Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:01:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: TalkSport  (Read 2888 times)

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
TalkSport
« on May 16, 2024, 10:02:15 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
 Didn't realise that the last time Leeds were at Wembley was vs the Rovers. That said, the pundit couldn't resist saying: ''Despite Doncaster having little support that day, Leeds lost the game. So they now have to prove great support gets you over the line'' (or words to that effect). Is 20k plus  support poor? Can't get over it, can they? You Reds!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: TalkSport
« Reply #1 on May 16, 2024, 10:04:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Heard that too. Think she used to play for Leeds so is obviously deluded. If she was there, she would have seen them take one hell of a beating that day.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 16, 2024, 10:26:47 pm by BradwellRover »
Unfortunately for them we weren’t playing top trumps on attendances or size of ground.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 16, 2024, 10:40:33 pm by German Rover »
Heard that too. Think she used to play for Leeds so is obviously deluded. If she was there, she would have seen them take one hell of a beating that day.

She used to play for the belles as well.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 16, 2024, 11:05:32 pm by The Beast »
Heard that too, as if I wasn’t enjoying all those sh!t songs being belted out by the Elland Road faithful enough!
Typical blinkered, arrogant, Leeds knobhead attitude!

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 16, 2024, 11:17:42 pm by LincsRover »
She also said it was a “Grim day” when they were beaten at Wembley in 2008 managing not to mention who beat them. I beg to differ, it was a f*ck*ng brilliant day!!  :evil: :evil:

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 17, 2024, 05:51:48 am by Padge_DRFC »
Apart from Beckford. Hard to see who would have got in the Rovers team from that Leeds side.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 17, 2024, 06:30:59 am by Donnywolf »
And as a reminder Dennis Wise when Manager of Leeds said of Rovers visit to Elland Road " they will be like Rabbits in the Headlights"

Richie Wellens said after the game which we won " as Players we only have to beat those on the Pitch , NOT those in the Stands"

We obviously did that at Wembley too. COYR
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 07:45:44 am by Donnywolf »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 17, 2024, 08:05:57 am by GazLaz »
And as a reminder Dennis Wise when Manager of Leeds said of Rovers visit to Elland Road " they will be like Rabbits in the Headlights"

Richie Wellens said after the game which we won " as Players we only have to beat those on the Pitch , NOT those in the Stands"

Why do managers always harp on about supporters being great and making a difference then? Is it a load of b*llocks?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 17, 2024, 08:37:38 am by IDM »
They are hardly going to say to fans not to bother giving support and encouragement, are they.?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 17, 2024, 09:24:48 am by Donnywolf »

Why do managers always harp on about supporters being great and making a difference then? Is it a load of b*llocks?

No , it's a fact that fans can make a difference but Wise's comment was obviously designed to try to intimidate Rovers (team)

I fell for it at Wembley and felt we would lose as their Fans outnumbered us by 2 to 3 times . However I needn't have worried as the Crowd factor didn't work

Returning to recent history , it didn't work last Friday either , nor the previous Tuesday at Crewe

number19

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 17, 2024, 09:38:40 am by number19 »
Think you'd be hard pushed to say the Leeds fans made no difference to the result last night.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 17, 2024, 09:45:50 am by Donnywolf »
I wouldn't try , as the first 10 words in my post above says ..

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 17, 2024, 09:54:29 am by turnbull for england »
Apart from Beckford. Hard to see who would have got in the Rovers team from that Leeds side.

Beckford was in rovers side, well in Mills and Roberts pockets

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 17, 2024, 10:10:14 am by GazLaz »
Think you'd be hard pushed to say the Leeds fans made no difference to the result last night.

It’s common belief (not sure how true in reality) that the better our crowd is the worse we perform.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 17, 2024, 10:11:50 am by DRFC_AjA »
That atmosphere last night was a typical example of English fans and their myths over reality. Same as Anfield. Aside from a little bit of marching on together where they only sing the chorus because they don't know the rest it was poor

PS wonder if she was there when we beat them at bellend road too. Same season or in championship? All a blur those heady SOD days

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 17, 2024, 10:35:45 am by keyser_soze »
I fell for it at Wembley and felt we would lose as their Fans outnumbered us by 2 to 3 times . However I needn't have worried as the Crowd factor didn't work

Agreed, I remember it that way too, it definitely felt like we were uninvited guests at their party, even though the Rovers end was pretty busy, albeit with some large pockets of Leeds fans.

Such a shame their players gave them nothing to cheer about!

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 17, 2024, 10:52:53 am by Goole Rover »
That atmosphere last night was a typical example of English fans and their myths over reality. Same as Anfield. Aside from a little bit of marching on together where they only sing the chorus because they don't know the rest it was poor

PS wonder if she was there when we beat them at bellend road too. Same season or in championship? All a blur those heady SOD days
Yes those SOD days were great. How badly he was treated after refusing a move to Burnley. Just shows that loyalty doesn't always pay, badly treated by a man who at the time was respected by most.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 17, 2024, 12:28:28 pm by graingrover »
When I talk to folk abroad I often hear they are fans of Leeds , Man City ( especially in  Belgium ) Arsenal .I then ask who there full backs are and usually get errrrm what’s his name .

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 17, 2024, 12:38:03 pm by adamtherover »
i heard a leeds die hard on, been supporting for 50 years!!!,  glad to get back to wembley for the first time since 2005!!!!! WTF!!  have they erased it from their memories!!!! lol

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 17, 2024, 12:49:24 pm by Donnyjim »
i heard a leeds die hard on, been supporting for 50 years!!!,  glad to get back to wembley for the first time since 2005!!!!! WTF!!  have they erased it from their memories!!!! lol

Come on. We all know they have under developed prefrontal cortex's.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 17, 2024, 02:44:04 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I suspect the 16000 or so proper fans that used to go and watch them back then haven't.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 17, 2024, 04:38:32 pm by Donnywolf »

It’s common belief (not sure how true in reality) that the better our crowd is the worse we perform.

True ... All those games where we kept collectively thinking " big crowd and we usually blow it " and yet we kept the run going

Just when I thought weve got that monkey off our back now ... then boom . There it was

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 18, 2024, 09:06:36 am by Rovers Return »
Didn't realise that the last time Leeds were at Wembley was vs the Rovers. That said, the pundit couldn't resist saying: ''Despite Doncaster having little support that day, Leeds lost the game. So they now have to prove great support gets you over the line'' (or words to that effect). Is 20k plus  support poor? Can't get over it, can they? You Reds!

Unfortunately she was wrong. We were the biggest club and had the largest support of any club around the world ….just for that one day.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 18, 2024, 10:06:55 am by idler »
I think that most neutral fans supported Rovers that day. I got texts from supporters of quite a few clubs wishing us well that day.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2024, 08:21:49 am by Draytonian III »

Unfortunately she was wrong. We were the biggest club and had the largest support of any club around the world ….just for that one day.

I’ve mention this before, but from qualifying to play in the final until the actual match I had supporters from 17 different teams come up to and wish Rovers success because we were playing Leeds

Sven Vath

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 19, 2024, 02:01:25 pm by Sven Vath »

I’ve mention this before, but from qualifying to play in the final until the actual match I had supporters from 17 different teams come up to and wish Rovers success because we were playing Leeds

And not Once has it been shown again on Sky !! Think they have lost the tape ?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 19, 2024, 07:35:45 pm by ForsolongaRover »

True ... All those games where we kept collectively thinking " big crowd and we usually blow it " and yet we kept the run going

Just when I thought weve got that monkey off our back now ... then boom . There it was

I think the team needs to get used to big crowds again and hopefully it will next season. With good football and results it will surely build.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012