Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:26:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62501 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #570 on February 23, 2021, 10:18:05 am by SydneyRover »
Which led me as to why, why are the areas where shellfish grow in the UK classed as polluted?

Human waste.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12560-017-9279-3

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #571 on February 23, 2021, 10:21:01 am by belton rover »
So there will an oyster shortage in Europe because they won’t want ours?

No.
So fewer people in Europe will want to eat Oysters?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #572 on February 23, 2021, 10:29:39 am by belton rover »
Which led me as to why, why are the areas where shellfish grow in the UK classed as polluted?

Human waste.

Another possible benefit of Brexit: we finally clean our rivers and coastlines up.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #573 on February 23, 2021, 12:02:41 pm by Not Now Kato »

Human waste.

Another possible benefit of Brexit: we finally clean our rivers and coastlines up.

Now that would seriously be a benefit, to the country as a whole.  Though it shouldn't need Brexit to drive it.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on February 23, 2021, 12:14:33 pm by belton rover »
I agree with you, it shouldn’t. It seems being part of the EU has made us complacent. We’ve ignored our poisonous waters because someone else can clean up the food we take from them.
Here’s to a much cleaner post-Brexit future for our children.

It make me wonder what else we will have to address now instead of brushing under the North Sea?

Gosh, the benefits could be endless!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:18:48 pm by belton rover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #575 on February 23, 2021, 01:01:37 pm by idler »
Where is the money coming from to pay for this cleansing though?
The government won't want to throw money at it, unless of course some of their cronies can tender for the work.
As someone who just wants the best for the UK whoever is in charge I see very little hope on the horizon.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #576 on February 23, 2021, 01:54:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

No.

No. Fewer people will be able to afford to eat them at the price that the British seafood sector can provide them.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #577 on February 23, 2021, 02:25:23 pm by belton rover »
So the EU have made a decision that will result in many of their members not being able to afford oysters and us having an excess of inedible oysters, whilst, presumably, the EU allows many of their own purification plants to become obsolete.

Sounds to me like they are cutting off our noses, and their members’ own noses to f**k everyone over.

Good riddance to such behaviour, I say.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #578 on February 23, 2021, 02:42:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No Belton. That is the whole point!

The EU hasn't done anything! WE, the UK, have chosen to leave the Single Market. That automatically makes us a "third country" and automatically we are treated as one. As a third country, we have opted out if the arrangement whereby fish can be caught in Class B waters and shipped somewhere else in the SM to be purified.

WE have chosen to do that. But the Govt and right wing press are spinning this as the EU unfairly imposing regulations. Your post suggest that spin is working.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #579 on February 23, 2021, 03:12:09 pm by belton rover »
But it is still a ‘you left, so tough titties’ attitude, which is their prerogative of course. But surely, if they had their members’ best interests at heart, they would still want to give them all the opportunity to eat affordable oysters.
Two things that haven’t changed in all this are the oysters and the Europeans who want to eat them.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #580 on February 23, 2021, 03:18:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

No.

No, the EU will supply more to fulfil the demand. Economics 101. Try learning some.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #581 on February 23, 2021, 03:20:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Human waste.

There was nothing stopping us doing so when in the EU so I doubt it.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #582 on February 23, 2021, 03:24:39 pm by Not Now Kato »
No Belton. That is the whole point!

The EU hasn't done anything! WE, the UK, have chosen to leave the Single Market. That automatically makes us a "third country" and automatically we are treated as one. As a third country, we have opted out if the arrangement whereby fish can be caught in Class B waters and shipped somewhere else in the SM to be purified.

WE have chosen to do that. But the Govt and right wing press are spinning this as the EU unfairly imposing regulations. Your post suggest that spin is working.

Unfortunately BST, this is something Brexiters completely fail to understand.  All the problems being experienced both here and in the EU are entirely of OUR doing!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #583 on February 23, 2021, 03:32:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not sure which part of this you're not getting Belton.

WE opted out of the SM.

The ClassB --> Purification in another country thing only works for countries in the SM.

You seem to be saying that it is the fault of the EU that our fish are now exported to the EU from a country outside the SM, and are treated as such.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #584 on February 23, 2021, 03:39:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
But it is still a ‘you left, so tough titties’ attitude, which is their prerogative of course. But surely, if they had their members’ best interests at heart, they would still want to give them all the opportunity to eat affordable oysters.
Two things that haven’t changed in all this are the oysters and the Europeans who want to eat them.

They will get affordable oysters, just not from the UK because our prices go up due to OUR decision, not theirs.

Neither are they copping an attitude. They are treating us exactly the same as any other non-EU country. That's what we wanted after all, apparently we knew what we were voting for. The EU are looking after their own best interests - especially those of their own oyster producers and through them ultimately the EU consumers.

The only 'attitude' on display is from those cakeists who can't believe the UK isn't somehow being treated as special case.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #585 on February 23, 2021, 03:44:41 pm by belton rover »

No.

No, the EU will supply more to fulfil the demand. Economics 101. Try learning some.
Absolutely no need for that Glyn. It’s that kind of superior arrogance that causes such divides. If you want debate with economists only, you’re in the wrong group.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #586 on February 23, 2021, 03:47:27 pm by Axholme Lion »
The bitter remainers still view the EU as their friends . They are not our friends as evidenced with the covid scenario with the Irish border. They are an inward looking protectionist racket, who as each year goes by will become less important.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #587 on February 23, 2021, 03:54:46 pm by belton rover »

They will get affordable oysters, just not from the UK because our prices go up due to OUR decision, not theirs.

