Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:19:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rochdale  (Read 3766 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Rochdale
« on February 18, 2010, 08:25:33 pm by Lesonthewest »
Just watching SSN & checking the league tables is anyone else rooting for them to get promoted? After all the years in the bottom division surely there fans more than deserve it, especially after the dissapointment of their play-off defeat. Although we have moved on through the determination & financial backing of our chairman, there for the grace of god go we, we were a Rochdale, languishing in the lower division without much hope of promotion. Good luck to them. Must admit enjoyed many a good afternoon there. A pint in Lisa's local, & a pork pie & peas never bettered, not to mention the triple penalty save & Bruno's hatrick. Sincerely hope they make it, even just for their long suffering supporters.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re:Rochdale
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2010, 08:45:13 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Last time they were promoted they finished second in 1968-9

Now who were champions that year?

Still remember the 0-0 draw at Spotland that year with our famous goal that wasn't - a bullet header which came back into play from taut goalnets....oh and it would have been an own goal as well   :laugh:

Yep - I'm rooting for them as well

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2010, 09:24:14 pm by not on facebook »
was it not roachdale away when a rovers keeper saved 3 pens after first two
were re taken on refs say so,sure keeper was paul criton (spell check)

also roachdale away allways had blinding pie and peas.

recall when rovers played out there and they was still putting finishing
touches to the new stand donw left hand side of away end

lets say the security was very lacksture as all you had to do was pull back the
security fence then walk over/through the building site onto the away without paying.

also recall a donacster game out there when on same saturday there was a national front
march in roachdale.none of donny lads were present in the march but after said march the ddr lads were set on and were run all over with a couple of ddr lads getting broken
arms after beatings dished out.

iam i getting mixed up with another ground but is there a chuch just behind the away end at roachdale?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2010, 09:30:49 pm by Lesonthewest »
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Last time they were promoted they finished second in 1968-9

Now who were champions that year?

Still remember the 0-0 draw at Spotland that year with our famous goal that wasn't - a bullet header which came back into play from taut goalnets....oh and it would have been an own goal as well   :laugh:

Yep - I'm rooting for them as well

Good job that 'goal' didn't prevent us becoming champions then Dutch Uncle! Didn't make that game but as a snotty nosed 9 year old I remember the title clincher at Grimsby like it was yesterday.  ;)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2010, 10:17:15 pm by BobG »
I wnata 'em to win as well. I remember going there before they even had anny of these new faangled stand thingies. And it was there, I believe, that I saw Brian Murray (not sure I've got his Christian name right...) propel one of the blue clad natives straight over the pitch side wall right into the middle of the crowd. Very entertaining. But not for Murray as he got sent straight off :)

Cheers chaps

BobG

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2010, 10:46:39 pm by Lesonthewest »
BobG wrote:
I wnata 'em to win as well. I remember going there before they even had anny of these new faangled stand thingies. And it was there, I believe, that I saw Brian Murray (not sure I've got his Christian name right...) propel one of the blue clad natives straight over the pitch side wall right into the middle of the crowd. Very entertaining. But not for Murray as he got sent straight off :)

Cheers chaps

BobG

That was either Alan Murray or Brian Taylor, i'm tipping the latter Bob!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2010, 10:51:38 pm by BobG »
Thank you Les! Senility strikes again. I think it was Alan Murray actually. An unlikely candidate I agree, but I do think it was him. It wasn't Brian Taylor for sure. He never got close eneough to anyone to be able to do that!

Cheers, and thanks

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2010, 11:27:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'll be chuffed to bits if they do go up.

Proper club
Proper ground
Proper surroundings
Proper pies
Proper Bo when Bruno scored that theer hat-trick. And when Crichton did his own hat-trick the year after.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2010, 12:05:05 am by JonWallsend »
Definitely.
Pub with a bowling green and about 5 yards away the turnstile for the away end. ( that was when you used to get allocated the standing behind the goal, not the side we had on the last visit) Also, was the first ground where I recall hearing a  timeless classic tribute to Pat Lally, to the tune of Batman.

Nanananananananana...Pat Lal.

They don't write chants like that anymore.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2010, 11:35:15 am by Surrey Rover »
I remember a game there around new year in the mid eighties which finished 3-3 on a pitch so waterlogged they could have sailed a boat on it. In the current climate the ref would have been brought up in front of the 'elf & safety board for passing that pitch fit to play.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2010, 11:55:45 am by CusworthRovers »
No love fest for me for Rochdale. The last time we were there (I think it was midweek) there was quite a hostile atmosphere there, lot's of fans trying to get at each other and bigging it up inside the ground.

Very hostile outside with too many youths trying to play the big men in groups of 15. Had a few run ins on the long walk back to the car, parked down the endless road that leads to the motorway.

Ryan B

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2010, 01:12:28 pm by Ryan B »
i remember a game at belle vue in the 90's when we beat rochdale 3-0 or 3-1.

Did colin cramb get a hattrick? i certainly remember him taking off his shirt, putting into on the corner flag, and waving the flag over his head.

Anyone confirm that...?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2010, 09:50:23 pm by Lesonthewest »
Surrey Rover wrote:
I remember a game there around new year in the mid eighties which finished 3-3 on a pitch so waterlogged they could have sailed a boat on it. In the current climate the ref would have been brought up in front of the 'elf & safety board for passing that pitch

I remember that game Surrey Rover, they equalised in the last few minutes to grab a draw. That was the season we celebrated a second promotion under Bremner I do believe. Seem to remember Duggie  celebrating a goal after a one on one with their keeper when it stuck in the mud & he had to follow up to finish it off!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2010, 09:22:28 am by The Red Baron »
Me too! There's no way that game would be played now and even then it was very borderline. Still, it produced a rattling good game- though not one for the purist!

I remember going there in the FA Cup the following season when we won 2-1. I think Glynn Snodin scored a spectacular free kick, as he tended to do in those days.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2010, 11:04:39 am by Donnywolf »
Let them have a season or two in the sun ... imagine NOT being able to get out of the bottom division for all that time

You can try all methods , clogging , long balling , footballing and still cant do it

Ironically I too missed the goal that never was in 68/9 (it was an Easter game I think) but was there later when they had the telegraph pole type floodlights and one of the worst PA Systems I had (never) heard

Also they used to get waterlogged pitches by the load every season and so have fixture back logs. It was only recently when they decided to fix the drainage system and install a new pitch that they found the reason the drainage was poor was that ---- they did not even have one !

So good luck to them and letthem mix it with the big boys in Tier 3 for a while

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2010, 11:21:04 am by Donnybob »
First ever Rovers match, early 1960's, Rovers 2 Rochdale 1, if my memory serves me right. Mind you, it was a long, l-o-n-g time ago...!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012