Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:10:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 7110 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #30 on December 29, 2019, 09:10:59 pm by Filo »
Three times we’ve played Sunderland in this division and each time we’ve been outmuscled across the pitch.

We made it far too easy for them today. Gifted Gooch the freedom of the Keepmoat to get his shot away for their first goal.

Rather than “play out from the back” we moved it slowly across the back line and invited their high press to put us under pressure with nowhere to go. For most of the game there was a huge hole in the middle of the park with neither Whiteman or Gomes affecting the game. It looks to me like our wide players are instructed to provide defensive cover by tucking in first, and getting forward later. Coppinger was largely crowded out and Ennis isolated.

The one time in the first half that we got Coppinger facing goal and Sadlier running forward the two of them combined to set up Taylor and we scored. Unfortunately we then came out for the second half on the back foot again. Other than a couple of Sadlier efforts (one brilliant shot and one header that he knew he should’ve scored) and one long run by Taylor where he failed to get his head up, we barely threatened.

They fully deserved their win. For me it’s just a shame that we didn’t give them more to think about. Gomes looked too slow in thought and Coppinger was not at his best and harried out of the game. But tactically I just felt we got the approach wrong.

This should’ve been a good time to play Sunderland but we made it easy for them in the end.

We need to sign Dieng. Our man of the match by some distance.

It was a hard watch today, especially that first 25 minutes, we had no one centrally with a bit of composure, able to put a foot on the ball and get us playing going forward, although I thought we did get better in the second half and but for a bit more luck could have nicked it, but other than that I think you have it about spot on Jonathan.

As for some on here suggesting that Sadlier was missing in action, I really wonder what game you were watching and suggest you watch the game back again, because but for him we would have created absolutely nothing today and that includes Taylors goal.

Take your Sadlier blinkers off mate, he was missing for large parts of the game

Change the record will you, I say it as I see it, I certainly don't subscribe to rose tinted glasses and bytheway I am not your mate!

He was involved in everything going forward and if there were parts of the game he was not involved then that will be because we insisted on attacking down the right side all too often.

I can live with not being your mate, but I also say it as I see it, Today he was all too often waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet, you know sometimes you need to go after the ball, yes he was involved in the goal, he had one decent shot and a chance of a header that he should have done miles better with, but as I say for large parts of the game he was missing, to balance things out a bit other players were n’t at the races either.

You point regarding rose tinted glasses doesn’t stand up, evertime anyone suggests Sadlier did n’t play well you are on them like a ton of bricks

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 29, 2019, 09:23:15 pm by NewDonny »
Three times we’ve played Sunderland in this division and each time we’ve been outmuscled across the pitch.

We made it far too easy for them today. Gifted Gooch the freedom of the Keepmoat to get his shot away for their first goal.

Rather than “play out from the back” we moved it slowly across the back line and invited their high press to put us under pressure with nowhere to go. For most of the game there was a huge hole in the middle of the park with neither Whiteman or Gomes affecting the game. It looks to me like our wide players are instructed to provide defensive cover by tucking in first, and getting forward later. Coppinger was largely crowded out and Ennis isolated.

The one time in the first half that we got Coppinger facing goal and Sadlier running forward the two of them combined to set up Taylor and we scored. Unfortunately we then came out for the second half on the back foot again. Other than a couple of Sadlier efforts (one brilliant shot and one header that he knew he should’ve scored) and one long run by Taylor where he failed to get his head up, we barely threatened.

They fully deserved their win. For me it’s just a shame that we didn’t give them more to think about. Gomes looked too slow in thought and Coppinger was not at his best and harried out of the game. But tactically I just felt we got the approach wrong.

This should’ve been a good time to play Sunderland but we made it easy for them in the end.

We need to sign Dieng. Our man of the match by some distance.

It was a hard watch today, especially that first 25 minutes, we had no one centrally with a bit of composure, able to put a foot on the ball and get us playing going forward, although I thought we did get better in the second half and but for a bit more luck could have nicked it, but other than that I think you have it about spot on Jonathan.

As for some on here suggesting that Sadlier was missing in action, I really wonder what game you were watching and suggest you watch the game back again, because but for him we would have created absolutely nothing today and that includes Taylors goal.

Take your Sadlier blinkers off mate, he was missing for large parts of the game

Change the record will you, I say it as I see it, I certainly don't subscribe to rose tinted glasses and bytheway I am not your mate!

