Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:06:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A special mention for the Ref  (Read 1258 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
A special mention for the Ref
« on April 21, 2024, 06:23:56 am by Donnywolf »
Step forward and take a bow Carl Brook - named as worst Referee of the Season eclipsing Ed the Duck who in comparison to you looks an "average" Ref at worst now

Obviously not sour grapes - we WON but for long periods it looked like you were determined to "thwart" that

I would award you minus 2 if that were possible JUST for the challenge on TL-T in second half but I will have to go with a big fat NIL
===================================================================

As for Barrow , I was disgusted at their antics throughout the game , which Brook seemed to condone and as we started our "comeback" I was WILLING  Rovers on . I put the potential 9 in a row aside , at the back of my mind and I just wanted US to beat them for the cynical way they played the game , the time wasting the diving down , falling down antics and all the other stuff they did and by god we did it
For all they did , most of which was ignored by Brook I was elated and hope we are able to win Play offs by beating them again at Wembley with a decent Ref
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 06:26:07 am by Donnywolf »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: A special mention for the Ref
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2024, 10:59:23 am by ravenrover »
Wolfie he wasn't the best but there was s lot of diving and play acting to contend with. Moly was going down at every opportunity 2nd half so it wasn't all one way ....... all of the time :-]

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2024, 11:04:12 am by Colin C No.3 »
How can there be just 4 minutes added on time first half? The wait for the smoke bomb thrown onto the pitch by Barrow supporters after their first goal took at least 3 minutes to fizzle out before Rovers were able to kick off again.

Their players couldn’t have celebrated the second goal any longer before it got dark! Then the slow, laborious, feet dragging trot back to their half was p**s taking to another level.

And the substitution when their player was almost taking one step forward & two back as he came off it was embarrassing BUT, not as embarrassing as the ref who decided to do ‘something about it’, ran (well, jogged)  towards the player who  by which time was two metres from the dug out & I thought ‘Yes, go on ref book him that’ll stop their time wasting tactics’, but no, the ref ( perhaps he’d run out of breath!) gently nudged the player in the small of the back,m turned & ran back to the middle of the pitch!

What was that all about!!

Then to add 7 minutes of added on time to the second half while Rovers had grasped victory from the jaws etc., I thought ‘This ref is giving them every opportunity to level the game’.

But the footballing gods smiled on us & all Barrows cheating time wasting antics came back to bite them when Joe scored our 4th goal deep into added on time.

Sometimes you actually do get what you deserve.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2024, 11:41:37 am by Campsall rover »
We actually played 11 mins extra in the 2nd half.
Clock had 101 on it when he finally ended the game.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2024, 11:49:11 am by Colin C No.3 »

Funnily enough I wasn’t looking at the clock!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2024, 12:46:19 pm by ravenrover »

But we didn't play all the 11 mins did we

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2024, 01:17:24 pm by selby »
  Much of what catches referees out is down to the assistant linesmen no longer taking part in anything else but throw ins and corners in most cases.
  At the game I thought the Ironside chance  early on and their first goal were both offside, and watching the replays still think so.
  In most games at least one keeper can be done for handling the ball outside the area when kicking long from the edge of the area down field.  they have the best view of holding or obstruction (there is a word no longer recognised and the offence given in the modern game) from corners, nearly every one where they could give a penalty.
  And even throw in's they hesitate to see which way the referee signals before raising their flag, and most do not keep up with play.  The standard is abysmal, the best seeming to be the female ones who try to impress and have largly been the best we have had over the last few years, probably because they are new to the league games and have not conformed yet.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2024, 02:18:39 pm by Campsall rover »

But we didn't play all the 11 mins did we
No we didn’t.
But that was the added time. 7 on the board and another 4

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2024, 04:53:15 pm by NigelJ »
You are the ref.

Question. You have indicated there will be minimum of 7 minutes of added time at the end of a game. During this seven minutes, a single substitution takes place. After just over eight minutes, a goal is scored, with subsequent 'celebrations' lasting just over 2 minutes. How long is then played upon play resuming?

a) a few seconds, as time is up.
b) around two minutes, as play had stopped for that long
c) as long as it takes for another goal.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2024, 05:14:56 pm by donnievic »
Everyone moans about the ref but he gets a differant view from most and at ground level,yes I thought he was poor but you can’t blame him for any offsides that’s called and when a player goes down holding his head he has to stop play whether 90% of people thinks he is time wasting or not,most never also bring up anything that usually goes in favour for us like Westbrook could of quite easily been cautioned in 1st few minutes for his challenge o molyneux late on with his push

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2024, 06:08:09 am by Donnywolf »
And at the risk of staying the obvious .... It's way overdue to introduce a fixed 30 minutes per half

Looked at Coventry fans going mad as Onana took ages off the clock yesterday . He took almost a minute for one because , just as he was going to put ball in play he walked forward and moved it 2 inches further forward

All the things we hate about time wasting would disappear instantly. One would be added time because there would NEVER be any , any more. So imagine now , every time you are winning it comes up 7. The leading team thinks way too much , the losing team thinks not enough , but gone forever.

Referees now run to players to judge whether they need treatment , trying to prevent time wasting before calling on Physio or more often not. With a fixed Clock if a player goes down he blows , the clock stops and the Physio runs on. If they take 5 minutes to get him up so be it. Once Ref is happy he restarts play and the Game clock restarts

I think there would still be downsides , as now the Corner flag wrestling would escalate , Keepers would still dive Sulli like to the turf after stopping a tame headed back pass , and they would still if not watched take as long as possible to kick or throw the ball out of the area when it is live

Feel free to add any more because I can't think of many more

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2024, 10:31:37 am by Colin C No.3 »
And at the risk of staying the obvious .... It's way overdue to introduce a fixed 30 minutes per half

Looked at Coventry fans going mad as Onana took ages off the clock yesterday . He took almost a minute for one because , just as he was going to put ball in play he walked forward and moved it 2 inches further forward

All the things we hate about time wasting would disappear instantly. One would be added time because there would NEVER be any , any more. So imagine now , every time you are winning it comes up 7. The leading team thinks way too much , the losing team thinks not enough , but gone forever.

Referees now run to players to judge whether they need treatment , trying to prevent time wasting before calling on Physio or more often not. With a fixed Clock if a player goes down he blows , the clock stops and the Physio runs on. If they take 5 minutes to get him up so be it. Once Ref is happy he restarts play and the Game clock restarts

I think there would still be downsides , as now the Corner flag wrestling would escalate , Keepers would still dive Sulli like to the turf after stopping a tame headed back pass , and they would still if not watched take as long as possible to kick or throw the ball out of the area when it is live

Feel free to add any more because I can't think of many more

Trotting off with feet no further apart than a boots length when substituted.

Stopping to tie laces, adjust socks, pads before making your way again at boot length trots to your side of the pitch after you have scored to put your team in front.

Keepers (when team in front) taking a drink of water, kicking mud off the bottom of their boots, taking two or three deep breaths, letting the cat out (ok I made that one up) before finally taking a goal kick.

Feigning injury & lying prostrate on the ground until a quick glance shows your team is attacking so you quickly jump to your feet to join the attack. Thousands have witnessed you cheating & you should receive a yellow card for dissimulation.

I’m sure I could think of more but I’m grinding my teeth so will stop there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012