Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:27:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Two toots of a ragmans trumpet; that was us  (Read 5010 times)

philsky

• Forum Member
Two toots of a ragmans trumpet; that was us
« on July 07, 2010, 08:17:38 pm by philsky »
Speechless.

Hayes away 0-2.

Clock forward.

Billy Sharp 1.15m.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re:Two toots of a ragmans trumpet; that was us
« Reply #1 on July 07, 2010, 08:26:08 pm by RobTheRover »
Says it all that, Phil.

Still got that objet d'art for you in my garage!  Coming up for the WBA friendly, mate?

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 07, 2010, 08:26:36 pm by redrover19 »
philsky wrote:
Speechless.

Hayes away 0-2.

Clock forward.

Billy Sharp 1.15m.

WTF ?  :huh:

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 07, 2010, 08:33:14 pm by philsky »
I was present to see fat boy Southall and our lads huff and puff to a 2-0 defeat away at Hayes. We were dreadful; maybe not as bad as 1-1 away at Welling though.

Also at the Orient drubbing and countless other dreadful events pretending to be football matches.

Today, I am speechless.

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 07, 2010, 09:34:42 pm by Mark DRFC »
redrover19 wrote:
philsky wrote:
Speechless.

Hayes away 0-2.

Clock forward.

Billy Sharp 1.15m.

WTF ?  :huh:

Back in the day before all the glory we used to play in what was known as non league, they were one of the teams who played and beat us back then!!!

Kids eh?
 :P

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 07, 2010, 09:47:31 pm by graingrover »
and losing 2-0 at Sutton United ! Mike Newell out injured having dropped his wallet on his foot and Ian Snodin coming on in second half despite being unfit to try to put some quality into our mediocre Conference performers.He ran and ran and sprayed the ball  into channels but no one was sharp enough to read his passes .What a magical transformation!I will be doing the same journey from Brussels to matches home and away but what a different spectacle when I get there !

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 07, 2010, 09:51:48 pm by DMnumber4 »
Telford away on that friday night or the 4-4 draw. Losing 1-0 at Stalybridge  :huh:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 07, 2010, 09:53:15 pm by Filo »
graingrover wrote:
and losing 2-0 at Sutton United ! Mike Newell out injured having dropped his wallet on his foot and Ian Snodin coming on in second half despite being unfit to try to put some quality into our mediocre Conference performers.He ran and ran and sprayed the ball  into channels but no one was sharp enough to read his passes .What a magical transformation!I will be doing the same journey from Brussels to matches home and away but what a different spectacle when I get there !

Was that Billy`s old man then  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 07, 2010, 10:28:14 pm by PDX_Rover »
You couldn't script it eh?  From coffin carrying to buying 1m players.  You do have to pinch yourself sometimes.

There were 10 of us living in a septic tank in the middle of the A1.

LUXURY.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #9 on July 07, 2010, 10:33:08 pm by GM-MarkB »
DMnumber4 wrote:
Telford away on that friday night or the 4-4 draw. Losing 1-0 at Stalybridge  :huh:

Ahh yes Stalybridge away...was a Bank Holiday Monday as I recall. A packed away end which left the 3 men and a dog on the home terraces totally bemused. Don't think they'd ever seen that many people in their 'little' ground. I seem to remember big Neil missing a sitter with his head when it would have been so much easier to score.

But then, that was Campbell to a tee...the big lummox  ;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 08, 2010, 01:11:21 am by RobTheRover »
Ah, Clownshoes!

And to think, when his brother came in on loan, he was even shitter!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 08, 2010, 02:16:04 am by RobTheRover »
Rigoglioso wrote:

All in all, I think there's only ourselves, Yeovil Town & now Dagenham & Redbridge that have got out of the Conference and established ourselves big time in the Football League.

What about Barnet, Colchester, Carlisle, Burton, Wycombe, and Macclesfield?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 08, 2010, 06:05:12 am by roversdude »
anyone remember the announcement at Scarboro - that they were taking a minibus to an away game.
Always enjoyed playing them, calling at pub at the bottom of staxton hill

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 08, 2010, 08:42:59 am by DonnyNoel »
roversdude wrote:
anyone remember the announcement at Scarboro - that they were taking a minibus to an away game.

I recall that - think it was the FA Cup game at theirs the season after we got promoted from the conference.

Something like \"The supporters club are running a mini-bus to Leigh RMI, please see so-and-so for details\". Cue hilarity from the away end. I suppose (short term anyway) they had the last laugh, beating us 1-0 and going on to play Chelsea.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 08, 2010, 09:46:08 am by Rios »
DonnyNoel wrote:
roversdude wrote:

I recall that - think it was the FA Cup game at theirs the season after we got promoted from the conference.

Something like \"The supporters club are running a mini-bus to Leigh RMI, please see so-and-so for details\". Cue hilarity from the away end. I suppose (short term anyway) they had the last laugh, beating us 1-0 and going on to play Chelsea.

It's a crying shame what happened to them and it was so nearly us.  Whilst we were in the Conference it was one of the few games that was even remotely local and with my parents also living there it did mean quite a bit to me.  Add on that they absolutely detested us and it made them decent rivals.  You can never wind the clock back, but I hope one day that Scarborough get back into the town and get back to at least BSP level.