Neither are they copping an attitude. They are treating us exactly the same as any other non-EU country. That's what we wanted after all, apparently we knew what we were voting for. The EU are looking after their own best interests - especially those of their own oyster producers and through them ultimately the EU consumers.

The only 'attitude' on display is from those cakeists who can't believe the UK isn't somehow being treated as special case.

How are they looking after their own oyster producers?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #588 on February 23, 2021, 04:06:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

By not giving special status to a non-EU supplier.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #589 on February 23, 2021, 04:06:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

No.

Absolutely no need for that Glyn. It’s that kind of superior arrogance that causes such divides. If you want debate with economists only, you’re in the wrong group.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/160660/economics/explaining-supply-and-demand-2/

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #590 on February 23, 2021, 04:49:49 pm by belton rover »
Glyn. I am asking lots of questions so I do have a better understanding of the economics. Hopefully in a balanced manner.
But in answer to your question, I expected a bit better, even from you.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #591 on February 23, 2021, 05:04:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
And I was advising you to get a better understanding of economics for yourself. I even posted a link for you. To expect others to answer your own questions instead of expecting other people to spoonfeed it to you. Perhaps you should follow your own link.

Unfortunately, I wasn't expecting better of you. And so it transpired.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #592 on February 23, 2021, 05:13:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'd question the elasticity of oysters though to be fair....

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #593 on February 23, 2021, 05:30:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
They're not inelastic, no, but that makes it worse for the UK suppliers as the EU are therefore more likely to turn towards other cheaper alternative.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #594 on February 23, 2021, 05:41:05 pm by MachoMadness »
The oysters I've had were too elastic, if anything. Like snotty rubber. Never again.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #595 on February 23, 2021, 05:42:42 pm by belton rover »

By not giving special status to a non-EU supplier.

I still don’t understand how this shows they are looking after ‘their own’.

Britain sold oysters to mainland Europe, presumably because there was a market for it.
Mainland Europe had (have) purification plants that purify our polluted oysters.
So now, there are no British oysters for Europe to consume and there are no British oysters to go through their purifying plants. It seems to me that there will be lots of ‘their own’ doing without oysters, possibly resulting in higher prices, and their will be lots of purifying plant workers being made redundant.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #596 on February 23, 2021, 05:46:37 pm by belton rover »
And I was advising you to get a better understanding of economics for yourself. I even posted a link for you. To expect others to answer your own questions instead of expecting other people to spoonfeed it to you. Perhaps you should follow your own link.

Unfortunately, I wasn't expecting better of you. And so it transpired.

Got it. No more questions.
Why didn’t someone think of that earlier?

Shit. Another question.
Can you forgive me?
Shit, shit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #597 on February 23, 2021, 06:13:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

Once again. It is because we are not in the Single Market. There is no me hanism for the EU to accept non Class A water seafood from ANY third country.

And yes, this does result in a minor inconvenience to European consumers of oysters. But there has been a consistent line from the EU since the vote. The resilience of the SM is of FAR more importance to the countries of the EU than any minor inconveniences. So they will not allow third countries to pick and choose preferential bits of the SM to buy into. It is all or nothing. We chose nothing. OUR choice. The consequences are consequences of our making, not the EUs.

It is fascinating that some of us have been making this case now for 5 years. We used to get the response that it was all a negotiating stance and the EU would give us special terms when push came to shove. Now the line is that the EU is imposing unfair and punitive penalties on us. Or that they are being unfair in not giving us a preferential deal. Does no-one on the Brexit-supporting side ever stop and think that they have called this wrong every step of the way?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #598 on February 23, 2021, 06:48:17 pm by belton rover »
Belton.

Once again. It is because we are not in the Single Market. There is no me hanism for the EU to accept non Class A water seafood from ANY third country.

And yes, this does result in a minor inconvenience to European consumers of oysters. But there has been a consistent line from the EU since the vote. The resilience of the SM is of FAR more importance to the countries of the EU than any minor inconveniences. So they will not allow third countries to pick and choose preferential bits of the SM to buy into. It is all or nothing. We chose nothing. OUR choice. The consequences are consequences of our making, not the EUs.

It is fascinating that some of us have been making this case now for 5 years. We used to get the response that it was all a negotiating stance and the EU would give us special terms when push came to shove. Now the line is that the EU is imposing unfair and punitive penalties on us. Or that they are being unfair in not giving us a preferential deal. Does no-one on the Brexit-supporting side ever stop and think that they have called this wrong every step of the way?

Thanks, Billy, genuinely. Though I think ‘minor inconvenience’ is playing it down rather a lot. You didn’t think the British guy you shared a link to that started this section of debate was going through a minor inconvenience, did you?

Also, it’s not Britain who would be picking and choosing. Britain has something the people of Europe want. The EU are choosing not to buy, to the detriment of those in Europe who would like to continue working in the purifying plants.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #599 on February 23, 2021, 06:51:27 pm by belton rover »

Human waste.

There was nothing stopping us doing so when in the EU so I doubt it.

Clearly there was - someone else cleaned up the food that came from it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012