Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:55:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Keeper situation  (Read 7259 times)

Wild Rover, Alan Southstand and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
Keeper situation
« on May 17, 2024, 06:40:33 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Lawlor and Jones on books

Ben Bottomley released. TLT sounds like he won't be returning from early reports and I doubt GM will hang about to find out any further.

GM already mentioned in his end of season interview that Kyle Letheren has been working since January identifying targets.

What are the thoughts?

IMO if Jones is happy to be back up I would keep him. Capable when needed. I did notice however when he came on after TLT red card that he wasn't listening to Woods and the others at the back wanting to continue playing short. This was either a sign that he doesn't train enough in the first team set up and play OR he is petulant and won't listen to the captain of the club. Either way not great.

Lawlor, seemed a quick signing last year, remember much surprise over it being the first signing. Either it was always planned for him to be 2nd choice and move Jones on OR lawlor didn't live up to expectation. I would say also a decent back up if willing to accept that.

To be honest there isn't a great difference between the two as a back up so for me would probably come down to commercial and I assume that would lean in Jones' favour.

I am fully expecting us to sign either a permanent or a season long loan No1. Then move on either Jones/Lawlor and also sign a 3rd choice or promote a youth keeper.

Trust in GM, he got TLT near on deadline day and none of us knew much about the lad!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 06:49:33 pm by Ryaldinhio »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
Re: Keeper situation
« Reply #1 on May 17, 2024, 06:58:20 pm by craigdrfc »
I could be, and probably am, wrong on this but I got the feeling that the Lawlor deal was already way down the line when McCann arrived and he just opted to go with it. Same with the Wood deal (although that one turned out well).

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 17, 2024, 08:28:07 pm by ncRover »
Lawlor was the most bizarre signing of the last few years.

Senior goalie who was the reserve for 2nd tier Scottish side expected to be no.1 for a League 2 promotion team… nuts.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 17, 2024, 08:31:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
And we had seen Lawlor before, his strengths and weaknesses. It was immediately apparent in his time away from us that he hadn’t changed an iota.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 17, 2024, 08:45:16 pm by In the box »
If get the the Wrong keeper in next season and end up having  to draft in another  loan midway throug the season ….it will be yet another L2 for another season . TLT was partly responsible for the upturn in form when he arrived and had he been here from the start , we could have had an automatic slot and not a playoff place !!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 09:36:47 pm by In the box »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 17, 2024, 08:47:44 pm by Janso »
And we had seen Lawlor before, his strengths and weaknesses. It was immediately apparent in his time away from us that he hadn’t changed an iota.

That's not true.

I thought he was worse this time.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 17, 2024, 09:35:06 pm by ravenrover »
But he can kick the ball miles

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 17, 2024, 09:47:06 pm by PDX_Rover »
Easssssssssy for Dennis.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 17, 2024, 10:06:32 pm by Colin C No.3 »
A good, no, very good keeper is essential to having a successful team.

Louis is a decent Lg2 keeper, no more no less imo. We don’t want decent we want better than decent if we want to be playing Lg1 football with aspirations to go higher.

Lawlor, I don’t know where his signing ‘came from’ except it had ‘Desperation written’ all over it.

So no TLT next year (good luck to him in the future) but I trust GM & his management team will find a keeper equally as good if not better, be that loan or whatever.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 17, 2024, 10:10:37 pm by mushRTID »
I’d get rid of both I’m afraid.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 17, 2024, 10:11:39 pm by Ryaldinhio »
I’d get rid of both I’m afraid.

And then sign 3 keepers????????

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 18, 2024, 11:44:07 am by glosterred »
Taking it that GM won’t be getting rid of either before their contracts expire, who does he play as first choice, Lawlor or Jones? For me Lawlor starts. Bringing in another keeper without getting rid of one or the other doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me.

COYR

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 18, 2024, 01:28:58 pm by ncRover »
Taking it that GM won’t be getting rid of either before their contracts expire, who does he play as first choice, Lawlor or Jones? For me Lawlor starts. Bringing in another keeper without getting rid of one or the other doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me.

