Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:27:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 80676 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« on April 04, 2020, 11:27:05 am by wilts rover »
I would have preferred Lisa Nandy myself but congratulations to Sir Keir for winning decisively, nice speech too.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/keir-starmer-elected-to-succeed-jeremy-corbyn-as-labour-leader/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #1 on April 04, 2020, 11:29:42 am by silent majority »
I would have preferred Lisa Nandy myself but congratulations to Sir Keir for winning decisively, nice speech too.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/keir-starmer-elected-to-succeed-jeremy-corbyn-as-labour-leader/

He's a big Arsenal fan, likes his football.

I invited him to a game at the Keepmoat recently when we had a conversation, he said he'd love to come.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 04, 2020, 11:35:40 am by Ldr »
I could given the right circumstances, vote for a party lead by him

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 04, 2020, 11:41:13 am by SydneyRover »
It's a good decision, Corbyn had his chances it's time for a new team and a fresh outlook for the party and hopefully the UK .................. in time.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 04, 2020, 11:58:05 am by Donnywolf »

So could I and many more - but my fear as I recorded here straight after the Johnson landlide is that by the time the next Election comes he will have probably have nothing left after 5 years in opposition (hope Im wrong)

I personally think he is great and will be a boon to the Party and hopefully he will lead Labour to a win and I will be here to vote for them (under his Leadership) as opposed to voting for him as it is not a Presidency

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 04, 2020, 12:08:58 pm by selby »
  Two things against him, his personality and his record of standing against Brexit, that starts him off at odds with many Labour voters and will remember his stance, they are not the Labour member luvie duvies.
  Better than Long Bailey but who would not be? Nandy could become the face of the party on TV.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 04, 2020, 12:13:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.

You have a personality for PM now. He was telling folk it was OK to shake hands on a CV-19 ward and have the family round for Mother's Day.

I prefer politicians to be competent and have policies that benefit the country, rather than go on Have I Got News For You.

You DO know Starmer is a working class kid don't you?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 04, 2020, 12:20:04 pm by drfchound »
IMO Starmer is the best choice for leader of the Labour Party.
He speaks well and will probably give them a chance at the next GE.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 04, 2020, 12:21:15 pm by Filo »
  Two things against him, his personality and his record of standing against Brexit, that starts him off at odds with many Labour voters and will remember his stance, they are not the Labour member luvie duvies.
  Better than Long Bailey but who would not be? Nandy could become the face of the party on TV.

How many times do you need to be told, Brexit is done, finished, over with! It will happen! Starmer is the correct choice for leader, a working class kid with an education, a QC that will tie BJ in knots, and he won’t fall for BJ’s childish performances in the commons

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 04, 2020, 12:25:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Careful Filo. You're elbowing in on BB's job. He's the one who has told us for years we need to move on from Brexit.

I'm sure he'll have a word with Selby when he gets a minute.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 04, 2020, 12:30:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Selby wouldn't do what I say, he is his own bloke. We are not a clique!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 04, 2020, 12:30:45 pm by Filo »
Careful Filo. You're elbowing in on BB's job. He's the one who has told us for years we need to move on from Brexit.

I'm sure he'll have a word with Selby when he gets a minute.

Don’t hold your breath 😀

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 04, 2020, 12:31:12 pm by Filo »

And there you go 😂😂😂😂

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 04, 2020, 12:32:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »

So could I and many more - but my fear as I recorded here straight after the Johnson landlide is that by the time the next Election comes he will have probably have nothing left after 5 years in opposition (hope Im wrong)

I personally think he is great and will be a boon to the Party and hopefully he will lead Labour to a win and I will be here to vote for them (under his Leadership) as opposed to voting for him as it is not a Presidency

A boon to the party? What, like Michael Elphic?   :lol:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 04, 2020, 12:39:03 pm by selby »
   If he does not move the Party away from the South East London concentration he will be no more successful than Corbyn, and with the boundary changes will start off even further behind in the rest of the country.
   His back up team and their projection on radio and TV will be just as important as himself, and if the left of the party are not brought into line and momentum quashed he may have trouble keeping the party together as one entity.
  The extreme left have been undermining and gradually building within the party for a generation, and very nearly succeeded with Corbyn to take over the party. If they had won the election against May they would have done.
  They now are back to square one, in the background but pushing to get back as they were under Blair.
  With the young in education leaning to the left faction, will they be prepared to be subservient within the party? or could they break away? the extremists attached to the party have had a kicking, there will be a reaction.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2020, 12:41:21 pm by GazLaz »

He's a big Arsenal fan, likes his football.

I invited him to a game at the Keepmoat recently when we had a conversation, he said he'd love to come.

A friend of mine is friends with him. He’s meant to be quite a good player as well.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 04, 2020, 12:45:47 pm by SydneyRover »
With the health disaster going to take the best part of a year to 18 months to get the on top of and the financial disaster years more when B..... kicks in and it compounds the losses people may take a different view.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 04, 2020, 12:48:44 pm by SydneyRover »

More like a cult  :lol:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 04, 2020, 01:10:39 pm by tyke1962 »
Whatever will the Tory rags be thinking now ?