Rios

• VSC Member
Re:Two toots of a ragmans trumpet; that was us H
« Reply #15 on July 08, 2010, 09:51:24 am by Rios »
philsky wrote:
Speechless.

Hayes away 0-2.

Clock forward.

Billy Sharp 1.15m.

Was it Hayes with the bowl like terracing where you could walk all the way round?  A couple of our more \"lively\" lads had been causing trouble all day so halfway through the game the stewards rounded up as many Rovers fans as possible and segregated us... without any facilities like toilets or tea bar.  Madness!

Or Hednesford where they were charging £3 extra for no reason, so we all stopped at the turnstile and went in the home end instead... at which point they moved us into the away end...

Ah the good old, bad old days when we all thought Andy Watson was a good player!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 08, 2010, 02:41:50 pm by Drover »
Rigoglioso wrote:
RobTheRover wrote:
Rigoglioso wrote:

All in all, I think there's only ourselves, Yeovil Town & now Dagenham & Redbridge that have got out of the Conference and established ourselves big time in the Football League.

What about Barnet, Colchester, Carlisle, Burton, Wycombe, and Macclesfield?

True, they've all done well, Macclesfield & Colchester especially, but most of them weren't in the Conference when Rovers were - which is what I was focusing on when talking about the old teams we used to play against.

I would add Morcambe to that list and they did finish higher than Daggers last year.Its really changed in the lower leagues,when they re-introduced relegation and promotions between league and non-league the teams that went out usually came back-up straight away or not long after but now after a couple of decades it starting to have an affect causing alot of longterm changes.Sadly alot of teams go to the wall or drop well down the league to part time levels and it must be sad for alot of fans of those clubs involved but without it we and their fans would not be able to enjoy the rise of others like the ones you name above plus Stevenage and it has also allowed the returns of Aldershot and Accrington Stanley.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 08, 2010, 11:34:53 pm by Herman Hessian »
reminiscing about the conference days, eh ?

if you have a look here, there are links to a load of archived pages from the halcyon days of DFR1 - not all the links work, and most of the graphics are f**ked, but the content is still there

once you get a page or two loaded, you can still navigate round the site, so have a click or two and revisit the days where the travelling support at Northwich Victoria were referred to as a \"multitudinous red and white throng\", and when match reports on back to back christmas defeats to Scarborough didn't, errr, mince their words.....

enjoy !

:P

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 08, 2010, 11:50:57 pm by Herman Hessian »
meh !

Hednesford Town 2-4 Doncaster Rovers (24/03/2001)

i've not read (or written, for that matter) many match reports in my time that make pointed reference to cumming on thora hird's tits....

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 09, 2010, 06:53:18 am by Dagenham Rover »
I'll refrain from saying bring back \"Snatch of the Day\"  :)

used to love that site so politically incorrect!

How about this from the report Dagenham 2 Rovers 1 27th March 2001

\"Fran Tierney made his Rovers debut as a second half substitute, but didn't immediately come across as being the obvious answer to all our problems, not managing much apart from a couple of poorly hit crosses and some spectacularly voluble obscenities bellowed at the officials\"

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 09, 2010, 11:04:12 am by Mike_F »
Herman Hessian wrote:
meh !

Hednesford Town 2-4 Doncaster Rovers (24/03/2001)

i've not read (or written, for that matter) many match reports in my time that make pointed reference to cumming on thora hird's tits....

f**k me it were cold that day. Possibly the most exposed and windswept ground in the country - I wish I'd taken a coat! Watched the England v Finland game that evening in their clubhouse with Tim Ryan sinking a few jars.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 09, 2010, 01:53:28 pm by DMnumber4 »
Dagenham.Rover wrote:
I'll refrain from saying bring back \"Snatch of the Day\"  :)

used to love that site so politically incorrect!

How about this from the report Dagenham 2 Rovers 1 27th March 2001

\"Fran Tierney made his Rovers debut as a second half substitute, but didn't immediately come across as being the obvious answer to all our problems, not managing much apart from a couple of poorly hit crosses and some spectacularly voluble obscenities bellowed at the officials\"

I remember Doolan's debut at Woking. It was baking hot and he looked like he'd just stumbled out of a pie shop down the road to the back of the shed at the other side of the ground and declared he could ping a ball 40 yards.

all became apparent a year later  :)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 09, 2010, 07:58:23 pm by PDX_Rover »
Ahhhh Woking....  I remember on sunny day going there.  A couple of the rozzers looked like rejects from the Village People so a chorus of YMCA from some of us Rovers fans rang out...  good banter.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 10, 2010, 07:09:32 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Have a butchers at the player profiles. Comedy gold!

\"YOUNG\" ANDY WATSON - winger

Has made an excellent fist of combining his career at Rovers with a full time job playing Jack Sugden's adopted son in Emmerdale. Superstar status in both the footballing and acting worlds have not phased Young Andy, in spite of the fact that he gets two lots of gorgeous young groupies to deal with. Imagine that, dozens of young teenage girls, all smooth and firm skinned - most of them with those gorgeous little upturned breasts, but one or two who have got a head start on their friends with great big tits - fantastically firm and round. A heady mixture of innocence and youthful exuberance - ever curious to learn and experiment, exploring their growing sexuality with eager fingers - and, err, yes - other things about football and whatever. Phew.\"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012