Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:47:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 80527 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #30 on April 04, 2020, 04:13:10 pm by IDM »
Perhaps we should wait and see what actually happens with Labour over the next couple of years before passing judgement.?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 04, 2020, 04:17:03 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke, look back at my post and then take in Filo's latest post. Then ask yourself, if Labour do not split or momentum is and the attached Eco warriors are chucked out, how long it will take before either Starmer is gone or the party is less electable even more than they are now.

Selby , there isn't a Labour leader in history who has been able to square ALL the circles within the movement , not Atlee , not Wilson , certainly not Blair or Corbyn .

Disagreements don't necessarily lead to splits and I think the Starmer victory will be comprehensive evidence of that .

The party was more likely to split if RLB had won .

In tragic circumstances and definitely not what I would have chosen comes very fertile political ground over the next four years .

The argument over who picks up the coronavirus bill will be where the next election is fought .

Starmer needs to win that argument and I suspect with the sheer amount of people affected by this tragedy its an argument the tories will do well to win .

I take it as read that their donors and captains of free market capitalism won't be expected to go out and bat for the country if tory history is anything to go by .

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 04, 2020, 04:17:10 pm by foxbat »
Hypocrasy ?

dePfeffel Johnson is a ( born to rule ) Eton toff

Keir Starmer was born in Southwark, London, on 2 September 1962.[
] He was one of five children of Josephine , a nurse, and Rodney Starmer, a toolmaker.
Keir was named after the first Labour Party MP, Keir Hardie. He passed the 11-plus examination and gained entry to Reigate Grammar School.

maybe I'm not so keen on 'knowing my place'

but the question is ' Who do you think is best likely to represent your interest ? '

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 04, 2020, 04:19:23 pm by Ldr »
For me, Starmer, no shadow of doubt, as you know though, that's not what I was pulling you up on

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 04, 2020, 04:21:54 pm by scawsby steve »
First of all, congratulations to the bloke for his leadership victory, and I'll be the first to congratulate him if he becomes Prime Minister in 2024, because that's what I do.

However, he has a massive job in getting back on board all the Northern voters who deserted the Party last December, because of his stance on Brexit, and the perceived image of the Labour Party becoming the party of the London Metropolitan elite.

If Labour are to win in 2024, they desperately need those voters back.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 04, 2020, 04:42:41 pm by foxbat »
didn't take long for Brexit to rear it's ugly head

Keir Starmer former Labour  Brexit Secretary.

Everybody should note we are very short of nurses and doctors and agricultural workers..these were self inflicted by Boris and Gove. We must extend the transition period to review the wisdom of Brexit .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 04, 2020, 04:49:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
First of all, congratulations to the bloke for his leadership victory, and I'll be the first to congratulate him if he becomes Prime Minister in 2024, because that's what I do.

However, he has a massive job in getting back on board all the Northern voters who deserted the Party last December, because of his stance on Brexit, and the perceived image of the Labour Party becoming the party of the London Metropolitan elite.

SS.

Hang on.

Starmer, the son of a nurse and a toolmaker is a member of the elite?

Johnson, the Eton educated son of a father who went to Rugby school and who is the direct descendant of Turkish and German nobility is a man of the people?

Could you just run by me how that logic works? Only it seems to me that "Elite" has become one of the those really lazy words that is just chucked out as an insult against anyone that folk don't like.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 04, 2020, 04:57:56 pm by Donnywolf »
Tyke, look back at my post and then take in Filo's latest post. Then ask yourself, if Labour do not split or momentum is and the attached Eco warriors are chucked out, how long it will take before either Starmer is gone or the party is less electable even more than they are now.

Selby , there isn't a Labour leader in history who has been able to square ALL the circles within the movement , not Atlee , not Wilson , certainly not Blair or Corbyn .

Disagreements don't necessarily lead to splits and I think the Starmer victory will be comprehensive evidence of that .

The party was more likely to split if RLB had won .

In tragic circumstances and definitely not what I would have chosen comes very fertile political ground over the next four years .

The argument over who picks up the coronavirus bill will be where the next election is fought .

Starmer needs to win that argument and I suspect with the sheer amount of people affected by this tragedy its an argument the tories will do well to win .

I take it as read that their donors and captains of free market capitalism won't be expected to go out and bat for the country if tory history is anything to go by .

