Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:53:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: From the Plymouth forum.........  (Read 2846 times)

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
From the Plymouth forum.........
« on April 04, 2010, 01:26:38 am by Old Popsider »
pogleswoody

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAZZA26 wrote:
ArgyleGreen wrote:
surely Doncaster and us cant be the feature on the Newcastle Utd Show!

Ah...
You don't think Newcastle won't get a mention eh?  
Mark Clemmit was at the Peterborough game because there was a possibilty that Newcastle would be promoted and Peterborough relegated (I know it's all but mathematically confirmed but anyway...)
There is also an extended highlights edit of the Cardiff v Swansea game.

For those who were not at the game or didn't catch the live feeds on the internet there will be highlights of the donnie v plymouth match - around 7 minutes 40 secs. Whilst we came back into it in the second half in terms of possesion, and attacking play the majority of the clear-cut chances featured are from Doncaster. Fantastic end to the game though! Not sure if there will be studio reaction - I would assume so.
COYG!!

\"well if Doncaster want to make the play offs they need to be beating the likes of Plymouth at home!! \"  

The last bit says it all really doesn't it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re:From the Plymouth forum.........
« Reply #1 on April 04, 2010, 01:28:43 am by Superspy »
it does, and i said before the game that if we arent beating teams like plymouth at this point then we dont deserve to go up. football is a funny old game. that being said, i stick by my opinion that we were good enough to win today.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 04, 2010, 01:36:46 am by Old Popsider »
Superspy wrote:
it does, and i said before the game that if we arent beating teams like plymouth at this point then we dont deserve to go up. football is a funny old game. that being said, i stick by my opinion that we were good enough to win today.

Mind you, in all honesty I don't want us to go up - not yet anyway. We simply are not prepared on or off the pitch. Staying in this division for a couple more season will get us a team that will be ready for the big leap up. The only thing to hold us back would be the KMS. It simply is not fit for purpose in the Premiership. I wouldn't like us to go up only to do a Hull. The more experience the team can get at this level the better really, perhaps in time the coffers might be big enough to allow SOD - if he's still here- to buy a really good striker force. Billy plus a couple more. Let's enjoy the dizzy heights we're at for a few seasons more. Along with the inevitable rollercoaster ride!! :woohoo:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 04, 2010, 11:05:11 am by silent majority »
Mind you, in all honesty I don't want us to go up - not yet anyway

Can't agree with this OP. I've been following the Rovers for 46 years and I want it to happen in my life time. Get a move on JR!!

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 04, 2010, 01:04:29 pm by thornerover94 »
i think we need to gain a much larger fan base before we can think of going its onvious we are struggling now, so one season in prem everybody wanting to watch every ame and then the season after a dramactic drop in gates once the glory fans go it would be better to wait a couple of seasons and try and gain a couple of decent players who we can afford to keep to send us there

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 04, 2010, 01:14:32 pm by Superspy »
i couldnt see a drop of fans to figures less than what we have now? from a financial point of view, going up, and coming straight back down is much more beneficial than consolidating in this league for a few more years.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 04, 2010, 01:31:33 pm by TheRev »
Old Popsider wrote:
Superspy wrote:

Mind you, in all honesty I don't want us to go up - not yet anyway. We simply are not prepared on or off the pitch. Staying in this division for a couple more season will get us a team that will be ready for the big leap up. The only thing to hold us back would be the KMS. It simply is not fit for purpose in the Premiership. I wouldn't like us to go up only to do a Hull. The more experience the team can get at this level the better really, perhaps in time the coffers might be big enough to allow SOD - if he's still here- to buy a really good striker force. Billy plus a couple more. Let's enjoy the dizzy heights we're at for a few seasons more. Along with the inevitable rollercoaster ride!! :woohoo:

I would - at least 2 seasons in the top flight.....

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 04, 2010, 02:10:24 pm by mutleyrover »
Superspy wrote:

If we aren't beating teams like Plymouth at home, we don't deserve to STAY up :blush:

The_Rooky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 04, 2010, 03:59:03 pm by The_Rooky »
Superspy wrote:

...have to agree with that. Not a top notch performance by any stretch of the imagination, but if you consider the saves their keeper made and Hayter's effort against the bar - we definately created enough to win.  And on another day, we would have won.  Given the performance, I would have taken a draw. Not sure Plymouth deserved a win - but that's football.  Just add this to the list of those games where we could/ should have taken something. I guess that's the difference between a 'good' and 'great' side.  If you take Newcastle for example - they've taken 6 points from us, when they could quite easily have just taken 1 (losing at SJP and drawing at the KMS) - surely that's what we need to try and emulate!

I'm sure SOD and ROK will be trying to instill that into our players at every given opportunity.

C'mon Rovers, the play-offs might just be beyond our reach this season, but lets finish on a good strong run-in!! RTID

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 04, 2010, 08:06:54 pm by Old Popsider »
silent_majority wrote:
Mind you, in all honesty I don't want us to go up - not yet anyway

Can't agree with this OP. I've been following the Rovers for 46 years and I want it to happen in my life time. Get a move on JR!!

Only 46 years! Pah, mere junior.................... I've been a DRFC tortured soul ever since seeing the Rovers lose 2-1 at home to Leeds in April 1956. I remember Dad sitting me on one of the rails you leaned against behind the goal at the Town End. Place was packed, or it seemed to be to me as a nipper.

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 04, 2010, 09:12:59 pm by Wokingviking »
Superspy wrote:
i couldnt see a drop of fans to figures less than what we have now? from a financial point of view, going up, and coming straight back down is much more beneficial than consolidating in this league for a few more years.

But it would kill morale around the club and the town if we \"fail\" for the first time in JR's tenure.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hull or Burnley drop straight into League 1.  Northampton Town dropped right from the top to the bottom in the 60's, Swansea did in the 80's.  And we have a similar background to those situations at the moment.

We need to establish ourselves at this level - build up a commercial infrastructure that matches (everyone complains that customer service is currently wanting), create ties with top-level clubs and agents in terms of getting loanees, free transfers etc, build a youth \"production line\" a bit like Crewe did (and Burnley in the 60's/70's)... which all takes time.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 05, 2010, 12:11:52 am by Old Popsider »
Wokingviking wrote:
Superspy wrote:

But it would kill morale around the club and the town if we \"fail\" for the first time in JR's tenure.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hull or Burnley drop straight into League 1.  Northampton Town dropped right from the top to the bottom in the 60's, Swansea did in the 80's.  And we have a similar background to those situations at the moment.

We need to establish ourselves at this level - build up a commercial infrastructure that matches (everyone complains that customer service is currently wanting), create ties with top-level clubs and agents in terms of getting loanees, free transfers etc, build a youth \"production line\" a bit like Crewe did (and Burnley in the 60's/70's)... which all takes time.

Agreed Woking, good points

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 05, 2010, 01:58:38 am by RobTheRover »
Wokingviking wrote:
Superspy wrote:

To be fair, Woking, the financial benefits on offer these days means you cannot really compare clubs falling from the top division then and now.  Everything is stacked in their favour to bounce straight back up, including the ludicrous parachute payments scheme, which is just an way that clubs can keep their top players on Prem wages, rather than building a relegation clause into their wage structure.

Take Burnley for example.  They have spent relatively little, and will no doubt be banking as much as they can every week.  Add the Para payments on for next season, and I firmly expect them to be promoted again in 12 months time.  Thats exactly the model the Rovers would follow.  Enjoy the season, go down cash rich, and come back up again.  Slowly, over time, increase the wage budget from the increased income streams, and there is a real model of sustainable success.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012