Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:39:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Interesting- RE Kennedy Deal!!  (Read 2843 times)

paddymacca

• Forum Member
Interesting- RE Kennedy Deal!!
« on June 11, 2010, 07:41:46 pm by paddymacca »
Rovers

Did someone mouthing off cost us the Kennedy deal?

ROK seems to think something cost us.
Interesting.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re:Interesting- RE Kennedy Deal!!
« Reply #1 on June 11, 2010, 08:13:15 pm by Donnywolf »
... we seem to have been really good at signing people seemingly out of the blue ... but surely most players have (dreaded) Agents

They will pick up a percentage of the \"fee / deal\" and so if in this case Rovers try to sign Kennedy I would if had been his agent alert as many other possible clubs with a view to screwing a bit more money out of the \"new\" Club for the transfer and wages for the Player

Once you hook a second Club you try for a third and so on. I am sure that the Shackell deal went exactly thus

Its a no shit sherlock comment I know

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 11, 2010, 08:26:09 pm by mushRTID »
If he was approaching the end of his contract am I right in assuming we could have negotiated with him since January?

If thats the case and we wanted him, why didnt we try and get him signed up early? I remember reading only a few weeks ago we were interested but hadnt made an offer, why not?

I understand we might not have know Robbo was going to leave but id bet SOD had a good idea he was going to release McDaid. Maybe we need to be a little more ruthless when it comes to getting new players in. We could have got in early then leicester would not have been able to come in with 'silly money'.

Im sure we will get a good left back in, but by all accounts this lad has a good future ahead of him and it feels like we have missed out due to waiting too long.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 11, 2010, 09:04:11 pm by hoolahoop »
mushRTID wrote:
If he was approaching the end of his contract am I right in assuming we could have negotiated with him since January?

If thats the case and we wanted him, why didnt we try and get him signed up early? I remember reading only a few weeks ago we were interested but hadnt made an offer, why not?

I understand we might not have know Robbo was going to leave but id bet SOD had a good idea he was going to release McDaid. Maybe we need to be a little more ruthless when it comes to getting new players in. We could have got in early then leicester would not have been able to come in with 'silly money'.

Im sure we will get a good left back in, but by all accounts this lad has a good future ahead of him and it feels like we have missed out due to waiting too long.

Am I right in thinking that we are still trying to sell the club to players as a nice family club, with great facilities and nice people running it ? Meanwhile all this is meaningless to the 'fatcat' players and their agents, who are just looking at the weekly wage regardless of whether it will enhance the careers of their charges/themselves in the long term.
Greed generally is the game and £'s now supercede any charm offensive that we bring into our negotiations with players. Agents are now touting their players around like whores looking for the fattest wallets and have no interest if the clients have sexually transmitted diseases.
We need to be hard in this market and close the deals quickly not give them lots of time to think it over and tout it around!!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 11, 2010, 09:10:14 pm by mushRTID »
hoolahoop wrote:
mushRTID wrote:

Am I right in thinking that we are still trying to sell the club to players as a nice family club, with great facilities and nice people running it ? Meanwhile all this is meaningless to the 'fatcat' players and their agents, who are just looking at the weekly wage regardless of whether it will enhance the careers of their charges/themselves in the long term.
Greed generally is the game and £'s now supercede any charm offensive that we bring into our negotiations with players. Agents are now touting their players around like whores looking for the fattest wallets and have no interest if the clients have sexually transmitted diseases.
We need to be hard in this market and close the deals quickly not give them lots of time to think it over and tout it around!!

Exactly. Ruthless! Why not make him an offer and pressure him to make a decision. Why not? I bet other teams do, it seems as though we are too nice. Telling Mark Wilson to go and talk to other clubs. Not ruthless, that could have gone wrong.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 11, 2010, 10:11:12 pm by Wellred »
But don't forget SOD had no idea what his budget was right up until the end of the season did he?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 11, 2010, 11:18:23 pm by Drover »
Forgive me if im wrong but did'nt SOD himself say in the papers we have spoken to Tom Kennedy and told him we are in the market for a left back and left it at that.??

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 11, 2010, 11:20:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
mushRTID wrote:

Telling Mark Wilson to go and talk to other clubs. Not ruthless, that could have gone wrong.

It did didn't it?

Retracted Your Honour, retracted.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 11, 2010, 11:37:01 pm by mushRTID »
Fair point  :laugh:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 12, 2010, 01:04:43 am by CusworthRovers »
Get that ginger lad in further up the road from Rochdale. They owe us after one of our players helped them stave off relegation last season. A decent 150k offer should do the trick.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 12, 2010, 07:30:49 am by Donnywolf »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Get that ginger lad in further up the road from Rochdale.

The Ginger WIGANger ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 12, 2010, 08:03:12 am by The Red Baron »
mushRTID wrote:

I've been saying this for ages. We wait far too long before thinking about signings. Imagine if at the end of the season we'd gone to Kennedy, offered him higher-grade football and (probably) a substantial increase in wages and then asked him for a quick decision \"as we were looking at other players.\" I think we would have landed our fish.

Then again, if back in January we'd offered Robbo the contract extension his performances warranted, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think back to the summer of 2006 when we were really quick out of the traps. Everyone remembers Horlock and Dyer, but forgets that we signed three players- O'Connor, Roberts and Lockwood- who have been magnificent servants to the club. Just because the medical systems we had in place then failed to pick up injury problems in two players doesn't mean the strategy we employed then was wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012