Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 07:53:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Play Offs  (Read 9098 times)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re:Play Offs
« Reply #30 on March 17, 2010, 09:11:47 am by DonnyNoel »
weststander wrote:
Given that many of the squad are either on loan or out of contract,there can't be many bids, as players will be allowed to leave for free unless under 24.

True, hopefully as we look 99% safe we're going to start sorting some contracts out over the next few weeks before any whispers start.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 17, 2010, 09:33:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The Red Baron wrote:
BobG wrote:
Exactly Olso. If we agree that 70 points is about what you need to get in the play offs, that means we need 19 points from 9 games. Not impossible. But pretty unlikely. More than 2 points a game is Championship form.

BobG

Bob- given the spread of points this season someone might sneak 6th place with around 68 points. That would be six wins from nine, or five and a couple of draws.

interesting points lads.

Just as a by the way, and of no real scientific predictive interest, Cardiff have 10 matches to go: they gave picked up 13 points in their previous 10 games, so a repeat of that would put them on 68.

We have 9 left and have picked up 17 points in our last 9. Repeat that and we'd have...68 points.

By the same measure, Coventry would end up on 67 points, Barnsley 65,  Sheff Utd on 63, Middlesboro on 61 and Blackpool 60.  

Reading are coming through like a steam train. They are 4 points behind us but they have 11
matches left. If they repeated their form over the previous 11 matches, they'd end up with 71. But a run like that would mean that they would gave picked up 48 points from their final 22 matches, which is almost unheard of - equivalent to 100 points over a season.

Button yer pockets down lads and lasses. It's going to be orgasm time.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 17, 2010, 09:42:10 am by bedale rover »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:
BobG wrote:
Exactly Olso. If we agree that 70 points is about what you need to get in the play offs, that means we need 19 points from 9 games. Not impossible. But pretty unlikely. More than 2 points a game is Championship form.

BobG

Bob- given the spread of points this season someone might sneak 6th place with around 68 points. That would be six wins from nine, or five and a couple of draws.

interesting points lads.

Just as a by the way, and of no real scientific predictive interest, Cardiff have 10 matches to go: they gave picked up 13 points in their previous 10 games, so a repeat of that would put them on 68.

We have 9 left and have picked up 17 points in our last 9. Repeat that and we'd have...68 points.

By the same measure, Coventry would end up on 67 points, Barnsley 65,  Sheff Utd on 63, Middlesboro on 61 and Blackpool 60.  

Reading are coming through like a steam train. They are 4 points behind us but they have 11
matches left. If they repeated their form over the previous 11 matches, they'd end up with 71. But a run like that would mean that they would gave picked up 48 points from their final 22 matches, which is almost unheard of - equivalent to 100 points over a season.

Button yer pockets down lads and lasses. It's going to be orgasm time.

you are not the saturday santa in disguise are you?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 17, 2010, 11:33:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
bedale rover wrote:

you are not the saturday santa in disguise are you?

No, but I learned everyhting I know about life, love and the Universe from him. A God among men.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 17, 2010, 11:45:54 am by Thinwhiteduke »
thornerover94 wrote:
and picture this 24th april rovers need a win  for playoffs Scunthorpe lose and there relegated that could be interesting

That would be my dream - to put them scumbags down and put us in the Play Offs. Pure perfection.

bangormaine

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 17, 2010, 12:26:09 pm by bangormaine »
As someone who has never been this high before I would dearly like the Rovers fans who are still staying at home to appreciate where the club are now and get to the Keepmoat to share in a bit of history. My memories, although a little faded, still recall a time when over 20,000 people turned up at O.B.V to see a match that if we had won would put us top of the old third division. Can any one remember this time or was a just a young boys dream.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 17, 2010, 12:48:15 pm by danrover82 »
Whilst I dare to dream about the Rovers in the Premiership and getting into playoffs this year, are we ready for it?  I very much doubt it.

I would personally like to see SOD build on this year to have a half decent chance of surviving if we ever made it to the promised land. It wont be much fun watching teams run us off the park week in week out without the right pieces in the puzzle. Its better to get up and stay up  then get up and sink straight away.