He was involved in everything going forward and if there were parts of the game he was not involved then that will be because we insisted on attacking down the right side all too often.

I can live with not being your mate, but I also say it as I see it, Today he was all too often waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet, you know sometimes you need to go after the ball, yes he was involved in the goal, he had one decent shot and a chance of a header that he should have done miles better with, but as I say for large parts of the game he was missing, to balance things out a bit other players were n’t at the races either.

You point regarding rose tinted glasses doesn’t stand up, evertime anyone suggests Sadlier did n’t play well you are on them like a ton of bricks

Criticism of a players performance is fine if done in a way fair and equitable way, but it seems that Sadlier's name is one of the first, if not the first name that is reeled off for criticism whenever Rovers play badly and a lot of the time its unwarranted. A lot of his hard work and contribution on the pitch goes completely unnoticed or worse still attributed to another player because people don't concentrate on the game when at the match or they simply don't see it.

For me he was one of our better players today on what was a hard watch as a game, involved in most if not all our attacks and was also found deep in our own half defending quite a bit as well. Watch the game back again and you will see what I mean.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 29, 2019, 09:29:55 pm by 5 on Tour »
Sads and Taylor were certainly the best of our attacking threat. One good moment from Copps today but we can’t rely on him every game. Ennis was blowing and I’m not surprised after the period he’s had off. As for the central 2 well...

Overall a bad bad bad day at the office for the team. They happen. Unfortunately they’re happening far too often now.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 29, 2019, 09:37:19 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Dickov football at best.. proverbial chickens home to roost regarding striker situation... all you summer transfer window brigade or false number 9s or Kwiyoma a chance brigade.. this is exactly why I was so passionately berate come late August.. cos it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of football brain we had left ourselves high and dry with no goals upfront (which one of you talked about having football vision the rest of us didnt have re our goalscoring situation.. shabby, vaya, Campbell rover.. I dont know cant remember, but whoever it was you know and your a footballing imbecile..) we have good centre halfs and in Sadlier, Taylor, Whiteman and Coppinger goals and assists from midfield but we have zero goals outlet upfront.. if we dont sort it out in January it will be a very long second half of the season..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:50:25 pm by Donny Exile in York »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 29, 2019, 09:42:22 pm by drfchound »
After that performance at Peterbro almost 8500 home fans turned up today.
I don’t foresee anywhere near that many coming on Wednesday and it will be fewer still if we play against Oxford like we did today.

The team needs strengthening considerably if we are to avoid poorer attendances.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 29, 2019, 10:31:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
For all those who don’t think we need re-inforcements in midfield, you got your answer tonight. The front 4 were, quite simply, not at the races. Only Taylor can hold his head up, after that showing, but even he disappeared later in the second half.
When the manager has to revert to bringing on Thomas and Watters, you know the race is run.
We desperately need some quality signings and if we don’t ‘get them over the line’, I think even Bolton may pass us.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 29, 2019, 10:44:02 pm by NickDRFC »
Thomas is a physical presence until he jumps for the ball. 6 foot 3 but 5 foot 10 when he jumps. Simply not good enough for me.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 29, 2019, 11:37:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think we're being overly harsh about individual players when for the most part, Sunderland deprived us of time on the ball in the critical areas. If our supply line isn't operating effectively then Sadlier, Ennis and Taylor are living off scraps. When it's not flowing as good as it might, you have to dig in and be patient, which we did to a point. Their second goal was a killer and we know how cynical they can be (handball etc) but you have to give them credit for the intensity they played all game. It does not surprise me if Sunderland fans are saying that's the best they've played all season.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 29, 2019, 11:41:16 pm by Barmby Rover »
It's the model the club want to approach though. Loans and short term contracts, and hope it comes good.
I agree, a mid table or yoyo club between Lg.1 and 2, no more, no less.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 29, 2019, 11:42:30 pm by eastender »

I think even Bolton may pass us.

I can see it now ,end of season and we play Bolton away and both teams need to win to stay up .  :suicide:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 29, 2019, 11:43:33 pm by dickos1 »
It’s a big year
If this time next year we have a similar squad then it will be glaringly obvious we are cutting back.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 30, 2019, 12:02:19 am by NewDonny »
For all those who don’t think we need re-inforcements in midfield, you got your answer tonight. The front 4 were, quite simply, not at the races. Only Taylor can hold his head up, after that showing, but even he disappeared later in the second half.
When the manager has to revert to bringing on Thomas and Watters, you know the race is run.
We desperately need some quality signings and if we don’t ‘get them over the line’, I think even Bolton may pass us.

