Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:03:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Robbo weighing up options  (Read 3398 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Robbo weighing up options
« on May 06, 2010, 08:33:30 pm by Branton Rover »
Super Gareth Roberts hasn't gone anywhere yet he's in Spain weighing up his options from what I've heard Derby have offered him more money but we've offered the longer contract so it's finely balanced.  

Whatever happens I'd shake his hand & thank him for what he's helped us to achieve during his spell with us.  I'd be gutted should he leave but we'll get over it they'll be plenty of players looking for employment come end July.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bessacarrover

Re:Robbo weighing up options
« Reply #1 on May 06, 2010, 08:38:52 pm by bessacarrover »
and how do you know this???

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 06, 2010, 08:46:05 pm by phil o sophical »
not such a wise move letting McDaid go if Roberts does move

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 06, 2010, 09:01:54 pm by Drover »
Why?I don't think so,If Robbo does go Rovers will get a better left back than Mcdaid,infact its not beyond Sod getting a better player than Robbo in.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 06, 2010, 09:18:37 pm by dumbroofer »
ha ha ha on less wages ,better player and free .come on wake up n smell the coffee

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 06, 2010, 09:35:42 pm by Drover »
Who said it would be on less wages???It might be on less wages than what derby offer him but thats not going to stop Rovers getting a similar/better and more than likely younger player than Robbo even if its with wages more than he is offered.Just because Rovers wont offer him more wages does not say they will not offer other replacements more than he had.You like many fans miss understand that because they will not offer a player more to keep him does not mean they cannot or will not pay more wages to others.Rovers will only offer what they think he is worth/deserves and if he asks for more than what they think they can pay a replacement then they will not offer anymore whether you or the fans like it or not like the Greeny situation.Look at Mills and Wellens,Rovers replaced then with arguably with better players especially in Mills case even if it was a loan player,it shows they will do what's necessary when needed.
Oh and as for Smelling the coffee I can't stand it and don't touch it,Like SOD I prefere a good old cuppa TEA  :P  :laugh:

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 06, 2010, 09:39:45 pm by Drover »
Another point aswell,with McDaid gone If Robbo leaves,Rovers can look for a better player on higher wages if needed with the combined wages saved from both players.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 06, 2010, 09:40:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Either way, would be sad to see him go, but hey, that's football !

He's been a fantastic servant to the club and has been a model professional. What an example. He could have been overlooked as being 'too small' for the championship but no, Gareth rose to the occasion in more ways than one.

He's a terrier and does the basic defending very well. Something that one or two others could work on. An old fashioned type full back who also had a threat going forward. I would have liked him to get more of an opportunity at free kicks as we all know he scored some cracking goals.

Remember the game against Bradford, when Jermaine Johnson terrorised him in the first half. Different story in the second half when Gareth weighed him up and wouldn't let him get the better of him.

I hope he makes the right decision for himself. We know there are two sides to everything however, who could blame him for improving his bank balance !

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 06, 2010, 09:47:07 pm by Lesonthewest »
If Gareth goes i'm sure he will go with the best wishes of most fans, he is after all 32 & surely will take the financial offer rather than the footballing one at this stage of his career. He didn't have the best of starts at Rovers regarding form & injuries, but without doubt he has been absolutely outstanding this season. Wether he can replicate his form with Derby remains to be seen, but he is another player in my opinion that their improvement should be down to a certain Sean O'Driscoll. Good luck Gareth, though I dare say you won't enjoy your football as much.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 06, 2010, 09:50:09 pm by Drover »
Agreed,Don't misunderstand me,I would love him to stay and also understand if he left.I just disagree that letting McDaid was a mistake.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 06, 2010, 09:52:00 pm by dumbroofer »
they cannot with a transfer fee involved replace robbo with like for like or better and sign sharp n shacks oster hayter ward and whoever .before the season ended myself and a few others were of the mind one or two additions to what we have and we would/could be pushing for a playoff berth .hope im wrong but apart from wilson resigning the other players may be off to pastures new ...

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 06, 2010, 10:04:20 pm by vaya »
Were you morale officer on the Titanic in a former life?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 06, 2010, 10:50:59 pm by Drover »
Branton Rover wrote:
Super Gareth Roberts hasn't gone anywhere yet he's in Spain weighing up his options from what I've heard Derby have offered him more money but we've offered the longer contract so it's finely balanced.  

Whatever happens I'd shake his hand & thank him for what he's helped us to achieve during his spell with us.  I'd be gutted should he leave but we'll get over it they'll be plenty of players looking for employment come end July.

If he is in spain he has gone without his missus,I know his wife was not in Spain today,and I doubt he would go without his family so I don't believe this post to be true.

Wello

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 07, 2010, 09:05:02 am by Wello »
He could be in talks with a la liga top side lol :laugh:  :laugh:

I think as harsh as it sounds, we need to build for the future so I would welcome in a younger new full back, im sure SOD's targetting a couple of full backs somewhere but as always it will be kept quiet until the last minute. But if Robbo does go it wont be without many thanks for his effort and commiment over the years, hes been the model pro for us. Hard decision more money, or similar deal with a longer contact. But either way Good luck to the fella.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 07, 2010, 11:54:43 am by CusworthRovers »
Tis a strange one this.

Some observations

I would suggest there are many CCC clubs who will be slashing their wage bills and many players will want to leave to keep their incomes high. These clubs will be looking at cheapish players who are good seasoned, proven CCC players and can do exactly the same but on a lot less money. Now are there any players that fit this description and which club are they at?

Derby have always targetted Robbo in every game we have played them (I agree, they have targetted his height more than anything), and now they want to sign him.

If Robbo go's (then again, like Heffs), I love him and for what he's done and he's Mr Consistent, solid etc etc, but I am sure SOD has a target and if he brings in a big/tall powerful athletic left back that he can mould, then I'm a happy bunny, and Robbo will become a happy memory of what we once had.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 07, 2010, 12:16:48 pm by Mike_F »
Drover wrote:

If he is in spain he has gone without his missus,I know his wife was not in Spain today,and I doubt he would go without his family so I don't believe this post to be true.

Gaz is a keen golfer, perhaps he's gone on a lads' mini-break to play a few rounds and sink a beer or two.

Only conjecture but Nicky's usually a reliable source. Hopefully we'll get some news at the dinner-dance tonight.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012