Plus you get more games for your money in the championship  ;)

deebee

« Reply #37 on March 17, 2010, 12:55:54 pm by deebee »
If we make the Premiership our games will be free to STH's you can't get cheeper than that.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 17, 2010, 12:59:33 pm by Superspy »
it may be better to go up and stay up, but its also better to go up and sink straight away than it is to not go up at all. think about SOD's \"take the money and run\" comment a few days ago.

if we went up, hardly spent any money, got battered every week and came back down, we'd still be where we are now, only 30-40 million quid richer, and STILL with no debt.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 17, 2010, 01:08:16 pm by danrover82 »
No, they will be only be free if we get up next year wouldn't they? Rovers have made not promise about this year.

Take the money and run? what fun will it be if we got hammered every week? Would the extra fans that come to KM come back in the Championship if we get beat week in week out? I very much doubt it.

If Rovers spent a little in the summer and made some quality signings it would give them a huge chance of performing in the Premier League. Its not two weeks ago that alot of people on here were saying the squads not good enough, then we get nose bleeds with our league position and people are running away with themselves.

If Cardiff win their game in hand were 7pts behind. I want Rovers to build on what we have and make a strong push next year and give Premier league teams a run for their money.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 17, 2010, 01:12:36 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
danrover82 wrote:
No, they will be only be free if we get up next year wouldn't they? Rovers have made not promise about this year.

That's how I understood it too. If we take 3 points on Saturday, maybe it would be a good idea for the club to make this clear before the moaning starts.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on March 17, 2010, 01:14:05 pm by Superspy »
so are u telling me that if u were SOD you would be telling the lads to throttle back a bit as we dont want to get promoted because we are not ready?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 17, 2010, 01:14:51 pm by Superspy »
Snods Shinpad wrote:
danrover82 wrote:

That's how I understood it too. If we take 3 points on Saturday, maybe it would be a good idea for the club to make this clear before the moaning starts.

JR's not a muppet, im pretty sure he only said \"next year\" because he didnt think we'd do it this year. if we go up this time im sure we'd all get the ST's for free.

neil grainger

« Reply #43 on March 17, 2010, 01:20:31 pm by neil grainger »
Superspy wrote:
it may be better to go up and stay up, but its also better to go up and sink straight away than it is to not go up at all. think about SOD's \"take the money and run\" comment a few days ago.

if we went up, hardly spent any money, got battered every week and came back down, we'd still be where we are now, only 30-40 million quid richer, and STILL with no debt.

Spot on Superspy, my sentiments entirely.
Seize the moment, grab any opportunity that comes your way because you never know if it will come along again.

Having said that I also agree totally with Bob's sentiments in his earlier post. This is the highest league position I've seen Rovers occupy in over 40 years of following them.
All I ever dreamed of was to see my beloved Rovers play in the 2nd tier of English football.

Not only have we achieved that dream but we are also playing some of the most exquisite football I've ever witnessed from Rovers, we are more than holding our own at this level and now we're even daring to dream of higher things.

Absolutely incredible and I am savouring every moment.

Leaving aside the dream of the play-offs, how about the prospect of finishing as the highest of the South Yorkshire clubs?

Now that would be something else I'd only been able to dream of during all those years gazing up the leagues at our local rivals.

Happy, happy days!

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 17, 2010, 01:38:19 pm by Superspy »
all very true, and to be honest i dont realistically think we'll get into the playoffs either. however, the prospect of getting above the blades, for me, is mouthwatering.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 17, 2010, 01:46:16 pm by Rovers Return »
danrover82 wrote:

Take the money and run? what fun will it be if we got hammered every week? Would the extra fans that come to KM come back in the Championship if we get beat week in week out? I very much doubt it.

If Rovers spent a little in the summer and made some quality signings it would give them a huge chance of performing in the Premier League. Its not two weeks ago that alot of people on here were saying the squads not good enough, then we get nose bleeds with our league position and people are running away with themselves.

If Cardiff win their game in hand were 7pts behind. I want Rovers to build on what we have and make a strong push next year and give Premier league teams a run for their money.

I am presuming...please feel free to correct me but you may be of tender years, where as I and judging by some of the crowd at the Rovers, the years are running out. Remember the girl at school who fancied you and you made her wait? She doesn't and never did look your way again. What I am trying to say I suppose is, grab the opportunity with both hands when it's in front of you. It may never, never come your way again. Consolidate, build for next year, when we are ready............... :unsure:

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 17, 2010, 02:18:00 pm by danrover82 »
Superspy wrote:

JR's not a muppet, im pretty sure he only said \"next year\" because he didnt think we'd do it this year. if we go up this time im sure we'd all get the ST's for free.

