Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:13:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 82589 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #1320 on May 11, 2021, 06:35:30 pm by selby »
  Stabber went to Hartlepool three times Syd, every time the gap widened towards Bojo.
  The Tories were that pleased with his efforts on their behalf they kept inviting him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1321 on May 11, 2021, 07:34:52 pm by scawsby steve »
Latest Yougov numbers, BST.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/keir-starmer-approval-rating
Edit: i should point out that this is still slightly better than Corbyn's lowest point, which was in the mid 50s. But it took Corbyn years and a muddled brexit policy to get there.

Strange, that. The YG figures are wildly out if sync with all the other pollsters. See here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_approval_opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

BST, are you saying that the Yougov figures are wrong?

Do you seriously think Keir Starmer is a popular Labour leader, and is the man that could lead Labour to a victory over the Tories in 2024, or even before then?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1322 on May 11, 2021, 08:32:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS.

No. I'm saying the YG figures are vastly different from every other polling organisation.

Either YG are wrong or all the others are wrong. I've no idea which. I was simply pointing out that fact in response to MM's eager post.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1323 on May 11, 2021, 10:08:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Believe me BST, there's nothing eager about my post. It brings me no joy to see Labour in the doldrums for yet another year when we desperately need them functioning. I voted for Starmer. It doesn't do me any favours to see him struggling.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1324 on May 11, 2021, 11:13:12 pm by SydneyRover »
  Stabber went to Hartlepool three times Syd, every time the gap widened towards Bojo.
  The Tories were that pleased with his efforts on their behalf they kept inviting him.

Another one trying to get me to suck eggs, yes I know, the question was, did the lying toerag go up there? and the follow up question was to be, and why not?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1325 on May 11, 2021, 11:27:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Another one trying to get me to suck eggs, yes I know, the question was, did the lying toerag go up there? and the follow up question was to be, and why not?

He did....

Not sure what your point is?

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-05-03/elbow-bumps-and-thumbs-up-as-prime-minister-johnson-visits-hartlepool

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1326 on May 11, 2021, 11:38:02 pm by SydneyRover »
didn't see that pud, thanks for the correction, but then neither did selby.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1327 on May 12, 2021, 12:26:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Apologies MM. I shouldn't have said that.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1328 on May 12, 2021, 12:32:02 am by MachoMadness »
No problem bst. I don't doubt there are a fair few on the left of the party who are enjoying all this (although I doubt they hold much sway within the party these days myself), so I see why you said it. I'm not one of them though.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1329 on May 12, 2021, 01:36:26 am by SydneyRover »

He did....

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-05-03/elbow-bumps-and-thumbs-up-as-prime-minister-johnson-visits-hartlepool

I suppose my main point pud, is that although I hear about it and read about the new conservative evangelism for love of the working family the tories have for close to 200 hundred years been killing, enslaving, suppressing, jailing, starving, ignoring, deporting and disenfranchising anyone Non-U, so that may help you understand where my scepticism and cynicism comes from.

The above doesn't include having johnson in the mix either.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1330 on May 12, 2021, 09:04:12 am by Herbert Anchovy »
For the Tories to suddenly become the party of the working class, they’re going to need to rewrite the fundamentals of Conservatism that the party has been built on. The clue is in the name.

Psychologists have a phrase ‘the best way to predict future behaviour is to look at past behaviour’. History tells us that Tory Governments consistently cut public services any time the country faces financial challenges and there’s absolutely no reason to expect them to do anything differently. Given so many people in the North East (and other regions) are heavily reliant on public services this will be a problem.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1331 on May 12, 2021, 09:16:24 am by selby »
  It was reported in the Mail Syd and by Mike Graham on talk radio of course I knew

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1332 on May 12, 2021, 09:17:38 am by drfchound »

He did....

Bump

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1333 on May 12, 2021, 09:20:11 am by SydneyRover »

'Invitations' doesn't say visits, does it selby, you didn't actually say he had visited?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1334 on May 12, 2021, 09:22:28 am by drfchound »

'Invitations' doesn't say visits, does it selby, you didn't actually say he had visited?

