Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:04:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR on Sharp bid  (Read 17253 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re:JR on Sharp bid
« Reply #30 on May 20, 2010, 07:36:42 pm by not on facebook »
i see this two ways either rovers are pushing the boat out to sign sharp,hence to say
another higher bid will follow

or deep down inside rovers allready know they have lost the fight to sign sharp,
so drfc put in the 'highest bid' in clubs history to sign a player as a sign that they tried their upmost to get sharp on board

which in turn the rovers fans will not complain as at least rovers gave it their best attempt,then move on towards plan b.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 20, 2010, 07:45:40 pm by Drover »
Does anyone know how much our bid that was accepted for Shackell was?Point being JR says our offer for Sharp was certainly the biggest in the clubs history so it much have been more than what Shackell cost.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 20, 2010, 07:46:51 pm by MrFrost »
JR has pretty much stated we will not be following this up. Thats what worrys me. One bid, declines and its finished. Wheres haggling, negotiating. It appears very negative.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 20, 2010, 07:46:56 pm by Barmby Rover »
donvicks wrote:
Thats it then. He has single handed kept us up this season and now if donny cant afford what i would say is about 500k for a striker then we are never gonna get a striker who scores more than about 5 goals.I cant think of a 100-300k striker that would get more. you pay for what u get imho.
 :angry:

I never knew that we only had one player all season!  :unsure: So Jimmy, Sulli, Woods Stock Gareth etc never did anything? Ah well, let's all get on the money for relegation! What a stupid thing to say, we have a TEAM that nearly got us in the playoffs, not one player.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 20, 2010, 07:54:52 pm by Drover »
MrFrost wrote:
JR has pretty much stated we will not be following this up. Thats what worrys me. One bid, declines and its finished. Wheres haggling, negotiating. It appears very negative.

He also said we will have to wait and see what happens? so it may not be totally over.  :(

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #35 on May 20, 2010, 08:00:03 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Drover wrote:
Does anyone know how much our bid that was accepted for Shackell was?Point being JR says our offer for Sharp was certainly the biggest in the clubs history so it much have been more than what Shackell cost.

I read somewhere that Barnsley got Shackell for 300k. If that's true or not, I don't know.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 20, 2010, 08:01:01 pm by selby »
Mr Frost you seem to have all the ambition in the world with someone elses money.Dont put everyone else down because you are panicking. You are supporting the wrong club if you want big signings.
It takes time to build a club and over the last 10yrs we have done better than most and we have no way stopped yet with or without Billy.
Personally having seen both players play when they were at their best I think that getting Brooker fit and playing is more important but must admit both playing well would be better and only time will tell if we get Billy.
At least we are in the swim on this one and may be more of a problem to other interested teams than most people think.
We have made a move lets wait and see who else is in the game before laying down and blaming the Rovers Board like you do all the time.
If we dont get him it is not the end of the world and when we do get someone it will be because the managment who many of us trust think that they can do a job for us.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 20, 2010, 08:08:55 pm by Barmby Rover »
A good post selby, and a good call. BS was never going to be easy to keep, and it isn't a disaster if he doesn't come, there are always alternatives, and i would be amazed if SOD and JR have not got several other options for replacements for Heffs, which is what we are really talking about.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 20, 2010, 08:37:58 pm by hoolahoop »
MrFrost wrote:
SouthEastStandBarmyArmy wrote:
Put it this way, next season were gunna have the 3rd maybe even 2nd lowest attendance in the league, and our season ticket sales are more than likely gonna drop again this season (for the second season in a row), unless the board take a huge risk, or season tickets increase rapidly in the next couple of months, You CANNOT expect the board to go out and spend millions on players, whoever it is. Were a tiny fish in a big pond, enjoy it while were here ROVERS TILL I DIE

All about ambition, and we have none.

You obviously haven't been around for the last 40+ years to make such a ridiculous statement.
We have made rapid advances over the last few years and each step becomes harder and harder both structurally and financially. Do you seriously believe we have lacked ambition , if so then you've been walking around with your eyes shut.
The advances we have made over the last 6/7 years have been huge and the financial strain on our major benefactor/s equally so, please respect what we all have achieved through this period; an advance made out of pure AMBITION.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #39 on May 20, 2010, 08:46:47 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Wellred wrote:
wilts rover wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
The gap the board have to plug will be alot bigger because of the poor season ticket sales.
I'm predicting around 5500 to be sold by the beginning of next season. This will then be used as the reason why we haven't invested more in the squad.
The only way the board were going to see high season ticket sales was to spend big in the summer. This cant/wont happen, and ultimately the fans will get the blame.