What I find bizarre and I had better post the  :chair: :chair: :chair: now is that whether or not the Labour Party is split in one direction or another one or even into 5 factions, we are (on average) as a nation all working class. I certainly am *

So what I have NEVER got is why (split or not) the working class people of this Country / Union dont just vote against the Conservative Party every single election there is.
Its a simplistic view from asimple bloke but ffs how many people around Donny (to name just one Northern town) are really Conservatives *
* Its still Barons (with the money and power) and Serfs (myself included) doing their bidding and enduring their ideals rules and philosophies
Better chuck in my last Chair  :chair:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 04, 2020, 05:05:01 pm by silent majority »
I would have preferred Lisa Nandy myself but congratulations to Sir Keir for winning decisively, nice speech too.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/keir-starmer-elected-to-succeed-jeremy-corbyn-as-labour-leader/

He's a big Arsenal fan, likes his football.

I invited him to a game at the Keepmoat recently when we had a conversation, he said he'd love to come.

A friend of mine is friends with him. He’s meant to be quite a good player as well.

He certainly moves in football circles. I was sat next to him at a PFA dinner and we talked about safe standing and other fan topics for most of the night. He knows his stuff.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 04, 2020, 05:06:56 pm by scawsby steve »

SS.

Hang on.

Starmer, the son of a nurse and a toolmaker is a member of the elite?

Johnson, the Eton educated son of a father who went to Rugby school and who is the direct descendant of Turkish and German nobility is a man of the people?

Could you just run by me how that logic works? Only it seems to me that "Elite" has become one of the those really lazy words that is just chucked out as an insult against anyone that folk don't like.

I was waiting for someone to pull me up on that, but I didn't expect it to be you, because I thought your understanding of semantics was better than that.

Read my post carefully. I said "the perceived image" of the Labour Party becoming the party of the London Metropolitan elite.

That was the view being banded about by many Northern voters during the Election campaign. Take it up with them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 04, 2020, 05:14:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So go on. What is your take? Do you think he and his party are part of the Elite?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 04, 2020, 05:22:59 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I think Starmer has a few key battles ahead including managing the antisemetic issues without caving in to the BoD. That's a tough one where if he stands up and deals with the processes reasonably and the BoD continiue with their cushy media position, he'll get labelled as AS. If he goes 100% with them as so far he has suggested, he'll lose a lot of support in the party.

I used to think his dull and awkward media performances would be his biggest battle, but I'm thinking the public's thirst for the populist Johnson/Trump/Farage style might wane and save him on that score -  we'll see.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 04, 2020, 05:51:51 pm by BigH »
I'll be raising a glass tonight.

Thank heavens the Corbyn nightmare is finally coming to an end.

Agent Corbyn, the man who did more to put the tories in power than any tory politician could ever do.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 04, 2020, 07:14:45 pm by scawsby steve »
So go on. What is your take? Do you think he and his party are part of the Elite?

Personally, I'm not keen on the word "Elite", because it can mean lots of different things. For example, lots of political pundits use the term "the Liberalist Elite" to describe liberalists who take the moral high ground on everything. The Lib Dems are full of them.

However, Greater London seems to be more of a Labour stronghold than the North of England at the moment. Surely that situation needs to be addressed if Labour are to have a chance in 2024.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 04, 2020, 07:23:39 pm by Copps is Magic »
Let's be honest.

This thread is a microcosm about how politics is still driven by a cult of personality.

If I asked you to describe Keir Starmer's politics would you be able to (without googling)? Be honest.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:30:01 pm by Copps is Magic »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 04, 2020, 08:16:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS

Those people who "take the moral high ground"?

What exactly do you mean by that?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 04, 2020, 10:33:59 pm by SydneyRover »
SS-you have congratulated him and Selby? do you want KS to do well, the labour party to win? I'm with DW could never ever vote on the right I don't understand where you're coming from, one an ex minier and both of you spend you're time putting the boot into labour.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 04, 2020, 10:43:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The right choice personality wis,  let's see how he goes policy wise.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 04, 2020, 10:54:28 pm by SydneyRover »
Right choice on many fronts a man that has moved in lots of circles, well educated with a good grounding and a champion of human rights, bingo

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 05, 2020, 12:01:06 am by tyke1962 »
Right choice on many fronts a man that has moved in lots of circles, well educated with a good grounding and a champion of human rights, bingo

Glad the cult myth has been taken out of play and democracy delivered the credible leader .

Needs a good team around him mind !! .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 05, 2020, 07:55:03 am by drfchound »
SS-you have congratulated him and Selby? do you want KS to do well, the labour party to win? I'm with DW could never ever vote on the right I don't understand where you're coming from, one an ex minier and both of you spend you're time putting the boot into labour.

Sydney, the thing is, not everyone thinks the same way.
Surely you can understand that?
Have you also considered that it might have been the a Labour policies that people have been putting the boot into, not necessarily the Party.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 05, 2020, 08:26:08 am by SydneyRover »
Of course I understand that hound i just thought if they were labour supporters as they keep maintaining they may post something positive about them even if only occasionaly especially under he circumstances where the tories have reduced the average person's wealth, access to good health care, workers rights ..............