To be at the races, you have to be in the running and to do that you have to have the ball and we didn't, for me we lost the game in our central midfield, we were second to everything and lacked composure when we did have the ball and left our front three feeding off long balls and scraps off the table.

Also don't think your comments are particularly supportive of young Watters who is just starting out in the game, that was a big thing for him coming on against Sunderland in front of that crowd, we should be encouraging the blooding of young players, what did we have to lose at that stage of the game bringing him on with  a minute of normal time left?

Bolton won't finish higher than us, no chance.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 30, 2019, 12:30:38 am by Jonathan »
It's like watching Dickov football at home st the moment I'm afraid to say.. though Sadlier had a great chance or two second half..

Forgot Sadlier was on the pitch at times, he was nesh in the tackle, and all too often just waited for the ball to come to him rather than trying to get to a ball first

You forgot he was on? Really?

Name one effort at goal we had that didn’t involve Sadlier. Seriously, there was not one. Take him out and it would’ve been a whole lot worse. 

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 30, 2019, 12:45:29 am by eastender »

Bolton won't finish higher than us, no chance.

I wouldn't be so sure , in points gained they are only 6 behind us having played the same amount of games.
Don't forget that they also played their first 6/7 games with basically a youth team.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on December 30, 2019, 08:57:43 am by dickos1 »
If they hadn’t had the points deduction they’d be 9 points behind us.

But they’re 21 points behind us, no way they will overtake us this season
No chance at all

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 30, 2019, 09:13:19 am by Campsall rover »
Dickov football at best.. proverbial chickens home to roost regarding striker situation... all you summer transfer window brigade or false number 9s or Kwiyoma a chance brigade.. this is exactly why I was so passionately berate come late August.. cos it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of football brain we had left ourselves high and dry with no goals upfront (which one of you talked about having football vision the rest of us didnt have re our goalscoring situation.. shabby, vaya, Campbell rover.. I dont know cant remember, but whoever it was you know and your a footballing imbecile..) we have good centre halfs and in Sadlier, Taylor, Whiteman and Coppinger goals and assists from midfield but we have zero goals outlet upfront.. if we dont sort it out in January it will be a very long second half of the season..
My user name is Campsall rover not Campbell. It’s after the village to the north of Doncaster near Askern, Norton, Sutton & Burghwallis.

2nd point i don’t know what on Earth you are talking about and who are you calling “a footballing imbecile”
We all know we need a goal scorer in the team. Who has said we don’t?
Is there any need for a post like that. Shabby, Vaya and myself are positive with our posts but if you think any of us have said we don’t need a striker you must have been on another clubs forum.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:16:23 am by Campsall rover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 30, 2019, 09:43:17 am by Chris Black come back »
Pre-season was a mess and we have had disruption and unfortunate injuries, but what was true for the failed tenures of Dickov and Ferguson has also to apply to Moore.

If the Board is providing a top 6 budget and the manager is delivering us mid-table finishes (Dickov) or relegation (Ferguson) then that is not good enough.

With that budget we need to be top half as minimum and pushing for play offs as a realistic expectation.

With games in hand we could end up matching what the budget should reasonably deliver but it would be a poor season if we are lurking in bottom half as Ferguson delivered us. What applied to his failed tenure has also to apply to Moore. 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 30, 2019, 09:44:57 am by dickos1 »
My user name is Campsall rover not Campbell. It’s after the village to the north of Doncaster near Askern, Norton, Sutton & Burghwallis.

2nd point i don’t know what on Earth you are talking about and who are you calling “a footballing imbecile”
Is there any need for a post like that. Shabby, Vaya and myself are positive with our posts but if you think any of us have said we don’t need a striker you must have been on another clubs forum.

Although you did predict we would finish 3rd this season. So I’d imagine you of all people would be very disappointed with our current league position?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on December 30, 2019, 09:46:28 am by dickos1 »
Pre-season was a mess and we have had disruption and unfortunate injuries, but what was true for the failed tenures of Dickov and Ferguson has also to apply to Moore.

If the Board is providing a top 6 budget and the manager is delivering us mid-table finishes (Dickov) or relegation (Ferguson) then that is not good enough.

With that budget we need to be top half as minimum and pushing for play offs as a realistic expectation.

With games in hand we could end up matching what the budget should reasonably deliver but it would be a poor season if we are lurking in bottom half as Ferguson delivered us. What applied to his failed tenure has also to apply to Moore. 

