Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:08:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Oster  (Read 5734 times)

Jonathan

John Oster
« on March 20, 2010, 06:46:23 pm by Jonathan »
What on earth does he have to do to get awarded the man of the match accolade at a game?

He was absolutely brilliant again today and consistently looks streets ahead of any other player on the pitch. His ability to retain possession in tight situations and use the ball cleverly and creatively is as good as anything I've seen and some of his link up with Coppinger was sublime. Oster makes everything look so easy and his touch and weighting of passes is bordering on flawless. The technical ability combined with his workrate has to make him a real contender for our player of the year in my opinion.

What is most important is that we get him signed up on a long term contract, he deserves it and we desperately need him as he's become one of, if not the most reliable player in the whole team.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
Re:John Oster
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2010, 06:49:13 pm by SkellowRover »
I thought he was poor 2nd half and gave the ball away too often, having said that he wasnt the only one. JoC was my man of the match by miles too.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2010, 06:54:31 pm by DonnyNoel »
Its not very often I go against you Jon but I'd be inclined to agree that 2nd half both him and Woods were guilty of some irresponsible passing in front of our back 4. That said, when he's at the races, so are we (first half today and vs Palace and Wednesdays). Certainly needs tieing down for 2 years as our best creative CM.

JOC or Hayter for motm for me.

RedRockets

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2010, 07:03:38 pm by RedRockets »
Hes always one of the better players within the side, but is still lacking something...maybe a consistent 90 minutes instead of dipping in and out of the game in stages

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 20, 2010, 07:30:38 pm by bobjimwilly »
It was a solid performance from Oster, but O'Connor gets MOM from me also. The two Jimmy's and Roberts at the back have been excellent this season, and more than proved themselves to be Championship players.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2010, 09:13:49 pm by RoversAlias »
Several players had better games than Oster. He did well, especially when it came to attacking plays but he was too slack at times on the ball, he appears too casual and it costs him a lot. For me Martis was MoM, didn't put a foot wrong, but the whole defence was superb today, whereas several of the midfielders went missing for spells in the second half. Oster was one of them.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2010, 09:27:19 pm by dickos1 »
I agree jon,
Every week i have him as a strong contender for man of the match, he is classy on the ball,and is a calming influence. If the ball comes to him in a tricky position i feel assured that its fallen to him and he will deal with it successfully. Similar to the way wellens used to give me confidence.
The only negative is sometimes he tries things that are almost impossible but that just shows the kind of confidence he currently has.
He must be enjoying the best football of his career to date.

roversron

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2010, 09:49:53 pm by roversron »
I have seen Oster a few times in his Everton days now he is older and wiser and i think sean is asking questions of him that no other manager in his career has asked. Previously he was a winger with potential to reach the top with a full bag of tricks, now he is playing a totally different role and he appears to be really enjoying it.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2010, 10:27:04 pm by Lesonthewest »
Jonathan wrote:
What on earth does he have to do to get awarded the man of the match accolade at a game?

He was absolutely brilliant again today and consistently looks streets ahead of any other player on the pitch. His ability to retain possession in tight situations and use the ball cleverly and creatively is as good as anything I've seen and some of his link up with Coppinger was sublime. Oster makes everything look so easy and his touch and weighting of passes is bordering on flawless. The technical ability combined with his workrate has to make him a real contender for our player of the year in my opinion.

What is most important is that we get him signed up on a long term contract, he deserves it and we desperately need him as he's become one of, if not the most reliable player in the whole team.

Totally & utterly agree Jon, he was head & shoulders above anyone today. He really looks like he is enjoying his football, & his performances reflect that. His one touch football with Coppinger was a joy to watch & we are so lucky to have players like him. Apart from his brilliant footwork he is so intelligent on the ball. There were a few times second half when he was busting a gut to try & get our possession game going sensing the danger of Sheff Utd's possession. We need to get him signed on a decent contract ASAP.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2010, 10:47:46 pm by Filo »
Oster can be sublime one minute and sloppy the next, there was one instance today when he flicked the ball inside on the edge of our area without looking and gave the ball straight to a sheff utd player

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2010, 10:48:27 pm by Bikka »
Jimmy, by a country mile today, also think he's been a revelation this season playing centre back, not his natural position.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 21, 2010, 08:37:01 am by DonnyNoel »
Filo wrote:
Oster can be sublime one minute and sloppy the next, there was one instance today when he flicked the ball inside on the edge of our area without looking and gave the ball straight to a sheff utd player

Thats why Jimmy shaded motm for me. Both Oster and Woods did that too often. At least Wilson carries it 30-40 yards before passing to the opposition.