COYR

It’s simple. Loan Jones out to put himself in the shop window for when his contract expires.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 18, 2024, 01:58:54 pm by 5minstogo »
From what I've heard LJ is getting rapidly disillusioned with being second fiddle.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 18, 2024, 02:07:53 pm by streathamdave »
Lawlors signing was the mistake of the season and I said as much at the time. Agreed with Jones as a number 2. We need a new number 1. Bottomly has basically been replaced by Oram as number 3. 4 keepers would be a mess. 3 keepers is spot on.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 18, 2024, 02:11:09 pm by johnny rovers »
From what I've heard LJ is getting rapidly disillusioned with being second fiddle.

Well, he needs to go and knock on the managers door then!! And see if he can be transfer listed. Hope he's got a good agent also?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 18, 2024, 02:28:54 pm by StocksArmy »
GK has to be the first position on the list after seeing how much better we were once that was addressed.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 18, 2024, 02:51:42 pm by drfcsteve »

Off to the national league then because he’s not first choice for anyone in league 2.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 18, 2024, 03:33:22 pm by ncRover »
GK has to be the first position on the list after seeing how much better we were once that was addressed.

Can’t see any obvious permanent options so might be later on in the window if it’s another loan. Which IMO is the more sensible thing to do.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 18, 2024, 04:01:49 pm by redarmi66 »

Might end up being third fiddle!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 18, 2024, 08:19:37 pm by scawsby steve »
It's got to be a loan from a Premier League or Championship club, as in Sam Johnstone, Seny Dieng, and TLT.

I've not seen anyone in League 2 this season that's inspired me at all.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 19, 2024, 08:55:14 am by grayx »
It's got to be a loan from a Premier League or Championship club, as in Sam Johnstone, Seny Dieng, and TLT.

Agreed.
We’ve got a good relationship with spurs apparently. Wonder if they’ve got a decent keeper available for loan?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 19, 2024, 09:15:53 am by drfcsteve »

Agreed.
We’ve got a good relationship with spurs apparently. Wonder if they’ve got a decent keeper available for loan?

Josh Keeley Spurs youth keeper has been on loan to Barnet the second half of last season so they’d probably loan him out to league 2 level. No idea whether he’s any good.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 19, 2024, 09:31:08 am by DonnyOsmond »

He ummed and ahhed last season about signing the new deal because of that. Then we signed Lawlor ahead of him, I would have been annoyed.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 19, 2024, 10:26:20 am by ncRover »

Agreed.

Josh Keeley Spurs youth keeper has been on loan to Barnet the second half of last season so they’d probably loan him out to league 2 level. No idea whether he’s any good.

Spurs extended his contract after his progress at Barnet. Irish u21 international too.

Can’t find anything else on him but he’s obviously got that TLT like composure.

https://x.com/owenthfc__/status/1673036539415207938?s=46

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2024, 10:56:27 am by Move DRFC »

He ummed and ahhed last season about signing the new deal because of that. Then we signed Lawlor ahead of him, I would have been annoyed.

To be fair he's had more than enough chances to have claimed the #1 shirt by now. Wellens literally gave him number 1. He's fine as back up but if he's not then its time to go.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 19, 2024, 11:07:16 am by DonnyOsmond »

To be fair he's had more than enough chances to have claimed the #1 shirt by now. Wellens literally gave him number 1. He's fine as back up but if he's not then its time to go.

Probably best for his career to start fresh, like has been mentioned, loan him out then let him go once his contracts expired. Lawlor as second choice, Oram as third choice is fine.

The only thing with Lawlor on the bench how do we meet the homegrown rules? Keep Faulkner around and not loaned out or a Kuleya, Goodman or Flint on the bench?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 19, 2024, 11:54:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Isn't part of keeping Jones a rule about home grown players and having one ex academy player in the squad?

He's just not dominant enough to be our number one yet, we can't wait what's likely a few more years for him to get there. He's a few years older than TLT but levels away.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 19, 2024, 01:03:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
I know keepers mature later but he will be 26 in October and has played 65 first team games for us.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 19, 2024, 07:26:54 pm by GazLaz »
Kieran O’hara would be fine for us. At Killie, think he’s out of contract.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012