Agreed
The one point I’d make though is we’ve been told now for two seasons that the manager has decided to not use all the funds made available to him,

Which when you look at the state of the squad is baffling

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 30, 2019, 09:49:07 am by Chris Black come back »
I think everyone is agreed on this, from what Baldwin said at Meet the Owners at the start of the season this is clearly the expectation of the Board. They think top two is 9 years out of 10 a fantasy for us due to budgets of some teams likely to be in this league, but play offs are realistic.

We are not in the play offs and while there are mitigating factors, we cannot be accepting bottom half finishes with this budget from any manager.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 30, 2019, 10:00:48 am by Donny Exile in York »

It was a typo re Campbell but probably quite apt as your footballing vision is akin to Neil Campbell as a striker equivalent.. it now comes back to me it was you who proclaimed some on here didnt have the same footballing vision re our striker situation... 3 months on I bow to your vision and proclaimed wisdom..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 30, 2019, 04:23:55 pm by Campsall rover »
What are you talking about?  ;)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 30, 2019, 04:33:31 pm by NewDonny »

It was a typo re Campbell but probably quite apt as your footballing vision is akin to Neil Campbell as a striker equivalent.. it now comes back to me it was you who proclaimed some on here didnt have the same footballing vision re our striker situation... 3 months on I bow to your vision and proclaimed wisdom..
Bore off DEIY. At least Campsall contributes to debate and has a view and contributes rather taking shots from the cheap seats!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 30, 2019, 05:02:14 pm by The Beast »
Despite Sunderland’s league position, they were the best team I’ve seen this season , I doubt any of our players would get in their team. I’m positive they’ll start to climb the table. We’re an average team in this league, we’ll finish mid table probably, what do people honestly expect? We’re in about the right position for a club our size, cool your jets people!

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 30, 2019, 05:23:25 pm by NewDonny »
Despite Sunderland’s league position, they were the best team I’ve seen this season , I doubt any of our players would get in their team. I’m positive they’ll start to climb the table. We’re an average team in this league, we’ll finish mid table probably, what do people honestly expect? We’re in about the right position for a club our size, cool your jets people!

Really cannot agree, thought Sunderland were distinctly average.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 30, 2019, 05:25:51 pm by IDM »
Average compared to what.? They battled and fought for their win as much as any other opponent we have faced this season..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 30, 2019, 05:27:33 pm by dickos1 »
I think we just made them look good, there’ll not be so many midfields as lightweight as ours.
They won every second ball all over the pitch that’s more down to us not battling than them being better than us

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 30, 2019, 05:41:51 pm by NewDonny »
Average compared to what.? They battled and fought for their win as much as any other opponent we have faced this season..

Yes, very average compared to some other teams we have played this season. They were not as good as Oxford, Coventry, Ipswich or Blackpool imo. They scored early and won every second phase ball for large parts of the first half but never got away from us and on another day had we taken our chances we could have knicked that yesterday. They were nothing great, we just got beaten up and did not compete for second phase ball in midfield as Dickos1 has already said.

I also think we have 3-4 players that would improve them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:33:37 pm by NewDonny »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 30, 2019, 06:06:16 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Bore off DEIY. At least Campsall contributes to debate and has a view and contributes rather taking shots from the cheap seats!

I'm not taking pot shots from the cheap seats.. I made my views known on here 3 to 4 months ago about concerns over not signing a striker or two before the window shut and was cascaded by those in the cheap seats on here.. there is a whole sway of warriors on here waiting to shoot down anyone who criticises the club and its management.. on the striker issue looks like those who took the shots from the cheap seats regarding the lack of decent striker transfer activity in the summer have seen the consequences of the lack of that activity.. let's hope its soon rectified in the January window.. but I am simply reminding those in the cheap seats firing shots how wrong they were and are re Kwiyoma or false number 9s or Coppinger as a number 9 or we will get someone before 31st August or a loan now the window is shut brigade..

Let's hope we have a good window transfer wise, the key players out of contract next summer extend their contracts and then the likes of myself will shut up and be very happy with the direction of travel for the club.. the summer was a bumpy ride so let's hope this next window and the coming summer one leave us looking alot stronger again..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:23:26 pm by Donny Exile in York »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on December 30, 2019, 06:20:48 pm by scawsby steve »

What we honestly expect is what the club have said they're aiming for, which is a top 6 finish.

Especially since we're apparently on a top 6 budget.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012