Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:42:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pub team (Avin a laugh)  (Read 1735 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Pub team (Avin a laugh)
« on May 17, 2024, 08:42:42 pm by Nudga »
Can't stand this phrase and I'm seeing it a lot lately.
We're better than that now, we're bigger than that now (quite evidently)

Think bigger and time to lose the loser tag.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 08:55:55 pm by Nudga »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Pub team (Avin a laugh)
« Reply #1 on May 17, 2024, 08:44:20 pm by Branton Rover »
What’s a looser tag ? Reckon a belt my fix that

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 17, 2024, 08:51:40 pm by Guernsey Exile »
TLOD?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 17, 2024, 08:56:16 pm by Nudga »
What’s a looser tag ? Reckon a belt my fix that

Apologies, fixed it for you.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2024, 08:45:27 am by drfchound »
Wasn’t the pub team phrase adopted after Leeds fans called us that?
I don’t see it as derogatory that we adopt it and occasionally sing it, more of a response to those that gave us the name.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2024, 08:56:33 am by TonySoprano »
Wasn’t the pub team phrase adopted after Leeds fans called us that?
I don’t see it as derogatory that we adopt it and occasionally sing it, more of a response to those that gave us the name.
It was before then, think it was 03/04. Not sure who called it us first, might have been hull.
It was great back then, because we sort of were, we had a dilapidated ground with conference players and were taking the piss.

But now I totally agree with the OP, it needs to be dropped, has zero relevance now, and it's a bit cringey.
Were far better than that now.

Same goes for TLOD unless were in the championship,  just self deprecating defeatist bullshit.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2024, 09:15:25 am by Draytonian III »
I think it was before the Oxford game at homein the 2003/4 season

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2024, 04:15:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think it was before the Oxford game at homein the 2003/4 season

It was after that match that TLOD was coined.

One of their forums had a post saying they really shouldn't be losing to the likes of Doncaster.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2024, 07:32:35 pm by scawsby steve »
I can remember those ding dong games we had with Plymouth in the League Two 2016/17 season. I went on their forum, and one poster described us as a non-league club punching above our weight, with average gates of 2000. Unbelievable.

It's just what we get. If our miraculous turnaround this season had happened to a Premier League or Championship club, the pundits would never had stopped talking about it. Because it's us, it was barely mentioned.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2024, 08:54:58 pm by drfchound »
I can remember those ding dong games we had with Plymouth in the League Two 2016/17 season. I went on their forum, and one poster described us as a non-league club punching above our weight, with average gates of 2000. Unbelievable.

It's just what we get. If our miraculous turnaround this season had happened to a Premier League or Championship club, the pundits would never had stopped talking about it. Because it's us, it was barely mentioned.

It actually  got mentioned on Football Focus today mate.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 19, 2024, 08:23:37 am by DRFC_AjA »
And this thread about TLOD and a pub team is exactly why the arrogance of singing wemberley after 1 leg really annoyed me. Short memories, pot kettle black, and not knowing that football is never over

Wemberley vs Crawley on their equivalent of lucky pint today :thumbsup:

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 19, 2024, 09:42:53 am by Move DRFC »
It only really works when we're in the Championship where we're a small fish in a big pond. Quite the opposite in L2

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 19, 2024, 09:43:55 am by Nudga »
And this thread about TLOD and a pub team is exactly why the arrogance of singing wemberley after 1 leg really annoyed me. Short memories, pot kettle black, and not knowing that football is never over

Wemberley vs Crawley on their equivalent of lucky pint today :thumbsup:

Seriously? Every single club sings this when there's a slight whiff of Wembley.
Even Crewe fans sung it in the first half of our game and it certainly wasn't done and dusted then.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 20, 2024, 04:19:53 pm by silent majority »

I actually couldn't disagree with this more.

The tag doesn't apply to the club, and of course I agree that we are much more professional than what the title implies, but it's more about under promising and over delivering and clearly its self deprecating. Most clubs have some kind of image that they portray, one that fits or doesn't, but its always been the case.

Sheffield Wednesday are known for being 'massive' but they're not really, Millwall and Cardiff have the hooligan tag, Man Utd known for supporters who don't live in Manchester, Franchise FC for stealing a football club, Liverpool for being non-English and pro-scouse. Countless examples of what we expect from other teams and their supporters, but not much of it is an accurate description at all.

For me the 'pub team having a laugh' implies that we don't take ourselves too seriously, that we would never be mistaken for a billy big b*llocks team or supporters. Its meant to be taken with a large pinch of salt, its meant to disguise what we're really about so that we don't have to shout it from the rooftops. Of course we're ambitious and professional, but that doesn't mean that we, as a bunch of supporters,  have to start banging that drum. Nothing but disappointment lies down that road. Look at SWFC, how embarrassing for them to still insist how big they are as a club and yet recent years has proven the complete opposite.

No, I'd rather we keep proving our detractors wrong by winning competitions and seeing success on the field without adopting an approach that says that we should be doing so much more. Its certainly not a loser tag, its, for me, a cloak that we wear that disguises how good we really are.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 20, 2024, 04:34:39 pm by TonySoprano »

The tag doesn't apply to the club, and of course I agree that we are much more professional than what the title implies, but it's more about under promising and over delivering and clearly its self deprecating. Most clubs have some kind of image that they portray, one that fits or doesn't, but its always been the case.

Sheffield Wednesday are known for being 'massive' but they're not really, Millwall and Cardiff have the hooligan tag, Man Utd known for supporters who don't live in Manchester, Franchise FC for stealing a football club, Liverpool for being non-English and pro-scouse. Countless examples of what we expect from other teams and their supporters, but not much of it is an accurate description at all.

For me the 'pub team having a laugh' implies that we don't take ourselves too seriously, that we would never be mistaken for a billy big b*llocks team or supporters. Its meant to be taken with a large pinch of salt, its meant to disguise what we're really about so that we don't have to shout it from the rooftops. Of course we're ambitious and professional, but that doesn't mean that we, as a bunch of supporters,  have to start banging that drum. Nothing but disappointment lies down that road. Look at SWFC, how embarrassing for them to still insist how big they are as a club and yet recent years has proven the complete opposite.

No, I'd rather we keep proving our detractors wrong by winning competitions and seeing success on the field without adopting an approach that says that we should be doing so much more. Its certainly not a loser tag, its, for me, a cloak that we wear that disguises how good we really are.

Absolutely not, we can have an identity without having to bring ourselves down.
It was only relevant 20 years ago when we got back to the football league, because it was true really, again we had a crumbling ground with conference players, and winning competitions and beating Premier league clubs.
We indeed were "a pub team having a laugh"

Those days are LONG gone, we are now a serious club with serious ambitions, and at league 1 and 2 level we are now considered a big club.

Again we need to drop that outdated and cringey lose tag, and come up with a new one.

'Our city, our club" is one I quite like.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 21, 2024, 05:30:24 pm by RoversInSpain »

Totally agree… Exactly how I see it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012