;)

The Shining Light

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 21, 2010, 10:15:54 am by The Shining Light »
I said earlier in the season that Oster was the best signing we had made since McIndoe. His on the ball ability is sublime especially in tight situations and his strength is very good considering he is quite small.

He has been playing the Stock role very well in recent weeks, shame we lost the tempo second half.

If Oster hasn't been man of the match yet then I can't beleive it, must be down to good all round performances.

Bretby Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 21, 2010, 12:32:26 pm by Bretby Rover »
One word for Oster and that is Quality. He is definitely one of the better players to have put on a Rovers shirt. I think he is still improving in the role he is playing and he will only get better. Sign him up.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 21, 2010, 02:13:57 pm by Wellred »
John Oster is class and you can see it from his play. In recent games he has been consistantly the most creative player in the side.
Just watch the game and see where most of our attacks start from.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 21, 2010, 02:20:32 pm by Filo »
Wellred wrote:
John Oster is class and you can see it from his play. In recent games he has been consistantly the most creative player in the side.
Just watch the game and see where most of our attacks start from.

I agree Oster is class, but equally watch the game and see how many sloppy balls he gives away on the edge of our own area

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 21, 2010, 02:24:50 pm by Wellred »
I saw one yesterday but if we are going down that road how many sloppy balls does Stocky give away in dangerous positions? and that isn't a criticism of Stock as he is for me probably our most influential player when fit.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 21, 2010, 02:43:14 pm by Filo »
Wellred wrote:
I saw one yesterday but if we are going down that road how many sloppy balls does Stocky give away in dangerous positions? and that isn't a criticism of Stock as he is for me probably our most influential player when fit.

I didn`t ask you about Stock, the debate is about Oster, you only choose to see the posative things about oster, likewise it`s the opposite with Wilson, you only see the negative things, you seem to be very selective about what you observe

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 21, 2010, 02:47:39 pm by Wellred »
So now you are changing the debate from Oster to Wilson to suit your purpose.
I very rarely write anything positive about Wilson because I very rarely see anything positive to write.
You have your opinion. I have mine. You think he is a good player and an asset to the team.
I disagree.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 21, 2010, 02:52:35 pm by Filo »
Wellred wrote:
So now you are changing the debate from Oster to Wilson to suit your purpose.
I very rarely write anything positive about Wilson because I very rarely see anything positive to write.
You have your opinion. I have mine. You think he is a good player and an asset to the team.
I disagree.

Just like you changed the debate from Oster to Stock to suit your purpose!

Or do you choose to ignore that fact as well?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 21, 2010, 02:56:22 pm by Wellred »
Whatever.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 21, 2010, 02:58:45 pm by Filo »
Wellred wrote:
Whatever.

I take that as you do choose to ignore the fact you changed the debate to suit your own purpose?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 21, 2010, 02:59:23 pm by Wellred »
If it makes you happy.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 21, 2010, 03:05:05 pm by Filo »
Wellred wrote:
If it makes you happy.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 21, 2010, 03:14:36 pm by Wellred »
awwwww have I upset you?
Did you spit the dummy out before the photo was taken?

Jonathan

« Reply #25 on March 21, 2010, 03:17:12 pm by Jonathan »
Seeing as this thread has gone totally off the topic of John Oster, does anyone know where the goals from yesterday can be viewed? I missed the Football League show last night and it's not on iPlayer at the moment. I watched through half time of the current BBC game and they had a Championship review where they mentioned Sheffield United chasing the play offs and showed their equaliser, but still yet to see our goal/chances anywhere?

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 21, 2010, 09:56:53 pm by Donny Dub »
Jon Oster man of the match yesterday for sure.

Great fast feet, sublime skill and speed best player on the pitch all afternoon for me.

Good luck!

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 21, 2010, 10:02:01 pm by stockyboy »
I think it normally comes on bbc iplayer tomorrow morning, not 100% sure though.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 21, 2010, 10:13:19 pm by Branton Rover »
Personal opinion on Johnny Oster he's been given license by Sean to roam the midfield in a position where he's not played before & clearly he's relishing this he's been outstanding certainly negated the loss of Richie not as strong but just as gifted with the ball.  Great we've signed till end of next season another astute SOD signing

London_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 22, 2010, 10:01:44 am by London_Rover »
I'm with Jonathan ont his one too.  Oster has been playing great. I think Oster is very positive too in that he is always looking to go forward. I think some of the credit for Oster's performances should go to Wilson too.  

As for JOC, he's a player that always gives his all.  I reckon even if he stopped off at the local park on his way for kickabout with the kids he'd run his heart out...

For the first half hour on Saturday they were all fantastic.  No, what am I talkig about they: they were great all day...

It hought the \"are you Wednesday in diguise\" chant was most apt.  Utd looked bl**dy awful...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012