You're right mate, JR isn't a muppet but a business man and although he loves the club so much DRFC is still a business. Do you honestly think the club would give out free tickets next year if Rovers got promoted this, when people will be breaking their necks to pay for one? I dont, and they dont have to either unless Rovers went up next year. Why give something for free when you get people to pay for it and still make millions from promotion in the process. SOD wont be telling them to ease off by any means, because he still wont know where we are in the table ;)

Rovers Return, I consider myself to still be relatively young but not a kiddy by any means. Every one were bricking it at the start of the season, due to the lack of signings and selling of our better players. What I am trying to say is whilst its good to get your hands on the Premier League (and believe me I cant wait for that day) do you honestly think Rovers will not get a better chance than this? We are growing year on year and nothing I can see  suggests differently. We will be better prepared for it if just an extra year.
We have proved ourselves against Premier League teams, even with a lesser quality squad than we have today on one off basis, but we have also been opened up by the likes of Spurs and Bolton in recent years. Not that its going to happen, but I just think its better to compete in the league then be ridiculed week in week out if we dont perform to our potential. I'm daring to dream, dont get me wrong I just thinks its more of steady as we go! ;)

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on March 17, 2010, 03:31:47 pm by Rovers Return »
danrover82 wrote:
Superspy wrote:

You're right mate, JR isn't a muppet but a business man and although he loves the club so much DRFC is still a business. Do you honestly think the club would give out free tickets next year if Rovers got promoted this, when people will be breaking their necks to pay for one? I dont, and they dont have to either unless Rovers went up next year. Why give something for free when you get people to pay for it and still make millions from promotion in the process. SOD wont be telling them to ease off by any means, because he still wont know where we are in the table ;)

Rovers Return, I consider myself to still be relatively young but not a kiddy by any means. Every one were bricking it at the start of the season, due to the lack of signings and selling of our better players. What I am trying to say is whilst its good to get your hands on the Premier League (and believe me I cant wait for that day) do you honestly think Rovers will not get a better chance than this? We are growing year on year and nothing I can see  suggests differently. We will be better prepared for it if just an extra year.
We have proved ourselves against Premier League teams, even with a lesser quality squad than we have today on one off basis, but we have also been opened up by the likes of Spurs and Bolton in recent years. Not that its going to happen, but I just think its better to compete in the league then be ridiculed week in week out if we dont perform to our potential. I'm daring to dream, dont get me wrong I just thinks its more of steady as we go! ;)

Very astute Dan and I would fully agree with your points if I had my rational head on. However my fear sits in the camp of 'all the great plans of mice and men'. We may never, despite how hard we try, have the rub of the green again and eventually the powers that be give up and pull the plug. We then eventually slip back down from whence we came.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 17, 2010, 03:47:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Rovers Return wrote:
Remember the girl at school who fancied you and you made her wait? She doesn't and never did look your way again:

Aye, I remember her. Broke my heart so it did.

Mind, I had a knee trembler with her 20 years later at a school reunion.

She wasn't as pert as she used to be and I had significantly less hair.

Not sure what the analogy is vis-a-vis our current league position but there must be a parable in there somewhere...

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 17, 2010, 04:26:23 pm by Superspy »
dan i think you misunderstood me. as it stands he has said if we go up next year then everyone will get a free season ticket for the prem (presumably only existing season ticket holders)...what i meant was, if we were to go up this year, we would get the free tickets this year INSTEAD of next :)

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 17, 2010, 04:46:42 pm by PACMAN »
Having looked at the other teams fixture who are around us I think the play offs are unlikely. Cardiff for example have 6 homes games out of their remaining 10 to play. Realistically we would need 70 points, or 19 from a possible 27, a tall order with the likes of Newcastle & West Brom at home plus Swansea away on the last day to come.
But I'm sure we'd all have snapped the hand off of anyone suggesting we'd have 51 points in mid March at the start of the season, especially the doom and gloom merchants who surfaced when Mills and Wellens left? :laugh:

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 17, 2010, 07:18:56 pm by normal rules »
bangormaine wrote:
As someone who has never been this high before I would dearly like the Rovers fans who are still staying at home to appreciate where the club are now and get to the Keepmoat to share in a bit of history. My memories, although a little faded, still recall a time when over 20,000 people turned up at O.B.V to see a match that if we had won would put us top of the old third division. Can any one remember this time or was a just a young boys dream.

