Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 04:28:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New health update for Newyankee.  (Read 33938 times)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: New health update for Newyankee.
« Reply #210 on September 12, 2016, 01:49:08 pm by Alickismyhero »
Saint Mick,
You helped safe the life of a man suffering a heart attack, now doing the hard work of sorting things out for Derek's memory, have you tried walking on water?

Hools is right "you are a good en"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on September 12, 2016, 02:24:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thirded. Thanks for the thoughts in here Bally. It's been very moving.

Your last post reminded me of my Dad. Last match he ever saw was a grim 0-0 at OBV against Kettering in the Conference. Two weeks later, he was gone with a massive heart attack, we'd signed Franny Tierney, we tore Yeovil apart and barely stopped progressing for the next decade. Maybe Derek's passing will coincide with a similar turn in fortunes.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on September 13, 2016, 03:08:07 am by hoolahoop »
Oh I do hope so Billy we need it . It would be apt oh and thanks to you mate.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #213 on September 13, 2016, 05:13:05 am by roversdude »
Hoola although it sad circumstances it's good to have you back on here
Bally obviously hurt by Derek's passing but great efforts respect my friend respect

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on September 13, 2016, 08:50:16 am by hoolahoop »
Thanks for that dude it's great to be back. For once I must confess to skipping the pre-season " moaning , slagging off the owners and he's a good prospect " etc type of posts.

You're right Bally must be missing Derek, I didn't have the privilege of having him as a friend for long but Christ have I missed those Monday/Tuesday calls from the U.S. You would have thought that Derek had been to the match in person. He missed nothing

On a personal side, I can't begin to tell you how supportive he was of me and probably others as well.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on September 13, 2016, 08:18:20 pm by RTID75 »
Sorry to read of Derek's passing. Sad to read of another Rover leaving us. My thoughts are with those who were closest to him.

Never did meet and have that 'tied by ROH experiences' pint, did we Hoola? Are you getting to games now?

ballysbackin

« Reply #216 on September 15, 2016, 03:53:30 pm by ballysbackin »
Just one or two things that have happened:

First of all I got a very concerned apology from Carl Hall yesterday - he is still trying to get to the bottom why the minutes silence did not happen when both clubs were aware of it. He states that there was a late change of referee to Jamie Bloem (grrrr) that may be responsible. BUT a minutes silence will be onbserved.

Saturday 2.15 pm in The Belle Vue Bar an area has been set aside for anyone wishing to attend and raise a glass in Derek's memory. The club PA man will attend and present a short speech regarding Derek. The eulogy is in the match day programme.

KEEP AN EYE OUT ON THE BIG SCREEN BEFORE KICK OFF. The people who have paid for this airtime wish to remain unknown. I do not know who they are either.

I spoke to Donna last night she is still overwhelmed how all of you have spoken of your fondness regarding Derek, she was never aware because he dare not tell her of the fact he would always phone people here and in the States if he knew of their illness or their wife or children.  Also the good wishes on the obituary page of the West Allis paper, the phone calls and the facebook messages.

She is aware and has been brought to tears because of the plaque that will be raised in Derek's memory in the Memorial Ground, she wishes to thank each and everyone of you.

Well Derek you always said  :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on September 15, 2016, 06:06:53 pm by CJK »
Always sad to hear of a fellow Rover passing. Unfortunately it's another one to the dreaded C. We all know someone close who's been affected by this disease, I lost my Mum two and half years ago to it.

RIP Derek, I think we feel it more at a club like ours, there's not so many of us like there is up the league structure.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on September 16, 2016, 01:22:17 am by hoolahoop »
Sorry to read of Derek's passing. Sad to read of another Rover leaving us. My thoughts are with those who were closest to him.

Never did meet and have that 'tied by ROH experiences' pint, did we Hoola? Are you getting to games now?

