Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:22:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Wednesday Fan in Peace!  (Read 3638 times)

LakesideOwl

A Wednesday Fan in Peace!
« on April 15, 2024, 05:48:57 pm by LakesideOwl »
Evening, all.

A Wednesday fan in peace who lives around the corner from the corner at Lakeside. Sheffield lad but moved to Donny in 2019.

Just want to say a massive well done on the right game win streak. Job is not done yet but I will be cheering on the Rovers and hopefully you get into the playoffs and secure promotion.

As a Wednesday fan, I am disenchanted with the terrible owner/chairman (won't go into it as it's a Rovers forum!) but safe to say I won't be putting a penny into his pocket.

I was at the Rovers game on Saturday with the old man (also an Owl) and we both loved it. Fantastic atmosphere all game and as comprehensive a victory as you will get. Playing proper football and it was evident how confident the team is during this run (and why wouldn't they be?). That Adelakun looks some player. Chances of holding onto him permanently?

I will be there again on Saturday, pie and a pint in hand supporting the Rovers. Though I've not been raised a Doncaster fan, I want them to do well and was genuinely delighted with the win on Saturday. I've met some great Rovers fans and always found you to be proper football fans supporting a proper club.

Here's to another three points on Saturday!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: A Wednesday Fan in Peace!
« Reply #1 on April 15, 2024, 07:33:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
Welcome and thanks for the support. If you go to too many, you may get bit by the bug.

We certainly know what it feels like to have a poor owner - that’s one thing all Rovers fans old enough can identify with.

Enjoy.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 15, 2024, 07:44:25 pm by streathamdave »
Plenty of ups and downs following Rovers. Happy you enjoyed the game.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 15, 2024, 07:53:03 pm by RoversInSpain »
Really good to get feedback from other local supporters. A real credit to Rovers getting praise from a Wednesday fan.
Cheers Lakeside, thank you for coming to watch and your support.
Hope you enjoy your next visit.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 15, 2024, 08:52:26 pm by donny dave »
Thanks mate, It's great to hear you enjoyed the game, Maybe you are a lucky charm.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 15, 2024, 09:00:49 pm by Nudga »
This is honestly the first time in 37 years that I have heard a Wednesday fan say this.
The only reason I hate Wednesday is because of the arrogance of their fans.
I worked in Sheffield and found Wednesday fans total tossers who knew nothing about the lower leagues but the blades fans were always interested in how we got on and seemed more knowledgeable about the wider game.

I hope you have a great time on Saturday and change the colour of your shirt going forward.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 15, 2024, 09:48:57 pm by Sprotyrover »
I had a pal who was a Wednesday fan but he must have come to at least 12 Rovers games a season and we even travelled away with him three or four times, best of luck with Chanciry a real knob!

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 15, 2024, 09:52:32 pm by nice one rovers »
This is honestly the first time in 37 years that I have heard a Wednesday fan say this.
The only reason I hate Wednesday is because of the arrogance of their fans.
I worked in Sheffield and found Wednesday fans total tossers who knew nothing about the lower leagues but the blades fans were always interested in how we got on and seemed more knowledgeable about the wider game.

I hope you have a great time on Saturday and change the colour of your shirt going forward.

There’s good and bad fans at every club.
Arrogant ones, respectful ones, stupid ones, clever ones, embarrassing ones, and ones you can be proud of.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 16, 2024, 07:35:11 am by normal rules »
Often overlooked this.
When my dad was much younger he used to go all over South Yorkshire watching footy wherever there was a game. Especially if rovers were away from home. He talks about it now and says it was very common for fans of other teams to go around the county watching other teams play.
I’d imagine there might be quite a few “locals” turn up this Saturday given what is at stake. These two lads will not be the only ones. And good on em for sharing this .
And my dad, bless him, now late 70’s will only be at one place this sat.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:07:20 am by normal rules »

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 16, 2024, 08:01:56 am by Hounslowrover »
Agreed Normal Rules, used to go to Rotherham or the Sheffields when Rovers were away when I was a lad.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 16, 2024, 08:08:39 am by graingrover »
Lakeside ..youmay also benefit from some of the other many activities at Club Doncaster .It really is a community club to be proud of and I regret living too far away to get fully immersed these days .
https://clubdoncasterfoundation.co.uk/health-and-wellbeing
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:39:46 am by graingrover »

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 16, 2024, 08:45:08 am by turnbull for england »
There's a couple of die hard Wednesday fans at fit Rovers , non more so than Big Al on the committee - I'd recommend to anyone

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 16, 2024, 11:22:24 am by IDM »
Agreed Normal Rules, used to go to Rotherham or the Sheffields when Rovers were away when I was a lad.