And your evidence for that is? At the end of last season when we were still chasing for the play-offs we could only manage around 10k home fans for games against Sheff U & Newcastle. Were are these mythical 'high season ticket sales' going to come from? Last season we had 7-8k season tickets - Derby had 28k.
I predict that if we buy Billy Sharp it will put 0 on season ticket sales. IMO the only way to increase season tickets would be drop prices. But I am sure you would still find something else to moan about.
And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

Actually I think you might find if you look back through previous posts (and I believe you are an expert at doing this) you might find that the KM2 are not fans.

If they are not fans then doesn't that make it even more special what they are doing for OUR club?

PS Don't look a gift horse in the mouth  :angry:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 20, 2010, 08:52:06 pm by Wellred »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
Wellred wrote:
wilts rover wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
The gap the board have to plug will be alot bigger because of the poor season ticket sales.
I'm predicting around 5500 to be sold by the beginning of next season. This will then be used as the reason why we haven't invested more in the squad.
The only way the board were going to see high season ticket sales was to spend big in the summer. This cant/wont happen, and ultimately the fans will get the blame.

And your evidence for that is? At the end of last season when we were still chasing for the play-offs we could only manage around 10k home fans for games against Sheff U & Newcastle. Were are these mythical 'high season ticket sales' going to come from? Last season we had 7-8k season tickets - Derby had 28k.
I predict that if we buy Billy Sharp it will put 0 on season ticket sales. IMO the only way to increase season tickets would be drop prices. But I am sure you would still find something else to moan about.
And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

Actually I think you might find if you look back through previous posts (and I believe you are an expert at doing this) you might find that the KM2 are not fans.

If they are not fans then doesn't that make it even more special what they are doing for OUR club?

PS Don't look a gift horse in the mouth  :angry:[/quote

Who is looking a gift horse in the moth? Simply pointing out Wilts Rovers inaccuracies.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 20, 2010, 08:53:19 pm by MrFrost »
hoolahoop wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
Put it this way, next season were gunna have the 3rd maybe even 2nd lowest attendance in the league, and our season ticket sales are more than likely gonna drop again this season (for the second season in a row), unless the board take a huge risk, or season tickets increase rapidly in the next couple of months, You CANNOT expect the board to go out and spend millions on players, whoever it is. Were a tiny fish in a big pond, enjoy it while were here ROVERS TILL I DIE

You obviously haven't been around for the last 40+ years to make such a ridiculous statement.
We have made rapid advances over the last few years and each step becomes harder and harder both structurally and financially. Do you seriously believe we have lacked ambition , if so then you've been walking around with your eyes shut.
The advances we have made over the last 6/7 years have been huge and the financial strain on our major benefactor/s equally so, please respect what we all have achieved through this period; an advance made out of pure AMBITION.

At 27 I obviously haven't been around for 40 years.
I'm not questioning what we have achieved in recent times, but my opinion is that the board didn't realise how difficult it would be at this level, and there is no real ambition for where we go now.

We spend little more now on transfer fee's than we did in our Conference days, and even though we have papered over the cracks, we can't continue to operate like that at this level if we do want to stay here and establish ourselves.

It has been said we are indeed small fry at this level. Its been mentioned before what the choices are.

1. Do nothing and continue to live from free signings and loanee's and do our best to survive.

2. Make a statement and intent and go for it, spend a couple of million and take a gamble.

Even Scunthorpe are able to pay more in transfer fee's, or at least they did last season.

Its not an easy decision, but we are in a unique position that I believe we will only be in once. Why not go for it? I know if I was one of the KM2 with 400+ million, I wouldn;t think twice of investing say 5 million for new players. That is me however, I wouldn;t expect everyone to do the same.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #42 on May 20, 2010, 09:00:21 pm by topnotch_Donny »
MrFrost wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

I'm not questioning what we have achieved in recent times, but my opinion is that the board didn't realise how difficult it would be at this level, and there is no real ambition for where we go now.

We spend little more now on transfer fee's than we did in our Conference days, and even though we have papered over the cracks, we can't continue to operate like that at this level if we do want to stay here and establish ourselves.