Not many but will be making a special effort to be in the BVB on satdi . Hope to meet some more of Derek's mates to raise a toast to him.

ballysbackin

« Reply #219 on September 16, 2016, 07:27:25 am by ballysbackin »
Hoola...I shall certainly be there - Derek always asked if I knew you because you are a Thorney, he seemed to think I should, we shall see if I do but after Saturday I certainly will.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on September 16, 2016, 09:27:51 am by Alickismyhero »
Bally,
I will make every effort to make one home game this season but I can't make this one. I should be able to make the Luton game as its only 30mins from home but I would have liked to have had a drink with Derek's mates.

By the way have you got a photo on the Stainy Photo site? on a bike? If you look closely you can find one of me at the age of 15 with the school football team. I haven't changed one bit! well just a little.

Terry

ballysbackin

« Reply #221 on September 17, 2016, 07:35:22 pm by ballysbackin »
Thank you to the twenty or so that were present today, Thank you Rovers for your help in this matter. The staff who came to carry out the eulogy were sincerely interested in Derek's life and my friendship with him. Also a picture of him at half time on the scoreboard, along side another poor soul - Mel who has been struck down by this vile illness.

May they rest in peace

ballysbackin

« Reply #222 on September 20, 2016, 01:47:26 pm by ballysbackin »
Bally,
I will make every effort to make one home game this season but I can't make this one. I should be able to make the Luton game as its only 30mins from home but I would have liked to have had a drink with Derek's mates.

By the way have you got a photo on the Stainy Photo site? on a bike? If you look closely you can find one of me at the age of 15 with the school football team. I haven't changed one bit! well just a little.

Terry

Terry. I am not sure about the Stainy site have not been on it for ages but will have a look.

ballysbackin

« Reply #223 on September 20, 2016, 02:03:53 pm by ballysbackin »
Terry

Just looked, the photo put on by Barry Nash in August this year with him sat on wall of 4 Windsor Rd (Billy, Lorna Garry and young sister ????? lived there,  Cid Bentham and others. I used to go there with Barry and the gang...Barry's dad was George the manager at Northern Dairies Milk, my mam used to be on the milk but then was shop manageress, Barry married Sylvia Jennings sister of Derek....She died sadly some years ago of C. Uncle Bert and Auntie May their parents.  I was always down there and remember telling Barry as a kid when he took Sylvia on his motorbike he would end up marrying her...

Excellent memories of Stainy, I shall be at Mass on Saturday night  at Stainy RC Church it is the 60th Anniversary of it opening and I was there on that day in 1956, we all got taken down by the Nuns from the Convent, it was opened after school by the Bishop and two Cressy susses were at the gates to take the kids home.

I often just sit and remember..... Are you on the photo of Stainy School football teams, as for the bike, I had one but never ventured to Stainy on it in case I got wheels nicked.  :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #224 on September 20, 2016, 07:52:14 pm by Alickismyhero »
Terry

Just looked, the photo put on by Barry Nash in August this year with him sat on wall of 4 Windsor Rd (Billy, Lorna Garry and young sister ????? lived there,  Cid Bentham and others. I used to go there with Barry and the gang...Barry's dad was George the manager at Northern Dairies Milk, my mam used to be on the milk but then was shop manageress, Barry married Sylvia Jennings sister of Derek....She died sadly some years ago of C. Uncle Bert and Auntie May their parents.  I was always down there and remember telling Barry as a kid when he took Sylvia on his motorbike he would end up marrying her...

Excellent memories of Stainy, I shall be at Mass on Saturday night  at Stainy RC Church it is the 60th Anniversary of it opening and I was there on that day in 1956, we all got taken down by the Nuns from the Convent, it was opened after school by the Bishop and two Cressy susses were at the gates to take the kids home.

I often just sit and remember..... Are you on the photo of Stainy School football teams, as for the bike, I had one but never ventured to Stainy on it in case I got wheels nicked.  :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Yes that's me in the school football team photo. The sad thing is that I was the only one who could name everyone in the photo. A year later at 16 I left to work in London and never went back except to visit my family and to watch the Rovers.

ballysbackin

« Reply #225 on September 21, 2016, 09:28:50 am by ballysbackin »
But you never turned your back on where you were from and remained proud of it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012