I used to do that too.  Drop my (long ago ex) wife and mum at Meadowhall and me and my dad would go to a game somewhere..  not too often but took in Wednesday, Barnsley, Rotherham at least.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 16, 2024, 11:23:43 am by IDM »
Also I have been to loads of matches as a neutral - completely different experience not being strongly attached to one of the teams, but I just like going to the game..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 16, 2024, 12:08:28 pm by drfchound »
It is a totally different experience when you don’t care who wins isn’t it IDM.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 16, 2024, 12:39:51 pm by auckleyflyer »
It's exactly how I started, whole family wednesday fans said in 98/99 season that the club was corrupt and wouldn't put another penny into it. Started watching my local none league team! And never looked back. Was the only one tho, the rest are still owls. Iv only ever gone back there in the away end!!
Still feels like a dirty secret, like that one time I used to drink larger?!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 16, 2024, 12:52:49 pm by pib »
Quite a few Wednesday fans on Football Heaven wished us well last night.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 16, 2024, 01:18:19 pm by TonySoprano »
I have afeeling they're donny based turncoats feeling guilty for deserting their club.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 16, 2024, 02:02:21 pm by dknward2 »
I have afeeling they're donny based turncoats feeling guilty for deserting their club.

Get them back in another fan spending their hard earned money in the the club means another voice cheering the lads on hopefully we get a wall of noise on Saturday

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 16, 2024, 04:21:13 pm by IDM »

You’re not wrong, but it makes for a better (and safer!) experience if the home side wins!

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 16, 2024, 07:04:54 pm by streathamdave »
Far more Leeds ones than any others. Not sure they feel guilty though.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 16, 2024, 07:23:34 pm by Lesonthewest »
I remember me & the brother in law way back being in 2 minds to go up to Hartlepool for the Rovers game, or go to Hillsbrough to take in a Wednesday game, we opted for the latter being more local.

Many older forum users will remember the guy who kept supporters updated on scores for selected games on the back of the programme by using a 'strictly' style scorecard to change the scores every time a goal went in, he was up & down quite a bit for the Rovers game, we won 6-0! Wednesday fans around pointing & saying look at Donny's score! Happy & pi--ed off at same time.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 16, 2024, 10:51:32 pm by turnbull for england »

Ahhh the day my moniker was created
I remember me & the brother in law way back being in 2 minds to go up to Hartlepool for the Rovers game, or go to Hillsbrough to take in a Wednesday game, we opted for the latter being more local.

Many older forum users will remember the guy who kept supporters updated on scores for selected games on the back of the programme by using a 'strictly' style scorecard to change the scores every time a goal went in, he was up & down quite a bit for the Rovers game, we won 6-0! Wednesday fans around pointing & saying look at Donny's score! Happy & pi--ed off at same time.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 16, 2024, 11:34:27 pm by RobTheRover »

You’re not wrong, but it makes for a better (and safer!) experience if the home side wins!

I'll vouch for that.  I went to Lazio v Juventus last month.

LakesideOwl

« Reply #24 on April 17, 2024, 01:18:13 am by LakesideOwl »
Really good to get feedback from other local supporters. A real credit to Rovers getting praise from a Wednesday fan.
Cheers Lakeside, thank you for coming to watch and your support.
Hope you enjoy your next visit.

Thanks, mate.

I hope you are all well.

Definitely looking forward to Saturday and chucking some more money into the club. Admittedly, I will have one eye on the Wednesday result but genuinely want Rovers to win and will be gutted if they fall short at the end of the season.

Certainly feel like a "second club" to me. Living pretty much next to the stadium I suppose helps, as I've had a good conversation or four with a good few Rovers fans and as said previously, always found to be a top bunch.

A season ticket may also be on the cards for next season (I've not told the missus!), as like many Wednesday fans, we're unwilling to pay ridiculous prices to fund Chansiri (was a ST holder for many years). So happy to part money and support my local club.

Owl in peace

« Reply #25 on April 17, 2024, 08:53:46 am by Owl in peace »
Another Wednesday fan here who will be in attendance Saturday.

Going with a Donny mate and looking forward to it

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 17, 2024, 11:01:55 am by ChrisBx »

Welcome! Season tickets are reasonably priced, you know..

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 17, 2024, 11:08:59 am by RoversInSpain »

Welcome football friend, enjoy and big thanks for your support

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 17, 2024, 11:43:28 am by Spud »

Ahhh the day my moniker was created

There weren't many days like that back then.

Owl in peace

« Reply #29 on April 17, 2024, 11:46:17 am by Owl in peace »

Welcome! Season tickets are reasonably priced, you know..

Thanks Chris! Still getting used to using the site so apologies if I’ve messed this up  :lol:

I can’t see myself getting ST’s at Wednesday for a long time yet so you never know mate.

I have a nearly 3 year old who I want to get into football and I’m not ruling it out with Donny

TinyPortal © 2005-2012