It has been said we are indeed small fry at this level. Its been mentioned before what the choices are.

1. Do nothing and continue to live from free signings and loanee's and do our best to survive.

2. Make a statement and intent and go for it, spend a couple of million and take a gamble.

Even Scunthorpe are able to pay more in transfer fee's, or at least they did last season.

Its not an easy decision, but we are in a unique position that I believe we will only be in once. Why not go for it? I know if I was one of the KM2 with 400+ million, I wouldn;t think twice of investing say 5 million for new players. That is me however, I wouldn;t expect everyone to do the same.

It’s not all about the transfer fee though. In league one, we had a wage bill of around £3 million, and that was in the period that we bought our record transfer fee.

We now have doubled our wage bill from League one, god know how much bigger the wage bill is now compared to our conference days were we did spend a large wedge on a couple of transfer fees, but the wage bill was very low and manageable back then.

These days we can’t afford big fee and wages, its one or the other hence loans and freebies as there isn’t many players out there with a large fee and low wage.

So forget the fee, think of what we spend on salaries

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 20, 2010, 09:05:56 pm by Wellred »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

It’s not all about the transfer fee though. In league one, we had a wage bill of around £3 million, and that was in the period that we bought our record transfer fee.

We now have doubled our wage bill from League one, god know how much bigger the wage bill is now compared to our conference days were we did spend a large wedge on a couple of transfer fees, but the wage bill was very low and manageable back then.

These days we can’t afford big fee and wages, its one or the other hence loans and freebies as there isn’t many players out there with a large fee and low wage.

Whilst we all acknowledge that the wage bill etc has increased considerably but you seem to have conveniently missed pointing out that income has also increased considerably.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 20, 2010, 09:10:24 pm by hoolahoop »
Good point and it has , I noticed further up the thread correlation only between wages and ST sales whilst ignoring all other income streams.
Obviously any argument must have balance.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #45 on May 20, 2010, 09:11:48 pm by topnotch_Donny »
Wellred wrote:
topnotch_Donny wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

Whilst we all acknowledge that the wage bill etc has increased considerably but you seem to have conveniently missed pointing out that income has also increased considerably.

I did earlier in page one of this thread write.

\"We already operate at £2-3 million deficits (before player sales) based on previous accounts. We get more income now with the new TV deals, but that is basically balanced out because of the wage inflation.\"

Here was the post in full...

We operate at huge loss as it stands though. The annual wage Bill is to creep over the £7 million mark soon, so can the board really afford, or take the risk in such a tight league were nothings guaranteed especially survival?

What would happen if Sharps goals never got us up, or his goals never kept us up?

We already operate at £2-3 million deficits (before player sales) based on previous accounts. We get more income now with the new TV deals, but that is basically balanced out because of the wage inflation.

Billy will cost the board over a million in wage and fee. This will more than likely bring the deficit to £4 million which is a huge gap to plug.

If we get Billy, we would need to go for broke and try to get straight upto the premiership within Sharps contract structure to make it pay; however, we all know football doesn’t go to plan, and we could quite easily land up in league one with or without Billy.

If the plan is to consolidate then is Billy worth the fee and wage? I think not. Also would we be able to tie him down to a longish contract to make it worth it, and give us a chance to sell him on, before his contract would expire.

He wouldn’t be much good to us unless we could tie him down to atleast a three year contract. That way, we would have ample time to flog him, to recover some cash back; however, will Billy want tying down to a lengthy contract?

I will get behind the board whatever they do because they have the clubs best interests at heart, and they have already done more than enough for this club…IMHO.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #46 on May 20, 2010, 09:16:01 pm by topnotch_Donny »
hoolahoop wrote:
Good point and it has , I noticed further up the thread correlation only between wages and ST sales whilst ignoring all other income streams.

If you look at the clubs accounts, we run at multi million pound loses, did we in previous seasons? I bet it cost more to live in the CCC than it does any other fl division.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 20, 2010, 09:21:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
My guess is we offered Blades somewhere around 500K plus add ons and have done some homework on what Billy would accept as a wage/length of contract.

I have no doubt, other clubs will match/improve on that offer however, there's no point getting in to a bidding war that we can't win !

I'm sure Billy would love to come to Rovers and would regard it a a shame that we can't match the wages he's being offered by other clubs.

Let's not forget, some clubs can offer the world to players, but I doesn't mean they will get paid every week. Just ask Portsmouth and Palace players !

