Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:31:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wolves proposal to do away with VAR  (Read 982 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Wolves proposal to do away with VAR
« on May 15, 2024, 08:15:19 pm by drfchound »
Wolves have put forward a proposal to do away with VAR from next season according to a piece on the BBC sport website.
It needs a 14/20 vote in favour for it to be passed.
Unsurprisingly the PL and the head of referees, Howard Webb are in favour of retaining it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Wolves proposal to do away with VAR
« Reply #1 on May 15, 2024, 08:19:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s performative, isn’t it? Wolves went into meltdown a few weekends ago after another decision went against them so this is the outcome. If there is any money in or linked to VAR, sure as eggs is eggs the rest of clubs will vote to retain VAR.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 15, 2024, 08:19:49 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Be great if the clubs get rid of it. Can’t see it happening.

The premier league, who exist to sell the to rights, should get rid of it without the clubs voting imo. It’s better to watch without VAR and everyone is on the same page there.

Spend money improving the quality of referees across the divisions by making it a very lucrative career choice if your good.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 15, 2024, 08:22:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Scrapping it would be a backwards step. Change it to semi-automated and it'll save time and improve decisions. Problem solved.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 15, 2024, 08:24:30 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Take it out of referees hands, make it independent only way it will properly work
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 09:20:52 pm by DearneValleyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 15, 2024, 08:56:12 pm by selby »
  Don't think there is any money in it for the clubs, didn't West Ham charge us a considerable amount of money for it in the cup game the other season?
  If the result is you can clip heals of players at Old Trafford  like it just has it's useless anyway.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 15, 2024, 09:00:09 pm by Donnywolf »
I think I might be right in saying that Wolves have been the most apologised to Team this Season

Cost them many points and in Prem points of course equal a higher finish with lots more money

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 15, 2024, 09:04:18 pm by DRFC_AjA »
First, be great if managers, Nuno especially, stop using VAR as the default thing to blame rather than playing poorly

Second, vAR should stay but not used how it is. No more frame by frame analysis of a tackle as it makes every tackle look bad. Used for offsides only and when there's daylight. I still think Coventry got absolutely robbed

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 15, 2024, 09:15:25 pm by ravenrover »
Might be a start point if our "top" referees stop relying on it to make decisions. Oliver a case in question relies on VAR to advise him rather than make the decision himself.
As for offside 2 decisions in Villa v Liverpool were clear to the naked eye just by the grass markings on the pitch but VAR still spent several minutes before coming to a decision that should have taken seconds
Does it really matter in 90mins of football if someone is on or offside by a gnats cock?
By all means keep the goal line tech but lose the VAR offside decisions out of human control

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 15, 2024, 09:22:15 pm by Petche »
Should be used as goal line technology and that alone.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2024, 10:06:04 pm by Draytonian III »
Also use goal line technology for ball in and out of play like they have been doing in tennis for over 25 years

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2024, 10:33:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not keen on VAR, because, for right or wrong, football has always been ruled by spontaneous decision-making.

Mind you, We might well have been in the play-off final if we had it in the play-offs.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 15, 2024, 10:38:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In my view, there is only one referee and technology should be used to assist the referee and whereever possible, give the opportunity for the referee to review contentious key decisions. Plus, the referees to embrace the technology to want to use it to check their own decisions. We seem to have gotten to a point where the VAR official guides the ref to watch again on the screen in way that implies the ref should overturn the decision. It then appears there are some selective choices of angles presented to the ref, which sometimes makes tackles look worse for example. In Rugby, the ref tells the VAR official what he wants to check for, and what angles he wants to see.

As for the offsides, it's getting as finite as a photo finish in a 100m sprint. Do we really want to judge offsides to those close tolerances to the centimeter? For me, if it's not clear to the naked eye then deem it level with the advantage to the attacking team.

It definitely needs serious review with all parties defining exactly what should be reviewed and how.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 15, 2024, 10:42:50 pm by EasyforDennis »
There is nothing wrong with the technical side of VAR. It is the referees that are the problem. With the most up to date technology how can they get so many decisions wrong??

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2024, 11:01:42 pm by Bills view »
VAR errors are simply incompetence. However, there will always be some decisions that people interpret differently. That's football.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 16, 2024, 06:00:16 am by Padge_DRFC »
Goal line technology and automated offsides will do. Instant correct decisions.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 16, 2024, 06:21:29 am by Donnywolf »
I did ask last time what would happen if we did away with Offside Rule itself

Would it work ? Would the game improve or would it get worse. Would it be an improved watch ?

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 16, 2024, 06:52:05 am by BradwellRover »
VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the application of it.

They should get two replays in real time with no slow mo or lines and if it’s not ‘clearly’ wrong, the on pitch decision stands.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 16, 2024, 07:13:16 am by drfchound »
VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the application of it.

They should get two replays in real time with no slow mo or lines and if it’s not ‘clearly’ wrong, the on pitch decision stands.

As I keep saying, it was brought in to correct clear and obvious errors.
The way it is being used currently is more than ridiculous and if it takes a few minutes and several slow motion replays to decide what decision should be made then the error isn’t clear and obvious.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 16, 2024, 09:31:13 am by Dutch Uncle »

As for the offsides, it's getting as finite as a photo finish in a 100m sprint. Do we really want to judge offsides to those close tolerances to the centimeter? For me, if it's not clear to the naked eye then deem it level with the advantage to the attacking team.

With offsides I think the cricket 'umpires call' procedure should be introduced, and the tolerance should be at least a foot (distance not anatomical), maybe two feet. A fraction of a second out in freezing the point of impact changes positions of players.  Just correct obvious errors and speed up the process. Within the tolerance - on field decision stands

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 16, 2024, 09:37:53 am by One_Matty_Lucas »

With offsides I think the cricket 'umpires call' procedure should be introduced, and the tolerance should be at least a foot (distance not anatomical), maybe two feet. A fraction of a second out in freezing the point of impact changes positions of players.  Just correct obvious errors and speed up the process. Within the tolerance - on field decision stands

+1

Don't see issues with VAR in general just the lack of tolerance/umpire's call.
Should be the same for things like handball too, if you need to spend more than 1 minute reviewing then the ref's decision stands.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 17, 2024, 10:23:37 am by Donnywolf »
Jurgen Klopp just said " he would vote to abolish VAR if he had a Vote but not because VAR is not working , but because those working it are not using it properly " which echoes what many have said above and elsewhere

Later he was asked about tomorrows Game v Wolves where it was good to see him "confirm" what I said in Reply 6 above when he said , Wolves had had a good Season , not a great one , but they have been penalised by VAR , yes VAR which we were just talking about. We (LFC) have had some strange decisions delivered by VAR but Wolves I would say are Champions of the League yes Champs , when it comes to VAR decisions (wrongly  going ) against them this Season
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 04:41:53 pm by Donnywolf »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012