Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:00:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The cost of charging an electric car  (Read 3090 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: The cost of charging an electric car
« Reply #30 on September 28, 2021, 02:21:25 pm by Axholme Lion »
Being a “non driver “ what about people who live in a flat say on the 14th floor how are they going to charge their car’s , extension lead out of the window ?

That's the general idea. Or park in a dodgy car park and come back in the morning to find someone has stolen your charging lead and your car has been vandalised.

Ever tried removing a charging lead from a parked, locked car?

I'll bet it's easier than removing the cables from the railway, but that happens.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 28, 2021, 02:22:23 pm by Axholme Lion »
Being a “non driver “ what about people who live in a flat say on the 14th floor how are they going to charge their car’s , extension lead out of the window ?

That's the general idea. Or park in a dodgy car park and come back in the morning to find someone has stolen your charging lead and your car has been vandalised.

Whereas if you had a conventionally-fuelled car and lived on the 14th floor you would .... what?

Drive to the fuel station fill it up and go home.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 28, 2021, 02:23:34 pm by Axholme Lion »
The cut off date for petrol and diesel will be extended as there won't be capacity on the grid in the timeframe being suggested.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 28, 2021, 04:46:49 pm by Pancho Regan »

Whereas if you had a conventionally-fuelled car and lived on the 14th floor you would .... what?

And park it in your flat on the 14th floor?
Or in the 'dodgy car park' outside the block of flats, where the charging points could be?
Would vandals only damage the electric vehicles?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 28, 2021, 06:08:17 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Ever tried removing a charging lead from a parked, locked car?

I haven't even seen one - are they secure then...?
For instance, many charging points are generally outside also.... so could you not just disconnect from the mains socket and then remove the other end from the car? - genuine question - I have know idea.

They generally lock at both ends, you can also get really secure locks for your own aswell.  Mine doesn't release without unlocking it (and has other settings on top). You have to unsecure one end before the other releases too. And they do not budge.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 29, 2021, 09:44:52 am by Axholme Lion »

And park it in your flat on the 14th floor?
Or in the 'dodgy car park' outside the block of flats, where the charging points could be?
Would vandals only damage the electric vehicles?

I'm on about supermarket car parks and the like. You wouldn't want to park there or in a town centre overnight.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 30, 2021, 03:33:01 pm by albie »
AL,

Not sure what you are on about, me old Lion!

Why would you need to park overnight in a supermarket to charge?
Folk will just go to the nearest charging station and top up when needed....no problem.

Latest chargers are reducing charging time, and will get better;
https://uk.pcmag.com/cars-auto/135976/worlds-fastest-electric-car-charger-offers-a-full-charge-in-15-minutes

Not like a petrol shortage, is it......pity the poor diesel driver in 5 years!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 30, 2021, 03:36:29 pm by Axholme Lion »
AL,

Not sure what you are on about, me old Lion!

Why would you need to park overnight in a supermarket to charge?
Folk will just go to the nearest charging station and top up when needed....no problem.

Latest chargers are reducing charging time, and will get better;
https://uk.pcmag.com/cars-auto/135976/worlds-fastest-electric-car-charger-offers-a-full-charge-in-15-minutes

Not like a petrol shortage, is it......pity the poor diesel driver in 5 years!

I would be concerned about rapid charging's effect on battery life. Nothing will convince me that this is a blind ally. I would hang on for hydrogen rather than any plug in car. Just my opinion.

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 30, 2021, 05:56:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Why are you concerned about something that has no proof?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 01, 2021, 08:08:27 am by Axholme Lion »

My electric tooth brush battery gets worse every time i charge it. How much scientific proof do you need?

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 01, 2021, 08:21:26 am by mugnapper »
If you take your electric car abroad, do you need to take a travel adapter to charge it??

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 01, 2021, 08:22:50 am by Ldr »
If you take your electric car abroad, do you need to take a travel adapter to charge it??

Domestic charger yes, wouldn’t recommend though. Type 2 or other cable I don’t think so

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 01, 2021, 09:09:20 am by Axholme Lion »

Domestic charger yes, wouldn’t recommend though. Type 2 or other cable I don’t think so

You'll need to charge up five times to get to the Isle of White.