Selby was talking about Starmers visits.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1335 on May 12, 2021, 09:24:27 am by SydneyRover »
who said, Gary Player, the carpenter from East Shields?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1336 on May 12, 2021, 09:26:31 am by drfchound »
It’s ok to be wrong.
You could have just said sorry for misunderstanding what selby had meant.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1337 on May 12, 2021, 09:28:30 am by SydneyRover »
It’s ok to be wrong.
You could have just said sorry for misunderstanding what selby had meant.

Yeah I know

''I’m a Great Believer in Luck. The Harder I Work, the More Luck I Have''

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/07/21/luck-hard-work/

• VSC Member
« Reply #1338 on May 12, 2021, 09:38:20 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought it interesting from a yougov poll.

The points about wallpaper and supposed Tory sleaze had an impact but only on those politically engaged (not a large number).  That really adds weight to the point that it's not really something the average person is too concerned about and the wrong direction for labour to focus on.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1339 on May 12, 2021, 09:41:34 am by SydneyRover »
Pud are you suggesting that the opposition should not put pressure on the government because a large percentage of the ppl can't be arsed to vote?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1340 on May 12, 2021, 09:52:03 am by Ldr »
Pud are you suggesting that the opposition should not put pressure on the government because a large percentage of the ppl can't be arsed to vote?

Syd, I think it means the majority of voters think there are more important things than wallpaper. A great majority of voters would not be as politically engaged as posters on here. Voters want to know what affects their lives, downing Street wallpaper doesnt

• VSC Member
« Reply #1341 on May 12, 2021, 09:54:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Not at all and that's not what the analysis says. The analysis said that general voters who did vote didn't see it as affecting how they voted.

That doesn't mean the opposition shouldn't raise it, it means it shouldn't be their sole focus and main campaigning point.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1342 on May 12, 2021, 10:12:38 am by SydneyRover »
yes I see that now, but as the quote goes governments are voted out, not in, and this has been the modus operandi of oppositions since the first parliament opened and it's not going to change.

Oppositions don't get a lot of media unless they stuff up as just seen so they have to convince voters the government is not doing what it's paid to do. That this government is in that category is not in question, but the labour party needs to get it's shit together so that the voters will listen to them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1343 on May 12, 2021, 10:18:42 am by SydneyRover »
Ldr I agree that on the whole the electorate is not tuned to politics, part of the process should be education and getting kids to believe they can make a change if they have knowledge and organise.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1344 on May 12, 2021, 10:23:47 am by Ldr »
yes I see that now, but as the quote goes governments are voted out, not in, and this has been the modus operandi of oppositions since the first parliament opened and it's not going to change.

Oppositions don't get a lot of media unless they stuff up as just seen so they have to convince voters the government is not doing what it's paid to do. That this government is in that category is not in question, but the labour party needs to get it's shit together so that the voters will listen to them.

Spot on Syd, the majority of the electorate are not bothered about causes such as BLM, trans rights, gender identity, cancel culture etc. They care about money in their pocket, access to health care, education for their kids. Parties need to have the publics attention on things that matter to them, not whatever cause makes the most noise.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1345 on May 12, 2021, 10:24:40 am by Ldr »
Ldr I agree that on the whole the electorate is not tuned to politics, part of the process should be education and getting kids to believe they can make a change if they have knowledge and organise.

Agreed, politics and managing finances should be mandatory in schools. Real World skills need to be taught

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1346 on May 12, 2021, 10:35:11 am by SydneyRover »
I must admit that I voted for the Dales not London for the school week trip, I always knew I'd spend lots of time in London. But I don't remember ever the local council being discussed or a suggestion of visiting to see how it worked.

• VSC Member
« Reply #1347 on May 12, 2021, 10:47:52 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

That's fine, but if labour want to win they'll have to consider not doing what you say.  Whatever you believe the feedback from the voters is thus. Ignore that and they get nowhere.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1348 on May 12, 2021, 10:49:03 am by SydneyRover »
But it will always be part of the mix pud and the government does the same to the opposition.

Added

But, and it's a big but incumbency is always a favourable position with many of it's control levers and here there have been three state elections and government has not changed 2 labor, I coalition. Covid has given sitting governments such a strong position, oppositions are starved of media.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:53:49 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1349 on May 12, 2021, 02:03:50 pm by selby »
  Slowly now Syderney, the conservatives invited Stabber to Hartlepool because in the three visits he is said to have made the gap between the votes Boris got widened from the votes Stabber got so they were happy for him to visit Hartlepool and invited him up there. Get it now eh.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012