lots of games. Parent clubs always want there players to play lots of minutes on loan.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 12, 2024, 04:55:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Craig is 21 next week and this is his first loan. Surprised for someone hitting 21 he hasn't done more. Unless Spurs are planning on moving him out, he needs to accelerate quickly. Another season at League Two when he is 21 perhaps not what they might think he needs to progress.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 12, 2024, 04:59:23 pm by ncRover »
Lakin seems to have shown up well at Sutton and he's that busy type of midfielder we missed until Craig more than filled that void. Lakin nipped in with a few goals too.

I wouldn't say no.

That’s it, I wouldn’t have put him on if he was doing average at Sutton. On match ratings he’s in the top 10 midfielders in the league.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 12, 2024, 05:14:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Craig is 21 next week and this is his first loan. Surprised for someone hitting 21 he hasn't done more. Unless Spurs are planning on moving him out, he needs to accelerate quickly. Another season at League Two when he is 21 perhaps not what they might think he needs to progress.

Exactly this. They need to move him up the food chain or be challenging for the first team squad. There's only small windows of opportunities for young players to make their first teams. When you consider the young players from Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool who have either made it, or been traded on., it's the 21 to 23 age range that are critical for these lads. There's no standing still, it's either up or out.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 12, 2024, 08:07:25 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't see why TLT can't be signed again on loan. If we don't go up, surely we'll be one of the promotion favourites next season.

As regards Nixon, if we don't sign him next season, we'll still need another RB to compete with Sterry.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 13, 2024, 12:58:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Put yourself in TLTs shoes. If you believe in u ourself and you've proven yourself at L2 level, what is your next step? It it was me, I wouldn't be going back to where I've just proved myself, I'd want to play higher.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 13, 2024, 08:14:48 am by drfchound »
Me too but there is also the possibility of having a promotion on the CV, and maybe even a Champions medal, if he stayed here next season.
That could be in his mind.

idler2

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 13, 2024, 09:20:35 am by idler2 »
Me too but there is also the possibility of having a promotion on the CV, and maybe even a Champions medal, if he stayed here next season.
That could be in his mind.
Location could also play a part hound. He probably commutes from Hull with us whereas uprooting to move a fair distance might not be fancied.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 13, 2024, 09:35:18 am by Silkscarf »
I don't see why TLT can't be signed again on loan. If we don't go up, surely we'll be one of the promotion favourites next season.

As regards Nixon, if we don't sign him next season, we'll still need another RB to compete with Sterry.

If we don’t get Tim again then we need another goalie of that standard. Presumably that means one of Jones or Lawlor goes. Sharing the backup goalie spot (as now) is probably no good for either of them.

If fit then Sterry plays every week. Perhaps Flint is the 2nd RB? Senior and Olowu could also fill in. Flint is already contracted so saves money for elsewhere in the squad. Though I’d be very happy to sign Nixon too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 11:08:36 am by Silkscarf »

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 13, 2024, 09:37:18 am by Bollinger »
There’s long-standing frustration with Hull City fans over Rosenior’s loyalty towards their first choice keeper who has by all accounts been error prone and cost them again during the week. Maybe TLT isn’t destined to stay long term third choice at City? McCann has obviously accepted that Jones and Lawlor aren’t the solution so I imagine a first choice keeper is a priority close-season but TLT doesn’t seem likely though I’d like to be wrong. City paid Spurs compensation to sign him and by all accounts there was competition here and on the continent for him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012