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 01, 2021, 11:56:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

My electric tooth brush battery gets worse every time i charge it. How much scientific proof do you need?

Maybe stop buying the cheap ones.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 01, 2021, 05:06:45 pm by albie »
Here is one aimed at the Axholme consumer;
https://youtu.be/U5LKU6bWScc

Solar charging integrated.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 05, 2021, 03:49:45 pm by albie »
Sales figures from September for the UK;
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/05/uk-plugin-ev-share-above-20-in-september-tesla-model-3-overall-bestseller/

I guess the petrol crises will have given a further boost to sales in the next period.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 05, 2021, 04:08:59 pm by Axholme Lion »
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/05/uk-plugin-ev-share-above-20-in-september-tesla-model-3-overall-bestseller/

I guess the petrol crises will have given a further boost to sales in the next period.

The thing is you just can't get hold of new cars at the moment. The lead time with most manufacturers is horrendous, this is pumping up the price of used cars too. I have just been offered by a dealer for a car which i bought just twenty months ago nine grand more than i paid for it new! Absolute madness.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 05, 2021, 05:26:22 pm by normal rules »
My brother, who has more money than sense, just sold his Porsche Boxster back to Porsche Leeds for just 7 grand less than he paid for it in cash 3 years ago. He bought it brand new. That means he essentially leased it for £195 a month. Or Ford Fiesta money. Porsche Leeds can’t get them for love nor money.

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 05, 2021, 06:01:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

The thing is you just can't get hold of new cars at the moment. The lead time with most manufacturers is horrendous, this is pumping up the price of used cars too. I have just been offered by a dealer for a car which i bought just twenty months ago nine grand more than i paid for it new! Absolute madness.

Very true at least 6 months from order for mine. It won't come until next year.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on October 05, 2021, 08:43:54 pm by dknward2 »
This is true I work at Mercedes and when I started there just over 12months ago the compound was full with new and every different model now we have half a dozen cla shooting brakes and and few different 4x4 plus some pre sold eqc and about 4 v classes of which I think 3 are the electric model and that's it.

The worse thing is that we are struggling to get hold of parts particular nox sensors due to the semiconductors and chip shortages

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on October 05, 2021, 09:05:38 pm by knockers »
I have no idea what any of that means :huh:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 06, 2021, 12:56:40 am by River Don »
i wonder if it's such a great idea filling cars full of microchips and complexity.

There's something to be said for straightforward, robust, simple engineering that can easily be fixed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 06, 2021, 01:10:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
i wonder if it's such a great idea filling cars full of microchips and complexity.

There's something to be said for straightforward, robust, simple engineering that can easily be fixed.

...but which did go wrong on a weekly basis.

I learned everything I know about cars from buying a Fiat127 in the late 80s. I spent every Sunday for 2 years stripping it to bits to find the latest fault, then rebuilding it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 06, 2021, 01:29:43 am by River Don »

...but which did go wrong on a weekly basis.

I learned everything I know about cars from buying a Fiat127 in the late 80s. I spent every Sunday for 2 years stripping it to bits to find the latest fault, then rebuilding it.

Yeah but is it the added complexity of modern vehicles making them more reliable nowadays? Or are they just better engineered better built machines underneath all the gizmos?

I mean there will be cars today waiting for microchips for the entertainment system or the motion sensors or climate control. None of these things actually affects how the vehicle performs in its primary role as personal transport but without them the product isn't complete and can't be sold.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:40:21 am by River Don »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 06, 2021, 09:11:41 am by Axholme Lion »
This is true I work at Mercedes and when I started there just over 12months ago the compound was full with new and every different model now we have half a dozen cla shooting brakes and and few different 4x4 plus some pre sold eqc and about 4 v classes of which I think 3 are the electric model and that's it.

The worse thing is that we are struggling to get hold of parts particular nox sensors due to the semiconductors and chip shortages

We have loads of back orders too. The oil filter which fits 90% of our petrol engine models is unorderable. The central warehouse will only release small amounts on autoissue dependant upon your previous sales history.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 06, 2021, 09:14:45 am by Axholme Lion »

Most modern cars are very reliable. It's the silly added on techno gimmicks which cause most of the problems.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012