Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:58:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Retained list  (Read 4331 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Retained list
« Reply #60 on May 15, 2024, 08:10:49 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
How are Degruchy and Kuleya getting options extended?

For what it’s worth I thought Kuleya looked ok in the chances he got but realistically neither is going to get a run in the team. Seems like a bit of a waste 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 15, 2024, 08:16:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
I assume we need some squad players and they have the perfect combination of being here already, being inexpensive and showing some prospect of improving.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 15, 2024, 09:01:56 pm by albie »
With Taylor leaving, GM might see Tav filling that position as back up.
The lad has been given a deal by different managers, which suggests that they see a player in him.

DeGruchy was used by FCUM at right back, so perhaps that is his thinking there.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 15, 2024, 09:29:33 pm by drfchound »
One name I am missing is Sam Straugham-Brown - I thought he was offered a deal about the same time as Flint?
He is only 17 so he will be in the under 18 team next season. Like others keeping the options open on Degruchy and Kuleya is surprising

If he gets fit Liam Ravenhill could still end up being a player. If I was Scunny manager I’d sign him.

I can see him taking a similar trajectory to Branden Horton. Not good enough for league football at the time of release but could end up working his way back there from Non-League. I was thinking he'd get a National League club but Scunny would very much make sense and Andy Butler will know Liam so there's a clear link.

I learned yesterday morning that Scunny ARE now staying full time pro next season so given the connection between Butts and Tommy Rowe I wouldn’t be surprised if TR has a season there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:08:26 pm by drfchound »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on May 15, 2024, 10:01:17 pm by dknward2 »
I'm guessing max may get asked back for pre season just to see how he comes back from injury

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 16, 2024, 10:00:56 am by Pancho Regan »
I've paid tribute to Tommy and Tayls on BST's dedicated thread but just wanted to say a word for Caolan Lavery.
His chances were blighted by serious injury and he never got a chance to show GM what he could do.

I dearly hope he regains full fitness, finds a decent club and gets back to scoring goals as he did at Scunny before joining us.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 16, 2024, 12:48:06 pm by ncRover »
I'm guessing max may get asked back for pre season just to see how he comes back from injury

He’ll probably get offers before that. He’s a very well-rounded centre forward for this level. If he’s fit I’d worry about us facing him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 16, 2024, 12:54:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Two things that largely only exist in the minds of supporters - “pay as you play deal” and “prove fitness during pre-season”.

These people have bills to pay and unless they are an experienced Premier League player with loads of cash, they probably don’t have the money to pay those bills unless in work. Only a fool is going to accept a pay as you play deal (if they even exist). The cards entirely stacked in favour of the club.

Pretty much any player can find a contract or at least a wage somewhere. Might not be at level you want but it will pay the bills. Hanging around waiting to get a game and a wage, or going through gruelling pre-season without any guarantee of contract when all other squads are getting filled up, just so rarely happens.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 16, 2024, 01:13:29 pm by albie »
CBCB,

It happens all the time in football.
The lower down you go, the more frequent it is.

In the non-league game, short term deals are the norm.
A club might have a core group on a longer contract, say for the season, but the squad is made up with short term renewable deals.

For a player, they need to weigh up the chance of getting a longer contract at a higher level, with an early settlement at a lower level with reduced earnings.

It is an unsecure profession!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 16, 2024, 01:36:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
Oh it’s definitely there outside the 92, absolutely. We are a 92 side though, which was the focus of this. Non league all kinds of crazy stuff like dual registration, no contract relationships, which you wouldn’t see in league football.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 16, 2024, 01:53:13 pm by albie »
It would be daft to sign an injured player, although we have been daft enough to do so in the past.

The issue is recovery from injury, and being able to prove you are good to go.
I would never sign a player who can't pass a medical, but at the same time you might have someone who is not fit now, but should be by August.

So what do you do to get to the point where you can make a proper decision on fitness?
A short term agreement minimises risk, and might be for the best in specific circumstances, like Max as an example.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 16, 2024, 02:15:38 pm by pib »
I think the key thing with Biamou is that we signed him at a time when our options were very limited. Transfer window shut and we couldn't get any more loans in either, so our only option was a free agent.

Approaching a summer window we will have a much bigger pool of options that we can viably look at.

That's not to say Max didn't do well for us, he looked a good player, but was always likely to be a short-term option with his age and injury record.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 16, 2024, 03:39:09 pm by dickos1 »
Two things that largely only exist in the minds of supporters - “pay as you play deal” and “prove fitness during pre-season”.

These people have bills to pay and unless they are an experienced Premier League player with loads of cash, they probably don’t have the money to pay those bills unless in work. Only a fool is going to accept a pay as you play deal (if they even exist). The cards entirely stacked in favour of the club.

Pretty much any player can find a contract or at least a wage somewhere. Might not be at level you want but it will pay the bills. Hanging around waiting to get a game and a wage, or going through gruelling pre-season without any guarantee of contract when all other squads are getting filled up, just so rarely happens.

That’s just nonsense, most clubs have a load of trialists every summer trying to get a contract.
To suggest any player can get a contract is just utter tripe, yes maybe at Thorne colliery for £15 a game.
But to stay professional these guys have to prove themselves time and time again.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on May 16, 2024, 04:21:08 pm by streathamdave »
One name I am missing is Sam Straugham-Brown - I thought he was offered a deal about the same time as Flint?
He is only a 1st year scholar so deal kicks in when that is completed I believe.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 16, 2024, 04:49:33 pm by GazLaz »

That’s just nonsense, most clubs have a load of trialists every summer trying to get a contract.
To suggest any player can get a contract is just utter tripe, yes maybe at Thorne colliery for £15 a game.
But to stay professional these guys have to prove themselves time and time again.

Clubs often have trialists in to boost numbers for training purposes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 16, 2024, 09:35:05 pm by dickos1 »

Clubs often have trialists in to boost numbers for training purposes.

Of course, but there are loads of players without a club every summer who are fighting for a new contract somewhere.
Especially in league 1 and 2

TinyPortal © 2005-2012