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 05, 2020, 09:55:39 am by DonnyOsmond »

Sydney, the thing is, not everyone thinks the same way.
Surely you can understand that?
Have you also considered that it might have been the a Labour policies that people have been putting the boot into, not necessarily the Party.

Majority of their policies were supported. On most polls afterwards the two things people didn't like about Labour were Corbyn and their stance on Brexit.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 05, 2020, 11:19:35 am by BigH »
Unfortunately, the two were inextricably linked.

A congenital ditherer as leader who promoted a dithery policy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 05, 2020, 11:58:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I said this about Corbyn 4 years ago, and it turned out right.

Corbyn was never up to the job. Because he is steeped in the kind of left-ist politics that I despaired of in the 1980s. Where being seen to be "ideologically sound" is more important than convincing the people who disagree with you.

And as a result, he's been shambolic from the off. The ridiculous issue about whether he would kneel before the Queen. There were two bleeding obvious answer to that question: "Yes of course I will; she's our Head of State and kneeling is the convention" or "No I won't as a matter of principle". Corbyn knew he couldn't say the latter without making himself unelectable. But he couldn't bring himself to say the former. So instead he ducked the issue for a week. It dominated the headlines. And then he grudgingly said that he would. Leaving the unmistakable impression that he didn't want to, but didn't have the backbone to say so. Utterly amateurish. Allowing the story to be written on him, instead of controlling the agenda.

He compounded it by his absolutely stupid handling of the Salisbury affair. There is no way on earth that the British electorate would elect a LotO who stands up in Parliament and says, in effect, I trust the leader of a hostile power over the word of the British security services. But that was an entirely expected redoo se from a man who has spent his life in bubbles where that IS the standard belief. Who has spent his life surrounded by people like Seumas Milne who said we mustn't publicly criticise Putin flattening Aleppo because it "distracts attention" from the crimes of Britain and America.

It was that side of Corbyn that made him unelectable. Self-indulgent undergraduate level historical and foreign policy critique that made them feel of being Britain-haters.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 05, 2020, 12:14:49 pm by tyke1962 »
I firmly believe that if you don't win a GE then you should step down as leader .

Corbyn didn't win the 2017 GE and he should have gone there and then .

Instead he looked upon it as some kind of victory because he didn't get routed as was expected a few weeks before .

I never understood why he stayed on .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 05, 2020, 05:03:28 pm by scawsby steve »
SS

I can't believe someone as intelligent as you is even asking that question. There are countless examples of it, far too many to mention them all on here, but I'll give you a couple of examples.

After her humiliating defeat in the Election, that clown Jo Swinson got on her soapbox and practically accused the nation of being full of racists and xenophobes. Who the f*cking hell does she think she is?

A similar thing was going on with this forum during the last 3 years, with people being accused of being racist and xenophobic because they voted for Brexit. I've never been racist and xenophobic in my entire life, so what right have people who don't even know me to accuse me of those things?

That's what's known as taking the moral high ground, but I think you already knew that.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 05, 2020, 05:26:01 pm by scawsby steve »

Well done Sydney, you've just confirmed how confused you are about certain things. First of all, there's only one thing I've ever accused Labour of, and that's their stance on Brexit, which I always maintained would lose them the Election, and was proved right.

As regards the other thing, have you heard of the word "magnanimous"? I always congratulate people on achieving things, whether or not I like them or agree with them, because to do otherwise is acting like a sore loser or a petulant child.

I think you know exactly what I mean.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 05, 2020, 05:35:59 pm by Iberian Red »
SS

I can't believe someone as intelligent as you is even asking that question. There are countless examples of it, far too many to mention them all on here, but I'll give you a couple of examples.

After her humiliating defeat in the Election, that clown Jo Swinson got on her soapbox and practically accused the nation of being full of racists and xenophobes. Who the f*cking hell does she think she is?

A similar thing was going on with this forum during the last 3 years, with people being accused of being racist and xenophobic because they voted for Brexit. I've never been racist and xenophobic in my entire life, so what right have people who don't even know me to accuse me of those things?

That's what's known as taking the moral high ground, but I think you already knew that.

You've hardly backed up your opinion in a credible way there.
1) You used the word 'practically'.
2) Your own opinion of what others may or may not think of you.
1/10. Must do better.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 05, 2020, 06:04:26 pm by selby »
Steve, you have done well there, one out of ten from a no mark.  Miss Beal  and Mr Dixon would have been proud  of you.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012