This was mid to late 60's when rovers played Darlo in front of 22000 to go top of the old Div 4. Rovers lost 1-0.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 17, 2010, 07:26:53 pm by wilts rover »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Rovers Return wrote:
Remember the girl at school who fancied you and you made her wait? She doesn't and never did look your way again:

Aye, I remember her. Broke my heart so it did.

Mind, I had a knee trembler with her 20 years later at a school reunion.

She wasn't as pert as she used to be and I had significantly less hair.

[/b]Not sure what the analogy is vis-a-vis our current league position but there must be a parable in there somewhere...[/b]

2 that i can pick out;
your eyesight and taste definately get less discerning as you get older - whoever would have thought we would have players of the quality of Neil Sullivan, John Oster and Billy Sharp playing for us...

drawing graphs is a load of b*llocks and the football league really is upside down...

MrCroft

« Reply #53 on March 17, 2010, 07:52:11 pm by MrCroft »
Hmm Rovers in the Championship play offs; always seemed a comment that would be thrashed by abuse a few years/months/weeks ago, but looking at how we are performing this season compared to last season, I think that we are really turning into the dominating passing 'Arsenal' team we've been reffered to. Last year if we was drawing 1-1 and probaly should have accepted a draw because Sully kept their scoreline in single figures last night. We would have either lost it at the death or held out for the draw, but winning a game against a very low team really late on is something we havent done in a long while now, its what seperates the good teams from the better teams in the division, it was a similar game to that at Cardiff earlier on in the year and we lost it at the end. At that time they looked like a really play off force, turning what should be scrappy draws into wins, and that is what happened last night. After our last 4 games, especially in terms of performances (especially in front of goal) I don't think we would look out of place in the play-offs.

However I think for us to pick up those point required it is going to be a confidence thing, rather than a statistical thing; ie Newcastle next week, if we can somehow get a result that makes us walk off the pitch in confidence, then I think we will be heading for the play-offs, we cannot lose to the teams around us and expect to pick up the points against lower teams when your pushing for play offs because then your gonna get beat in the play-offs. Of course that is not a 100% true as that could prove dividends and see us somehow walking back into \"Sportsdirect.com@stjames'park'\" with revenge on our mind...

If we do not make the play-offs it is still nice to think at one point it was a realistic prospect, and we can go from strength to strength and try to get ourselves up there next season. I do not honestly know whether we will get into the play-offs, but I do know its going to be a fantastic end to the season.

Come on you reds!!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 17, 2010, 08:01:46 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Most notable for us at the moment is we don't have many stand out players.  Sharp is for his goals, but I reckon our change in approach has played a big part in that two.  Certainly been more confident than previously.  We could replace Sharp even though we'd all love to see him here, unless we get to a play off final, it isn't going to happen realistically unless big investment comes in.

Bar that, we've players that are quality throughout, but they're not big names and they're not on the radar of others.  Ironically the two who are always talked about for moves, are the two who've played very little football recently (Stock and Woods).

Things will change in the summer, I think we'll miss out as we're not consistent enough and won't be in the final stages, luck will probably play the biggest part.

The key thing to maintain progress is to keep the management.  We'll probably finish mid table if we're honest and that's superb, top 10 will be a good season.  I just hope we can keep hold of SOD,ROK, work on growing the crowds and improve the squad to ensure we can finish top 10 minimum next year if we miss out.

It's still very good times.  Last season it was all about Stock, Wellens, Mills according to those outside the club, but it's not.  The whole squad plays a big part and that includes the likes of Wilson who's had stick but done a top job in midfield.

Great times it is.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 17, 2010, 09:35:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just used the same method I used to predict our promotion to the Championship (except that fell down at the last hurdle when we got done at Cheltenham).

Anyway, factoring all the pressures that teams will come under, and my rose tinted specs, I have come up with the following play off positions.

3 Forest
4 Leicester
5 Swansea
6 Rovers

Play off final with Leicester anyone ?

Destiny !!??

TinyPortal © 2005-2012