As far as I can see he's got to the very top of the Labour Party without making a single enemy .

Crown and public prosecutions top man and knighted for his services .

Working class kid whose rose to the top through study and hard work .

The classic pull yourself up by your bootstraps that the Tories are so fond of telling the electorate .

Well here he is .

The significant factor for me is that the Tory attack dog rags are going to have to play the ball on policy and not the man .

Little point in the heartlands pointing at the knighthood when they vote for a silver spoon fecker with Eton and Oxford on his cv and become lick spittles for the likes of Mogg and his hedge fund shenanigans .

I've never been under the illusion that the left could win on that ticket since Michael Foot was routed in 1983 despite my left wing stance , a New Labour relaunch will not work either .

Somewhere between the two and a very credible man leading is just about for me personally a compromise I'm more than willing to accept .

So much so I'll rejoin the party and do my bit .

Congratulations to Keir .

Game on now Johnson and deep down I suspect you know that .

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:19:37 pm by tyke1962 »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 04, 2020, 01:21:22 pm by tyke1962 »
   If he does not move the Party away from the South East London concentration he will be no more successful than Corbyn, and with the boundary changes will start off even further behind in the rest of the country.
   His back up team and their projection on radio and TV will be just as important as himself, and if the left of the party are not brought into line and momentum quashed he may have trouble keeping the party together as one entity.
  The extreme left have been undermining and gradually building within the party for a generation, and very nearly succeeded with Corbyn to take over the party. If they had won the election against May they would have done.
  They now are back to square one, in the background but pushing to get back as they were under Blair.
  With the young in education leaning to the left faction, will they be prepared to be subservient within the party? or could they break away? the extremists attached to the party have had a kicking, there will be a reaction.

I suspect Selby the left are far more willing to compromise under Starmer than some kind of New Labour reboot leader .

I think it's worth pointing out that Starmer was willing to work under Corbyn and not plot behind his back to remove him even though I suspect they didn't always agree on everything .

It's no longer about taking over the party in my opinion because that simply does not work at the ballot box .

14 years out of power should wake the feck up everyone .
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:23:58 pm by tyke1962 »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 04, 2020, 01:24:02 pm by drfchound »
I just heard Starmer on the news apologising for the anti Semitic stuff emanating from the Labour Party.
People on here were suggesting that there was no anti sematism going on.

He also said that he wanted to work with the government to help defeat the virus, without the need for petty point scoring.
Readers take note.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 04, 2020, 01:26:38 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
he got top marks for his involvement  in this David versus McGoliath case.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mcdonalds-fights-anarchist-couple-costs-of-libel-hearing-on-damaging-leaflet-set-to-top-pounds-1m-1425782.html

and did pro bono (free) work here

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/feb/16/foodanddrink1

BUT

some of his decisions "not to prosecute" when DPP  didn't go down well with the public ........  time will tell ...........   .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 04, 2020, 01:36:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I just heard Starmer on the news apologising for the anti Semitic stuff emanating from the Labour Party.
People on here were suggesting that there was no anti sematism going on.

He also said that he wanted to work with the government to help defeat the virus, without the need for petty point scoring.
Readers take note.

I think for the most part people were saying Corbyn isn't anti-Semitic but may make anti Israel government comments. There is/was members here and there that are anti-Semitic and have other prejudices, the same as the Conservative party (such as their leader) and other parties.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 04, 2020, 03:24:37 pm by foxbat »
And so the attacks begin from The Sun.

Sun Politics
'Millionaire Sir Kier Starmer set to crowned the new Labour leader'

The Sun will always hate Starmer because he opened the second phone hacking investigation that closed the News of the World. The Sun is still paying out millions in court for its own phone hacking and other privacy intrusions.

The Sun isn't a newspaper. It is and always will be a political campaigning tool for a morally bankrupt billionaire and his family, hell bent on subverting democracy for its own gain.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2020, 03:30:55 pm by Ldr »
Hang on, you start a thread entitled "Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson" to draw subconscious attention to a social status and now you cry because a rag has done the same? Hypocritical much?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 04, 2020, 03:31:30 pm by Filo »
And Momentum sticks their irrelevant oar in

In this new era Momentum will play a new role. We’ll hold Keir to account and make sure he keeps his promises, champion big ideas like the Green New Deal, build the power of Labour members and do everything we can to get a Labour government elected.  7/8

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 04, 2020, 03:34:43 pm by ChrisBx »
Excellent choice in my opinion. I would have liked Dr Rosena Allin-Khan to have won the deputy leadership position, however second-placed finish is a very good showing from her. Surely a significant shadow cabinet position awaits...

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 04, 2020, 03:35:05 pm by Ldr »
They're gone Filo, couple of years ppl wont even remember them. Labour has turned a corner now and will present a credible alternative to the electorate

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 04, 2020, 04:00:09 pm by selby »
Tyke, look back at my post and then take in Filo's latest post. Then ask yourself, if Labour do not split or momentum is and the attached Eco warriors are chucked out, how long it will take before either Starmer is gone or the party is less electable even more than they are now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2020, 04:09:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.

I've never managed to cotton onto what you actually want. All you ever do is criticise the Labour party, but you never say what you DO want.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012