Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:09:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Help For Heroes  (Read 4058 times)

POD

• Forum Member
Help For Heroes
« on March 13, 2010, 07:08:42 pm by POD »
Where were the collection buckets??

I saw one at the Lakeside entrance and walked most of the way round the ground without seeing another.  The announcer said that there would be buckets in the ground but again I saw nothing.  

I think the \"Help For Heroes\" needed some help today!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
Re:Help For Heroes
« Reply #1 on March 13, 2010, 07:38:12 pm by SkellowRover »
Yes there was. I thought today was very moving and emotional before the kick off, seeing Ben leading the troops around the ground, hearing Liam Maughans story over thr PA and then a minute of applause (which was far better then the minutes silence which was intended in my opinion).

I found this on the net, i'm sure Ben could do with all the support and donations possible, afterall he's a rovers fan. So lets get behind him fellas: http://www.benschallenge.com

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 13, 2010, 07:49:40 pm by danrover82 »
I have to agree. The minutes applause was more fitting in my opinion (its shows tremendous gratitude  and respect to him), giving the fantastic job that our boys do in extremly difficult circumstances, and the fact Liam was a hero to the end, saving his mates. His baby can grow up being enormously proud of his daddy.

A Ture Hero lost and a fantastic mark of resect from all the supporters.

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 13, 2010, 07:57:54 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
The tributes before the match brought a lump to my throat, I too thought that the applause was very fitting, especially as it was so spontaneous too.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 13, 2010, 08:42:12 pm by TheRev »
It was more than a lump in my throat....I was crying.
Great to see some of our troops in the ground, but the reading about young Liam did it for me. Our servicemen and women are the best! For me Liam has made the ulimate sacrifice for his country. A brave lad and braver than I'll ever be.
I have a brother out there now (He's back for the Scunny game) and my other brother is back out there at the end of April. Worrying times!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 13, 2010, 09:01:44 pm by bobjimwilly »
To hear he will never see his son; it's the saddest story you could ever hear...

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 14, 2010, 12:22:32 am by DadsleyRover »
I thought it was meant to be a minutes silence and I think after the wonderful eulogy this would have been the fitting appreciation to a life taken so young. It made me cry.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 14, 2010, 01:35:47 am by Filo »
I must confess it brought a tear to my eye as well, the spontaneous applause was a fitting tribute to the memory of Liam Maughan who paid the ultimate price for protecting our freedom. I have heard that Hatfield Town Council are planning to add Liams name to the war memorial in Hatfield cemetery, providing his family approve of it.

RIP Liam Maughan

and God Bless all our servicemen that are out in Afghanistan and Iraq

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 14, 2010, 07:54:31 am by donnievic »
I also think a minute's silence would have been more fitting for such a sad loss

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 14, 2010, 08:16:56 am by philsky »
Never easy to call.

So very sad and moving; for me, the tribute was reflective of the people's desire to show how deep the feelings are.

Very difficult to keep the tears at bay.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 14, 2010, 09:02:58 am by washyrover »
Sounded like the derby fans started the applause but i think such a young man would of liked it better such a sad loss and so young.

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 14, 2010, 09:30:08 am by DRFC85 »
I personally think the silence would have been more appropriate today... the minutes applause is fine as a tribute to someone who has had a reasonable innings, and who has perhaps passed away in more natural circumstances (i.e. George Best, Bobby Robson), not for someone who has died so young and in the circumstances this soldier did.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 14, 2010, 10:34:07 am by danrover82 »
I thought the whole situation was fitting. It was total silence during the eulogy, which on its own shows great respect. Then the Derby fans starting the applause, in my eys showed unbelievable gratitude to the young lad, a fantastic hero that our country and his family can be so proud of.

rhinoplod

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 14, 2010, 11:03:38 am by rhinoplod »
I also thought it was very moving. I am starting to find this 'minutes applause' a little bit contrived - it's now getting overused that it seems people are now expected to remember someone like this. It's almost automatic. That said, and to completely contradict myself, the apparant sponteneity of the applause yesterday was fitting, especially after the  eulogy that was read out before hand. I still feel a minutes silence, as planned, would perhaps have still been more fitting as it allows the poignance and time for personal reflection that a minutes applause perhaps does not.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 14, 2010, 11:09:13 am by Hounslowrover »
I agree that silence is better, you can reflect. During the applause, I found myself talking to the guy next to me about the applause v silence debate, not much reflection though the eulogy was very moving as was the applause as the soldiers paraded before the game. We've a lot to be thankful for.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 14, 2010, 08:41:38 pm by POD »
The soldiers themselves did not join in the minute's applause and stood with their heads bowed - I am pretty sure that they were expecting a minute's silence which would have been more appropriate in my opinion.  Once a few start clapping though, then it doesn't give others an option.

Perhaps in future, the announcer needs to make it clear what is expected, perhaps with prior consultation with the family concerned.

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 14, 2010, 09:59:53 pm by robchester »
we were sat behind the soldiers and a lot of them (about 75%) did clap

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 15, 2010, 10:37:47 am by RoversDave »
Not the minutes silence / clapping, but a few photos and video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuM4ViwQfk[/video]

TinyPortal © 2005-2012