Bill has to weigh up his options. We have to weigh up our alternatives.

As much as I would love him to sign, for 500/600K and 8 to 10 grand a week, I'd love a player to be able to use both feet !!

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 20, 2010, 09:23:13 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
You are right topnotch.  The question for comparison could be, a) do we continue to have Directors funding at a rate of, say, 40% of the running costs, or b) do we continue to have directors funding the £100,000 they put in each year at conference level?

The figures are just hypothetical for the sake of argument.  If you take a) as the argument, then we clearly have 'no ambition' in the words of Mr Frost.   However, if you use the second method, then the ambition is enormous and has probably increased ten fold or more.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 20, 2010, 09:23:42 pm by hoolahoop »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:

If you look at the clubs accounts, we run at multi million pound loses, did we in previous seasons? I bet it cost more to live in the CCC than it does any other fl division.

I'm not advocating a massive spending spree only that the argument has balance. Has anybody got a link to these complete accounts as there seems to be alot of supposedly accurate figures bandied about here............a link would be helpful please.  ;)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 20, 2010, 09:25:11 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
My guess is we offered Blades somewhere around 500K plus add ons and have done some homework on what Billy would accept as a wage/length of contract.

I've seen, in a few places, Blades fans suggesting a figure in the region of £750,000

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 20, 2010, 09:25:45 pm by wilts rover »
Wellred wrote:
[And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

Actually I think you might find if you look back through previous posts (and I believe you are an expert at doing this) you might find that the KM2 are not fans.[/quote]

Who is looking a gift horse in the moth? Simply pointing out Wilts Rovers inaccuracies.[/quote]

Since when has a question been an inaccuracy?

Watson looks quite chuffed when Brian Stock is standing next to him waving the Play-off trophy around on the Wembley DVD - or are you telling me that it is actually the KM2 who have been booing Mark Wilson & Lewis Guy all season

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #52 on May 20, 2010, 09:27:52 pm by topnotch_Donny »
hoolahoop wrote:
topnotch_Donny wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:

I'm not advocating a massive spending spree only that the argument has balance. Has anybody got a link to these complete accounts as there seems to be alot of supposedly accurate figures bandied about here............a link would be helpful please.  ;)

I am not talking about a massive spree either, we lose multi millions (before player sales) as it stands now.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 20, 2010, 09:35:37 pm by hoolahoop »
Razor sharp as ever Wilts :)

jw2

« Reply #54 on May 20, 2010, 09:39:08 pm by jw2 »
well goodbye billy.

:(

listening to john ryan it sounds like we have offered all we are prepared to give.
bye bye billy.
bye bye another 2000 st holders.   :angry:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 20, 2010, 09:39:25 pm by Wellred »
wilts rover wrote:
Wellred wrote:
[And are JR & KM2 not fans then?

Who is looking a gift horse in the moth? Simply pointing out Wilts Rovers inaccuracies.[/quote]

Since when has a question been an inaccuracy?

Watson looks quite chuffed when Brian Stock is standing next to him waving the Play-off trophy around on the Wembley DVD - or are you telling me that it is actually the KM2 who have been booing Mark Wilson & Lewis Guy all season[/quote]

I have sat in the west stand since the first game and in all truth I have yet to hear anyone booing either Wilson or Guy.

Maybe its because the KM2 sit in the east stand I haven't heard them then. :P  :P  :P

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #56 on May 20, 2010, 09:43:36 pm by topnotch_Donny »
jw2 wrote:
well goodbye billy.

:(

listening to john ryan it sounds like we have offered all we are prepared to give.
bye bye billy.
bye bye another 2000 st holders.   :angry:

I doubt it will affect the crowds that much, and even if 2k paid 400 pound each for a season ticket, it would only amount to 800k. If buying sharp put 5k on the st books then fair enough, but come on, it would just add to the already crippling debt as it stands.

jw2

« Reply #57 on May 20, 2010, 09:45:49 pm by jw2 »
i have it on very good authority he wants to stay in yorkshire.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 20, 2010, 09:50:13 pm by Wellred »
I have it on very good authority that the moon is made of green cheese.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #59 on May 20, 2010, 09:53:19 pm by topnotch_Donny »
jw2 wrote:
i have it on very good authority he wants to stay in yorkshire.

That rules out Hull & Boro then  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012